Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Magic Carpet 10.0

Created by husq2100 > 9 months ago, 18 Jun 2010
husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
18 Jun 2010 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

had a surf of my mates 10 foot Magic Carpet @ surfers paradise this arvo. Was suprised how well it surfed for a 10 foot board, and considering the small surf. Heaps of fun, paddled well with nice glide....not sure on the width but as stable as my Chris Garrett 9.8 which is 28 wide. It was set up as a quad, and the first time Ive riden one....got to say I like it. My current board i'm riding is a 9.0 Chris Garrett so a little bit different. Im pretty sure the grip was factory and it was good and comfy.

these boards look really nicely shaped and finished. Although there not localy made there are shaped and designed by locals (Sam and Luke Egan) and there company is based here

Serg

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
18 Jun 2010 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

ok so some green thumbed me and now there gone meaning some red thumbed me..........PUT UP OR SHUT UP

Serg

Bnaccas
VIC, 1722 posts
19 Jun 2010 12:19AM
Thumbs Up

Husq, so Magic Carpet have gone offshore with production? Interesting.

I thought they'd just keep pumping out customs on the Goldy. Any idea where they are getting made?

rollo90
QLD, 221 posts
19 Jun 2010 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

Bnaccas said...

Husq, so Magic Carpet have gone offshore with production? Interesting.

I thought they'd just keep pumping out customs on the Goldy. Any idea where they are getting made?

you can still get customs made, but the production boards come in a 8'6,9'0,9'6,10'0,11'0. they are a foam sandwich tufflite construction.
i know most may have seen luke egan on utube.

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
19 Jun 2010 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

as Rollo90 said. Im not sure where they are made, and dont know the "actual" construction...finish is as good as any Surftech or Naish. At a guess Id be putting these in the same league as the Simon Anderson and LSD boards.

Serg

Bnaccas
VIC, 1722 posts
19 Jun 2010 11:22AM
Thumbs Up

Probably out of Thailand. Don't think Luke would go to China for boards.

snappy
NSW, 66 posts
19 Jun 2010 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

The red board in the video is Jimmy Lewis 10' not a magic carpet at all.You can clearly see the black stripes and the shark logo.

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
19 Jun 2010 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

what board was he riding at the begining and end (mostly yellow)???

snappy
NSW, 66 posts
19 Jun 2010 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

I think it's a custom shaped by Sam.

chopsyify
QLD, 66 posts
19 Jun 2010 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

im pretty sure that magic carpet are owned by js industries and are shaped at his factory in tweed heads

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
19 Jun 2010 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

chopsyify said...

im pretty sure that magic carpet are owned by js industries and are shaped at his factory in tweed heads

from what I know they are under the banner of JS industries and the custom SUPB's are made there, but the board I road and its range certainly are not made there.

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
19 Jun 2010 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

so the thumbers are back....My guess is this is the only place you get to use your thumbs as your under someone elses at home......if you dont agree with my op then discuss it rather than cheerleading like a bunch of school girls

Serg

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
19 Jun 2010 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

husq2100 said...

so the thumbers are back....My guess is this is the only place you get to use your thumbs as your under someone elses at home......if you dont agree with my op then discuss it rather than cheerleading like a bunch of school girls

Serg

well said

Oh if i could ask, currently on a 10.6 psh wide,looking for something more aggressive for 100 kg old guy any suggestions

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
19 Jun 2010 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

husq2100 said...

Serg

well said

Oh if i could ask, currently on a 10.6 psh wide,looking for something more aggressive for 100 kg old guy any suggestions

first off, Im no guru.

I weigh 85kgs and started on a 10.7 mal shapped sup,then went to a 9.8 Chris Garrett (still own it) and now riding a 9.0 Chris Garrett.

Im really really happy with the design and ride of the CG's but being custom type construction they do ding etc more easily and have had them repaird a few times. My first board was a Surftech tufflite and it copped a flogging as I learned on it. They only time I cracked it open was with my head on a sucky Lacey's bank. head to rail I call it

they do paint chip down the sides from paddle scuffs but thats better than taking water on.

I have friends that are very happy with:
Naish
Psh
Magic Carpet
Surftech
Laguna Bay

I have never met you but have read bits and pieces here that lead me to believe you to be a good surfer, if your looking for a good performace sup but not a custom I would definitly try to find a Magic Carpet to try.

its funny how guys in the shortboard business dont understand why we want to try before buying, apart from the huge dollars (pretty much double of a top custom Sb) theres more going on on a SUB, like paddle gluide, stability and surfability...

Im not here to knock other brands and im not afiliated with these at all. I just though it may be good to hear about yet another local company designing good sups. we hear plenty about Naish, PSH and DC which is good, but there are WAY more choices out there.... the more we support the diversity the more we will be rewarded.

PS id also check out the Simon Anderson and LSD boards

Serg

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
19 Jun 2010 6:10PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers husq, no expert at all on a sup total kook to be honest and admire some of the stuff posted on this site.
Yep surfed shortboards for a thousand years and helped some well known shortboard brands to bigger and better things design wise,anyhow as life as it is,you pack on some mass and that turned me into mals which is my passion until the sup thing came along,which is so refreshing.
I've witnessed both Sam and Luke at my local on sup's a while back which helped me think about buying one.

So what should I get next, volume in mind

billboard
QLD, 2816 posts
19 Jun 2010 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

husq2100 said...

Serg

well said

Easy - a 9'3 Bobsled Quad.

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
19 Jun 2010 8:39PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

Cheers husq, no expert at all on a sup total kook to be honest and admire some of the stuff posted on this site.
Yep surfed shortboards for a thousand years and helped some well known shortboard brands to bigger and better things design wise,anyhow as life as it is,you pack on some mass and that turned me into mals which is my passion until the sup thing came along,which is so refreshing.
I've witnessed both Sam and Luke at my local on sup's a while back which helped me think about buying one.

So what should I get next, volume in mind

the funny thing with sups is they can perform within a different weight range and they also cant....it only takes 3-5kg over point "x" to make them a PITA.

point in case, a mate rides a Naish 8.4 and rides it well. I go ok (not crap, but not good or great) I tried it once and struggled to paddle it, he weighs 75 and I weigh 85...yes there are some 85kg guys riding the 8.4 but they are very very good....but I bet plenty of 80kg guys could ride them fine

By the sounds of it you know what your looking at when you pick up a board as far as design and shape go, and alot of that is personal. without knowing what YOU like and what style you want to surf I would say go to Geenline and Roar and anywhere else you can demo boards. Im guessing you have a length in mind, so that may be a starting point.

Try and find a Magic Carpet 10 to have a go on, yep its only 6 inches shorter but that may be the difference your looking for. I believe they also do a 9.6 or 9.8???? so that may work as well

I would also try to find a 10.0 Mctavish sup. I surfed their 9, and while it paddled a bit funny for me it surfed wicked(set up as a quad)

This whole surfing/sup'ing thing is very personal, in that I mean there is VERY little black and white or right and wrong....just what you like. For me I only Sup, I have never surfed. So it doesnt bother me for a board to be a challenge when I first get it as I know I wont be riding anything else and will get better (eventually) for others they only sup when not SB/LB so they dont what the board to be as difficult...generally speaking a better surfing board will be more difficult to paddle etc

Serg

rollo90
QLD, 221 posts
21 Jun 2010 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

here are some pics of my 10'0 MC and paddle

tha dogman
NSW, 2912 posts
21 Jun 2010 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

that is one great looking stick rollo

the tail looks sweet in the photo

yewwwww

rollo90
QLD, 221 posts
21 Jun 2010 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

thanks dogman, this board goes like a rocket.

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
21 Jun 2010 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

tha dogman said...

that is one great looking stick rollo

the tail looks sweet in the photo

yewwwww

Is it a swallow or rounded square Optical illusion or too many wines

Nice stick just needs a pixie nose

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
22 Jun 2010 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

rounded square, take a look at the first pic....but year other than that pic it was hard to tell. Other boards Ive surfed that it would compare to are, 9.8psh 9.6psh (not the new ones) 9.3 naish and my 9.8 Chris Garret. I felt it better all round than the PSH and Naish and as good as but diffferent to my Chriss Garrett. Remembering it was set up as a quad, which worked well in the 2-3 beach break i was surfing....it was alot of fun stayed out for 1.5hrs....mate didnt mind

rollo90
QLD, 221 posts
22 Jun 2010 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

here are all board dimensions

8'6 30 4 5/8 SWALLOW
9'0 291/2 4 5/8 SWALLOW
9'6 29 4 1/2 THUMB
10'0 281/2 4 1/4 CHIZEL SQUARE
11'0 281/2 4 1/4 THUMB

rollo90
QLD, 221 posts
23 Jun 2010 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

rollo90 said...

8'6 30 4 5/8 SWALLOW
9'0 291/2 4 5/8 SWALLOW
9'6 29 4 1/2 THUMB
11'0 281/2 4 1/4 THUMB

this might give a better idea of board range in production

rodriguez
VIC, 883 posts
23 Jun 2010 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

Rollo, what sort of $'s are they looking at ? also what price for the paddle? cheers Rod.

rollo90 said...

rollo90 said...

8'6 30 4 5/8 SWALLOW
9'0 291/2 4 5/8 SWALLOW
9'6 29 4 1/2 THUMB
11'0 281/2 4 1/4 THUMB

this might give a better idea of board range in production

rollo90
QLD, 221 posts
23 Jun 2010 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

$around 1950 retail board paddle and grip.
pm as I might be able to get a good deal at the moment for any crew on seabreeze

Adapt
QLD, 723 posts
23 Jun 2010 10:52PM
Thumbs Up

Its so good once again to see so many local shapers designing SUP's. I'd definately prefer to try and buy local before getting something from OS. Hey rollo90 is there anywhere we can demo one of these boards? Cause good old tax return time is coming up.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Magic Carpet 10.0" started by husq2100