Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Mentawais - Wavepark-SUP only trip, 10-21 Nov-2011

Created by Garethg > 9 months ago, 3 May 2011
Garethg
NSW, 406 posts
3 May 2011 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Wavepark Resort, Mentawais is extending their 2011 season for a custom SUP only trip. The resort caters for a maximum of 12 surfers, but will run this SUP trip if a minimum of 8 people book.

The SUP only concept was developed after a recent trip this year. There are fewer people around, and it allows the guests at the resort to talk "SUP" - for ten days straight. I am not employed by Wavepark and will struggle to get there in November, but it is a great idea......

There are some 21 breaks surrounding the resort, which are accessed from the resort by two speed boats. The boats head off every morning and afternoon to different waves according to the groups preferences and ability.

Arguably the best time of year for SUP's in the shoulder season, the waves are normally in the 3-5 ft range and there are few charter boats around.

The trip costs around 3,100 US for the 11 days, plus connecting flights, and includes meals, boat transfers to the breaks and surf guides etc.

An optional photo package is available to capture the memories.

Shoot any questions through to me or the guys at Wavepark - www.wavepark.com.

This trip will marked throughout the US and Europe over the coming weeks, so don't hang around.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
4 May 2011 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Been there and done it, best trip ever I recomend this trip to anyone

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
4 May 2011 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

doggie said...

Been there and done it, best trip ever I recommend this trip to anyone

I see you were involved in a lot of research/reviews on this place over in the SB forum Doggie. To save me rummaging through all that - what are the waves generally like in mid November?

Dazza65
QLD, 389 posts
4 May 2011 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Looks awesome and I have only ever heard great stories about the place. Wish I could go. I was supposed to be heading up to Indo on friday but had to cancel due to my pending son deciding to complicate things. Maybe next year

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
4 May 2011 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Casso said...

doggie said...

I see you were involved in a lot of research/reviews on this place over in the SB forum Doggie. To save me rummaging through all that - what are the waves generally like in mid November?

I was there in late Sept/ early Oct 09.

You do get flat days but there are always swell magnets there. One place is called Tikis or Napussi, it breaks when there is no swell at all and will be 4ft - head high.
Alice and Christie are the nicest people and will go out of their way to get you into great waves

Btw I stayed in the beach shack in the last pic, quality

Scotty88
4214 posts
4 May 2011 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

Place looks like paradise. Reminds me of the time I spent at G-land circa 95. They were the days. The pre-married with children days. Just waiting for my mid life crisis to kick in and I'll be there.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
4 May 2011 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

Scotty88 said...

Place looks like paradise. Reminds me of the time I spent at G-land circa 95. They were the days. The pre-married with children days. Just waiting for my mid life crisis to kick in and I'll be there.

Dont wait just go!!

Garethg
NSW, 406 posts
4 May 2011 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Casso said...

doggie said...

I reckon Australian Paddle Surfer Mag needs to review some equipment

surfbabysurf
NSW, 36 posts
4 May 2011 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Ahhhh, Burgerworld. It would be a great wave to SUP on. I was there last year and it was the funnest, easy most playful wave. Highy recommended.

Fergus
WA, 136 posts
5 May 2011 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

Burgerworld on a SUP.

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
5 May 2011 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

Garethg said...

I reckon Australian Paddle Surfer Mag needs to review some equipment

And Wavepark itself - I feel some free accommodation coming on...

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
5 May 2011 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Fergus said...

Burgerworld on a SUP.

That does look like fun Fergus. Great back drop for photos and video. Cool stuff.

Garethg
NSW, 406 posts
16 Jun 2011 5:50AM
Thumbs Up

This trip needs some more guys / gals to make it happen, there are some guys temporarily booked on this SUP only trip. This would be a crazy trip if Wavepark gets the 8 guys required to make it happen.

Check out these photos of the shots of the day.

wavepark.com/pages/mentawai-resorts-photographs-daily.htm

Contact Alice at Wavepark to confirm your place.

poseidon
QLD, 35 posts
16 Jun 2011 1:01PM
Thumbs Up

I did a boat trip around that area last year. Sure had some fun waves and stuff but too expensive and too packed. Damn a pack of sups rocking up to one of the surf spots there would be a nightmare. Remember its normally only set waves that ya surf and it can be a bit of a wait in between. You won't get uncrowded waves as wavepark, there are several land camps there and it is part of the milk run for all the charter boats (god knows how many).

Look it is good, but I don't see the point in paying a heap of cash to surf with a stack of people. Can do that for free here on the goldcoast.

Bnaccas
VIC, 1722 posts
16 Jun 2011 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

A friend of mine does Pitstop Hill early November every year.
He has done late September as well.

He rekons the swell is almost as good, still consistent but a little smaller. average 3 to 5'.
He did say crowds are way less in November, they had breaks to themselves most days.
Also the wind is lighter during the transition between seasons.

I'd go if I had the coin, the wave at Wavepark looks like some serious fun as well!

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
16 Jun 2011 1:47PM
Thumbs Up

Bnaccas said...

A friend of mine does Pitstop Hill early November every year.
He has done late September as well.

He rekons the swell is almost as good, still consistent but a little smaller. average 3 to 5'.
He did say crowds are way less in November, they had breaks to themselves most days.
Also the wind is lighter during the transition between seasons.

I'd go if I had the coin, the wave at Wavepark looks like some serious fun as well!

Hide a ways is an awesome wave, sit/stand deep at the take off!!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Mentawais - Wavepark-SUP only trip, 10-21 Nov-2011" started by Garethg