Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Merimbula Classic 2011

Created by rps > 9 months ago, 6 Oct 2011
rps
VIC, 605 posts
6 Oct 2011 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

I couldn't resist being the first to post this.

Usual big Vicco contingent heading up.

And our own DJ who is attending his 31st Merimbula Classic. A record, as he is the only non-Merimbula person to have entered every year since it's inception.

Maybe there should be a bronze statue of him at Ford Oval.

Count down to the 31st Classic

Once again Corona will be out major sponsor

The oval will be open and secured nightly for those who wish to set up displays

There will be a kite repair service courtesy of Kitepower

There will be SUP fitness clinics on beach

There will be two SUP races courtesy Balmoral Baords…Beach to Bar (Sat am) and Battle of the Paddle (Sunday am) more details coming

There will be the famous club BBQ

There will be the Corona beer tent

There will be a coffee bar

There will be six foot waves and 20 knots of wind as well as glassy sessions until 11am for the SUP Surf sessions

And that's only the day time stuff!!!

Latest DVDs will be shown on Thursday night

Friday will be a fashion parade

Saturdays live band…how much can a kola beer!!

This is artwork by local artist Stan Squire

These will decorate ts and poster

30 original signed lino prints will be used as trophies

2 will be raffled to raise funds to pay for education of the Late Phil Carrall's adopted Balinese children

MORE INFO

JOHN SMYTHE 0407260015

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
6 Oct 2011 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Nice one Warwick.. .. The poster looks great.. I wonder if the T shirt will have the same print?.. Jeez it's only a few weeks away now..

DJ

aus301
QLD, 2039 posts
6 Oct 2011 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

Nice one Warwick.. .. The poster looks great.. I wonder if the T shirt will have the same print?.. Jeez it's only a few weeks away now..

DJ

I hope so, back to days of old with the cool/collectors item Merimbula comp shirts.

Ahhh 2 weeks off work with the comp in the middle... I can't wait.

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
6 Oct 2011 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

Bring it on!!

Can't wait to catch up with all the crew.

See you all soon,

JB

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
16 Oct 2011 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

A bit more info.

DJ

Some info re the 31sty Classic

More will be added in coming weeks to :

www.merimbulasailboardclub.com.au

Welcoming briefing at 10am Thursday 24th November followed by registration at club shed Main beach merimbula..follow smell of bacon eggs rolls and coffee.

Oval will be opened from 7am for those wanting to set up tents displays etc.

All evenings will be at Merimbula Bowling Club (club Sapphire)

Thursday is DVD night

Friday is Fashion at the beach night so anyone wanting to show of clothing items can do so. To be compered by Craig Thomson.

Saturdays theme night with live Band will be Aussie how much can a koala beer...no dogs...South Australians exempt

THE 2011 MERIMBULA CLASSIC

Wave sailing kite surfing Stand Up Paddle surfing

The longest running event of its type in the world

Dear Sponsors
Merimbula Sailboard Club will be hosting the 31st Merimbula Classic from Thursday 24th to Sunday 27th November 2011.

The Classic encompasses three water disciplines Stand Up Paddle (SUP) surfing, wave sailing and kite surfing. So there is always something happening in the water from dawn to dusk.

This popular event attracts over 280 competitors from around Australia and overseas to Merimbula. Competitors from the US and Hawaii, Fiji, Greece, Great Britain, Noumea, Tahiti, the Carribean, Japan and NZ as well as Australia's hottest riders.

Being at the beginning of summer the Classic is an ideal opportunity for sponsors to showcase their products, and being half way between Melbourne and Sydney and 2 to 3 hours drive from Canberra ensures a good turn up of both competitors and spectators.

The event generates great publicity throughout the SUP, wave sailing and kite surfing media as well as coverage and exposure, both locally and nationally.

Seabreeze forums buzz with the hype before and after each event,

Seabreeze.com.au has been awarded “Australia's Most Popular Watersports Website” for the 2nd year running with over 500,000 visitors every month.

KITE BOARDER magazine and KITE Mag and Australian paddle surfer Magazine had extensive coverage of last year's event, as well as actively promoting the event during the year.

We supply event footage for Channel 10's Sports Tonight.

The Programme is sent out as an inset in local south coast papers and the Canberra Times (Circ.40,000)

The support of sponsors has been overwhelming and Merimbula Sailboard Club, through the event, has encouraged all participants to support those sponsors. We hope that you benefit from association with such a popular event held at the start of the surfing/sailing/kiting season.

For our 31st event we offer sponsors the following benefits:

You become part of this long established popular event,

All sponsors names appear on the poster that stays up long after the event as a “collectors item.”

Sponsors flags/banners are flown during the event and promo items distributed.

Sponsors can display their products at the venue during the event

All sponsors logos appear on our web-site > www.merimbulasailboardclub.com.au

Thursday night is DVD/Video night where sponsors can play their latest promo videos

Friday night will be Fashions at the beach and an opportunity for clothing wear sponsors to have their beach gear on display

Sponsors details are listed in the programme (40,000 circ.)
At the presentation your prizes are lavishly presented for all to see.

Could you please confirm by return e-mail if you wish to be included and please include a phone contact.

Yours Sincerely, Phone: 02 64956617

John Smythe mobile: 0407260015

Contest co-ordinator

abalone1@bigpond.com

Could you please send prizes, banners and promo items to address below to reach us by week ending Friday 17th November 2011

FREIGHT ADDRESS: MERIMBULA SAILBOARD CLUB

ATT:JOHN SMYTHE

MERIMBULA CALTEX

MERIMBULA DRIVE

MERIMBULA 2548

hj
4 posts
15 Nov 2011 8:02AM
Thumbs Up

A long time windsurfing contestant, Dave, has booked a unit across the road from the beach and now finds that his friend has dropped out. He is looking to share the rent here with someone. There are 2 bedrooms.. double in one room and twin beds in the other so this would suit couple or singles. Cheap rent! If you are interested please call Dave on (02)93372268

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
15 Nov 2011 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

Some SA guys are looking for somewhere (Scotty) ..I'll pass it on.

DJ

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
15 Nov 2011 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

We have a place booked in now, David thanks for asking.

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
15 Nov 2011 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah good QLD crew coming as well , can't wait

angie pangi
QLD, 1779 posts
15 Nov 2011 11:51AM
Thumbs Up

YEW!!! Can't Wait to do it all again :)

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
15 Nov 2011 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

Are the races all 12'6" or 14?

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
15 Nov 2011 3:33PM
Thumbs Up

Scotty Mac said...

I think anything goes.. There's only one rule.. No whinning..

DJ

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
15 Nov 2011 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

Scotty Mac said...

I think anything goes.. There's only one rule.. No whinning..

DJ

Bugger it then, I'm not going.

Newmo
VIC, 471 posts
15 Nov 2011 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

Hitting the road early monday morning for a lunchtime touchdown in Merimbula.
Just have to work out what to take with me.

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
15 Nov 2011 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

Can someone confirm travel time by car and apx distance from the following:-

Gold Coast to Merimbula
Sydney to Merimbula
Melborne to Merimbula
Canberra to Merimbula

Thanks Rob

rps
VIC, 605 posts
15 Nov 2011 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Melb - Merimbula 6.5 - 7 hrs.

aus301
QLD, 2039 posts
15 Nov 2011 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

Piros said...

Gold Coast to Merimbula
Sydney to Merimbula
Melborne to Merimbula
Canberra to Merimbula

Thanks Rob

Rob,

Here is approx what it took us last year...

Gold Coast to Merimbula - 17 hours. Last year we came home straight through. Left Merimbula at about 7am and I guess and got home at about midnight. We kept to the coast road the whole way, heading up through Nowra, and up through Coffs and and Grafton etc.

Sydney to Merimbula - Sydney leg took us about 6 hours.

I used to live in Canberra and did the drive to Merimbula a fair bit from there...

Canberra to Merimbula - about 3 hours.

We are doing the drive down and back to the Goldy again this year, the road trip with your mates is part of the adventure. We are leaving on Sunday to get some waves or wind around Port on the way down and then spend a couple of days at Gerroa before heading to Merimbula some time on Wednesday.

Probably take a few days to get back this year instead of doing the straight through thing again.

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
15 Nov 2011 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

Piros said...

Sydney to Merimbula

Thanks Rob

450 odd ks about 6 hours and if you need to know theres good coffee in Sutherland, Berry, Milton, & Cobargo!!!! Just ask me for specifics lol

Enjoy the drive wave as you go past........

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
15 Nov 2011 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that it seems to be in the middle of everywhere , I'm going to be doing a story on it again this year on it (SUPWORLD) and I'm trying to work out the best way for people all over Aus to get there.

Seems like Canberra is the closet hub.. is there any other airline other than Rex that flies to Merimbula , or does someone have better ways of getting there.

Gold Coast to Merimbula 17 hours
Sydney to Merimbula 6 hours
Melborne to Merimbula 6.5 to 7 hours
Canberra to Merimbula 3 hours

aus301
QLD, 2039 posts
15 Nov 2011 8:11PM
Thumbs Up

Piros said...

Thanks for that it seems to be in the middle of everywhere , I'm going to be doing a story on it again this year on it (SUPWORLD) and I'm trying to work out the best way for people all over Aus to get there.

Seems like Canberra is the closet hub.. is there any other airline other than Rex that flies to Merimbula , or does someone have better ways of getting there.

Gold Coast to Merimbula 17 hours
Sydney to Merimbula 6 hours
Melborne to Merimbula 6.5 to 7 hours
Canberra to Merimbula 3 hours

Canberra is the closest for sure, and I am pretty sure you are correct Rex is the only option into Merimbula.

Just be careful flying into Canberra on Qantas if the flight is going via Sydney as QantasLink run the Dash 8 between Sydney and Canberra on some flights, and you won't get a board on one of those flights if you were considering bringing one down.

alfamale
QLD, 138 posts
15 Nov 2011 11:37PM
Thumbs Up

Rob, I have been making the trek to Merimbula for many, many years and have:
Driven from the Goldy in one hit
Driven down slowly over a couple of weeks.
Flown into Sydney and driven from there.
Flown to Sydney, then flown into Merimbula.
Flown to Canberra, then driven to Merimbula.
By far the best option is the last one, its the quickest and easiest - its only an easy 3 hour drive from Canberra.
Cheers

Ian Grose
TAS, 423 posts
Site Sponsor
16 Nov 2011 12:40AM
Thumbs Up

You guys on the East Coast have it pretty easy, this will be the third time I will have driven to Merimbula from Perth, direct it is close to 4,000KM each way.

Last year I went up and down the coast quite a bit and ended up doing a bit over 30,000km, this year I am hoping to keep it down to about 15,000km.

The rest of the guys from Perth generally fly into Canberra, it is certainly the easier drive.

I left Perth Saturday and am now in Adelaide to do Starboard Demos over the next few days then onto Torquay and Melbourne for demos this weekend and to pick up Annabel Anderson, then Merimbula on Thursday week.

I guess if DJ has driven every year he will have covered over 36,000km driving Melbourne - Merimbula over the last few years.... That's a bloody good record 31 years...

See you at Merimbula,

Ian
SUP.net.au

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
16 Nov 2011 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Do any of your Queenslanders want to earn a slab for your first evening in Merimbula? If so I need a board cover brought down from the Goldie and would much appreciate some help. I can meet you at the Sparks Road exit on the F3 approx. 100km north of Sydney. It will be a quick and easy drop off. I am happy to donate a box of amber coloured liquid to your trip if you would be so kind.

PM me if you are keen. Thanks.

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
16 Nov 2011 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the input it's a big help , how's this is for a big effort:-

You guys on the East Coast have it pretty easy, this will be the third time I will have driven to Merimbula from Perth, direct it is close to 4,000KM each way.

That's a mighty effort Ian , have to catch up for a drink.

John Smythe
NSW, 33 posts
16 Nov 2011 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Good to hear you all getting revved up for the trip...a long way for some...and even longer for others...so give yourselves plenty of time...make it so you don't have to leave Sunday night as the Preso is a hoot....
Hope you like the poster it was done by local artist who was so bored in Henry's class as a kid he'd draw waves all day....HJ gave him an f but who's laughing now? Check Stan's other great stuff out on stansquire.com or something like that or go to link on www.merimbulasailboardclub.com.au
Yes the artwork is a back print on the T-shirts with a Corona logo on front.
The originals will be signed and given as major prizes.Two will be raffled to raise money for (the late) Phil Carrall's Balinese kids education and smaller framed one will make up rest of trophies.

You'll note the return of the head judge on the poster aka dog who's mates were in fine form last year....as a newy we will have a fashion parade on Friday night with a guest compere......and don't forget your koala gear for Saturday night.....any recent DVDs can be put on big screen on Thursday night ...and all nights will be in Club Sapphire (Bowling Club) which has heaps of room and allows dogs..c u Thursday

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Merimbula Classic 2011" started by rps