Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

NEW 2013 Starboard Catalogue - New Pics

Created by Teeps > 9 months ago, 22 Oct 2012
Teeps
VIC, 228 posts
22 Oct 2012 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Picked up a copy of the new 2013 Starboard SUP catalogue today, and thought I'd share some images of the new race boards and colours. Pretty cool, with added dolphins...

The new range and colours. Apparently the AST is grey and the carbon grey/black due to rubbing back the paint.

Connor in action on a 14' Allstar

the All Star.

the new Ace. Gone is the lump in between the footwells and looks like quite a step up at the back. Pics may be misleading but will be interesting to see how far back you can go.

the Sprint. Freaky looking thing, designed for flat out on flat water. Wouldn't want much water from behind.

3 models was to head.

They are also continuing the K15, a board I own and love but may need to make way for a 14' Allstar as my go to DW board.

There you have it. Can't wait to see them in action.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
22 Oct 2012 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Here's another..

DJ

mocka
WA, 40 posts
22 Oct 2012 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Have a look at the fin set up for the Allstar and Ace boards, quad and thruster boxes but the team riders prefer the quad fin set up!!!! oops misprint.

Teeps
VIC, 228 posts
22 Oct 2012 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Oh DJ stop being so Naish!

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
22 Oct 2012 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

Have had the chance to paddle the All Star and Sprint and let me tell you for the little volume they carry and the narrowness of them they are incredibly stable. Interesting to note the 14 x 25 actually has 3 litres more than the 14 x 26 All Star.

If it is a one board quiver you are after the All Star ticks all the boxes. Very quick on the flats and a nice stable tail to step back on and surf.

ockanui
VIC, 1301 posts
22 Oct 2012 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

Some nice boards there, with all these new models just coming out from not only the big three but also DC, WOW etc etc the sup buying public are spoilt for choice.... with so many available...makes it all the more confusing when making that choice.... It will be good to see the 2013 Sup Vic review of all these tasty treats....

Teeps
VIC, 228 posts
23 Oct 2012 12:32AM
Thumbs Up

surf4fun said...
Have had the chance to paddle the All Star and Sprint and let me tell you for the little volume they carry and the narrowness of them they are incredibly stable. Interesting to note the 14 x 25 actually has 3 litres more than the 14 x 26 All Star.

If it is a one board quiver you are after the All Star ticks all the boxes. Very quick on the flats and a nice stable tail to step back on and surf.

Yeah it's the one I'm looking at... I'm a heavier paddler though so will probably need the 14x26

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
23 Oct 2012 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Teeps, any chance you could post the Pro Surf pics too?

Coque
51 posts
23 Oct 2012 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

I own a 12'6 x 27.5'' Allstar and i've been testing a bit the Sprint and Ace models too.

I must say i've never been a fan of STB Race line in the past but i think they made a big step up on the 2013 range.

The Sprint is a great flat water board. It's very, very stable (so you can go narrower) and it's very fast. As someone said before: you don't want a lot of water coming from the back (not a DWer for sure) and you need to get used to having your back foot under water on buoy turns. But if you want a fast flat water board that allows you to go narrower but still having lots of stability, the Sprint is a great board.

The ACE is what you already know: an effective board. Fast, very stable, works great in choppy (and DW) conditions and they refined the 2013 version to fit custumer's suggestions: flat between your feet and a lot easier to step back and turn on a buoy.

The Allstar name really describes this board. It isn't the fastest of fastest on flat water (still a competitive flat water board). It goes great upwind and with sidewinds because the board is really low, surfs great (for a race board), even better than my old Hobie and it's a terrible downwinder for sure. Again, the guys at Starboard made a great job adding a lot of stability with the recessed deck, and you can still move your feet easily on this recessed deck. The step back to the higher tail is really mild and feels very natural. A feature i love from this race board is that it has a fast nose shape that isn't the classic bow/displacement hull shape other boards have, so when you're surfing a wave or DWing, you can move the nose freely and turn de board or using all it's waterline and allways being in full control. DWing with this board is a pleasure and you catch every little runner and the rocker seems to allways fit perfectly!

Paddling the Allstar i can feel they really made a great R&D job: if your feet are on the "flat water paddling placement" the board tracks really well, but as soon as you move one of your feet an inch or two the board feels alive and you can turn it easily to follow the runers on a DW. I think the square rails on the center and the rocker line play a big roll on that.

The only negative thing i can say about the 2013 Starboard Race range is that the ACE doesn't feel like a fast board when paddling on it, but the GPS sais it's "fast, fast, fast!".

BTW, i feel now like i could go 26'' on the Allstar even being at 90 kg and coming from a very stable 28 7/8 Hobie...

I'll try to post pics of the Allstar if you want me to.

Coque.

Teeps
VIC, 228 posts
25 Oct 2012 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

Zeusman said...
Hey Teeps, any chance you could post the Pro Surf pics too?

Yeah I'll scan them and get them up in the next day or so.

pmorgan1974
NSW, 1080 posts
26 Oct 2012 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

It's a good looking range...seen some stuff from the NZ SB guys and the boards look fun

Kombi
10 posts
26 Oct 2012 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone know what sort of price range the All Stars will be?

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
26 Oct 2012 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

I used the All Star 14' x 26' in the recent SUP5000 and I agree with Coque. The 26' is a surprisingly stable board, it is very similar in stability to my Coast Runner (28.5') which is a great board.

There obviously has been alot of testing as the board is very different to the coast runner in design. Alot less volume overall (285L vs 235L) and different nose shape, that promotes more water length. You can't get this board up on the plane as quickly as the Coast Runner, but it cuts through the water over distance. We all didn't necessarily think it was significantly faster than the coast runner, but the feeling was it will perform very well in the ocean.

I tried the 25' as well, I was surprised by the stability again and could notice a speed difference. For my weight/height I thought the 26' was spot on.

PS - I am very fond of the ACE 25' (One day I'll have one), such a great flat water/ chop board. I am not surprised they didn't change much in its shape except the cockpit.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"NEW 2013 Starboard Catalogue - New Pics" started by Teeps