Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Naish Hokua 8'10" and 9'3"

Created by colas > 9 months ago, 6 Apr 2010
colas
5064 posts
6 Apr 2010 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

For those who know both... are there just the same shape at a different scale, or do they have different characteristics? (I am looking for a fast board for small - 2 to 6ft -, glassy hollow waves).

If I can demo one, can I extrapolate my feelings to the other? (the 8'0" will be too small for my 200lbs, and I understand the 9'6" is not the same shape)

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
6 Apr 2010 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

Matty rides the 9.3 and he rips on it and he would be circa 200lb or 91kg.

It took Matty a while to get it dialed in and he surfs pretty much every day and up to 3 times a day.

Pics from tonight

From what Rich was saying the 8'10 is faster and more responsive as well as being more stable?

Jacko what do you think?

Phill

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
6 Apr 2010 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

I think he needs a hair cut

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
6 Apr 2010 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Mac,

We love Matty just the way he is, very cool guy!

Those pics dont do him justice he shreads.

Phill

SECARTERMUSS
QLD, 181 posts
6 Apr 2010 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

colas said...

For those who know both... are there just the same shape at a different scale, or do they have different characteristics? (I am looking for a fast board for small - 2 to 6ft -, glassy hollow waves).

If I can demo one, can I extrapolate my feelings to the other? (the 8'0" will be too small for my 200lbs, and I understand the 9'6" is not the same shape)

G' Day Colas
Mate i have used Both boards you are talking about, I had the 9'3 for about 6 months it has a little more rocker especially in the nose than the 8'10. It would be OK for your weight with a few hours flat water time. The 8'10 still has a nice rocker line, its more like my Naish 8'0 shape, and the new 8'4 from what i have seen. The nose has been pulled in a fair bit.
Stability and flotation for your weight there will not be to much in it between the 2 boards it will depend on your water time.
the 9'3 surfs great but the 8'10 shape is made for that short board feel a lot of us like. hope this helps

Cheers
Marty

colas
5064 posts
7 Apr 2010 4:24AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for your feedback! It seems thus that the 8'0 8'4 8'10 are new shapes that have a refined (faster) rocker compared to the 9'3. Makes sense. I will try to demo the 8'10" then.

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
7 Apr 2010 6:43AM
Thumbs Up

Colas,

I have spent considerable time on all board accept the 8'0" (2 waves), and have found the following +/- for each.

9'3" - has an awesome rail shape, and hold really well in some size, the board has a nice progressive feel and you move back on it, and drives some great lines. I did find that when you break it loose, it doesn't recover as fast as the 8'10 and under, but I think that's a size thing. The board is stable and easy for paddle even in mild wind and chop (BTW I am approx 95kg). Because of the rocker in the board it handles just about any shape wave (very hollow) with ease.

8'10" - The new hokua's have a different rail and rock to the 9'3", and I have found that the 8'10" doesn't settle as nicely when there's some size in comparison to the 9'3". However, this board is fast, and loves being ridden off the tail. At only 28' speed recovery will get you more and tighter hits every time. Slightly straighter in the rocker I've found this board doesn't really like being surfed in a forward position, everything on the tail pad. It is less stable than the 9'3", but if your a shortboarder, you will forget this after your first wave. You will have to work a little harder being in the right place on the 810, but when you get it right, hold on ladies!

8'4" - Just when I thought it could get any better than the 810..... This board is fast, really fast. Only to be ridden off the tail! It's so loose, but recovers out of every turn as fast as it went into it. Although the rail shape is similar to the 810, I have found the 8'4" has a much more secure feel under some size, This board has such a harmonic feel on any shaped wave. The weigh off is it hard work when your not on a wave. At only 27.5" wide and 8'4" approx 100ltrs, you will be wiggling and giggling a bit. But once again, you'll forget about this once you get a good wave on it.

I suggest demo everything? We'd all like to ride the smallest, loosest, fastest board in the available, but realistically, it's gotta suit your conditions, ability and style.

Good luck with it,

JB

NC Surfer
142 posts
7 Apr 2010 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

colas said...

Thanks for your feedback! It seems thus that the 8'0 8'4 8'10 are new shapes that have a refined (faster) rocker compared to the 9'3. Makes sense. I will try to demo the 8'10" then.

If you measure the rockers, they are not all that different.

The most glaring difference is the 9'3 is a vee bottom all the way forward, while the 8'10 is single concave through the middle without any vee in the middle.

colas
5064 posts
7 Apr 2010 3:29PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks JB for your in-depth report. Actually I tend to be faithful to my local shaper, but in surfing I found out it was a good thing to take opportunity of the good resell value of "big name" boards (McTavish, Stewart, ...), to buy them to try them a month and resell them, to open your mind to other types of shapes. So the new Hokuas may prove geared towards waves more poweful than I can find around here, but they should resell well anyways. They definitively looks worth trying.

To NC Surfer: Actually, concave or Vee modifies the center rocker of the board. I guess it induces quite a different feeling.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Naish Hokua 8'10" and 9'3"" started by colas