Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

New grip for my Naish 8'10"

Created by termite > 9 months ago, 10 May 2010
termite
NSW, 283 posts
10 May 2010 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Had a go at re gripping my Naish as the original one was worn and I found it a bit slippy.

Used a paint scraper and sharpened a nice square edge on it, grip came off pretty easily in whole sheets.

I had to sand off the rough surface of leftover glue (hard but brittle like superglue) with an orbital using 60 then 240 then 400grit paper.

The new grip (PSH type) went on a treat and now I have no probs working out which 8'10" is mine

WorlSUP
NSW, 83 posts
10 May 2010 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

Nice work Bill, I'll have to get up your way again so I can have a go on it?

Newmo
VIC, 471 posts
10 May 2010 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

nice grip job.
Looks very custom.

termite
NSW, 283 posts
10 May 2010 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

If you can't have a neat custom wooden board get a custom woodgrain grip

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
10 May 2010 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

How hard is it to get that old grip off great looking grip , really suits the board. What happened to your beautiful timber board ?

Rob

termite
NSW, 283 posts
10 May 2010 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Rob

Grip was pretty easy to get off as long as you prised up the sticky bits so that the sheet did not tear and held together. The glue was another story and could have been a mission without a good sander.

I still have the ply raceboard and have fitted it out with a fishing rod and gear holder set up, now just have to work out where the game chair goes

Bill

Newmo
VIC, 471 posts
10 May 2010 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

I'm still working up to doing the 14er myself. Are you still happy with yours.

termite
NSW, 283 posts
10 May 2010 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

Yep I'm enjoying the 14 footer for flat water. Took it out in small bay surf and also had a ball, the only drama was the back 6 inches of board had no grip and it was the only bit I was standing on as I tried to turn the missile

Bit of wax and I'll be tearing it up

Bill

Newmo
VIC, 471 posts
10 May 2010 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Great news
I recon i can get one done for about 14kgs if I am carefull. Might even be ok for a bit of downwind action.
Cheers Scott

sepirott
NSW, 336 posts
10 May 2010 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Just fit the .50cal gun mount on the front of that 14 footer Billy and it will be action stations on the next foray in the bay.

termite
NSW, 283 posts
10 May 2010 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

Paddle ski seeking missle works for me[}:)]

Cam Gillies
SA, 216 posts
10 May 2010 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

termite said...

Had a go at re gripping my Naish as the original one was worn and I found it a bit slippy.

Used a paint scraper and sharpened a nice square edge on it, grip came off pretty easily in whole sheets.

I had to sand off the rough surface of leftover glue (hard but brittle like superglue) with an orbital using 60 then 240 then 400grit paper.

The new grip (PSH type) went on a treat and now I have no probs working out which 8'10" is mine

The bad news is that grip also gets pretty slippery

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
10 May 2010 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

Cam Gillies said...

termite said...

The bad news is that grip also gets pretty slippery

...... For me the best grip on the market for most traction and longest lasting is the OAM "On a Mission"

Rob

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
11 May 2010 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Grips are a personal thing. To 'grippy' or 'harsh' and they can give you foot cramps. To thin and they dont offer enough grip and damage the board. To soft and they can tear easily.
The other key component is the glue backing - 3M backing seems to be what work best.

When you say longest lasting Piro's what do you mean? Have you had grips wear out?
To honest we have never heard of a PSH grip being slippery?

Shoki
WA, 22 posts
11 May 2010 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

Use white spirits from Bunnings to get the glue off next time - I put kitchen role on the board and pour the spirity over that - leave it 10 mins and it comes off like thick glue using an old kitchen plastic spatula - real easy and no sanding !! may need to do this about twice. To finish just rub with a wet towel with white spirits then wash with soapy water

To get the old deck grip off I leave the board in the sun for half an hour to warm it up ----- then peels off easy......

I've done about four deck drips with this technique and no damage to the board

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"New grip for my Naish 8'10"" started by termite