Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

SUP @ Australian Longboard Open 20/24 MArch

Created by LynT > 9 months ago, 21 Mar 2013
LynT
NSW, 133 posts
21 Mar 2013 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

DAY 2 Pro Division Finally Sorted with Justin Holland, Beau Nixon, Toby Cracknell and Jackson Close going Through to Sundays Final ... More results and Photos as the days progress.

LynT
NSW, 133 posts
21 Mar 2013 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

AND HE MADE IT

LynT
NSW, 133 posts
21 Mar 2013 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

AND HE MADE IT AS WELL

sharpie
NSW, 347 posts
21 Mar 2013 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

dog man and beau deep in concentration on the mics. wish i was there instead of at work with a dry ear.

LynT
NSW, 133 posts
21 Mar 2013 4:47PM
Thumbs Up

Shakira Westdorp, Sarah Mason, Jenny Ryan and Karen Jackson through to the Final on Sunday .

And an interesting note from Booth .... Both Ginger Ninja and Dogman agree with the Judges, who gave Shakira and Sarah .... NINES in their respective heats

... looking like a great Womens Final on Sunday.

LynT
NSW, 133 posts
21 Mar 2013 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

ANNND Through to the Amateur Final on Sunday

Mr Ray Gleave, Andy Davies, Anthony Smith, and Michael Stokes.

Many thanks to all competitors .. was a great few days in the water Special thanks to the ones who travelled from as far away as New Zealand and Wales, The Central Coast and Sydney .. However we must do something about Eastern Daylight Savings Time Co-Ordination for a few Queensland Paddlers ...

Special mention to Chris Newling who went down in the Semis with a very undesirable Fin Chop to the lower body. And many thanks to The Dog and Ginger who were most reserved in their account of the incident.

Great to have a SUP Specific commentary ... only one or two disparaging anti Gillard and Longboard Comments; a dressing down of a Backpacker who was swept into the Contest site and a very funny incident involving a large dog and a jogger made it a day of balanced commentary.

SUNDAY Hope to See a as many Paddlers either as spectators or Paddlers.

Kingscliff Surf Club 7am Registration
9am River Race Start at the Boat Ramp
10:30am BOP in front of the Clubhouse
2:00pm SUP Womens Final
2:30pm Pro Final
3:00pm Amateur Final
Presentation Directly After the Am Final you must be at the Presentation to be in the draw for the 2 Illusions SUPs.

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
21 Mar 2013 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

LynT said...
Shakira Westdorp, Sarah Mason, Jenny Ryan and Karen Jackson through to the Final on Sunday .

And an interesting note from Booth .... Both Ginger Ninja and Dogman agree with the Judges, who gave Shakira and Sarah .... NINES in their respective heats

Awesome shot.

RJK
QLD, 622 posts
21 Mar 2013 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Whoever seeded the pro surfing heats needs to rethink their method. Can't see the sense in that at all! All the national finalists in one heat??????

Please explain?

boardbumps
NSW, 698 posts
21 Mar 2013 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

I'm stoked,

Karyn Jackson, Anthony Smith and Ray Gleave.

All in the finals and riding SurfShapes.

Go Gang!!

Rod

Funnsurfn
NSW, 310 posts
22 Mar 2013 6:58AM
Thumbs Up

RJK said...
Whoever seeded the pro surfing heats needs to rethink their method. Can't see the sense in that at all! All the national finalists in one heat??????

Please explain?

Try surfing against them all in your first pro comp. Lamb to the slaughter! Great fun. Apart from the nose in the groin

Funnsurfn
NSW, 310 posts
22 Mar 2013 7:15AM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...
LynT said...

Awesome shot.

LynT
NSW, 133 posts
22 Mar 2013 7:17AM
Thumbs Up

LynT
NSW, 133 posts
23 Mar 2013 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

appsy
NSW, 198 posts
23 Mar 2013 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

How many rounds from round 1 to the final for the sup pro division

LynT
NSW, 133 posts
23 Mar 2013 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

Straight Through ..... So many Champs in one event !!

appsy
NSW, 198 posts
23 Mar 2013 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

Geez........... $150 entry fee....one heat then final. pretty expensive, no seeds and one heat was a walk through.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
23 Mar 2013 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LynT said...
ANNND Through to the Amateur Final on Sunday

Mr Ray Gleave, Andy Davies

hmmm, amateurs hey. i wonder where that puts the rest of us

LynT
NSW, 133 posts
23 Mar 2013 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

Yep !!!! not enough Pro Riders interested in sharing the Prize Money !! Its a pity for everyone concerned ...

But all in all; the Women could fill a few heats and in the amateurs ... even the 50 year old ones had a go .. With Women Cracking genuine 9s and Old Blokes getting into finals maybe its time for a change of format in the SUPs . Perhaps it would be easier if we had a "Stand Alone Pro Division" with pro Judging and replace the Amateur Division with 10 footers with longboard judging as a new class !

Just because a few Australian Finalists turn up and compete for their Sponsors its curious that we cant get more Pro Paddlers on the water .... I wish someone would start a blog ( a new one) on why numbers are down on Surf Events ..

Maybe its price, maybe its Logistics ! But If paddlers want to compete in contests with accredited Judges and trophies and insurance and location approval and Goodie bags and all the rubbish which goes along with creating A contest. why are the numbers down?
At this stage organizers and Some very significant sponsors are asking why the low numbers and whats a solution to the effort and money they put into events .... Perhaps one solution would be for interested Paddlers to Turn UP !! or lose these Contests .... and Sponsors.
Yep If your an interested competitor Turn Up .... like the Women and old people do !

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
23 Mar 2013 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

10' class and some dogman lessons on how to helicopter till your blue in the face i would give it go

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
23 Mar 2013 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

LynT said...
Yep !!!! not enough Pro Riders interested in sharing the Prize Money !! Its a pity for everyone concerned ...

But all in all; the Women could fill a few heats and in the amateurs ... even the 50 year old ones had a go .. With Women Cracking genuine 9s and Old Blokes getting into finals maybe its time for a change of format in the SUPs . Perhaps it would be easier if we had a "Stand Alone Pro Division" with pro Judging and replace the Amateur Division with 10 footers with longboard judging as a new class !

Just because a few Australian Finalists turn up and compete for their Sponsors its curious that we cant get more Pro Paddlers on the water .... I wish someone would start a blog ( a new one) on why numbers are down on Surf Events ..

Maybe its price, maybe its Logistics ! But If paddlers want to compete in contests with accredited Judges and trophies and insurance and location approval and Goodie bags and all the rubbish which goes along with creating A contest. why are the numbers down?
At this stage organizers and Some very significant sponsors are asking why the low numbers and whats a solution to the effort and money they put into events .... Perhaps one solution would be for interested Paddlers to Turn UP !! or lose these Contests .... and Sponsors.
Yep If your an interested competitor Turn Up .... like the Women and old people do !

The reason I stopped traveling long distances to events like these is as Appsy said $150 is a lot of money for possibly one heat. Same with the Noosa comp - no reps or multiple divisions. Personally I have no interest in a 10 foot division but I'm sure plenty are.

For $150 I can go in 2 surf events and a BOP at the Surfing NSW titles and they have reps if you stuff your first heat. Also amazing computerised judging.

No offence to the organisers of these comps intended - just some feedback. I think the problem lies with being tacked on to a Mal comp. The Snowy was the same - one heat for most, hence the lack of interest.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"SUP @ Australian Longboard Open 20/24 MArch" started by LynT