Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Silly SUP Hats for the 2012/13 Season ;-)

Created by Rossall > 9 months ago, 11 Sep 2012
Rossall
WA, 695 posts
11 Sep 2012 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

Ok after a bit of sunburn from the weekend session at Secret Harbour its probably time to pick out a SUP hat for the coming summer months.

So whats looking good in the line up for the 2012/13 season ????

Any recommendations Dakine, West, Ripcurl etc

Phil

kevpun
47 posts
11 Sep 2012 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

This Dakine give a lot of protection !

hilly
WA, 7279 posts
11 Sep 2012 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Dakine and you can look as dorky as this

stimo
WA, 874 posts
11 Sep 2012 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

hilly said...

Dakine and you can look as dorky as this

ooooo for sum waves
going to the rock friday with dc hoping for some lefts

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
11 Sep 2012 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

Looking good down here. Anyone?

Cuttlefish
QLD, 1332 posts
12 Sep 2012 6:29AM
Thumbs Up

The best hats are made by Protecsun out of MC surf designs at Byron.
Sorry, don't know how to do links on the Android device I'm using.
They are so much better than all the big name brands it's not funny.

Skeghead
TAS, 75 posts
12 Sep 2012 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

I use a Gath helmet , lasts for many years ( mine is at least 15 years old ) and stops dings on your head from the board . (been hit hard a couple if times in the last few months ) .

DaveyG
QLD, 96 posts
12 Sep 2012 9:43AM
Thumbs Up

I picked up one of these last week, (xCel Water cap) http://www.mainpeak.com.au/paddle/xcel-essential-water-hat.html

I haven't worn it in the water as yet but seems to tick all the boxes. It also has a solid 'peak' at the front to stop the cap from drooping down in front of your eyes when wet. I think all the water hats look a bit goofy but for those of us with less hair than we'd like I think they're a good idea especially on long surf/paddle sessions

ScarbsSUP
WA, 354 posts
Site Sponsor
12 Sep 2012 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Phil,

We use and sell the DaKine Indo Hat. It's a great hat. I used it all winter up north and it worked well on a SUP and a surfboard. I removed the legionaires neck flap at the back but the brim still offers pretty good protection from the strong midday sun.

A hat of whatever brand doesn't look anywhere near as bad as having part of your face removed from skin cancers.

DM

hilly
WA, 7279 posts
12 Sep 2012 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

Greenroom said...

Looking good down here. Anyone?

Does look good, I am off north will start coming down next term

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
12 Sep 2012 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

I keep on telling this guy his hat is totally inappropriate but he keeps on coming back year after year

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
12 Sep 2012 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

two sun cancer ops later and a hat is an absolute must. Happy to look stupid, rather than to be undergoing another operation, just saying

JOYRIDER
705 posts
12 Sep 2012 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

seeing as theres plenty of cowboys in the lineup, its perfect.

- suits most.
- comes in one size (massive for all the BIG HEADS)
- more then likely it will get away from the owner and run you down in the whitewater.

Rossall
WA, 695 posts
12 Sep 2012 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

gregc said...

two sun cancer ops later and a hat is an absolute must. Happy to look stupid, rather than to be undergoing another operation, just saying

well said Greg, certainly a MUST thats for sure especially when my hair line is looking more like Bruce Willis than Brad Pitt

phil

kevpun
47 posts
12 Sep 2012 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

Rossall said...

gregc said...

well said Greg, certainly a MUST thats for sure especially when my hair line is looking more like Bruce Willis than Brad Pitt

phil

On the Bruce Willis to Brad Pitt continuum, I'm around about Kojak

A light wetsuit hood could be an interesting option if the day's not too warm!

DaveyG
QLD, 96 posts
13 Sep 2012 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Heres a pic of the hat I bought recently. Wore it out yesterday, all good.

Rossall
WA, 695 posts
13 Sep 2012 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

ahhhh Excell, looks good, where from ?

Phil

DaveyG
QLD, 96 posts
14 Sep 2012 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

Rossall said...

ahhhh Excell, looks good, where from ?

Phil

Bought at my local SUP/surf store on Sunshine Coast but I'm sure they are also available online and at various surf shops. About $45

russh
SA, 3025 posts
14 Sep 2012 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

These are around 39.95 - I have a camo one and they're pretty good - mine doesnt have the ear coverage though of the excel one in the other post though

jaydub1973
QLD, 156 posts
14 Sep 2012 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

I have the FCS one and found it a bit restrictive of my vision but not too extreme but if I was to jump on my short board I would have to keep my chin down when duck diving or it would be pulled off my head. Might try another brand this summer.

russh
SA, 3025 posts
14 Sep 2012 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

jaydub1973 said...

I have the FCS one and found it a bit restrictive of my vision but not too extreme but if I was to jump on my short board I would have to keep my chin down when duck diving or it would be pulled off my head. Might try another brand this summer.

At least then you can blame running over someone on your SUP on the hat.

I windsurf and SUPd with the bucket last half of summer - -It has come off in impact zone once or twice - lost my peak FCS last year and didnt even realise it was gone for around 10 minutes - I really found the peaks very bad at blowing backwards on your head when windsurfing and when diving the SUP under waves

Cant use any hats when short boarding - same reason - gath helmets can be trouble too - had mate a get his head ripped backwards with a Gath and he blacked out on a largish day at Parsons beach several years ago - scared the bejesus out of him and his neck was out for weeks - like a big bucket dragged backwards against his neck.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Silly SUP Hats for the 2012/13 Season ;-)" started by Rossall