Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Stand Up Surf Shop SUP5000 presented by DC Boards

Created by Goochi > 9 months ago, 27 Sep 2012
mocka
WA, 40 posts
19 Oct 2012 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

Luke my son will be there and my daughter will be there hopefully in time also, a bit after 11am?
The kids race might be more my speed?

paddlejac
WA, 36 posts
19 Oct 2012 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

stimo said...
Goochi said...
Hi Stimo
We made the female class an open board class - meaning 12'6 and 14' together. The last SUP5000 were all on 12'6, we hadn't seen many women on 14' boards so we weren't sure who would enter. It was easier to group the division and ensure we had enough numbers in total.

The female division is a fast growing area. As the board class numbers fill out, we will break down the board division into separate 12'6 and 14' classes in future events.

It was only a year ago that the guys all raced in the Classic Paddle on 14' and 12'6 as an Open Board Division!

The stand up surf shop may just have find some more prizes not really fair for the girls on 12/6 racing against girls 14f as the 14 length being a quicker board in general

I know it's likely too late for this weekend but we're trying to promote a sport here and ultimately this is a fantastic race to encourage those who don't have as much experience to come out and give it a go. Currently we have one category for women and 5 for the men. I think at minimum going forward we should look at two categories for women - rather than assuming that the numbers won't be there let's aim high - make two categories then put it back onto the SUP community to fill them with paddlers - take the optimistic route and let's grow the community.

In the outrigger community all the categories exist from the outset. If on race day there aren't 3 in a category it becomes unofficial and therefore no prizes for it and/or if age group combined with the next one down. I know this becomes a bit different when looking at board length and not just age groups but still I'd we aim high and amend as necessary - summer is on our doorstep and so many more people are ready to be on the water (unlike the last race mid winter).

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
19 Oct 2012 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

paddlejac said...
stimo said...
Goochi said...
Hi Stimo
We made the female class an open board class - meaning 12'6 and 14' together. The last SUP5000 were all on 12'6, we hadn't seen many women on 14' boards so we weren't sure who would enter. It was easier to group the division and ensure we had enough numbers in total.

The female division is a fast growing area. As the board class numbers fill out, we will break down the board division into separate 12'6 and 14' classes in future events.

It was only a year ago that the guys all raced in the Classic Paddle on 14' and 12'6 as an Open Board Division!

The stand up surf shop may just have find some more prizes not really fair for the girls on 12/6 racing against girls 14f as the 14 length being a quicker board in general

I know it's likely too late for this weekend but we're trying to promote a sport here and ultimately this is a fantastic race to encourage those who don't have as much experience to come out and give it a go. Currently we have one category for women and 5 for the men. I think at minimum going forward we should look at two categories for women - rather than assuming that the numbers won't be there let's aim high - make two categories then put it back onto the SUP community to fill them with paddlers - take the optimistic route and let's grow the community.

In the outrigger community all the categories exist from the outset. If on race day there aren't 3 in a category it becomes unofficial and therefore no prizes for it and/or if age group combined with the next one down. I know this becomes a bit different when looking at board length and not just age groups but still I'd we aim high and amend as necessary - summer is on our doorstep and so many more people are ready to be on the water (unlike the last race mid winter).

Hi Jac
Organising an event is a pretty time consuming process and keeping everyone happy is just as difficult. We are learning as we go along and developing divisions. For the SUP5000 we have 5 Male divisions - OPen 12'6, Open 14', O/40 14', unlimited and O/50 14'. We have 1 mixed division- Surf. One female OPen division.

There is a great choice of divisions for people to chose from and have fun. We have to go a sponsor and get prizes for these divisions and as generous as they are - they can't cater for infinite divisions and we set a budget. To fairly breakdown what divisions are catered to we use the following:
1. 4 or more paddlers justify a division and first place awarded
2. 6 or more paddlers get 1st,2nd and 3rd awarded
3. 10 or more get 1st to 4th.

On top of that we put alot of the prize pool toward door prizes so everyone has a chance. (the total prize pool for this event is $1800 - $1300 being the door prize)

The female division was set as open - meaning ageless and no board restriction to encourage everyone to come down no matter what board they had, but we know from previous races the majority of women in Perth are paddling 12'6s at present. Stimo has lent out a few of his 14' boards and these totalled 3 in this division (so not 4), so we kept the division as open rather than split it.

We learnt from the Avon event where the women were split into 12'6 and 14' and only 2 women entered the 14'. This was a bit embarassing as the sponsor had put a prize toward this event. We were able to shift that prize to a new unlimited male division and make the women a 12'6 category. The feedback from that process (from the women) was "Why didn't you just make make it an open division in the first place!". So you can appreciate we are trying to keep everything fair, transparent and take on feedback.

We have a great turn out for women in the surf division and a developing turn out in the open women category. There is no doubt as numbers increase we will have a 12'6, 14' and an age category for women. Like I said, we are very new and learning as we go.

Cheers

NOTE - at the start of the week the open men's 12'6 class was only 3, we were looking at having to incorporate this class into 14' class (as per the breakdown) We had 2 more entries to validate this class.

stimo
WA, 874 posts
20 Oct 2012 7:28AM
Thumbs Up

Looking good seyall down there

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
20 Oct 2012 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

Just wanted to say thanks (especially) to Galvo & Dale Chapman, but also to all the SUPWA supporters & sponsors for their support for today's event. Sensational work from them....

GREAT morning out for heaps of SUPWA crew - thanks to Greg, Luke, Chris, Roger, Cam & all the SUPWA committee for their work in getting another great event under their belt.

Two seriously happy members.

Juddy & Nat.

roggoodwin
WA, 232 posts
20 Oct 2012 4:17PM
Thumbs Up

Standup Surf shop Sup5000 presented by DC Boards.

Thanks to Mike Galvin at the Standup Surf Shop in North Fremantle and Dale Chapman from DC who kindly donated our major prize of a $1300 voucher towards a new DC board, which was won by Peter Pridmore, I believe that a new flat water race board could be on the cards which is a bit scary as Pete is fast enough as it is. Huey did his best and we had perfect conditions for our race yet again, we also had our biggest fleet to date with 54 competitors filling 7 devisions including a great turn out by the women. A big thanks to the competitors who made this event a great success. There was some tight finished especialy as we got down to the shorter 1000m and 500m course. In the end the results where as follows.

Open Mens 14'
1st Marcus Tardrew (little homeless bloke)
2nd Peter Pridmore
3rd Ben Tardrew (little homeless blokes brother)

Over 40 Mens 14'
1st Wes Stansfield
2nd Joe I wanna beer Fry
3rd Scott Penwarn

Over 50 Mens 14'
1st Kevin (energiser bunny) Kemp Smith
2nd Lach Simpson
3rd Ian Grosse

Open Women
1st Michelle England
2nd Jac McAra
3rd Jade Paton

Open Mens 12'6"
1st Peter Tomset

Unlimited Board
1st Gordon (i love DC) Stimson

Mixed Surf
1st Helgi Helgaon
2nd Garry Griffiths
3rd Justin Omalley

On behalf of SUPWA thanks to our sponsors Standup Surf Shop and Dale Chapman from DC Boards, also thanks to Greg Kerr our illustrious President or the big boss as we like to refer to him, Greg puts in a massive amount of work behind the scene. A big thanks to Luke Jenkins for providing the start boat and doing all the starts, also Gordon McKercher for providing the finish boat and Soph (my lovely Wife) and Basha (my other wife) for assisting Gordon on the finish boat and recording all the times. Thanks to the rest of the Committe Lach Simmo, Cam who also brought all the demo boards down for Glavo who has been stuck in Gnaraloo for 3 weeks (poor bugga) and everyone that helped pack up. A great team effort. Please watch the forum for our next event which is coming up soon, now the seabreezes are here some down wind action will be on.

marcus
WA, 219 posts
20 Oct 2012 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

thanks heaps to supwa and sponsors for the event today.
There obviously is alot of hard work being put in by the Supwa and volunteer crew. the events are always so successful and run perfectly. this is atttracting so many people to the sport and with almost triple the competitors from the first sup5000 to today, its bloody amazing! us west coast paddlers owe alot to everyone involved in these events. thanks heaps.

roggoodwin
WA, 232 posts
20 Oct 2012 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

roggoodwin
WA, 232 posts
20 Oct 2012 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

roggoodwin
WA, 232 posts
20 Oct 2012 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

roggoodwin
WA, 232 posts
20 Oct 2012 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

roggoodwin
WA, 232 posts
20 Oct 2012 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

tightlines
WA, 3472 posts
20 Oct 2012 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Yep as the other guys have said, big thanks to all involved.

I had my first go in a SUP race a couple of months back in the Avon challenge and it whet my appetite, after today I'm hooked, great day, fantastic format and very well run.

Also a special thanks to Dale Chapman for leaving that flat water 14 in Perth, it has found a new home, I just picked it up yesterday so today was a great first outing, stoked with it but I need to tweak the motor to find a few more horsepower.

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
21 Oct 2012 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

Not only a great turn out from the adults but 18 kids entering the junior race with nothing but smiles all round and everyone walking away with a prize. Safe to say the future of SUP in WA is in safe hands. Thanks to all the parents who helped out and provided support.

Basha69
WA, 161 posts
21 Oct 2012 9:43AM
Thumbs Up

Open Mens 1.Marcus (RIGHT) 2.Peter 3.Ben (CENTRE)

Open Womens 1.Michelle (Left) 2.Jac (Centre) 3.Jade

Over 40's Winner: Wez

Over 50's 1.Kevin (Left) 2.Lach (Centre) 3.Ian (Right)

Unlimited Winner: Gordon (Stimo)

12.6 Division Winner: Peter

Open surf division: 1. Helgi 2. Justin

Well done all, what a great day!!!!

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
21 Oct 2012 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Well done to all the winners and special thanks to Mike at Stand Up Surf Shop and Dale Chapman for his generous prize. A big thank you to Rog, Luke, Chris and Cam for their brilliant organisation on the day and all the volunteers.

Fabulous racing conditions and an amazing turn out. Learning, listening and ironing out bugs, so the events will only get better.

Next big SUPWA event is the Starboard Black Blade - SUP State Titles. This will be the first time a State Championship for SUP has ever been held in WA. 10th of November - save the date - open to all levels.

Cheers
Greg

PCK
WA, 10 posts
22 Oct 2012 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Here are a few photos of the Kids Fun Race

Fergus
WA, 136 posts
23 Oct 2012 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

More photos of the groms.