Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Starboard 12'6"

Created by Cruiser1755 > 9 months ago, 22 Mar 2008
Cruiser1755
QLD, 235 posts
22 Mar 2008 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

My third go on a sup. First 2 were only 10 min so today had about an hour of a mates board. First thoughts are how much fun it is. Wouldn't have thought so until you actually have a proper go. A big board compared to my sailboards but perfectly suited to the canals and protected bay where I live. Has more rocker than I expected so turning was ok especially if you take a step back.

My main question is where to stand? There is a grey area that seems to mark the feet position bit the fin comes out a bit. Although during the paddle stroke the nose comes up a little and the tail sits well on the water.

I notice from pics that the technique seems to be to stand square on (flat water)...is that what everyone does?

Also like the 2 screw holes for attaching a rig.
Just not sure about the size?

oliver
3952 posts
22 Mar 2008 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Cruiser, welcome.

I think if you feel confident with the board, and you will be able to get good use out of it, where you plan to use it most of the time... go for it and buy what you think will work. I'm really glad I did.

I've been experimenting with standing in different positions myself and have no real answer to your question, except on flat water my legs are spread apart and are perpendicular to the board and I'm standing somewhere close to the center of the board - seems to work. In surf or chop change your position and experiment with feet positions depending where the chop is coming from. At the moment I'm kind of enjoying the whole "best position for your feet" idea. At the end of the day as long as you are standing on your board most of the time - it's all good.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
22 Mar 2008 11:29PM
Thumbs Up

You will find that some boards have a bigger sweet spot and you can move around a bit while paddling..but some have a very small sweet spot and you only have to be an inch out of place and it all feels wrong.

I also like to have my feet as close together as I can..I think if you have them too wide..and close to the rail of the board you only make the board want to tip over more if you get wobbly.

But then if the going gets rough I have to take on the wider stance or else I'm in the water..

As far as forward and back position...I find that there is a perfect spot..where the nose isn't to high and the tail isn't too low..and visa-versa.

You can usually see this correct position when watching some one else..so don't be afraid to ask some one.."Hey is the tail of my board too much out of the water..or is water flowing over the tail area as I paddle"..It's not easy looking back yourself.

Notice this pic of Champcrow's brother having his first go at SUP...
It's obvious from this view that he is a bit too far forward on the board..click here

Also...I have found that a slightly staggered stance works best..It gives a better forward/back stability..and lets you get to the surfing stance quicker because you're almost already there...Once you get used to this position it's hard to go back to a parallel stance.

You will find that something on the board helps you remember that correct possition..some even put a sticker on the rail..I can look down and see where my foot is in regard to the hand hole on the deck.

One more thing (sorry for my long winded answer)..I find that if I'm heading into a wind I move ever so slightly forward..and If I'm going down wind I move back a little.

After many hours of practice you will find your own sweet spot on your own board..Here's a pic of mine on my 10'6" Naish.

DJ

Cruiser1755
QLD, 235 posts
23 Mar 2008 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

thanks for the replies...I think a slightly staggered stance suits me as well. We were following each other in a kayak and it does help to have an observer while you are trying to find your feet.

just got back from another go this time with a 6.2 wave sail in very light wind on the bay. Took me back to the wally windsurfer days but I think these have to be lighter than the old plastic stuff. Lots of fun trying to remember the old tricks. It cruises well but had the feeling does not stay upwind too well.

Of course once we derigged the sail a squall came in but it was obvious the extra rocker on such a big board allowed it to cope fairly well with the chop while being paddled.

I would be keen to have a go on a slightly shorter board ... anyone around Scarborough north of Brisbane got a board? Only other boards I have seen are up the north coast.

kitesurfbali
WA, 531 posts
23 Mar 2008 5:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hello Cruiser,
yes the gray area is where you should stand. I'm pretty light (70 kilos) and I found that i prefer to stay toward the back of the gray area.
The SB 12'6 has allot of rocker and scoop, that is why even with such length is till really maneuverable and loose.
To use with a sail rig is better to add the center fin. Is an optional, you can order the board with the special slot and it give you the choice to use it or not.
If you don't want to use the center board you get a plug to crew in instead.
I think that with the center board upwind should be ok.
Bye Jankie

Gorgo
VIC, 4982 posts
26 Apr 2008 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All

I am looking to buy my first SUP. I am planning on spending 80% of the time padlding on flat water in Port Phillip Bay with the odd visit to the surf to crack a few ripples. I am getting excited about the Starboard 12'6"

I am 6'1" and weigh 80 kg. I am posting to see if anybody wants to point out any flaws in my thinking of board choice.

The Starboard 12'6" appeals:
- long waterline length to give good speed and glide
- extra length to be able to support my weight and occasionally take the GF out for a paddle.
- full length deck pad
- tufskin to avoid paddle and handling dings.
- it looks good

My other choice is the South Point Timpone 11'6".

Question. Is the Starboard Cruised 12'6" particularly heavy. I live 600 metres from the beach and would like to walk down with the board in a shoulder sling.

Thanks

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
26 Apr 2008 11:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Gorgo...I'll send you a PM about catching up with you..and we can demo a few boards together..

The big Starboard is very nice..and not long ago there were not many other options..But these days there's heaps..I'm not sure about it's weight.

If you like Starboards you should try a 11'2" Ultimate Blend..If you're only 80kg you don't need such a big board..imo..The 11'2" UB is definatly lighter than the big 12'6".

The 11'6" Kalama and 10'10" Walden are also worth a look...and don't buy anything without checking out the Naish boards..I have both Naish boards and you're welcome to try mine.

The new Naish 11'4" is not far off and might be worth waiting for also.

Where abouts on the bay would you be paddling?

DJ

Gorgo
VIC, 4982 posts
27 Apr 2008 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

Had a nice hour paddling about on the Starboard 12'6". Basically confirms everything all the reviews have said.

Great glide. A little less stable than the Naish 11'6" when stationary but great on the move. I felt a bit wobbley going down wind but at a total of 2 hours experience I assume that gets better.

Better balanced for carrying on the handle. Seems to be a bit lighter than the Naish which is a surprise given the weights quoted on the web sites.

Lots of mounting holes for attaching stuff. Not sure what the ones up the front are for but it could be a good spot to bolt on an esky.

The tuffskin looked horribly dinged and marked. Hopefully this is a symptom of demo boards and not the fragility of the material. My surftech mal looks perfect after several years of use.

At the moment the zen of flat water paddling is wonderful and the pumped muscle feel after is fantastic. In my mind I am the muscular Zulu warrior propelling his war canoe rather than a scrawny middle aged white dude.

Does the flat water thing get stale after a while? This would be a good reason to go more towards wave performance rather than extreme glide.

Now to try the 11'2"...

WINDY MILLER
WA, 3183 posts
27 Apr 2008 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

at ur weight..go the 11'2.....it's a great board.....i don't suppose though u can have a board that is too big for flat water.....BUT you'll get a lot more out of it on those trips to the rippley place....it will probably be a little more challenging to start off with,, but once u get your SUP legs, u wont look back...

JohnDavid
VIC, 181 posts
27 Apr 2008 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

Gorgo said...

In my mind I am the muscular Zulu warrior propelling his war canoe rather than a scrawny middle aged white dude.

Amazing what a little imagination can do! It does feel very 'tribal' sometimes.
No....I don't think the flat water thing will ever get boring, but then, I'm a paddler, not a surfer. I love the feeling of having done a hard workout after a flatwater paddle. Having said that, I'm taking every opportunity to get out in the surf and master the big board thing.

linter
223 posts
27 Apr 2008 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

gorgo: i weight what you weigh and i own both the 12-6 and the 11-2. pretty much i've retired the 12-6. it's just too much board, especially in waves. the 11-2 is all you really need. it's great in the surf and, at our weight, not a problem in flat water at all. plus, it's a ton lighter than the 12-6. have a go. i think you'll like it!

Brooko
1672 posts
27 Apr 2008 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

I reckon that was some great advice right there dj with the pic ! i have my feet in an exact position as one shown in pic (very slight natural foot stance) whilst paddeling in rough conditions yesterday i definately found where the exact sweet spot was. When i would look down i would notice i went best and had best balance and drive in this stance, i would then think to myself you should have both feet exactly together. In the end i decided to do what i felt comfy with, and that was the stance shown, so thanks for that

Gorgo
VIC, 4982 posts
2 May 2008 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Can anyone tell me if the Star-boards are particularly expensive?

I am told the 11'2" is around $1750 with a carbon paddle an extra $499. This sounds a very expensive to me.

I have seen the Southpoint Kalama Timpone for $1750 including a carbon paddle.

The Naish boards are much cheaper again at around $1500 complete.

I am told the Werner Spanker is a top of the range carbon paddle and these are only $360 so the Star-board paddle seems way expensive.

Thanks

Stand Up
WA, 73 posts
Site Sponsor
2 May 2008 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Gorgo,

I reckon you have got your wires crossed somewhere.

The 11'2 retails at $1649 with full deck EVA, a Starboard paddle is $434

The Naish boards retail at $1599. The Naish Carbon Paddle is $349. Unless your keen on the whole Wax thing you will need to buy a deckpad also - $249.

The werner paddles retail at around $460.

We dont sell the Southpoint so cant help you with that one.

Gorgo
VIC, 4982 posts
2 May 2008 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the reply. I think my retailer is making some ambit claims to give himself some room to discount.

Gorgo
VIC, 4982 posts
9 May 2008 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Had a nice paddle on the 11'2". It's definitely the go. Not much slower than the 12'6" but a heap lighter and more nimble. Had a nice time "accidentally" bashing the rails while paddling along and it stood up fine. Now to start talking bucks with the retailer.

WINDY MILLER
WA, 3183 posts
9 May 2008 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

hey gorgo...from memory the paddle that comes with the southpoint is a fibreglass shaft and a carbon paddle.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Starboard 12'6"" started by Cruiser1755