NSW, 523 posts
30 Aug 2012 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
30 Aug 2012 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Kissa,
Over 50 category. Oh yeah! .....or will I be alone. Maybe AA can come paddle.

kissa
NSW, 523 posts
30 Aug 2012 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

NNSUP said...

Hey Kissa,
Over 50 category. Oh yeah! .....or will I be alone. Maybe AA can come paddle.

Yep - love seeing the old farts going at each other. Put that category in esp for Goaty. He rips downwind and would go well in the Doctor if he is good enough to win. Oh yeah - it also my retirement plan for 5 yrs time

Ali Cat
QLD, 1205 posts
30 Aug 2012 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Great stuff Kissa!
Fingers crossed for some good downwind conditions again this year - hoping to make it down there for the final 3 races again

Al Hunter
NSW, 367 posts
30 Aug 2012 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

any dates for the doctor yet??

ockanui
VIC, 1301 posts
30 Aug 2012 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds a good series Kissa, may have to venture north soon and take on a few of the older crew in the over 50's

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
30 Aug 2012 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Al Hunter said...

any dates for the doctor yet??

19th January
oceanpaddler.com/events/the-doctor/

angie pangi
QLD, 1779 posts
31 Aug 2012 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

Hopefully I can make it down for some of them. Never paddled the ocean down there.
X Angie

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
31 Aug 2012 10:09AM
Thumbs Up

kissa said...

Yep - love seeing the old farts going at each other. Put that category in esp for Goaty.

Thanks mate, giving away my secrets now Yeah be keen as mustard for an O50s in the racing, very keen to do this now. Well done again for organising it.

pmorgan1974
NSW, 1080 posts
31 Aug 2012 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

So good to see the races starting up again...should be fun

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
31 Aug 2012 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

Is there an under 35 group ? Haha so I don't have to race you guys??

Eastcoast SUP
NSW, 333 posts
31 Aug 2012 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

Looking good Dave !

This is a really well run series, looking forward to it, but will miss the first 2 races.

kissa
NSW, 523 posts
31 Aug 2012 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

angie pangi said...

Hopefully I can make it down for some of them. Never paddled the ocean down there.
X Angie

Ang - pencil in the Narra downwinder on 3/11 - ask Ali - that one is worth travelling down for

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
5 Sep 2012 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone know what length SUP categories there are in this series?

Looking at last years it seems there was Unlimited and 12'6" - is that the case this year? There is nothing on the site.

kissa
NSW, 523 posts
5 Sep 2012 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

goatman said...

Does anyone know what length SUP categories there are in this series?
Looking at last years it seems there was Unlimited and 12'6" - is that the case this year? There is nothing on the site.

Goaty. No seperate classes this year. Just 4 categories, open, 40s, 50s and the girls. As the series progressed last year there were less and less 12'6s so we just decided to concentrate on the 4 categories. The other issue was that everyone kept swapping boards through the series which made it impossible to easily track pointscores as most entered for the whole series rather than race by race.

Was thinking about just making it 14ft'ers (esp as Starboard are sponsoring the event) but many of the local paddlers just have Bullets so we didn't want to make life difficult for them - esp as we are hoping for some great downwind races.

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
6 Sep 2012 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Dave, looks like I will be dragging out the old 16 foot DC

kissa
NSW, 523 posts
10 Sep 2012 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys. Just been told that online entry for the series closes at midnight on Thursday. If you enter online it saves a late entry fee of $10 for those that enter on the day. Enter for the whole series ($200 for the 6 races) and go in the draw for a Starboard carbon paddle. Odds are looking pretty good for the few that have already entered...
BTW - it is 8km for the SUPs (not 12k as is currently on the website).

WINDSURFnSNOW
NSW, 1612 posts
Site Sponsor
14 Sep 2012 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Good looking forecast for the first race of the season. 10-15 knot southerly winds on a small south swell are as close to perfect for this circuit race as possible.

If you're new to ocean racing then this is the perfect way to start. The lightish southerly will make for a cruisy work around the cliff's to Curly then you step out in to the wind-line for a sweet downwind run to almost Butterbox then a easy cross paddle back to Dee Why to the finish.

You can still enter on the morning. Rego shuts off at 9.30 with the race starting at 10am.

See you there.

Sam.

kissa
NSW, 523 posts
15 Sep 2012 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

Here is a quick race report.
Good tight racing today. Conditions were ideal for the 8km circuit course with a really nice 4km downwind section from Curly to Long Reef in the middle. The front 4 of Stevie, Sam, Chucky and Andy gave it everything and were close right to the end with Steve Morrison (yes, the guy in the photo) taking the win...just.
In the girls, Terrene and Nellie battled the whole way around with Terrene only taking the lead on the final run home.
So the results were:
Open:
Seve Morrison - Starboard
Sam Parker - Starboard
Chucky Domin - SIC
Andy Davies - Naish
Girls:
Terrene Black - C4
Nellie Brown - Starboard
O40s
Steve Floyd - Starboard
O50s
John Christensen - DC
For full results go to the oceanseries.com.au
Winnner of the Starboard Paddle Draw:
Ben Brown (Ben & Nellie only decided to enter for whole series after doing the race. Proved to be a profitable decision)
Thanks to Starboard and Windsurfnsnow for the continued generous sponsorship. Not everyone got a prize but plenty did.

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
15 Sep 2012 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Did you not race Kissa?

It would have been fun out there - spewing I couldn't make it.

kissa
NSW, 523 posts
16 Sep 2012 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Casso said...

Did you not race Kissa?

Casso, just had my ear drilled. Meant to be out of the water for another 5 weeks...
should be right for race 3 at Bondi

kissa
NSW, 523 posts
16 Sep 2012 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Being a specatator, I was able to take some happy snaps.

kissa
NSW, 523 posts
16 Sep 2012 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

And a few more (love the shots of Goaty - he has the place wired):

dtm
NSW, 1610 posts
16 Sep 2012 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

Dave nice shots mate i love the one of goatie to being beaten by a girl !! lol

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
17 Sep 2012 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

good to see some more chicks in the series this year.

the shorey at the end looked fun too.

Ali Cat
QLD, 1205 posts
17 Sep 2012 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

JBFletch said...

good to see some more chicks in the series this year.

the shorey at the end looked fun too.

Totally agree, from the pics it looks like there were as many girls in this race as raced throughout the whole series last year!
It's so awesome to see more girls starting to get into racing down there and i'm looking forward to the final 3 races when I get back from overseas!

Eastcoast SUP
NSW, 333 posts
17 Sep 2012 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

Great pics Dave !

Looking forward to Race 3.

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
17 Sep 2012 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

dtm said...

Dave nice shots mate i love the one of goatie to being beaten by a girl !! lol

Ha ha, even funnier was when I tried to sprint past her on the sand only to discover the finish was on the shoreline

Great race Dave, looking forward to the Down Winder versions though

kissa
NSW, 523 posts
17 Sep 2012 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

Josh, Ali, Dan, Lou - looking forward to seeing you at the coming races.
Goaty - looking good for the O50s - if you win, you might have to do the Doctor in January...
Oh yeah - there was another great battle in the o40s race with Steve Floyd just pipping Suplove Stuey. Good to see the little rivalries developing

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Sydney Oceanseries 2012 - Race 1 Dee Why - Sept 15" started by kissa