Created by Teeps > 9 months ago, 28 Oct 2011
PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
18 Nov 2011 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

camo hosk said...

PTWoody said...

angie pangi said...

All booked! Can't wait to come paddle with you all.

XX angie

Okay new rule - anyone from QLD has to do 3 laps of the course.

Nooooo,you mean the dreaded PTWoody handicap system is back for this summer too,
Nobody is spared,

Cam, I promise I won't be handicapping you this summer. I might fall over in front of you at the start line, but only if Ross is unavailable.

Bnaccas
VIC, 1722 posts
19 Nov 2011 1:06AM
Thumbs Up

Cammo, the course will be clearly marked and outlined before the race.
There will also be a lead paddler to follow so you don't get lost!

ockanui
VIC, 1299 posts
19 Nov 2011 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

based on Dave's d/w yesterday he would surely move up to be a contender, with the dark horse Camo set to move up to the front of the field also....

camo hosk
VIC, 613 posts
19 Nov 2011 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Bnaccas said...

Cammo, the course will be clearly marked and outlined before the race.
There will also be a lead paddler to follow so you don't get lost!

No probs but I'm 99.9% sure I'll have quite a few paddlers to follow this year.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
19 Nov 2011 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

ockanui said...

based on Dave's d/w yesterday he would surely move up to be a contender, with the dark horse Camo set to move up to the front of the field also....

Dave is on microphone duties, sadly.

Kaihoe
VIC, 229 posts
19 Nov 2011 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

PTWoody said...

ockanui said...

Dave is on microphone duties, sadly.

Now that is clever handicapping

lfrenchy2007
QLD, 50 posts
22 Nov 2011 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

Tickets booked now I just Need to find my 4/3 wetsuit so I don't freeze in that Melbourne water. And a board to use on the day looking forward to it, sounds like its going to be a good day

DavidJohn
VIC, 17435 posts
22 Nov 2011 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

lfrenchy2007 said...

Tickets booked now I just Need to find my 4/3 wetsuit so I don't freeze in that Melbourne water. And a board to use on the day looking forward to it, sounds like its going to be a good day

That's great.. You will not need a wettie .. Honest .. We never use them for flat water paddling on the bay.

DJ

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
22 Nov 2011 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

lfrenchy2007 said...

Tickets booked now I just Need to find my 4/3 wetsuit so I don't freeze in that Melbourne water]

What DJ said...some of the crew down here (the ones who can carry it off) don't even bother with shirts .

You'll be fine with a rashie, really.

BWDave
VIC, 239 posts
29 Nov 2011 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

Prize update.

Apart from trophies, vouchers and a bunch of other prizes we wanted to let you know that Highly Tuned Athletes are kindly donating 3 of the latest Garmen multi sport watches/devices. The 910XT value at about $450.

http://www.highlytunedathletes.com.au/Garmin-Forerunner-910XT-HRM.html

There will be one to first Male and first Female across the line.

The third watch is the fun one for the majority who don't think they can win. This one goes to the "extra-ordinary" act of the day. Now we will leave that to your imagination!!
The forecast is looking great for Sunday. We hope to see you there
Dave

DavidJohn
VIC, 17435 posts
29 Nov 2011 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

QuickBlade have also come on board with prizes.. At this stage the weather is looking good..

DJ

silvatongue
32 posts
29 Nov 2011 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

.. At this stage the weather is looking good..

DJ

Don't jinx it, this is Melbourne

angie pangi
QLD, 1779 posts
29 Nov 2011 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

Looking forward to coming down this friday. Please order some nice weather for the race

Xx angie

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
29 Nov 2011 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

angie pangi said...

Looking forward to coming down this friday. Please order some nice weather for the race

Xx angie

Judging by last Sunday, you guys seem to like windy 30 knot cross shore, choppy, with a close out dump right on the beach. Not sure if we can replicate that, but we'll see what we can do.

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
30 Nov 2011 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like great weather for the weekend Woody should be a smoking day what time is sign in 7.30?

Looks like quite a few are coming up from the coast for this one 2.

Phill

lfrenchy2007
QLD, 50 posts
30 Nov 2011 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

What sort of course will this be ? Point to point , out and back or a circuit ?

DavidJohn
VIC, 17435 posts
30 Nov 2011 1:20PM
Thumbs Up

lfrenchy2007 said...

What sort of course will this be ? Point to point , out and back or a circuit ?

I'm sure PT will correct me if I'm wrong.. and it may change on the day if we get unusual conditions but at this stage it will be two laps of a big rectangle.. Starting at Green Point and then down towards Sandy where we turn right around clearly marked marker bouy or post.. Then out a hundred meters or so where we turn back towards Green Point where we turn about a hundred meters or so off Green Point.. Head back towards the shore to start the second lap.. Tired paddlers are welcome to stop after just one lap if they wish but I think most will make the whole distance without a problem.

DJ

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
30 Nov 2011 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

It's more of a quadrangle than a rectangle really. About 3.9km each lap.

Rego is from 7.30am.

ockanui
VIC, 1299 posts
30 Nov 2011 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

yet to be named trophy for the paddle

DavidJohn
VIC, 17435 posts
30 Nov 2011 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

Good job Mike.

DJ

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
30 Nov 2011 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

This is roughly last years course. Seems that the plan is do it again this year. 2 Laps. Starts in the North, clockwise laps.

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
1 Dec 2011 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

Teeps said...

T-shirts are in... Modelled very humbly by SUP VIC President PT Woody. The female tees are different cut and slightly different in colour. We have all sizes from Fem XS through to Male XXL. Free to each registered competitor in both Elite 8km and Social 2km Paddle events.

Somebody feed that man a STEAK!!!

silvatongue
32 posts
1 Dec 2011 11:08AM
Thumbs Up

Will there be any demo boards available to use in the race?

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
1 Dec 2011 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

silvatongue said...

Will there be any demo boards available to use in the race?

You would want to jump in early with either Ian at Starboard or Warwick at RPS as there are a few race boards floating about.

BWDave
VIC, 239 posts
1 Dec 2011 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

Running Sheet for the GMP2011

0730-0845 Registration for 8km race and 2km social paddle

0850 8km race briefing

0900 8km race start

0910 Demo boards and kids paddle lesson

0915-0945 2 km social paddle registration continues

1000-1030 8km race finish and set for kids race. under 14, 12, 10

1030 Kids race/races. about 200m each

1045 2km social paddle briefing.

1055 2km social paddle start

1130 on Presentations and prizes.

There will be food, drink, coffee and ice creams available during the day.

See you on the water

Teeps
VIC, 228 posts
1 Dec 2011 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

The Great Melbourne Paddle is now officially the opening race of the VICTORIAN FLAT WATER SUP CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES!!!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22191429/VFWSCS

SUP VIC team up with Surfing Victoria to present the inaugural Victorian Flat Water Sup Championship Series

Victoria's largest Stand Up Paddle Organisation, SUP VIC (Stand Up Paddle Victoria Inc.) has teamed with Victoria's premier surf sporting body, Surfing Victoria, to present the inaugural Victorian Flat Water SUP Championship Series.

The five-race series commences with the Great Melbourne Paddle this Sunday 4th December at Green Point, Brighton Beach.

The Flat Water Championship Series will combine SUP VIC's signature event, with key races from other clubs, promoters and retailers along Port Phillip Bay.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22191429/VFWSCS_partners

The series will work on a points accrual system, with entry and placing in each race counting towards the final crowning of the Victorian Flat Water SUP Champion at the end of the season.

Competitors will accrue their three highest point scoring rounds, culminating in acknowledgement of the state champion for flat water in each category at the Surfing Victoria SUP State Titles in Torquay on 26th February, 2012.

"We are delighted to partner with Surfing Victoria in this championship series, combining each of the longest running Victorian stand up paddle races at several iconic bayside beaches" said SUP VIC President Paul Harrington.

"In this inaugural championship season, we are especially pleased to welcome the promoters of all the major events, including RPS the Boardstore, SHQ Boardsports, The ZU, and SUP HQ".

"With the championship decided over five rounds, we are certain to see some intense racing in all categories and the crowning of very deserving state champions."

Categories will include:

Men's Open (Unlimited)

Women's Open (Unlimited)

Men's 12'6" and under

Women's 12'6" and under

Senior Men's (45+)

Senior Women's (45+)

Junior Boys (Under 18)

Junior Girls (Under 18)

The Victorian Flat Water Championship Series consists of five races over the 2011-12 summer:

Dec 4 - SUP VIC / Starboard Great Melbourne Paddle - Green Point, Brighton Beach

Jan 22 - THE ZU Spirit of ZuMania Race - West St.Kilda to Port Melbourne

Jan 26 - SUP HQ Port Phillip Cup - St Kilda Beach

Feb 12 - SHQ Race To The Cerberus - Sandringham Beach

Feb 18 - RPS/Starboard King Of The Cerb - Half Moon Bay / Black Rock

For more information, contact SUP VIC:

info@supvic.com

or visit the SUP VIC website: www.supvic.com

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
1 Dec 2011 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Excellent. Well done SUP Vic.

Have you sorted out how the winner is decided. Points system, aggregate of times, best 3 of 5 race placings (lowest aggregate), highest monetary donation contributor to SUP Vic ....

We have until Jan 22 (Race 2) to sort something out... Record times & classes for Race 1, and work that stuff out later!

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
1 Dec 2011 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

If I knew more about Statistics, I would run a tote! But some rogue Queensland visitors might stuff me up. But that raises another question... I'd guess that a Queenslander can't win the Vicco State Titles?

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
1 Dec 2011 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

I have a Naish Glide 14 Footer (original model, yellow rails and base) that is available to borrow for the race. No takers yet. Sure, it's not the fastest 14'er around (it's a DownWind board), but it's a damn site faster than 10 foot surf SUP's. PM me.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
1 Dec 2011 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Simondo said...

If I knew more about Statistics, I would run a tote! But some rogue Queensland visitors might stuff me up. But that raises another question... I'd guess that a Queenslander can't win the Vicco State Titles?

If a rogue Queenslander wants to come to all 5 events and win them all, I would not have a problem with them being crowned series champion. The points system is going to be based on a Surfing Victoria model where every entrant scores points. We will publish the details soon.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"The 2011 Great Melbourne Paddle" started by Teeps