Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

The Dale Chapman SUP5000 (2013)

Created by Goochi > 9 months ago, 9 Oct 2013
Goochi
WA, 846 posts
9 Oct 2013 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

SUPWA - The Dale Chapman SUP5000, 2013

One of the most fun SUP events on the SUPWA calendar, which is why we do it twice! Dale Chapman is putting up a $1200 custom DC board voucher towards a SUP surf or race board made to your specifications. This a prize draw for competitors only - so get your entries in quick!!

When: Sunday the 27th of October
Where: Deep Water Point Canning River
Time: Registration from 0745-0815 at Deep Water Point. Racing from 0900-1100
Cost: free for SUPWA members, $10 for non members. Payment via the new SUPWA gateway - details to be posted later this week

Divisions:

Wave 1
Female Open 12'6
Female Open 14'
Surf Board (10'-12')

Wave 2
Open 14' - note women can enter this division if they want to do the full 5000m
Male O/40 14'

Wave 3
Male Open 12'6
Male O/50 14'
Mixed Unlimited Boards

Description: There are 4 races for Men: 2000m 1500m 1000m 500m 3 Races for Women and Surf Boards 1500m 1000m 500m You tally up your places for your results. Lowest score wins. Great prizes on offer and a demo day! This is the event to get your mates that want to give SUP a go. Come down try a board, race a board.

NOTE - waves will be capped at 20 paddlers, so make sure you get down early to register. (we can only fit 60 paddlers on the race course - we had 54 last season) or email Greg - president@supwa.com.au - with the division you wish to compete in to reserve a place.

Check: www.facebook.com/StandUpPaddleWA for updates (and this thread).

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
10 Oct 2013 1:29AM
Thumbs Up

WOW it's hard to believe that it was less than 12 months ago that I bought my 2nd hand DC 14 on the Friday arvo after a 20 minute paddle and rocked up for the SUP 5000 the next morning.

I didn't end up in the placings but didn't really care, I improved with each race, had heaps of fun and loved the concept/format.

I'm in.

akhawk
WA, 1085 posts
10 Oct 2013 8:15AM
Thumbs Up

I'm in too. Great format, great vibe, great people.

stimo
WA, 874 posts
10 Oct 2013 9:25AM
Thumbs Up

And a chance to win the DC board prize

Pete was the lucky winner last year

That's the red board he turned the prize into
Rumour has it he's ordered the new dug out DC if he wasn't faster enough all ready

paddlejac
WA, 36 posts
10 Oct 2013 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome race format and day on the water. Wish I could be there but it's Tough Mudder that morning plus probably good to leave my shoulder alone for a bit longer but I'll be ready for the downwinders again this year (need to revive the Sunday arvo group runs - great learning and fun for everyone!)

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
10 Oct 2013 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jac
Looking forward to seeing you back on the water. The DW season will have an opening event this year on December the 1st - the Fig2Fig. Details to follow soon. After that we plan to have the usual DW Sundays as conditions suit.

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
21 Oct 2013 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

The conditions look great for this weekend (no head winds! for those that competed in yesterday's Classic Paddle)

Entries still available, but this event is capped at 60 paddlers, make sure you secure a spot for Sunday's event to be in a chance to win a $1200 DC board voucher.

This is open to all levels and all board types, heaps of fun and good recovery time between races to have a chat. Kids races will be organised on the day - using their parents board. Bring the family down!

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
21 Oct 2013 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

After discussion with a couple of the female 14' paddlers, we have decided to make the female 14' division the full distance - 2000m, 1500m, 1000m and 500m. This is only slightly longer than a paddleLoop, so very achievable for all fitness levels.

The female 14' division will race in wave 3 with the O/50 men and unlimited division.

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
22 Oct 2013 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Conditions just got better - a light tail wind. Get your entries in, Dale Chapman himself is flying over for the event.
Only 20 places left - email president@supwa.com.au to register. Non members can pay online or on the day.
Open to surf boards as well!

stimo
WA, 874 posts
24 Oct 2013 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

I hear this is on its way over for one of the paddlers this weekend good luck to who ever takes out the lucky DC door prize hope its me

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
25 Oct 2013 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

Entries so far for the Dale Chapman SUP5000
www.racesplitter.com/races/FD62E168A

There will be a kids race after the racing at ~1100, so don't forget to bring the kids!

Casso
NSW, 3768 posts
25 Oct 2013 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Just saw the trophy for this event on Facebook - looks awesome!

Squeeky
QLD, 60 posts
25 Oct 2013 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

I herd from a good source this board is called the swong because it climbs onto the bumps so easy!!!

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
27 Oct 2013 2:09PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks all round to SUPWA, Dale Chapman, all the other sponsors & all the SUPWA Committee & volunteers for yet another great SUP5000. Can't wait for the next one.

cheers

Juddy & Nat.

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
27 Oct 2013 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

The 2nd Annual Dale Chapman SUP5000 was a great day. Big turn out and some close racing. As always it was battles within the divisions that were hard fought.

Special thanks to the amazing Dale Chapman for his kind sponsorship and attendance - he did pretty well in this format coming 4th overall!
Well done to Nicki Jones, who was only lamenting the fact she needed a race SUP moments before her name was drawn out of the bag by Dale. Nicki wins a $1200 voucher to spend on a custom DC board - I'm guessing she'll choose a race board!

Thanks to Jeremy Pye from Ace Cinema's for the double movie vouchers and to Wes for arranging this. Also extra special thanks to Kev Kemp Smith and Thomas Nador helping out with starting and results. With over 50 entries and close racing it gets pretty intense calling out numbers at the finish.

Photos to come, see results below:

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
27 Oct 2013 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a great event , love the distances too , short and sweet.Their all fixated on distance stuff on the East Coast

stimo
WA, 874 posts
27 Oct 2013 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
teatrea said..

Looks like a great event , love the distances too , short and sweet.Their all fixated on distance stuff on the East Coast

Quote how hard can 5 k be (DC )

Big weekend for DC paddle boards some good DW runs Saturday and Sundays racing was harder than you think and lots of DC boards out there racing lots in the top places too , Think the Cott session might have just caught with him thanks again DC for getting behind supwa your western family

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
27 Oct 2013 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

Nicki Jones the winner of the $1200 DC voucher. That's a great thank you hug! made DC's day.
Well done Nicki!

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
27 Oct 2013 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

It was a beautiful spring day in Perth at Canning Bridge for the 2013 Dale Chapman SUP5000. Glorious conditions, sunshine, moderate temp and a light tail wind. A few pesky ski boats about that ignored the event signs, but not enough to put the competitors off. As mentioned earlier the racing was close, one of the stand out performances was young Wes Fry taking out the U/40 14' and featuring in the top 5 for the Open division! Looking forward to you joining your Dad at training in the mornings Wes!

The kids race - good fun, paddlers of the future

The DC Boards.....

...the Man!

Juddy O'Malley 1st Male 12'6

Big Smiles

Luke Jenkins 1st O/40 Male 14'

Derek Jones 1st O/50 Male 14'

Wes Fry 1st Under 40 Male 14'

Belinda Stowell 1st Female 14'

Mike Galvin 3rd Open 14'

Marcus Tardrew 3rd Open 14'

Dale is happy, great trophy!

Peter Pridmore 1st Open 14' and winner of the Dale Chapman SUP5000 for 2013

A few words (Dale had lost his voice) from the man.

Fantastic day of racing and catching up.

DaiSup
WA, 35 posts
27 Oct 2013 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

What a great day this was! My first SUP5000 and loved the race format...was great to see Dale there too, it's not often you get to meet the guy who shapes the board you ride.

Many thanks to the organisers, sponsors and the SUPWA crew....... it's clear to see that SUP racing in WA is in good hands.

akhawk
WA, 1085 posts
28 Oct 2013 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

Yet another great supwa event!
Big thanks to supwa organisers and especially Dale for coming over and supporting it so generously.
The thing I've noticed is the depth in the mid packers. The same few
Paddlers are still out the front but now the rest of the field is gaining ground and there are so many races happening within the race. The mid pack group is really becoming competitive and very deep. I should know as I have a great view of what's happening from the back of the field!!
Also congrats to Pete Pridmore. Not only is he one of the fastest paddlers around, he's a great bloke, has a 6 pack on top of the 6 pack, lovely family around him, an awesome new dc board and he's a Dr!! What an under achiever
I think I'm suffering from a mild case of man envy!!

EllanVannin
1 posts
28 Oct 2013 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

Just like to thank Dale Chapman for his generous gift and everyone involved for organising a fabulous event. It was a great day and lots of fun.

jenkz
WA, 793 posts
28 Oct 2013 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic to see Nicki's reaction at winning the DC voucher, she was totally stoked.
Huge thanks to Dale Chapman for supporting the event and travelling over for it. Will be great to see him back for the King of the Cut he's going to love the course.
Also big effort in the SUP5000 by Marcus Tardrew who came second overall in the 14' open division on a 12'6 DC board.
Yep their fast

Gyppo
WA, 35 posts
28 Oct 2013 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

A couple of random pics from the event. Thank you SUPWA for putting on, yet another great event, and for Dale for the generous sponsorship.

Benno87
WA, 51 posts
28 Oct 2013 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

Great race, great event, great weather and amazing support! Cheers to DC for showing so much support to SUP in WA and for putting up such an amazing prize! Well done to all that competed and also the great support from the crowd on the foreshore!
Looking forward to the Fig2Fig to officially start the Downwind Season!

YOB Australia
WA, 169 posts
29 Oct 2013 7:34AM
Thumbs Up

What a day !! I reckon the SUPWA committee must have a direct line to Huey for this event - always fantastic conditions !! This event is such a blast - so many races within races, and the chance to try that bit harder in the next race to beat your personal nemesis ( yes, that's you Derek, Kent and Gordo). This event format was initially an original idea tabled by Greg ( SUPWA president) last year and has been a huge success. Just goes to show that the SUPWA committee not only run a great association and terrific events, but also come up with 'world firsts' for our fantastic sport.
So much work goes in to these events behind the scenes and on the day, so if ever you are in a position to help out, don't be shy - put your hand up!
A massive thank you to Dale for his continued suport - he is truly one of this sports' legends. Such an approachable guy, not to mention the fact that he also makes the fastest SUP's on the planet ! ( Very fitting that so many of the top placings were on DC boards ).

JKB
WA, 5 posts
29 Oct 2013 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

Big thanks to SUPWA and Dale Chapman for Sunday's SUP 5000 at Deep Water Point W.A! It was perfect conditions, the event was run seamlessly which meant it was a great vibe. Very cool that DC came all the way over to the West for this event and was very generous with prizes and his boards looked fast!!

I only recently got into SUP racing over the winter and am hooked now thanks to the lessons learnt and good blokes from the Freo pod, looking forward to my virgin downwind race on 1 December - Fig2Fig, baptism of fire may not be the right phrase......

YEAH SUPWA.

buccaneer
WA, 60 posts
29 Oct 2013 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Congratulations to SUPWA on another brilliantly structured and well run event.
It was an absolute blast to participate and a privilege to paddle with so many awesome people!
SUP in WA is going off!
Sensational effort by Dale with event sponsorship and paddling performance.
It was a great pleasure to meet the man.
Apparently, his influence in shaping was not only present in the DC boards being ridden...
Outstanding!!

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
2 Nov 2013 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Has Dale recovered?

Maxeeboy
WA, 335 posts
12 Sep 2014 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

great memories from last year. Bring on Sunday
Max 23 Sunny. Perth. Light winds in the morning.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"The Dale Chapman SUP5000 (2013)" started by Goochi