Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Walden 10'10 -good board for Bali????

Created by dazed321 > 9 months ago, 4 Jun 2009
dazed321
WA, 160 posts
4 Jun 2009 12:23AM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys,

I want get a sup for Bali. To catch some bigger waves!!
I am able to get a 2008 Walden 10'10.
I weigh 75kg.

Some people are telling me I should go a lot smaller,

I thought it would be good on the 10 '10

to paddle in early??

I just got into sup-ing in the last 6mths and am fully hooked, no more shortboard!

any tips would be great

thanks

worrier
WA, 726 posts
4 Jun 2009 7:50AM
Thumbs Up

Theres been a couple of expat Bali SUPers and a local from Sanur postin some stuff on here lately.
I would be tryin to contact them before anyone else.
Local knowledge just cant be beat. IMO

I would love to chuck a couple of Sups in a locals boat for a week and go a full circle around the Island. The waves would be awsome especially some of the stuff off the coast a bit.
W

paddle pop
QLD, 6 posts
4 Jun 2009 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

The walden 10'10 is a bloody awful board for paddling in to anything - sure they are mega stable and paddle ok but can be a frustrating board to actually get into the wave and have a nasty habit of just stopping on the wave if you don't have it trimmed just right. I am pretty sure that the sup shop/crew in bali use starboards and in my opinion you will fare much much better on one of those. the other thing is that it will be easier to hire than to transport and way less chance of damaging your board. So in all honesty I reckon a walden will get you into trouble in bali, especially if you are thinking about anything over 2 to 3 ft.

sunnySUP
QLD, 199 posts
4 Jun 2009 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

You could demo and buy one in bali, make sure you can get it on the plane for the trip home though.

Theres two SUP shops that I went to one in Legian and one in Sanur, supbali.com and standuppaddlebali.org

dazed321
WA, 160 posts
5 Jun 2009 2:38PM
Thumbs Up

i have spoken to guys here, and they have confused me!!!

They think the walden is to big,

I thought Laird rides a 12' in hawaii???

They say to go small,

I was going to get this one at a good price, or any 'global surf industries boards' at a good price

what about the Uber fish, then?
http://www.surfindustries.com/surfboards/7S_uberFish.php

The board will stay in Bali, as I spend a lot of time here.

thanking you in advance

rob

billboard
QLD, 2816 posts
5 Jun 2009 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

If you can get the uber fish at a good price it is definately worth a look. They will seem a little tippy at first but you will get used to this board very easily and they surf really well. I personally would seriously consider the new 10'6 Nsp. It is an awesome board that is incredibly stable and pretty much anyone of any age and size could paddle/surf it. The nsp is a far better board in every aspect to the walden 10'10. Depending on your weight and whether or not the board is purely for surf or a mixture of surf/flatwater will determine whether the uber or nsp will be better. In my opinion if you are over 80kg and you intend you use the board for a bit of everything (surf/flat/lend to visitors/fun for the kids/wife etc) then the nsp is absolutely unbeatable value in the gsi range.

dazed321
WA, 160 posts
5 Jun 2009 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

Yep, i already have a 11' Nsp

great board, A whole lot more respect for the NSP range now!!!!

I really want to take it to the next level, surf waves like Ulu's & Padang etc.

I seen guys charge pipe on sup,

I love this sport.....

billboard
QLD, 2816 posts
5 Jun 2009 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Well in that case - if you have the ability to sup at ulus or anywhere on the bukit for that matter then IMO gsi do not make the board for you. You seriously need to get a naish 9'3/9'6 or a psh 9'3/9'6 or a smaller starboard - that is of course if you are wanting an off the rack production board. All I can say is that if you are stepping down from an nsp 11'0 for the first time then get some serious time on one of those smaller high performance sups before you attempt any half decent sized breaks in bali. If you were going to be surfing medewi or similar longboardy type waves then the boards you are looking at may be ok but you will not survive the bukit on those type of boards no matter how long you've been surfing. (IMO) I would go so far as to say that you will need a naish/psh or even better a custom sup from someone like laguna bay or dale chapman. The waves you want to surf require special skills and special equipment so do not comprimise on your choice of sup for the job.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
5 Jun 2009 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

dazed321 said...

Yep, i already have a 11' Nsp

great board, A whole lot more respect for the NSP range now!!!!

I really want to take it to the next level, surf waves like Ulu's & Padang etc.

I seen guys charge pipe on sup,

I love this sport.....

umm, when ever i think i'm nailing it, i just remind myself to watch this again
unbelieveable

kitesurfbali
WA, 531 posts
5 Jun 2009 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

Ciao Rob,
no much confusion....
For fast reef waves at your weight you need something around a 10'0.
But not like the fish... We had fish outs and they are great for mushy head high waves.
Look at those picture of Ulus from the Brasilian guys..
They took the Starboard 9'8 out only one day and the next they run back to me to change with one of the JL...
Of all the board they have ins tock at Jungle the most performance board is the Bonga 10'0.
A bit hard to use at the beginning but then it goes very well you can ask to Mick of Bingin to give it a go... As he took mine.
For all of you Rob is a really good surfer!!!
Come to see me... I may have somethign for you...
Bye Jankie

SUPBALIcom
NSW, 149 posts
6 Jun 2009 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

Dazed321 , if you are stepping down in size & stepping up in wave difficulty then be sure to think of width for stability!!! My suggestion would be the STARBOARD 10'3 &/or potentially the STARBOARD 9'8 .
a.. 10'3 suggestion is based on providing length & stability but the slightly narrower board will allow speed down the line especially at Ulus.
check out the pics attached for the 10'3..

b.. 9'8 is a board that you can certainly relax on as far as stability & this will certainly perform well in waves & also provide a board to have some fun on in other locations as well..

scott mckerc
WA, 284 posts
7 Jun 2009 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

Here's a couple of clips from Indo recently showing that the small fish's (8'5x30) are far from limited to small mushy waves. We had all size boards up there and for myself was loving the speed/ drive and ability to pump down the line and fit into smaller pockets than the bigger boards allow.
It's gotten to the point for me that I'm always reaching for the pocket rocket every time.(85kg's)
If you're wanting a board with a little more glide for paddling in,you'd go for the 9'8x30 and the 10'3x28.5 can handle any size wave put before it.
scotty mckercher

scott mckerc
WA, 284 posts
7 Jun 2009 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

Here's a couple of clips to show that the 8.5"x30" are far from limited to small mushy waves. In fact In hollow fast waves where you had to pump down the line to make sections it was invaluable. I'm pretty much reaching for the 8'5 all the time now. Fella who runs the surf camp bought one straight away after having a shot.
It gets into waves pretty easy, but if you are looking for something with a bit more glide that still handles juice you'd go the 9'8"x30", (Used that in Padang Padang). ANd the 10'3"x28.5" can handle pretty much any size surf.
scotty mckercher

DavidJohn
VIC, 17456 posts
7 Jun 2009 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the post and vids Scotty.. Will we be seeing you again at the Mambo this year?

DJ

dazed321
WA, 160 posts
7 Jun 2009 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks so much guys and especially Jankie!!

Today Jankie let me demo the starboard and a Jimmy Lewi Surf?

I liked the Jimmy as I felt it linked the turns together MUCH better.

Hey Scott McKerc, got an tips on the Surfing Padang, I have surfed it on a short board, but this season i want to SUP it.

YEOW!!!

I hope I don't die, But I will die with a SMILE

PS: If you are coming to Bali to SUP Jankie is your man.
rock on Jankie,
see you in the morning,

kitesurfbali
WA, 531 posts
8 Jun 2009 1:54AM
Thumbs Up

By the way when I was talking about the Fish I was specifically talking of the UBER FISH as there is a guy here that has one board that looks the twin of the UBER!!!
Then everyone has board that he like more for certain conditions.
I like more the SB 10'3 x 28'5 in hollow fast waves then the SB 9'8 (last year).

Scott rocks big time in any wave and any size of board...
Bye Jankie

scott mckerc
WA, 284 posts
8 Jun 2009 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

HI Dave
Mambo would be fun. Love to get the rivermouth on again.
As for Padang, Generally I wouldn't do it with the place being so crowded, but I just happened to be there when there was only 5 boogie boarders out, so opportunity knocked.

SUPBALIcom
NSW, 149 posts
8 Jun 2009 5:01PM
Thumbs Up

dazed321 , where did you guys SUP yesterday as it was super small all over Bali ???? keen to come paddle with you & Jankie over the next few days so let us know where you have been & where you are going so we can hook up! I think you guys were hitting Serangan correct?
Have some fellow SUPpers joining tomorrow & we are off to SUP SECRETS & hope to score some nice waves & hope to catch up soon. cheers SUP PETE

Shartster
NSW, 8 posts
9 Jun 2009 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

I have the same board. I am 105kg and still have trouble throwing it around. It is a bot corky on bigger waves and the nose rocker does not suit steep takeoffs. I would be looking at something shorter than this. I rode a 9.8 starbourd fish and caught just as many waves with the same ease so length is not everything. Definitely go smaller and more along the lines of surfboard shape rather than mal shape. My thoughts anyway.

Good luck

dazed321
WA, 160 posts
9 Jun 2009 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

Lets hook-up SUPBALI,

Rob +6281236333362
yep,
you are correct with location.
Yesterday we got over head waves, i thought it was EPIC as i have just arrived to Bali after 5mths in Mui Ne, Vietnam.

I'm frothing to sup, give me a call

rob

Lobes
885 posts
9 Jun 2009 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

dazed321 said...

kite-n-surf.com

Awesome, this is my board!! Best photo I've seen of one of these ripping and waaaay more extreme than I've ever had it!!!

Thank you for posting!

(6', 95kg)

dazed321
WA, 160 posts
9 Jun 2009 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

I made it for sure

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Walden 10'10 -good board for Bali????" started by dazed321