Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

What design 12'6 should I make now?

Created by LSD > 9 months ago, 2 Jan 2010
LSD
VIC, 763 posts
2 Jan 2010 11:02AM
Thumbs Up

I need to make one more 12'6 ...any sugestions for the design?

jenkz
WA, 793 posts
2 Jan 2010 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

I haven't seen any SUBs with channels in them yet. How would they affect a downwinder board if at all?

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
2 Jan 2010 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

LSD said...

I need to make one more 12'6 ...any sugestions for the design?

i always image a kind of triple displacement nose running into double concaves.still with a pointy nose. its a bit out there
cheers

BWDave
VIC, 239 posts
5 Jan 2010 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

Dean
I think perhaps a shape like the new Hobie race boards but with a bit more volume to suit a paddler of about 105kg. Hint,hint
Dave

Piros
QLD, 6946 posts
5 Jan 2010 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

I reckon something that looks like two 303 bullets back to back.

Rob

NewcastleSUP
NSW, 250 posts
5 Jan 2010 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

jenkz said...

I haven't seen any SUBs with channels in them yet. How would they affect a downwinder board if at all?

Raimana's custom C4's for chopes have channels.

LSD
VIC, 763 posts
6 Jan 2010 7:55AM
Thumbs Up

Interesting Bark Vid...

Gorgo
VIC, 4958 posts
6 Jan 2010 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

That first 12'6 with the square tail looks nice. Nice displacement nose but a relatively surf capable tail.

We need some video of the nose and tail of the Naish 14' during a downwinder so we can see exactly what effect the wide thick tail and the nose rocker has.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17437 posts
6 Jan 2010 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

Gorgo said...

That first 12'6 with the square tail looks nice. Nice displacement nose but a relatively surf capable tail.

We need some video of the nose and tail of the Naish 14' during a downwinder so we can see exactly what effect the wide thick tail and the nose rocker has.

Will do.. .. That's why I've been mucking around with my camera lately and now I have windows movie maker on my computer it's so much easier to edit and post.. I'm hanging out for our next big down winder now..

DJ

Piros
QLD, 6946 posts
6 Jan 2010 8:26AM
Thumbs Up

Great video....thanks for posting that.

LSD
VIC, 763 posts
6 Jan 2010 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

BWDave said...

Dean
I think perhaps a shape like the new Hobie race boards but with a bit more volume to suit a paddler of about 105kg. Hint,hint
Dave

Ok Dave....I take the hint....I've cut off a bit of foam 41/2" & I will make a 12'6 similar to the squash tail in the vid, They are like the Hobie as well
28" or plus a bit will float you...what do you think?
Adam is 95kg & the 4" is fine.
If the surf would stop here I may get it done by Aust day for you to have a shot on
Cheers
Dean

JonathanC
VIC, 1021 posts
6 Jan 2010 1:20PM
Thumbs Up

This is starting to get interesting!

BWDave
VIC, 239 posts
8 Jan 2010 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

LSD said...

BWDave said...

Dean
Dave

Ok Dave....I take the hint....I've cut off a bit of foam 41/2" & I will make a 12'6 similar to the squash tail in the vid, They are like the Hobie as well
28" or plus a bit will float you...what do you think?
Adam is 95kg & the 4" is fine.
If the surf would stop here I may get it done by Aust day for you to have a shot on
Cheers
Dean

Sounds great Dean. I would never wish the surf away but would love to paddle your board at the Port Phillip Cup. I am on the other side at Portsea and today is the first day of decent surf for ages so I am looking forward to some waves, just waiting for the wind to swing off a little.
28 wide sounds great with as much thickness as is available.
Waiting to hear how it goes.Dave

LSD
VIC, 763 posts
8 Jan 2010 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

The 12'6 x 25 flat water displacement hull being used where it is not intended to be used....surfing waves.

The displacement stern dirty wake at planing speed

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
8 Jan 2010 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

LSD said...

The 12'6 x 25 flat water displacement hull being used where it is not intended to be used....surfing waves.

The displacement stern dirty wake at planing speed

with the widest point of the board being back there i reckon it should surf better than a lot might expect. i have been surfing some small ones on a 14'xp vertice with it widest behind centre and it surfs pretty good for it size
cheers

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
10 Jan 2010 12:25AM
Thumbs Up

Dean how hard is it to shape In the style of the 2010 Star-board racers with the cutouts in the standing area? For instance the "New" and the K14. They seem to be winning all the races in SoCal with the SB team paddlers. I'd assume that the venting system would be the hardest part.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17437 posts
10 Jan 2010 7:29AM
Thumbs Up

More pics for you Dean... www.flickr.com/photos/26353379@N06/

DJ

LSD
VIC, 763 posts
10 Jan 2010 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

PTWoody said...

Dean how hard is it to shape In the style of the 2010 Star-board racers with the cutouts in the standing area? For instance the "New" and the K14. They seem to be winning all the races in SoCal with the SB team paddlers. I'd assume that the venting system would be the hardest part.

Hi Paul,
Well obviously it adds a lot more work...its not difficult to shape, but is will present glassing problems.
They do it for 2 reasons, one, the board has a higher rider weight range, second....when the race is done they plug in the spa jets & jump in & relax

DavidJohn
VIC, 17437 posts
11 Jan 2010 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

More pics of that new JL.

DJ

and a funny looking new Starboard.

stevefields
NSW, 8 posts
11 Jan 2010 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

Bryon's boards as used at Coffs

LSD
VIC, 763 posts
11 Jan 2010 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

Great to see some design inovation ....thanks for posting the shots DJ

NC Surfer
142 posts
11 Jan 2010 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

Nice to see you read my blog DJ

That Starboard had about 6 to 7 feet of dead flat rocker in the middle. I've never seen any board with true dead flatness, and then to be flat for so much length was wild. The board was literally just bent up at each end about 3 ft from the ends.

When EJ paddled hard for the finish, the board rocked up and down like a hobby horse. Wild to see a board act like this. He paddles hard!

LSD
VIC, 763 posts
11 Jan 2010 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

NC Surfer said...

That Starboard had about 6 to 7 feet of dead flat rocker in the middle. I've never seen any board with true dead flatness, and then to be flat for so much length was wild. The board was literally just bent up at each end about 3 ft from the ends.

When EJ paddled hard for the finish, the board rocked up and down like a hobby horse. Wild to see a board act like this. He paddles hard!

This board has no rocker at all.....

No rocker is part of the reason why the tail wake below is over the tail....the board is being forced to fit the wave curve.

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
11 Jan 2010 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

Like the look of the JL....

champcrow
SA, 804 posts
11 Jan 2010 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Scotty Mac said...

Like the look of the JL....

I'm with you Scotty! I wouldn't mind seeing a vid of them.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
11 Jan 2010 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

and a funny looking new Starboard.

I assume that funny looking Star-board is a prototype of The NEW...

http://www.star-board-sup.com/2010/products/boards/board_thenew.php

NC Surfer said...

So is the board any good do you think, or is EJ Johnson just that fast?

NC Surfer
142 posts
11 Jan 2010 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

So is the board any good do you think, or is EJ Johnson just that fast?

I don't know. At the kook level of racing, the paddler means way more than the board.

These were custom boards, and the basis for the Starboard model.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17437 posts
12 Jan 2010 4:29AM
Thumbs Up

NC Surfer said...

Daily..

I've been thinking about that rocker thing and how the board needs to be able to move under you due to the paddling forces that get transfered through the board.

Interesting stuff... Throw all your surfing/windsurfing rocker ideas out the window..

DJ

LSD
VIC, 763 posts
14 Jan 2010 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

I 've ended up making the 3rd 12'6 consevative, changed the rocker at little, straighter outline in the tail, overall thickness 1/2 more, stiffened it with a carbon deck area wraped to the bottom, plaining tail with small concave, strap handle for picking up & running with the board in a beach start.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17437 posts
14 Jan 2010 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

Looks good Dean. A pic of the bottoms would be nice.

DJ

LSD
VIC, 763 posts
20 Jan 2010 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

The plaining tail 12'6 boards surf ok, who knows...& they may even paddle fast?
Nick Molony having fun on a small prk

Comparison of two tail types
Displacement, I think it paddles a tad faster...but hard to surf.....it rolls.

Planing.........much cleaner

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"What design 12'6 should I make now?" started by LSD