Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

What were you riding in 1969?

Created by towball > 9 months ago, 9 Apr 2011
towball
4627 posts
9 Apr 2011 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

Just saw a picture of Bob Mct lying under a 6'6"pin tail he had just shaped ,thought what was I riding then ? 6'7"Bob Davie diamond tail .Interested to see who remember back that far.

gumballs
NSW, 408 posts
9 Apr 2011 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

I was riding a little yellow zippy board in the little pool at bondi icebergs.I was 6 years old and just able to swim.

CMC
QLD, 3954 posts
9 Apr 2011 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

I was riding around with a few million other tadpoles in my old mans nutsack and was for around 6 years afterwards

Sparx
VIC, 734 posts
9 Apr 2011 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

Nine years old.
Wavetight plastic fantastic
Cheers
Sparx

towball
4627 posts
9 Apr 2011 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

I'm sure I'm not the only old fart on here.

CMC said...

I was riding around with a few million other tadpoles in my old mans nutsack and was for around 6 years afterwards

Sparx
VIC, 734 posts
9 Apr 2011 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

Jeez mate
You're redifining the term old fart. Perhaps we should have divisions, like, old fart, crusty old curmudgeon, living ledgend, happy to be alive and taking one day at a time!
Cheers
Sparx

Piros
QLD, 6936 posts
9 Apr 2011 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

Mate I was ripping it up on a Surf O Plane , at only 6 I was a danger between the flags at Surfers Paradise , taking off on anything and running over unsuspecting tourists.

My parents would take me to the local servo to blow them and put in such air until it started to twist

Newmo
VIC, 471 posts
9 Apr 2011 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

Was only a month old at the start of 69.

towball
4627 posts
9 Apr 2011 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

Nothings changed then Rob think about it lol

Piros said...

Mate I was ripping it up on a Surf O Plane , at only 6 I was a danger between the flags at Surfers Paradise , taking off on anything and running over unsuspecting tourists.

My parents would take me to the local servo to blow them and put in such air until it started to twist

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
9 Apr 2011 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

I was riding a home made skateboard around the local shopping center,made from chipboard and a cut up roller skate.

Chipboard found under the house,rolla skate found in big sisters bedroom,paint canary yellow (brother owned a yellow cortina )black gt stripes ( dads tool box ) all was going well until the fat guy who owned the local Chinese takaway got sick of me and pushed my off and stood and snapped my board. age 7

Piros
QLD, 6936 posts
9 Apr 2011 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

towball said...

LOL

Mac we used plywood decks with a set of Nipper Gayrads on the front and steel roller skate wheels on the back , sparks used to fly out the back as we took the final turn at Kings Carpark in Surfers.

Leroy13
VIC, 1174 posts
9 Apr 2011 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Tragically I was 11 years old and was riding the pride of my life a 7'2" George Rice Pintail (I saved up for twelve months!!) after graduating from My Uncle's 8'6" Klemm Bell "Plastic Machine". A rip off of the board that Nat Young won his world Championship on. The Board that I learned how to stand up on on in the summer of 1966 however was my uncle's 10'6" Barry Bennet. It took three of us to carry it to the water at Ocean Grove. We even used to surf in winter (not often I'll grant you), wearing Footy jumpers. How I'm still alive is a miracle!!!

Oh yeah, and Wayne Lynch Rules!!!!!!!!!!

jasdeking
QLD, 1820 posts
9 Apr 2011 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

floaties

rps
VIC, 605 posts
9 Apr 2011 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

My folks bought our first beach shack at Phillip Is in 1961.

1969, I was 7 yrs old and like Sparxy, had a purple Wavetight. Loved it!

We also had a beautiful wooden paddleboard!! Hollow, varnished, big boxy rails made by.

We had a matching timber paddle and yes......we used to stand up on it and paddle it SUP style.

My old man also built this classic glass-bottomed board/dinghy that we spearfished from.

Ahhh, those were the days.

Leroy13
VIC, 1174 posts
9 Apr 2011 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

By the way Sparx you have no right to surf as well as you do!!. You'd think you'd know better by now. My family used to use the purple wave tight in the snow. Hey maybe my cousin and I invented snowboarding???LOL

O yeah, Col Smith's Back hand RADICAL reentrys were life changing.[}:)]

ALsUP
VIC, 99 posts
9 Apr 2011 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

This is my first board. A foamy circa 1966.

This is my older brother on a board my dad made.
Which funnily is similar in shape and colour to the board I ride now, the Fanatic Fly Race.

Early seventies I moved up to a Wavetight.
I remember the day it flew off the roof of the car on the way to Inverloch.
Only had a few superficial scratches.

ockanui
VIC, 1299 posts
9 Apr 2011 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Lorne, summer 69/70 lots of MGB's and kombi's, music blaring on the beach via the surf club radio/soundsystem, Sharkie the local beach old bloke spraying coconut oil and renting out black rubber surfo's, us grommets chatting up chicks or offering 20 cents each for petrol to the older local surfers with drivers licences so we could get a lift down the coast for a surf, this is a photo of yours truly at Cathedral circa 69/70, a mate just sent it a few months ago, a blast from the past, not like these days where there would be lots of digital photos posted on facebook!.
your right RPS they were pretty cool days

Leroy13
VIC, 1174 posts
9 Apr 2011 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

Maaaaaate, great shot! What a legend sharkie was. Isn't Cathedral a secret anymore?? You weren't mates with Moose, Wicky and that crew by any chance?(idols of mine!)

rps
VIC, 605 posts
9 Apr 2011 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Ock, great shot, great wave!!

Oh and by the way, you still look the same!

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
9 Apr 2011 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

ockanui said...

Lorne, summer 69/70 lots of MGB's and kombi's, music blaring on the beach via the surf club radio/soundsystem, Sharkie the local beach old bloke spraying coconut oil and renting out black rubber surfo's, us grommets chatting up chicks or offering 20 cents each for petrol to the older local surfers with drivers licences so we could get a lift down the coast for a surf, this is a photo of yours truly at Cathedral circa 69/70, a mate just sent it a few months ago, a blast from the past, not like these days where there would be lots of digital photos posted on facebook!.
your right RPS they were pretty cool days

Great photograph as they would say back in the day,really enjoyed your post

ockanui
VIC, 1299 posts
9 Apr 2011 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

moose, shorty, wicky, sticky, gavin,rocket and critty, they all had cars so we piled into the back of them and hurtled down the coast, no one went slow in those days, stop of at the Apollo bay bakery, only place open and only place there! grab a pint of milk and some fresh bread and that was it for the day, probably by then everyone would be stoned and we get great surf, often though the journey there was equal to the day's fun,
rps, lost the bleached hair, bummer

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
9 Apr 2011 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

rps said...

My folks bought our first beach shack at Phillip Is in 1961.

1969, I was 7 yrs old and like Sparxy, had a purple Wavetight. Loved it!

We also had a beautiful wooden paddleboard!! Hollow, varnished, big boxy rails made by.

We had a matching timber paddle and yes......we used to stand up on it and paddle it SUP style.

My old man also built this classic glass-bottomed board/dinghy that we spearfished from.

Ahhh, those were the days.

So you were 30 years ahead of Laird and Dave.

Piros
QLD, 6936 posts
9 Apr 2011 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

What a great photo

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
9 Apr 2011 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

G'day Breezes
This was my dads board he scored it for $2.00 dollars in the early 60's it's a 1959 model shaped By Gordon Woods. I started riding it around 1969 when I was 8yo I could HANG TEN on this board in my teenage years when I was 10 stone dripping wet I can still remember this 2 foot right hand bank into the shark tower hanging ten at Red Head beach in Newcastle I will sell this board for 10 thousand dollars. Its 52 years old it would look good in a museum!

I ride this 1959 Model 9'6'' Gordon Woods I purchased in 1984 for $50 dollars I offered him $20 dollars (too funny) I make an effort to ride this board one day a year! (Reminisce) My favourite manoeuvrer is the SOUL ARCH as I enjoy hanging ten that much I always nose dive because I alway forget to run back in a hurry.

taranakiter
35 posts
9 Apr 2011 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

11 yrs old more into Tarzan at the time, trees, knives, hatchets, spears and the bush but was on a farm miles from nowhere. Lucky that i was only 3 miles from the sea and later to discover several left points . 1969 was when i saw a man on the moon and believed. TV before that was Huckleberry Hound, Magilla the Gorilla, Ricochet Rabbit but there are lucids of Waimea Wipeouts and my heros spiking up massive Thuyas and Pseudosugas (trees again) and cutting the tops out using big old saws, hand and machine. Have an arboriculture bent ?! Do remember using my skim board as a bodyboard and catching peeling waves but not happy with plywood wounds. Now love the energy efficiency of sup out this morn on t 9hokua cant go back to the hands except for small breaks of dejavu.

russh
SA, 3025 posts
9 Apr 2011 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

A malvern star dragster with full height sissy bar banana seat and dual front carrier headlights with a three speed centre shift derailer gears. Got my first home shaped 7"4 single in around 1974

Sparx
VIC, 734 posts
9 Apr 2011 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Maaaaaate !
The Malvern Star Dragstar became redundant when they brought out the Chopper, which was, as I recall, about the same time Chrysler brought out the Valiant Charger and the West Gate Bridge fell into the Yarra!
Cheers
Sparx

sepirott
NSW, 336 posts
9 Apr 2011 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Piros said...

towball said...

LOL

Mac we used plywood decks with a set of Nipper Gayrads on the front and steel roller skate wheels on the back , sparks used to fly out the back as we took the final turn at Kings Carpark in Surfers.

Oh yeah Robbie, we used to hit Kings as well with our home made skateboards in the day. Schweet memories.......

Downwinder
QLD, 2015 posts
9 Apr 2011 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

I got a malvern star dragster in 1972 I was in orr I thought all my christmasses all came at once (I felt like the king of Redheads) my father made me wash this bike like a car had to use a tooth bush to wash the spokes _ _ _ c##T

snappy
NSW, 66 posts
9 Apr 2011 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

I was thirteen going to Whitebridge high in the same class as Col Smith.
I was riding a Narm Surfoplane at Merewether Beach on the weekends after swimming club.The family car was a 1962 beetle in which our family of 5 went to
the Gold Coast for holidays every september.

robdog
VIC, 611 posts
9 Apr 2011 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

George Rice Tracker 8 foot.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"What were you riding in 1969?" started by towball