Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

What were you riding in 1969?

Created by towball > 9 months ago, 9 Apr 2011
Downwinder
QLD, 2030 posts
9 Apr 2011 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Snappy
I remember seeing Col Smith standing on the beach all the time ( I didn't know who he was at the time till 1976) while I was surfing my 4'6'' Midget Farrelly pop-out 4pm in the afternoon after school. Then Col Smith would paddle out and blow the s##t out of the lefts on little beach Red head. The last time I saw Cil Smith and had a chat with him was on a Friday in pissing down rain in 1985 at the Newcastle City Pro

russh
SA, 3025 posts
9 Apr 2011 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

Sparx said...

Maaaaaate !
The Malvern Star Dragstar became redundant when they brought out the Chopper, which was, as I recall, about the same time Chrysler brought out the Valiant Charger and the West Gate Bridge fell into the Yarra!
Cheers
Sparx

By 1971 it was extended forks, 26" front whee land a pair of cow horns - no chopper for me!!!

Sparx
VIC, 734 posts
9 Apr 2011 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

robdog said...

George Rice Tracker 8 foot.

Robdog
In terms of "I wish I still had it " collectable, desirable, "I'd give my left nut to still have it", you just trashed my seven foot Lynchy Ripcurl round pin circa 73, incidentaly, traded for a Pat Morgan twin wood keel fish, incidentaly, stolen from outside my tent in the Anglesea foreshore cara park, 1974.
Cheers
Sparx

Piros
QLD, 6993 posts
9 Apr 2011 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

Love this thread , here's one of my hero's when I was a grom "Nat Young" circa: pre leg rope

Sparx
VIC, 734 posts
9 Apr 2011 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Piros
You have no idea how many times I have watched that particular piece of footage along with the Echos segment of Chrystal Voyager, in various degrees of herbal enchantment. Dont get me started on the faces in the clouds!!!! And where can I get me one of those half way up the back, long sleeve vests. Makes the current beavertail revival look so yesterday!!!
Cheers
Sparx

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
9 Apr 2011 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

foamie, but i did get a wavetight about 2 or so years later- red one. actually brought a fin, filed it, not much as i'm pretty young. got as itchie as hell. got a tin of resin, too much hardener-went up in smoke. anyway i got it in the centre slot and found it to be useless as it weighted a ton and the tail sank. as if they weren't heavy enough to start with.
it was so exiting to have something that resembled a real board, but the reality was they were awful.

ah,the memories as kid having a go at building stuff or making your own.

Sparx
VIC, 734 posts
9 Apr 2011 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

Did you ever start a fire in the old mans shed with a hot mix on your first or second ding fix attempt???
I did !!!
Cheers
Sparx

Piros
QLD, 6993 posts
10 Apr 2011 12:29AM
Thumbs Up

Sparx said...

Maaaaaate !
The Malvern Star Dragstar became redundant when they brought out the Chopper, which was, as I recall, about the same time Chrysler brought out the Valiant Charger and the West Gate Bridge fell into the Yarra!
Cheers
Sparx

Sparx
Mate forget the chopper I had a burnt orange Fireball .The Mopar of cycles , 3 speed sraight shift with playing cards pegged on the forks to give the V8 sound.

Re: The hot mix very funny I used to pour in the catalyst like cordial...LOL .
Re: Movies got a very old Drouyn movie , I'll try and upload...it's a classic.

Piros
QLD, 6993 posts
10 Apr 2011 12:43AM
Thumbs Up

While we are on the subject of Legends check out this trailer of Michael Peterson.

www.thesurfnetwork.com/detail/616840b315b4fab751861d070f423ebf34b172849fc800d5/movie

DavidJohn
VIC, 17457 posts
10 Apr 2011 1:12AM
Thumbs Up

I was about 13 yrs old and riding one of these.

DJ

oliver
3952 posts
10 Apr 2011 12:28AM
Thumbs Up

I had a yellow trax skateboard in the 70's. I saw one in a shop in Collingwood last week for sale for $150

Piros
QLD, 6993 posts
10 Apr 2011 2:33AM
Thumbs Up

oliver said...

I had a yellow trax skateboard in the 70's.

Nice Oliver do you still have it ?

robdog
VIC, 611 posts
10 Apr 2011 7:08AM
Thumbs Up

Piros said...

Love this thread , here's one of my hero's when I was a grom "Nat Young" circa: pre leg rope

Love that section. Watched it a million times over the years. Thanks for posting.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17457 posts
10 Apr 2011 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

Aaar yes.. the old pre Croc days..

DJ

towball
4627 posts
10 Apr 2011 8:02AM
Thumbs Up

Kool DJ looking a bit over loaded on the front axle lol

DavidJohn said...

Aaar yes.. the old pre Croc days..

DJ

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
10 Apr 2011 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

Is that really you DJ,cool photo and that board was a perfect fit for you to carry around,don't know how you could ride it

DavidJohn
VIC, 17457 posts
10 Apr 2011 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

Is that really you DJ,cool photo and that board was a perfect fit for you to carry around,don't know how you could ride it

Naaar.. Tis a cool pic tho.. .. This is really me.. BTSC..

DJ

rodriguez
VIC, 883 posts
10 Apr 2011 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

7-2 Pat Morgan pintail,oh how i loved that board some bastard stole it.

Leroy13
VIC, 1174 posts
10 Apr 2011 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

It was probably Foxy if you were in Torquay early to mid seventies. I had to go and retrieve my Wetsuit every two weeks or so. He was that out of it, he even used to knock off his own gear and sell it. By the way Robdog. I think it was a very young Strapper that was shaping the twin keeled Fish. One of the best boards that I ever owned. Unfortunately I was unlucky enough to get one of the dud blanks that were going around then. Strapper refused to replace or fix it. Patty Morgan had sold the business to him and was managing the Rip curl Shop at that point. I told him the story and he sold me a custom at half price. Loved Patty, not so sure about Strapper.

rodriguez
VIC, 883 posts
10 Apr 2011 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

It was pinched in Lorne,left it with my crewe while i went to the toilet,came back they were all in surfing and my shooter was no where to be seen.

Leroy13
VIC, 1174 posts
10 Apr 2011 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Oh well it's gotta be Ockanui then!! He sold it for twenty cents to pay Moose to go down south in his Beetle!! I should have been a dicktective!(sic)

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
10 Apr 2011 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

Think I was driving round in my dad's fiat 500 with some sort of heavy plank on top.Much rather be surfing my PSH 9'6 ripper like today.....pic taken by towball at a sheltered surf break called "the rock" halfway between Sponge Bay & "the island"

ockanui
VIC, 1300 posts
10 Apr 2011 12:55PM
Thumbs Up

I dunno, man er the board um was just ah left there man, um er dunno um what to say er um... sorry

Downwinder
QLD, 2030 posts
10 Apr 2011 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

oliver said...

I had a yellow trax skateboard in the 70's. I saw one in a shop in Collingwood last week for sale for $150

My fovourite skateboard was a SurferSam with Chicago Trucks 1974/75 criteria
Pulling into a nice little concrete tube. Without talking it up I was very good on a skateboard could do all the tricks. But my mum would spew because I would go through a pair of sandshoes every 4 weeks and put big holes in the arse of my jeans from doing the Burt e.g. Larry Burtleman cutback. Even got Russ Howll autograph Russ was the best Skateboarder in America in the 70's

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
10 Apr 2011 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

sorry to burst your bubble Iron, but Russ Howel was a trickster with no flow or style....Dogtown and Z boys had him beat!

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
10 Apr 2011 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

I was riding around in my dads ballsack

Downwinder
QLD, 2030 posts
10 Apr 2011 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

husq2100 said...

sorry to burst your bubble Iron, but Russ Howel was a trickster with no flow or style....Dogtown and Z boys had him beat!

Yep Dogtown and Z boys is a CLASSIC MOVIE just like BIG WEDNESDAY.
Sorry to say husq2100 but Russ Howell IS THE LEGEND the guys from Dog town where at least 20 years younger than Russ. in the 70's Russ was a 40yo grommet!
I'd love to have a go on my old skateboard to reminisce but I recon I'd break my neck

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
10 Apr 2011 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

Downwinder said...

husq2100 said...

Yep Dogtown and Z boys is a CLASSIC MOVIE just like BIG WEDNESDAY.
Sorry to say husq2100 but Russ Howell IS THE LEGEND the guys from Dog town where at least 20 years younger than Russ. in the 70's Russ was a 40yo grommet!
I'd love to have a go on my old skateboard to reminisce but I recon I'd break my neck

Id say Russ was the pioneer of freestyle skating which alot here wouldnt know exsisted. Google Rodney Mullen....probably one of the most wining sports people EVER.....he came 2nd......ONCE! up their with big Dave Foster. Russ was a bit robotic for my liking but very skilled. Once those Z boys arrived it changed the style forever....fast, powerfull and then......vertical. they soon passed the crown onto the vert guys of the early 80's.

I got back into skating in the early 2000's after reading Hawks book. had a ball but gave it up. you either cant stop doing it or have to give it up.....concrete and steel coping hurts

Russ isnt the only older guy showing the 20 somethings how its done hey Phil

Downwinder
QLD, 2030 posts
10 Apr 2011 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

G'day hasq2100
Yep you're right I still ride a skateboard to this day. I ride a 36" inch Smooth Star its the best Skateboard for cross training. I ride the Smooth Star for 10 kilometres the go for a run for 10 kilometres best workout ever. www.smoothstar.com/
This one time I was Skateboarding down Hedges Ave and this little 10yo grommet yells out forever young I nearly fell of the skateboard form laughing (too funny)

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"What were you riding in 1969?" started by towball