Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Woogies' 572 race board- new mods.

Created by stuey c > 9 months ago, 20 Oct 2008
stuey c
QLD, 265 posts
20 Oct 2008 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

Latest Penetrator 572 features deeper deck concave to lower riders centre of gravity, vents to release excess water that may be trapped by deeper concave and new steering system operated via small deck peddle. Steering still needs some minor tweeking but works well. This is the board Woogie and Danny Sheard will paddle in the Gold Coast Seaway to Seaway race.

oliver
3952 posts
20 Oct 2008 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a winning machine to me. Love the steering system - it seems so simple!

stuey c
QLD, 265 posts
20 Oct 2008 10:42PM
Thumbs Up

oliver said...

Looks like a winning machine to me. Love the steering system - it seems so simple!

Thanks Oliver, Woogie was giving me some lessons on it today which was great fun. Like I've said before I'm a total beginner yet even I could use the new steering!

oliver
3952 posts
20 Oct 2008 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

vents to release excess water that may be trapped by deeper concave

With regards to water getting in. It seems the only way water could get in is via the vents and the steering system. How beneficial is the steering system in racing and is the purpose of the steering system only used to offset cross wind and or currents?

DavidJohn
VIC, 17434 posts
21 Oct 2008 12:03AM
Thumbs Up

Very nice Stuey.. Thanks for posting the pictures.. I love the Spitfire wing shaped fin.

DJ

stuey c
QLD, 265 posts
20 Oct 2008 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

oliver said...

With regards to water getting in. It seems the only way water could get in is via the vents and the steering system. How beneficial is the steering system in racing and is the purpose of the steering system only used to offset cross wind and or currents?

The vents are those channels running off the tail and their intent was that these coupled with your forward motion would help release any water that may end up on the deck from normal use, you know, chop splashing up, run off from your paddle etc. As for the system itself, it has to be a "wet system", a small amount of water will always get in but this is released through drain holes angled aft on both the peddle mechanism and the rudder post housing, these exit through the bottom of the board........

stuey c
QLD, 265 posts
20 Oct 2008 11:30PM
Thumbs Up

stuey c said...

oliver said...

The vents are those channels running off the tail and their intent was that these coupled with your forward motion would help release any water that may end up on the deck from normal use, you know, chop splashing up, run off from your paddle etc. As for the system itself, it has to be a "wet system", a small amount of water will always get in but this is released through drain holes angled aft on both the peddle mechanism and the rudder post housing, these exit through the bottom of the board........

The board as shown by the last one definetly works with just a fixed fin and is way easier to make however when going across wind and swell the steering is used to make adjustments to your line and allows you to paddle on both sides as opposed to just the one. When going downwind or surfing a runner it's ridden like a surfboard and the steering is virtually never used.

stuey c
QLD, 265 posts
20 Oct 2008 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

Very nice Stuey.. Thanks for posting the pictures.. I love the Spitfire wing shaped fin.

DJ

Cheers Dave, I didn't really reference anything when I drew up the rudder but a Spitfire wing is definetly what I got!

Clarky
QLD, 290 posts
21 Oct 2008 7:15AM
Thumbs Up

Looks great Stuey, do you know how much it weighs. I would patent the steering system if I was you, it seems to be one of the better ideas.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Woogies' 572 race board- new mods." started by stuey c