QLD, 166 posts
13 Jul 2011 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

No red thumbs for me!!!

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
13 Jul 2011 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

I haven't yet read a compelling argument as to why red thumbers should be allowed to remain anonymous so assume that the vast majority of those in favour of a return to red thumbs are quite happy to be identified. It just seems to be the best way to deal with the childish teasing and the industry based nonsense. And if people are still traumatised by receiving red thumbs, perhaps Laurie could provide an option where you can remove the thumbs from your feed of Seabreeze.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
13 Jul 2011 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
perhaps Laurie could provide an option where you can remove the thumbs from your feed of Seabreeze.

umm, just one more thing. i think i would rather have all my teeth pulled out with a pair of pliers than do that

Scotty88
4214 posts
13 Jul 2011 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

poor relative said...

PTWoody said...
If they are so meaningless, why are you so eager to bring them back?

I've been around here longer than most i've seen the way the site has developed.
+ing or -ing posts was the next logical step
What i think doesn't matter really.

May i suggest that perhaps the 5 posters who have posted the most on the SUP forum be asked their opinion - DJ has been noticeably absent from these threads - then they make the red thumb decision?

I'd like to see red brought back if not then get rid of thumbs all together.

It does'nt surprise me that DJ has'nt posted anything on this subject. The same reason I won't give it any air time. Now back to SUPing.

adolf
1862 posts
13 Jul 2011 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

PTWoody said...

I haven't yet read a compelling argument as to why red thumbers should be allowed to remain anonymous so assume that the vast majority of those in favour of a return to red thumbs are quite happy to be identified. It just seems to be the best way to deal with the childish teasing and the industry based nonsense. And if people are still traumatised by receiving red thumbs, perhaps Laurie could provide an option where you can remove the thumbs from your feed of Seabreeze.

I agree with you Paul Harrison

of 14 Memory Drive Ringwood 3245

Telephone 0407865332

When were you going on holidays again?

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
13 Jul 2011 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

adolf said...

PTWoody said...

I agree with you Paul Harrison

of 14 Memory Drive Ringwood 3245

Telephone 0407865332

When were you going on holidays again?

Ha! You didn't realise that I used a fake address. That block is vacant.

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
13 Jul 2011 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Get rid of the thumbs all together across the whole site.

Like Poor Reli and many other Seabreeze users, I have been here a long time and as soon as the thumbs turned up everything went all funky and sour and I'm guilty of that myself.

Back in the day it use to be a wind and kite forum. Everyone knew everyone. Gee we use to post some crap on this forum and we all had a laugh. My best mates today are people I have met here on Seabreeze.

If we are here now talking about thumbs then it obviously is a problem.

Get rid of them

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
13 Jul 2011 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

if we have green , then we must have red.... its a balance.

maybe one green should wipe out a red ? and visa versa ?

is that technically possible Laurie?

Makaha
1145 posts
13 Jul 2011 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Scotty88 said...

poor relative said...

PTWoody said...
If they are so meaningless, why are you so eager to bring them back?

I've been around here longer than most i've seen the way the site has developed.
+ing or -ing posts was the next logical step
What i think doesn't matter really.

May i suggest that perhaps the 5 posters who have posted the most on the SUP forum be asked their opinion - DJ has been noticeably absent from these threads - then they make the red thumb decision?

I'd like to see red brought back if not then get rid of thumbs all together.

It does'nt surprise me that DJ has'nt posted anything on this subject. The same reason I won't give it any air time. Now back to SUPing.

But do you really need to speak for him?

Adapt
QLD, 723 posts
13 Jul 2011 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

Hahahahahahahaha!

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
13 Jul 2011 11:29PM
Thumbs Up

all you guys are the best!

p.s. get rid of them.

hilly
WA, 7322 posts
13 Jul 2011 10:38PM
Thumbs Up

Red or green for this????

theDoctor
NSW, 5780 posts
14 Jul 2011 1:52AM
Thumbs Up

bring back the thumbs,

i love the fact i don't have to articulate a retarded response to a retarded arguement about some retarded can hardly dude promoting an equally retarded yet increasingly bone-able sibling being at the cutting edge of some ability when its apparent to all that the reason this edge is cutting is cause there is no-one else there cutting at the present to fill the void and the promoter has simply pimped out.

also following some sponsorsed posts about how they were killing it down the coast chasing some swell, when reality was they could hardly stand up right between sets and couldn't even catch waves when it was mild to say the least, and would be more suited to selling some dream to their cashed up can hardlies in worranora pond on a sunday, wanking on how they kill it in the over head tubes that mere mortal paddle surfers were yet to even contemplate...

cause 'they own it'

I don't wanna thumb you, I wanna video you as you talk about how the litres in your boards make it so you're able to rip and then film you unsteady falling as you try and paddle into the girly waves and get bumped by the 5knot chop and bail as a head high rolling set causes you to sh it a brick...

but I'd rather just save my time time and thumb you're self indulgent ass

P.S, I probably get the most red thumbs and deleted posts on this retarded forum so as if I'd care what king loz does

ockanui
VIC, 1300 posts
14 Jul 2011 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

In the age of economic rationalism where savings to overall expenditure is a fact of life, interesting to read "thumbs" and the administration of such has a dollar value, any financial controller would look at this Service and suggest " due to current economic circumstances and budgetary constraints this service will no longer be available".....

Gorgo
VIC, 4982 posts
14 Jul 2011 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

Either no thumbs, or both red and green thumbs.

Put a limit on the number of red thumbs a person can give to a single person. Other forums work on your ratio of green to red thumbs over time.

Thumbs need to be on the post because it is a popularity poll on the topic, not the person.

Thumbs need to be anonymous to avoid vengeful attacks from bad tempered recipients (as can be seen in this thread and every other time a red thumb appears).

Thumbs are pretty good because you can applaud a good post or blow a raspberry at a crappy post without wasting your life writing well considered arguments dealing with the pros and cons of the subject and the sensitivity of the recipient ... only to cop a blast because the poster was pissed at the time and typing drivel.

A red thumb has to be less offensive than a detailed diatribe on the shortcomings of the poster.

You need red and green because when we had only green somebody would post something incredibly bad (racist, sexist, homophobic, SUPophobic) and it would get a bunch of green thumbs. You can't red thumb it to balance it out and we end up looking like red-necks.

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
14 Jul 2011 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

Reading the replies to the topic its clear,both or none.

aus301
QLD, 2039 posts
14 Jul 2011 12:31PM
Thumbs Up

matt18 said...

nothing to do with this but a good laugh

there is a version read by Samuel L Jackson... Funny!!!

CMC
QLD, 3954 posts
14 Jul 2011 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

Or is it none or both but be able to see who clicked what?

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
14 Jul 2011 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

hilly said...

Red or green for this????

Thats nuts Hilly, green for that!!

Tryfan
QLD, 256 posts
14 Jul 2011 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

Thumbing...tried it once and didn't like it.

Back to Laird at Hanelei Bay...

theDoctor
NSW, 5780 posts
14 Jul 2011 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

theDoctor said...

wow, did I just say I'd rather thumb someones ass....

dear god its' happening again!!!!!!!!

CMC
QLD, 3954 posts
14 Jul 2011 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

theDoctor said...

theDoctor said...

wow, did I just say I'd rather thumb someones ass....

dear god its' happening again!!!!!!!!

You're a Doctor it's OK.

Here's a joke. A Doctor was examining Franks prostate. When he had his finger up his butt doing the examination he says 'it's perfectly natural to have an erection during this examination' Frank says 'But I don't' the Doctor says. 'I do'.

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
14 Jul 2011 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

CMC said...

62mac said...

Whatever I red thumb all of Lacey's posts anyway,doggie well all the time and don't forget Billboard

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
14 Jul 2011 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

CMC said...

62mac said...

Whatever I red thumb all of Lacey's posts anyway,doggie well all the time and don't forget Billboard

laurie, the guys that want red thumbs, well give them their own personal red thumb clickie thingy. then we can red thumb them to their hearts content.

weird bunch, but if they want to get red thumbed who are we to stop them

or do they just like handing them out- i suspect the later
cheers

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
14 Jul 2011 1:02PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

CMC said...

62mac said...

Yes I know, Ive got an app on my iPhone that tells me who is doing it its ok, I know you are only mucking about mac

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
14 Jul 2011 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

Perhaps it was because being a kiwi & sometimes distracted by nearby sheep....but I must confess it was probably months after encountering seabbreeze that I even noticed "the thumbs". Don't think there is any need for the red thumbs myself.
Do casually wonder if the "want red thumbs" camp are the Sup equivalent of football hooligans.
Is it the younger supsters who want to kick & bash other supsters or are older breezers also keen on the red ???

Ericson
WA, 111 posts
14 Jul 2011 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

theDoctor said...

bring back the thumbs,

i love the fact i don't have to articulate a retarded response to a retarded arguement about some retarded can hardly dude promoting an equally retarded yet increasingly bone-able sibling being at the cutting edge of some ability when its apparent to all that the reason this edge is cutting is cause there is no-one else there cutting at the present to fill the void and the promoter has simply pimped out.

also following some sponsorsed posts about how they were killing it down the coast chasing some swell, when reality was they could hardly stand up right between sets and couldn't even catch waves when it was mild to say the least, and would be more suited to selling some dream to their cashed up can hardlies in worranora pond on a sunday, wanking on how they kill it in the over head tubes that mere mortal paddle surfers were yet to even contemplate...

cause 'they own it'

I don't wanna thumb you, I wanna video you as you talk about how the litres in your boards make it so you're able to rip and then film you unsteady falling as you try and paddle into the girly waves and get bumped by the 5knot chop and bail as a head high rolling set causes you to sh it a brick...

P.S, I probably get the most red thumbs and deleted posts on this retarded forum so as if I'd care what king loz does

Doctor, whenever I see something in these forums that makes me realise why every other surf-rider hates us suppers and I am wondering how to say it, you articulate it the the most succinct and cutting way that I need say no more.

Having said that, I didn't even know there were thumbs... up or down.

standupper
387 posts
14 Jul 2011 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

After reading all the posts so far on this topic I have changed my mind about identifying the red thumbers.

If red thumbs were no longer anonymous it would just place even more emphasis on them and cause more problems.

This forum is not about red or green thumbs, its about SUP so why do we need them.

I got frustrated in the past when I saw someone who had taken the time to review a product getting red thumbed for their opinion. If the thumbers didn't like the product themselves then wouldn't it be better to let other forum users know why they felt this way and give a broader point of view?
And even worse when people were posting about events or sharing photos of a session getting red thumbed.

Dont need red thumbs - let them rest in peace and get on with it!

Makaha
1145 posts
14 Jul 2011 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

OK another day comes to an end and this topic is still headlines.

Do you think some people post red thumbs because they are jealous
of others?

adolf
1862 posts
14 Jul 2011 11:51PM
Thumbs Up

I was just thinking about this silly topic.

Scott88's sexist post earlier inspired me.

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Best-sort-female-SUPer/

I thought if no one is going to respond to his post, Scott88's feelings may get hurt.

What if Laurie organized automatic replies to these dead topics, that no one can be bothered with or cares about.

If Laurie could auto submit random computer generated reply's to it: ie

* that's cool dude
* hang loose
* you've got it going dude
* right on dude
* sounds cool brother
* etc

Maybe there wouldn't be any need for thumbs at all?

Here's some examples of how it may work in practice:

Laceys Lane said...

I've got a new 37 fin set up, I've moved the 34th fin forward about 2cm - it's working really good

Automatic Reply said:

right on dude

PT Woody said...

This weekend we are having a KIAOLA, WERNER, NAISH, SEABREEZE, RPS, STARBOARD, CORBEAN, SUPLOVE, BURNING MAN,DICK STROKING race to some pylon out at sea that's not really a race - but just something that I can stick all the sponsors names too and so I can tell marine victoria that it is totally safe.

Automatic Reply said:

sounds cool brother

adof said...

Since giving up the cigies I've been drinking and eating far too much. I'm worried if I keep going at this rate I'll end up like the Hindenburg.

Automatic Reply said:

hang loose goose

Win Win !

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Your Vote: The Thumbs! :-)" started by laurie