Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

buying over 12'6 waste of money or not

Created by scotty100 > 9 months ago, 6 Jan 2010
scotty100
QLD, 233 posts
6 Jan 2010 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

just seen race description for king of coast, on sunshine coast and only sup class is 12'6 and under, or you race in open class against craft that go twice as fast like surf club ski's and outriggers. after having a coversation with someone else yesterday he also mentioned at coffs they were talking about only really having races with sup at 12'6 and under in the future. does any one have any input or info on this subject and after just buying a 14' naish and 2 others i know have just bought the same whats the point of racing them in full open class against something we can not compete against, or have i misenterpreted the race guides

paul.j
QLD, 3341 posts
6 Jan 2010 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

I dont think you need to worry my gut feeling is 14ft class will be the main event in all races soon. Doing the coffs race on 12'6 boards only is stupid and at this years event there was 1 or maybe 2 12'6 boards there all the rest were 14 or unlimited.

The perth race i'm guessing there are not too many 14's and unlimited boards there which is why they went for the safe bet. Once those guys get some of these bigger boards there with the wind they get they wont touch the 12'6 boards.

To me 14 is the best of both world as its good in the runners and theres enough
board that the big guys are at no disadvantage in the flat water as well..

12'6 should be manily Amature division.

Jacko

mikeman
QLD, 692 posts
6 Jan 2010 3:25PM
Thumbs Up

I have just asked the same question in the "king of the coast" thread.

It looks like they are also adopting the same policy for "the doctor" race in WA.

Using an unlimited board in open sea conditions is the way to go for me and I won't be getting a 12'6" for any of these races. I would like to do as many of these races as I can but am a little less enthusiastic about them with this current policy.

kiakaha
QLD, 472 posts
6 Jan 2010 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

scotty100 said...

just seen race description for king of coast, on sunshine coast and only sup class is 12'6 and under, or you race in open class against craft that go twice as fast like surf club ski's and outriggers. after having a coversation with someone else yesterday he also mentioned at coffs they were talking about only really having races with sup at 12'6 and under in the future. does any one have any input or info on this subject and after just buying a 14' naish and 2 others i know have just bought the same whats the point of racing them in full open class against something we can not compete against, or have i misenterpreted the race guides

They will be making the change on the website.

All SUPs can race, but they only have the finance to deal with one division. If they get good numbers things might change.

My view is make it unlimited as if you want to ride the fastest SUP then that should be your choice.

Do we limit ski length ? No.

Do we limit OC1 length? No

Should we limit SUP's? No.

If we can get quite a few "SUPPERS" in this race it then opens the doors for sponsorship from many surf shops etc etc

Billabong would be a great start.

The way things are going in the US suppers out number skis so what is in store for the future....

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
6 Jan 2010 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

The sport is still growing , just look at the commitment from Surftech and Naish they have invested big money into 14 & 17 ft boards , those big boards are here to stay.

Organisers may struggle to feild all 3 race classes here in Aus but as the numbers swell so will the prizemoney.

Rob

P co
WA, 457 posts
6 Jan 2010 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

I believe that all sizes can contest the Doctor race and legitimately win. Auswind/Starboard have just added a further prize open to anyone on a board less than 12' or 12'6"( I'm not certain which). Good way to encourage the average dude who perhaps has this size or smaller but may have felt undergunned and less likely to compete.

pete joseph
NSW, 73 posts
6 Jan 2010 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

Having just purchasing a 17ft i feel the same. The sport is still young we need some structure. Do we start our own organisation,or chime in with AOCRA. There are many kinks we have to iron out. But a start might be 12'6 for short races and 14 and 17s for long downwinders or even both categories in the same race different distances

camo hosk
VIC, 613 posts
6 Jan 2010 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

The 12'6" sup class seems to be getting strong in the US ,and going by what happens in a lot of sports the manufacturers will cater to the biggest market and the size classes then tend to follow.
May be different over here though if the numbers are right,guess we'll wait and see,

Cheers.

paul.j
QLD, 3341 posts
6 Jan 2010 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

With about 20 Naish 17 boards out there and who knows how many 14's and that's just Naish by the time you put all the bigger penetrator's, DC's, starboards and the few others, there are already enough to get some good racing. You can understand why Starboard put the money in the 12'6 class with them not having larger race boards at the moment, and fair enough it's there money.

Jacko

paul.j
QLD, 3341 posts
6 Jan 2010 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

camo hosk said...

The 12'6" sup class seems to be getting strong in the US ,and going by what happens in a lot of sports the manufacturers will cater to the biggest market and the size classes then tend to follow.
May be different over here though if the numbers are right,guess we'll wait and see,

Cheers.

You are right the 12'6 class is big over there but they mainly race flat water where as most of the races here are in the ocean. As far as i read 12'6 does not really exist in Hawaii either.

I would put money on the 14ft class if i had any.

Jacko

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
6 Jan 2010 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

paul.j said...

camo hosk said...

Cheers.

You are right the 12'6 class is big over there but they mainly race flat water where as most of the races here are in the ocean. As far as i read 12'6 does not really exist in Hawaii either.

I would put money on the 14ft class if i had any.

Jacko

24 k's is a long way for a 12'6

camo hosk
VIC, 613 posts
7 Jan 2010 12:02AM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...

24 k's is a long way for a 12'6

Hey Lacey,
yer there's now way I'd be paddling for 24k's,well maybe if it was over a month,
if the races up there are that distance I'd say the bigger board the better,
are you doing the Doctor race in Perth?

JonathanC
VIC, 1021 posts
7 Jan 2010 12:22AM
Thumbs Up

Funny you should say that Lacey - did a run from Sandy Point to Walkerville (Waratah Bay near Wilson Prom) and back yesterday on my 12'6 Starboard Pin as a bit of a Doctor warm-up. Supposed to be 23k but ended up further on the GPS because of the wind I guess. Last hour on the way over was full on headwind (laughing away thinking how much fun this will be on the way back) then wouldn't you know it swung true south west and it was side on all the way back. Took me 4 hours! Hopefully if we get any sort of breeze it will make the doctor seem easy. But you are right, 24k on a 12'6 is a long way! Interesting, I drank heaps before I left and was fine with just my waist Camel Bak which is 1.2l I think, just ate a tiny pack of sultanas at Walkerville. Not quite sure how much water to take for the Doctor run though, it could be really hot so dehydration will be a real factor if it turns into a slog. Does anyone have any experience with the little Gel energy packs?

Yellow arrow was the wind on the way back, was supposed to have much more west in it...

Walkerville South

Sandy Point - somewhere out there

Fortunately I took a compass reading so I knew which bump on the horizon to head to

Had to come home and have a nanna nap after that one!

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
6 Jan 2010 11:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Jonathon, Is that a standard ipod shuffle or one of those waterproofed ones?

JonathanC
VIC, 1021 posts
7 Jan 2010 12:35AM
Thumbs Up

Its one of the waterproofed ones Scotty, only trouble is I was too stingy to get waterproof headphones! I put it into my waterproof phone pack going in and out through the surf at Sandy Point. I have actually fallen in with regular cheapie headphones and they were fine, just didn't want to risk the ipod ones.

They are great things, my wife has had one for ages for doing laps with, we haven't had any problems with either of them. You can get them locally with warranty, not cheap but I use it heaps and really love having it.

http://www.swimman.com.au/home/

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
6 Jan 2010 11:41PM
Thumbs Up

i've pulled the pin on the doctor, it's a shame.up here i have been finishing 3l over ten k's or so(mainly the paddle runs/ not dw/ers and still running short and it's not good not to have any fluids. the only time i've been to perth i couldn't believe the dry heat, i felt thirsty the whole time. never though i would miss sweating. if the race become a pure paddle, i was thinking about how i could carry more than 3l
cheers

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
6 Jan 2010 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone have any experience with the little Gel energy packs?

i talked to a guy in tri shop and he told me you need to drink fluids with them. also don't have too many or you will get a case of the s###s. told me about a poor lady who had 5 too quickly. i brought one to try, but haven't used it yet. hope that helps a bit
cheers

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
7 Jan 2010 1:32AM
Thumbs Up

Nice pictures Jonathan.. It looks great.

Have you decided yet if you will bring your SIC F14 back from Hawaii after the Molokai.. That would be a great board for that run.

I've used the Gel packs Mt biking and they are easier to get down quick rather than having to chew on a power bar.. plus the chewing effects your breathing.

DJ

cRAZY Canuk
NSW, 2528 posts
7 Jan 2010 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...

i talked to a guy in tri shop and he told me you need to drink fluids with them. also don't have too many or you will get a case of the s###s. told me about a poor lady who had 5 too quickly. i brought one to try, but haven't used it yet. hope that helps a bit
cheers

I use them in mountain bike '- there good but a decent bar is better for sustaining you and both bars and gels should be taken with a couple sips from the camel pack, I use the Double caffine chocolate ones for a "pick-me up" at a later stage in the race.

Back on topic if you where going to make a board to race in Sydney would you go 126 or 14 I know Sam said in my thread the main fleet is going to be 126 but how long would that last as I probably won't have it in the water for the end of the year anyways ( maybe I just to both.....)

wuduku
QLD, 29 posts
7 Jan 2010 10:18AM
Thumbs Up

camo hosk is right on the money there the sport is being backed by sales and thats what is happening in the US and the biggest SUP race is the BOP race of which there is possibly going to be 2 this year coming .The Doctor race is backed by Star board who makes 5 model 12'6 race boards so do the maths on that guys .Distance paddle is just that and its not for everyone ,regardless what length board your on just train harder to manage the distance you wish to compete in .Try paddling Catalina or Molokai on a 12 foot board because thats where this all started .I think its not the board its the paddlers and there preparations for such distance events so find what you can manage and work from there ,if it was easy more people would be doing it so take your time and build yourself a good base and get the right advice before you waste your time and money .Just a small bit of advice i use before jumping into anything .Good luck with the distance paddling ,its good see the growing interest in something that isnt new

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
7 Jan 2010 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...

cheers

Gels/Gu are good for 'pick me ups' - they last about 30-40 mins ( the hit comes within 10 mins). They are also good if you cant or don't like to eat when going hard. You are meant to take one (Gu) every 20-30 mins if you are well into a long endurance event. You DO need to drink consistently though to avoid stomach cramps. A good bar is definitely better (longer lasting). I just find them hard to eat and digest when you are thrashing yourself. You can down a Gel very easily and quickly.

Pop into any good MTB/Road/Tri shop and they can give you a pretty good run down on what might work for you.

mikeman
QLD, 692 posts
7 Jan 2010 12:28PM
Thumbs Up

JonathanC said...
Interesting, I drank heaps before I left and was fine with just my waist Camel Bak which is 1.2l I think, just ate a tiny pack of sultanas at Walkerville. Not quite sure how much water to take for the Doctor run though, it could be really hot so dehydration will be a real factor if it turns into a slog. Does anyone have any experience with the little Gel energy packs?

I always ensure I have enough fluids on board, rather than gels or food, as this is the most critical element to LD paddling. I have settled on a minimum of 1/2 litre per hour with no more than 15 min intervals between drinks. This equates to 125ml per 15 mins. Work out how many mouthfulls you need to drink 125ml and there you have it. So if your paddle took you 4hours you would have ended up with a bit of dehydration, I guess.

As I am around 70kg you may need more/less depending on your body. Rather drink too much than too little.

For me the Endura Eloctrolite mix is the best that I have used. I can go all day on it!

I used to use those small 1.5ltr bum bags but now always use the backpack type ones that have 3lts. They are also have more space for additional safety gear that I like to carry.

Hope that helps...

jed
NSW, 188 posts
7 Jan 2010 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

3 litres of weak lemon cordial does the trick for me.

Back to topic - I can't see how you wouldn''t want a 16 or 17 footer over a 12'6" unless your focus is solely on meeting length criteria for particular race events. If you like to treat it like recreational surfing or SUPing and just to head out to sea and head downwind, get a few runners going, those big unlimited boards are the bomb. Definitely not a waste of money.

mikeman
QLD, 692 posts
7 Jan 2010 3:52PM
Thumbs Up

jed said...

3 litres of weak lemon cordial does the trick for me.

Back to topic - I can't see how you wouldn''t want a 16 or 17 footer over a 12'6" unless your focus is solely on meeting length criteria for particular race events. If you like to treat it like recreational surfing or SUPing and just to head out to sea and head downwind, get a few runners going, those big unlimited boards are the bomb. Definitely not a waste of money.

Couldn't have put it better. I have already had many 100's of Km of fun on my 16 and it has been worth every cent.

JonathanC
VIC, 1021 posts
7 Jan 2010 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

Agree 100% on the big board thing too. It's like a different sport doing open water paddles on a 16' or longer board, actually prefer it to surfing unless waves are really good.

ChrisMcC
NSW, 667 posts
7 Jan 2010 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

As a suggestion to solve the sponsorship problem, perhaps Kellogs Nutri Grain could give SLSA and sponsor sup. They could start putting Stand Up Paddle Collector Cards in the bottom of Nutri Grain packets, am sure there a plety of kids out there who want to put a Dogman, Piros, Jacko and DJ in the spokes of their dragsters and start swapping them ... "give ya a Dogmans, a Secret Agent and a Casso for one DJ?"

tha dogman
NSW, 2912 posts
7 Jan 2010 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

<<<<<<<......lol........lol........

Just Wrong said...

As a suggestion to solve the sponsorship problem, perhaps Kellogs Nutri Grain could give SLSA and sponsor sup. They could start putting Stand Up Paddle Collector Cards in the bottom of Nutri Grain packets, am sure there a plety of kids out there who want to put a Dogman, Piros, Jacko and DJ in the spokes of their dragsters and start swapping them ... "give ya a Dogmans, a Secret Agent and a Casso for one DJ?"

that is not a silly idea......why has nobody thought of that yet

i'll swap my whole gold encrusted limited edition nutri grain sup superstars complete set for the just one DJ card for the spokes of my stock 3 speed shift, lowrider dragster with blue and yellow paramatta handle bar streamers with matching girly wooven handle bar basket....wigggerdy wank front and back.....

that is so Just Right......pure solid gold.....

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
7 Jan 2010 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

JonathanC said...

Agree 100% on the big board thing too. It's like a different sport doing open water paddles on a 16' or longer board, actually prefer it to surfing unless waves are really good.

hey, we did a paddle from talley ck to the alley and back with a sort side /tail-y 10 knot wind home. could not believe the runners and linkups i was getting on a 17 in such a small wind. some of them as good as sunday/monday. try that on a 12'6
cheers

Makaha
1145 posts
7 Jan 2010 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...

JonathanC said...

hey, we did a paddle from talley ck to the alley and back with a sort side /tail-y 10 knot wind home. could not believe the runners and linkups i was getting on a 17 in such a small wind. some of them as good as sunday/monday. try that on a 12'6
cheers

Total waist of money in my book,try surfing something over 12.6 foot

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
7 Jan 2010 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Makaha said...

laceys lane said...

JonathanC said...

cheers

Total waist of money in my book,try surfing something over 12.6 foot

did that yesterday on a 14' good fun

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
8 Jan 2010 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

Hopped of my 9'2 today and rode a 17'er.

Hmmm, I think I'm getting it.....

Summer fun is a 12'Gun, but howling, on shore-crap is where its at with the BIG fella!!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"buying over 12'6 waste of money or not" started by scotty100