Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

chemistry 101

Created by BreezyC > 9 months ago, 8 Feb 2010
BreezyC
NSW, 24 posts
8 Feb 2010 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

Just removed some rail tape now need to remove the glue
already tested unsuccessfully: acetone free nail polish remover, cloudy ammonia and spray and wipe which have successfully stuck the cotton wool to the rail.
So now we need to remove glue and cotton wool. Considering turps or meth but seeking further advice before moving forward. Any ideas.................much appreciated CMC, JJ & PP

MarcusMD
NSW, 60 posts
8 Feb 2010 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

Got any tea tree oil handy? It does most glues, not too sure about metho
M

Makaha
1145 posts
8 Feb 2010 4:18PM
Thumbs Up

Metho's for drinking mate

Th0m0
QLD, 529 posts
8 Feb 2010 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

I use turps to get the last of the wax residue of my surfboards, so it won't damage the board but not sure if it will get the glue off. Worth a try.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
8 Feb 2010 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Try eucalyptus oil.. That might work.

DJ

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
8 Feb 2010 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

This is like asking what is the best thing to use to get bubble gum out of your hair. Many weird and wonderful old wives tales to come.

BreezyC
NSW, 24 posts
8 Feb 2010 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

Makaha said...

Metho's for drinking mate

Too late we've already cracked the Moet mate

BreezyC
NSW, 24 posts
8 Feb 2010 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

Try eucalyptus oil.. That might work.

DJ

Thanks DJ -
Shopping list - eucalyptus oil - check

Th0m0
QLD, 529 posts
8 Feb 2010 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

surf4fun said...

This is like asking what is the best thing to use to get bubble gum out of your hair.

scissors

Bertie
NSW, 1351 posts
8 Feb 2010 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

acetone??

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
8 Feb 2010 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Mate you need to soak as much as you can in Eucalyptus oil. The key is to scrape off as much glue as possible with an old credit card - messy, messy!!

The glue is generally too thick for most things to penetrate.

Once scraped Acetone or the Eucalyptus oil will work much better.

A role of paper towels and lots of newspaper make the job easier.

Kids love this job but make it ten times worse!

AA

Tryfan
QLD, 256 posts
8 Feb 2010 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

Mr Miyagi's Wax Off, followed by quick wipe with Metho. Some oils will leave residue.

BreezyC
NSW, 24 posts
8 Feb 2010 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

AA said...

Mate you need to soak as much as you can in Eucalyptus oil. The key is to scrape off as much glue as possible with an old credit card - messy, messy!!

The glue is generally too thick for most things to penetrate.

Once scraped Acetone or the Eucalyptus oil will work much better.

A role of paper towels and lots of newspaper make the job easier.

Kids love this job but make it ten times worse!

AA

Thanks AA....currently all credit cards are in use and we're TINKS (Triple Income No Kids)

PS We will get back to you with the results

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
8 Feb 2010 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

i'm not a fan of turps. can make a oily mess with the glue. metho for the final wipe is good. also tastes much better with a bit of orange juice for those days when you run out of________, i mean metho's just better for the job

BreezyC
NSW, 24 posts
8 Feb 2010 10:38PM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...

i'm not a fan of turps. can make a oily mess with the glue. metho for the final wipe is good. also tastes much better with a bit of orange juice for those days when you run out of________, i mean metho's just better for the job

Thanks for tip.

Update on Shopping List:
Eucalyptus Oil - check
Metho - check
Orange Juice - check

We will report back with results of above.

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
8 Feb 2010 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

So what tastes better

blueseven
QLD, 59 posts
8 Feb 2010 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

try a product called "solvit- citrus clean"can't rave about it enough,works a treat
removing glue residue from old stickers and pin stripes on boats so should work here.

AA
NSW, 2159 posts
9 Feb 2010 12:31AM
Thumbs Up

blueseven said...

try a product called "solvit- citrus clean"can't rave about it enough,works a treat
removing glue residue from old stickers and pin stripes on boats so should work here.

Thats the one! Works a treat if you scrape as much goo off as possible after first application and then re apply.

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
8 Feb 2010 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

CMC
QLD, 3954 posts
9 Feb 2010 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Tryfan said...

Mr Miyagi's Wax Off, followed by quick wipe with Metho. Some oils will leave residue.

That's the one, Miyagis. It's a citrus based grease and oil remover. Works great on deck grip glue also. Try to avoid harsh stuff like Turps etc as they will eat into your clear coats common on Compsand EPS boards. Soak it in, let it turn to jelly, scrape off with wax comb then clean with rag and more Miyagis. Done......

BreezyC
NSW, 24 posts
9 Feb 2010 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Progress Report

6.04pm
Eucalyptus Oil 1hr = 6" + $3.40

seriously considering next option de-sol-vit

Will get back with further test results

blueseven
QLD, 59 posts
9 Feb 2010 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

this is the one I was referring to.

BreezyC
NSW, 24 posts
9 Feb 2010 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

blueseven said...

this is the one I was referring to.

Searching for the sovle-it/de-sol-vit, just trying alternative options.........

Piros
QLD, 6995 posts
9 Feb 2010 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Yuk off Grafitti remover but make sure you do it in a well ventilated area it's toxic sh!t , it rips it off , just have heaps of spare rags to mop up the goo.

Rob

MarcusMD
NSW, 60 posts
9 Feb 2010 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Sandpaper, glass, maybe paint depending and new rail tape?
Other option is to call that chick- Shannon Lush or whatever on ABC who does the cleaning tips!
Sandpaper n glass

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
9 Feb 2010 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

You could try some nice cold Coca-Cola.. and when you've drunk it just use some good ol' elbow grease..

DJ

BreezyC
NSW, 24 posts
9 Feb 2010 11:35PM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...

BreezyC
NSW, 24 posts
9 Feb 2010 11:37PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

You could try some nice cold Coca-Cola.. and when you've drunk it just use some good ol' elbow grease..

DJ

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
9 Feb 2010 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

BreezyC said...

laceys lane said...

hey breezyc, if you drink that, i reckon getting glue off your board is the least of your problems.

normally i would say ######

CMC
QLD, 3954 posts
10 Feb 2010 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

Seriously, I have tried all of these things to get off deck grip glue over the years. When you have to clean the boards for resale in QLD in Summer you find the easiest option.

Simply head to Bunnings and grab some citrus based grease and oil remover. Apply liberally with a rag or cotton ball, allow to soak into the glue to soften and then scrape off, wipe down with Metho at the end to clean perfectly.

It even works to get that dried out crud off your car when the stickers get so old they crack up.

BreezyC
NSW, 24 posts
10 Feb 2010 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

CMC said...

Seriously, I have tried all of these things to get off deck grip glue over the years. When you have to clean the boards for resale in QLD in Summer you find the easiest option.

Simply head to Bunnings and grab some citrus based grease and oil remover. Apply liberally with a rag or cotton ball, allow to soak into the glue to soften and then scrape off, wipe down with Metho at the end to clean perfectly.

It even works to get that dried out crud off your car when the stickers get so old they crack up.

Thanks, But we've had trouble locating citrus based desolvents in the area. We've got a scout out in the field at present and are waiting for the drop off.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"chemistry 101" started by BreezyC