Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

in2Kayaks 2012 Avon SUP Challenge - 7km August 5th

Created by Goochi > 9 months ago, 29 Jun 2012
Goochi
WA, 846 posts
29 Jun 2012 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

The in2Kayaks Avon Challenge is being held as a curtain raiser to the main finish at Garret Rd bridge. There are male and female divsions in 2 catagories - 12'6 and 14' prizes available. Entry fee is $20 (which includes day insurance).

Start is at 0945 (brought forward 15mins from original time) at Fish Market Reserve just upstream from the Guildford road bridge and railway bridges. The 7km was selected as we thouight there would be a greater turn out for that distance vs 15km at this time of year. It is a beautiful stretch of the river to paddle along and exciting to be part of the avon descent atmosphere.

SUPWA will try and organise a trailer to get boards back to cars at the start after the race or take boards up from the finish before the race depending on which offers the better parking.

Whilst this is not a SUPWA event - we have been involved and a good turn out will help in the decision to make this an annual event - hope to see you there!

Cheers
Greg

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
29 Jun 2012 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Man that's a good wave on the poster. Does middle swan get like that? I am in if it does

stimo
WA, 874 posts
29 Jun 2012 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

hilly said...

Man that's a good wave on the poster. Does middle swan get like that? I am in if it does

No hilly but the south bay bomey was like that got a set on the head

ianontour
WA, 32 posts
29 Jun 2012 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Looks good Greg, nice to be part of the Avon in its 40th year.

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
4 Jul 2012 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

Just a correction to the race rules on the CWA website in regard to PFD type 2s.

Inflatble PFD type 1s are also premitted. For those without either - In2Kayaks will have some spare PFD2s to borrow down at the start.

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
4 Jul 2012 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

And before peopele blast into why a pfd is necessary on a flat water race and how uncomfortable they are, during last year's 111km Hawkesbury Classic we had to wear a pfd and you hardly even notice it if you get a good fitting one. There was also no luxury of an inflatable option.

So thems thar the rules, if you don't like them, don't whinge and don't paddle.

akhawk
WA, 1085 posts
5 Jul 2012 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

I think entries for the main Avon race close next week. Does anyone know if this is the same for this sup race?

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
5 Jul 2012 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

Online Entries close 11.59pm WST Tuesday July 31 2012

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
5 Jul 2012 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

I was just looking for info on this and tried the web address that is on the poster above, looks like they got the address wrong, it is not www.canoe.wa.org.au as listed but www.wa.canoe.org.au

www.wa.canoe.org.au/wp-content/uploads/old-files/wa/downloads/Avon%20Challenge%20Event%20Info%202012%20current1.pdf

richswing
WA, 724 posts
6 Jul 2012 12:06AM
Thumbs Up

I would love to do that but my 9 footer would be a tad slow - maybe do it in my surf ski!

On average how long would 7k's take you on a SUP?

Rich

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
6 Jul 2012 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

Anywhere from about 40mins upwards.

richswing
WA, 724 posts
6 Jul 2012 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

That quite fast, I think I used to about 6k's in about that time on a surfski which you would think be quicker as it is more sleak and you have a faster paddle rate with two blades.

Hmmm.

Rich

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
12 Jul 2012 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys
I've just been informed by the organisers that there is a glich in the online booking form. For those who have tried to enter the 14' class and have been told it is only for women; or the absence of the 12'6 class - both these issues should be rectified by the end of the week.

Entries close for the full avon descent today, but entries for this event (the SUP challenge) close on the 31st of July.

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
30 Jul 2012 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys

Entries are building up for this weekends Avon Challenge. There are still positions available for the 12'6 and 14' women's division - so any ladies that are keen this will be a fantastic first event to paddle, nice flat water and great scenary.

Luke has loaned us his trailer and we'll meet at the finish to load boards and drive up to the start.

More details tomorrow

DirectX
WA, 240 posts
30 Jul 2012 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Have fun guys, surfs cranking on sunday so likely to be heading out of town...

Rob

stimo
WA, 874 posts
30 Jul 2012 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

DirectX said...

Rob

Might be there too if the open class doesn't get up 3.5 m swell north and no one out is very tempting

Basha69
WA, 161 posts
30 Jul 2012 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

stimo said...

DirectX said...

Rob

Might be there too if the open class doesn't get up 3.5 m swell north and no one out is very tempting

Im heading out of town mate, hopefully see you there

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
30 Jul 2012 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

As someone relatively new to Perth I took the family out to see the finish of the race last year and it is a great atmosphere with plenty to do. They had the scouts running a climbing wall, face painting and a whole bunch of other activities. So if you are still contemplating entering make it a family affair and get them to cheer you on from the grandstand at the finish.

And the forecast is looking like light winds so should make for some great flat water paddling in a beautiful part of the river.

stimo
WA, 874 posts
31 Jul 2012 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

Do we have to have life jackets ?

Basha69
WA, 161 posts
31 Jul 2012 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

stimo said...

Your going to get Cam all worked up with that question Stimmo

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
31 Jul 2012 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah you do, but type 1 (bumbags) are accepted. If you need one Stimmo speak to Lach I believe he might have one or two kicking around.

Now to take a deep breath and relax..........

In the process of organising the trailer to transport boards so keep an eye out for details of that.

ianontour
WA, 32 posts
31 Jul 2012 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

surf4fun said...

Yeah you do, but type 1 (bumbags) are accepted. If you need one Stimmo speak to Lach I believe he might have one or two kicking around.

Now to take a deep breath and relax..........

In the process of organising the trailer to transport boards so keep an eye out for details of that.

Very restrained!

ScarbsSUP
WA, 354 posts
Site Sponsor
31 Jul 2012 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

If anyone is after a PFD for the Avon, I organised a group guy from a sympathetic BCF owner for our paddling group.

BCF have them for $69. The Marlin "Paddler" is the most comfy one we tried on, wasn't too bulky, had a zip pocket on the front and a pouch for hydration packs.

See ya's on the river ;-)

DM

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
31 Jul 2012 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

surf4fun said...

Yeah you do, but type 1 (bumbags) are accepted.

Got one if anyone wants one

roggoodwin
WA, 232 posts
1 Aug 2012 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

stimo said...

From what I saw on the websit only those under the age of 18 have to wear a life jacket. Maybe I'm wrong. Has anyone actualy talked to the organizers.

richswing
WA, 724 posts
1 Aug 2012 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

I was so keen to do the race, LOUD was so kind enough to offered his 14 footer for me to borrow, paid the $20 and it was all on track then - I get a suspected white tail (or whatever they call it) spider bite on the thigh and hole the size of a 50 cent coin forms on my leg, which is not ideal for a dirty river.

I think if I could tape it up enouigh with waterproof plaster it should be OK but I was hoping to get a little training in rather than use the board for the first time on the race and compounded by the glow in the dark antibiotics sucking all the energy out of me I dont think it is going to happen as I would rather have 2 legs to stand on.

Enjoy the race guys,
Rich

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
1 Aug 2012 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

Rich, photos of the bite or it's just an excuse mate....

richswing
WA, 724 posts
1 Aug 2012 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

Hows that for an excuse!

Picture removed due to people losig their breakfast.

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
1 Aug 2012 10:47AM
Thumbs Up

Not sure if that's a sensational bite or if it's puke time....

That's more than an excuse, that's a reason not to compete... hope it gets better soon....

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
1 Aug 2012 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Rog - you'll see from the earlier posts that PFDs are mandatory for this race. Inflatable PFD 1 are accepted as are PFD2. The sponsor will have some PFD 2s at the start for those who don't have either.

See Darren at Stand Up Perth, Mike at Stand UP Surf Shop or Whitworths Marine for an inflatable PFD 1. These will be handy for the rest of the season as SUPWA distance events and Downwind training sessions will require inflatable PFD1.
These will also be for sale on the SUPWA website when it is launched.

roggoodwin said...

stimo said...

From what I saw on the websit only those under the age of 18 have to wear a life jacket. Maybe I'm wrong. Has anyone actualy talked to the organizers.

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
1 Aug 2012 3:41PM
Thumbs Up

Everyone needing a lift to the start in the SUP race please meet at Bayswater Riverside Gardens in the carpark closest to the river at 0800. Cam will bring down Luke's trailer and we will try and fit as many boards as we can in. The rest need to be doubled up on participants cars. We can only have a handful of cars into the Fish Market reserve.

If you have a support person that can drop you and your board off at Fish Market Reserve that would be preferable. If you can do this then get there at 0845.

Cars and trailers must be out of Fish Market Reserve by 1045, as they have a Council run market there and parking tickets will be given out. If there are support people to drive cars back to the finish that would be fantastic.

The briefing is at 0915 and the start is immeidately after - note this time is earlier than the 0945 start time listed on the CWA website.

We will be started in 2 waves. 12'6 first, then 14'/unlimited division. Looking like great weather.

See you there

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"in2Kayaks 2012 Avon SUP Challenge - 7km August 5th" started by Goochi