in2Kayaks 2012 Avon SUP Challenge - 7km August 5th

Created by Goochi > 9 months ago, 29 Jun 2012
stimo
WA, 874 posts
6 Aug 2012 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

Ian Grose said...

Great results Stimo and Cam.

Just for the interest of those less skilled I'll put mine up there as well.

Only my second race, over 50 and nowhere near as fit as the others, but it was great fun and I was happy with my mid field result.

connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/206696228

Do I get a prize for the highest BPM .

Loving the Garmin 910.
[:o)
I think we all turned on early then turned off late.

We have just taken delivery of a Tanita Body Composition Scale which via the Garmin 310 or 910 transfers Weight, Hydration, Body Fat, Metabolic Age etc to Garmin Connect and does nice little graphs. So if any of you guys what to check out your stats drop in and give it a go. Either with your Garmin or hand written.

Certainly got a few targets for the future...

Ian

Hey Ian see that training effect 5 they don't recon that's good but that heart rate is impressive
And Great to see Loc has some one else in the over 50 that's a whole other topic ,
Just to get SUPWA thinking 30to 35 35/40/45/50/55 and onwards plus sub junior
And yes got to love the 910 x you know you can get paddle cadence as well
See you on the water

Basha69
WA, 161 posts
6 Aug 2012 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

Here is the link to my stats connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/206701723

I forgot my heart rate monitor so no bpm for me and not sure why my average speed is not shown. When i check my split times it can be seen my average speed was 8.9km/h.

Well done getting the line honours Stimmo. What a great race and so good to see such a large fleet, hopefully just a taste of things to come!!!

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
6 Aug 2012 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

stimo said...

Hey Ian see that training effect 5 they don't recon that's good but that heart rate is impressive
And Great to see Loc has some one else in the over 50 that's a whole other topic ,
Just to get SUPWA thinking 30to 35 35/40/45/50/55 and onwards plus sub junior
And yes got to love the 910 x you know you can get paddle cadence as well
See you on the water

Ok I'll stick my hand up too just don't tell anyone

ScarbsSUP
WA, 354 posts
Site Sponsor
6 Aug 2012 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

Finally got my stats from the Garmin. I too forgot to turn it off so there is heaps of superfluous data but if you check the laps, and graphs, you get the idea.

My average was ~9.5km/hr for the race with a peak of 13.3km/hr on the Fanatic Flat Water 14ft. I reckon you need to try harder for highest BPM Ian.

connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/207344613

DM

PeterP
845 posts
7 Aug 2012 1:31AM
Thumbs Up

Those are really, really good ave. speeds!

Is there any current in that river, because no one here can match those speeds! Very impressive!

Our best guys can hold 9.8km/h over 3km on the right day so looks like we have some work to do....

kiwibro
WA, 175 posts
7 Aug 2012 6:58AM
Thumbs Up

Well another couple of months and I want my own over 60 division so I can get for a short while at least some of those fancy trophys.
For someone who doesn't have a competitive bone in their body, I am finding after Sundays effort that I should be going faster and I want to !!!!!!.
What the hells happening.....?.....

It was a great event......trying obviouslly to cater for a wide range of abilities and levels of expertise..but

it got a great crew together and their supporters.

A great day.

stimo
WA, 874 posts
7 Aug 2012 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

ScarbsSUP said...

Hi Guys,

Finally got my stats from the Garmin. I too forgot to turn it off so there is heaps of superfluous data but if you check the laps, and graphs, you get the idea.

My average was ~9.5km/hr for the race with a peak of 13.3km/hr on the Fanatic Flat Water 14ft. I reckon you need to try harder for highest BPM Ian.

connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/207344613

DM

One big motor DM that's up there have you always had high max that's why the longer distance ones more than likely suit hey

stimo
WA, 874 posts
7 Aug 2012 7:34AM
Thumbs Up

PeterP said...

Is there any current in that river, because no one here can match those speeds! Very impressive!

Our best guys can hold 9.8km/h over 3km on the right day so looks like we have some work to do....

Hi Peter the current was not as fast as it could have being was in the slack of the tide but yes there was a bit towards the end as the river opened up but up the top end quite slack
This Garmen data is great may have to start up a post of its own that's how cross fit all started people posting there work outs and filming them and saying there you go try and SMASH THAT
Who knows it may be more popular than. DJ PRETTY GIRLS Post mmm don't think so

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
7 Aug 2012 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

Although this river is tidal, the race was held a fair way up from the river mouth and from memory looking at the graphs it was pretty much slack water. I didn't notice any eddies or turbulence aroind the bridge pylons when we went under. DM will be the best man to comment on it as he spends the most time on that part of the water.

akhawk
WA, 1085 posts
7 Aug 2012 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

PeterP said...

They do look very fast speeds. I'm only averaging 9km/ hour on my ski!!

ScarbsSUP
WA, 354 posts
Site Sponsor
7 Aug 2012 10:18AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Cam,

I was hoping for a bit of local knowledge advantage and was disappointed at the start to see no tidal flow whatsoever. At every point along the race I was looking for the tell tale signs of water movement so I could maximize my efforts and use my advantage. I only noticed the absolute slightest movement at the very end of the race as the tide began to run out. It wasn't really fast enough to give any advantage.

It was a great race and very even for everyone. I hope the Classic Paddle will have a tide, preferably running out to make it more technical although I'm not as familiar with that area of the river as the Freo crew.

River racing is awesome!

DM

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
7 Aug 2012 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

Ian Grose said...

Great results Stimo and Cam.

Just for the interest of those less skilled I'll put mine up there as well.

connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/206696228

Do I get a prize for the highest BPM .

Loving the Garmin 910.

Ian

Ian i think i found your problem

Elevation Gain: 43 ft

You were paddling uphill

ScarbsSUP
WA, 354 posts
Site Sponsor
7 Aug 2012 12:55PM
Thumbs Up

stimo said...
One big motor DM that's up there have you always had high max that's why the longer distance ones more than likely suit hey

Hey Stimo,

Yep, always had a faster than average heart rate. For as long as I have remembered my resting HR was always 80 bpm and I have no problem getting it up to 195 bpm with a fast sprint in cycling or Paddling.

Since paddling I have managed to drop my resting HR to 58-60bpm first thing in the morning which I reckon is great.

Here is an interesting article on heart rates of athletes.
joefrielsblog.com/high-heart-rate-questions/

I don't think a high HR is advantageous to marathon type events, but they are the events I seem to prefer, go figure

DM

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
7 Aug 2012 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

ScarbsSUP said...

It was a great race and very even for everyone. I hope the Classic Paddle will have a tide, preferably running out to make it more technical although I'm not as familiar with that area of the river as the Freo crew.

River racing is awesome!

DM

If the Classic Paddle is on the Saturday then high tide is at 9:40 and the Sunday high tide is 10:25. So it could either be slack water or a light head current.

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
13 Aug 2012 1:04AM
Thumbs Up

I finally worked out how to upload the photos from the Avon SUP Challenge. Thanks to Kirk for taking the photos on the day.

Big Luc Longley, exNBA star for the Chicago Bulls awaits the start for the unlimited class

12'6 start

14' and Unlimited Start

Stimo first overall on DC 16'

Marcus first 14' DC 14'

Big Smile from the Big Man!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"in2Kayaks 2012 Avon SUP Challenge - 7km August 5th" started by Goochi