Thumbs Up

anyone got one / getting one

any one got width and thickness of this board,,,just curious

adios

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
6 Jul 2008 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

If I was going to get a real serous wave board I'd get one..I hope to talk to JB more about this board when I see him next week..I love the look of it.

I'll keep buying those lotto tickets.. ..I'm thinking the wave that breaks from Left Point across to Cat Bay area on Phillip Island would be perfect for SUP'ing.

They're BIG waves and you would need a big pinie type board to carve nice big turns..The wave gets fat through the middle section but a SUP could keep on it.

DJ

WINDSURFnSNOW
NSW, 1612 posts
Site Sponsor
7 Jul 2008 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

She's 11'6" x 28.25" x 4.25" with a very pulled in tail.

I don't know if I'll ever need one but I want one!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
7 Jul 2008 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

It shouldn't bounce around on the bottom turns like this board in this vid.

DJ

Reflex Films
WA, 1446 posts
7 Jul 2008 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

dont know if i was looking at the same vid but that board just looked loose and well suited to the conditions - i couldnt see any excessive bouncing.

Cerainly was a fun looking 3 - 4ft day! and warm too!

some nice riding and some good cutty to reo combos in there,

i dont think you'd bother taking a pulled in pin out until the surf really starts to heave ..

sandy crack
NSW, 20 posts
7 Jul 2008 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

whats the video got to do with the naish board???

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
7 Jul 2008 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

Probably not a good vid for showing what I mean by bouncing or skipping about on the bottom turns.

Great vid tho..

I like the way pin tailed boards turn without having to get right back on the tail..and they use more of the rail.

DJ

Brooko
1672 posts
7 Jul 2008 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

Pintails are best for really hollow big waves , for holding a line in sucky faces, normally not the best board for turning !

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
7 Jul 2008 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Brooko said...

Pintails are best for really hollow big waves , for holding a line in sucky faces, normally not the best board for turning !

Or turning with speed...IMO..

DJ

tha dogman
NSW, 2912 posts
7 Jul 2008 11:57PM
Thumbs Up

great vid DJ

love the wave he gets at the 3 min mark where he drives past a hell section and goes for the lip floater and gets nailed

nice

love to take the 11'6 for a spin out at one of my local swell magnets

JB just drop one off on your way past Minnie Water for a little detour when your heading up the nsw north coast

while your at it bring a 9'3 too just to top it off..lol..

question: what is the fin set up?

dreaming

hilly
WA, 7323 posts
8 Jul 2008 8:14AM
Thumbs Up

Well designed sup should handle pretty big swell check http://www.jimmylewis.com/shopcontent.asp?type=Standup%20paddleboarding think I posted it before. Scroll down some shots missing and www.supsurfaustralia.com/SUP%20Stand%20Up%20Paddle%20Boards/Photos.html

Courts and Damon were out at serious boatramps last Sunday heard they were ripping. Has a lot to do with the pilot.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
8 Jul 2008 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

hilly said...

Well designed sup should handle pretty big swell

Courts and Damon were out at serious boatramps last Sunday heard they were ripping. Has a lot to do with the pilot.

I agree...I'd like to explain more about what I think but I think I'd only be digging a deeper hole for myself..

I enjoyed this JL vid the other day..Not huge waves but nice and cruizy.

DJ

Subculture
443 posts
8 Jul 2008 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

I agree...I'd like to explain more about what I think but I think I'd only be digging a deeper hole for myself..

Freedom of speech DJ, don't ever hold back..

This would be a pretty quiet forum without your input... I'm sure most of us will be very happy to read your comments!

ChrisMcC
NSW, 667 posts
8 Jul 2008 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

great vid DJ ... only makes me more determined to drop to under 10ft. Wonder about the need for super fine pin tails though ... would still want some width under me to take on this Alley monster !!!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
8 Jul 2008 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

Great pic Just Wrong...Was anyone out?..any more pics?

I'll try and explain my thoughts on pin tails and why I think the Naish gun would be such a good board.

I know I'll be called old fashion and old school but I loved the old asymetric boards..The 'can openers' etc..and I still have at least two of them.

Here's a few pics...The first one just dragged from under the house today..It's from Hawaii...and the other made for me in Byron Bay...I've had about half a dozen asym's over the years.

Firstly I'm talkin' from a windsurfing point of view..but these boards are closer in size to SUP's and also surf the way a SUP surfs.

For those that don't understand the asymmetric concept I'll try and explain.

A gun shaped pin tail board bottom turns great but will not turn very sharp off the top..and a shorter board 'with more curve in the tail' turns great off the top but skips and bounces around on a big bottom turn...The asym's do both well..Most normal boards now are a sort of compromize..or you just learn to cope with it.

The only problem with asymmetric is that they are made to only go one way..Mine are for right handers..Like almost all the waves here in Vic (Bells, Point Danger, Point Imposible, Rye, Gunnamatta, Point Leo, Woollami etc)..all these waves are right hand bear aways this is because our wind also comes from the south or S/W or N/W..anything with east is very rare here.

I love the thin pin tailed boards because you can push hard through a bottom turn with heaps of speed and power without and risk of skipping or bouncing..You turn these boards from a long way forward..maybe 18" from the tail..where a normal board you need your rear foot almost right on the tail.

If you notice with these asymmetric's you just move your foot from one side of the tail to the other and on the pinny side it's in the right spot..and then when turning on the shorter side it's also in the right spot (nice and close to the tail).

I'm not sure what I'm getting to here...But what I like about that big Naish pin tail SUP is first the nice pin tail shape (I'm hoping the rails are pretty thin) and the nose shape and nose rocker...Even if they don't turn that well of the top.

The problem with riding a Mal nosed board can be first that there's not enough nose lift so when dropping down the face for the last time before it closes out or on a steep section you can often nose dive..and also the rounded shape nose can catch after turning off the top before you start your next bottom turn.

So...sorry about the long winded explanation...But I for one can't wait to check out this board..and try it in some good sized waves..It's no nose shapped nose with heaps of nose lift..along with the pin tail..It should work great.

Hey JB..Did you get to see one..or even try one..What are your thoughts about this board?

DJ

paul.j
QLD, 3341 posts
8 Jul 2008 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah a few out just not on the SUP'S although next time might be different. Ithink these shots were takin around the same days.

paul.j
QLD, 3341 posts
8 Jul 2008 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

ChrisMcC
NSW, 667 posts
8 Jul 2008 8:33PM
Thumbs Up

and Jacko you know if we can't get out at the Alley we are padding from the Tweed River round to Snapper!!

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
8 Jul 2008 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hey DJ,
Did you own a 2 door Nissan pathfinder many years ago?
Regards,
Scotty

paul.j
QLD, 3341 posts
8 Jul 2008 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

FOR SURE!!!!!!!!

Brooko
1672 posts
8 Jul 2008 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

My goodness dj put that wild thing away before you poke someone in the eye with it . I know in surfing when its big you want a gun, and guns are generally fine pintails. For say nice hollow 6ft beachbreaks you might want a rounded pin. Say for 4ft beachies you might want a round tail or squaretail for really easy turning. On a sup i actually like the idea of a swallow tail like the 9.6 " i think it is a perfect combination esp with the 4 fins. With a gun your not doing a hell of a lot of turning your trying to outgun the huge wave your taming, hence the pintail, really pintails are pigs to turn, know surfer who rips wants to know about a pintail unless its mega sucky or huge, just my 2cents

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
8 Jul 2008 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Scotty Mac said...

Hey DJ,
Did you own a 2 door Nissan pathfinder many years ago?
Regards,
Scotty

Guilty...

Yeah..a black one..I remember when I first bought it Jason P thought it was a pretty cool car and bought himself a white one just like it.

That was just before he became a mega-star..

I also remember Wendy and Nic (him Mum and Dad) telling me it was the worst car that he'd ever bought because it was nowhere near big enough for all his stuff.

Hey..Brooko..Yeah..It's back under the house..

I've never surfed a fine pin tailed surfboard..but I've seen them and I know what you mean.. ..If I ever get one (Naish SUP gun) I'll be sure to let you have a go and see what you think..

DJ

Brooko
1672 posts
8 Jul 2008 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Dj i did like your explanation though on the topic

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
8 Jul 2008 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

paul'j...Great shots..I love that first kitesurfing pic..

DJ

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
8 Jul 2008 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

Thats cool DJ.
The funny thing is I have seen photos of you a million times but that one with you and the can opener clicked in my mind and I remember seeing you at a couple of the wavesailing nationals over the years. I rekon at Robe and Torquay. I was at the nationals JP won and then went pro. I was about 16 years old then. Now I am an old bugger. I did a downwinder today, it was sweet. Around 8km I think downwind in about an hour and a half. Heaps of fun.
Regards,
Scott

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
8 Jul 2008 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

That is cool Scotty..and if you're an old buger now..I must be a really, really old bugger...Which I am (50 now) .. ...Have a good one.

DJ

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"naish 11'6 gun" started by WINDY MILLER