Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

red thumb alert- dc12'6 v2 bop race board

Created by laceys lane > 9 months ago, 30 Sep 2010
laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
30 Sep 2010 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

i wasn't sure what to do in regards to this type of board. travis's bop dc racer is very good, but just didn't grab me. after trying a few boards and umming and arring, i went to dale with a few changes in mind to the "travis bop model'

wow what great board- fast, stable, surfs and handles well- what more could one wont

12'6 x 28 5/16 square tail, displacement to flat to spiral v with concaves to v in the tail. weight 11.4 kgs

the deck features a double concave scoop- lowers centre and strenghtens the board

the file from the travis was used to cut the foam
we off set the profile machine to cut 3mm bigger from both sides of the foam block. this allowed use to get stuck in the the bottom middle and tail and flatten out the rolled bottom.i had the double concaves put back in as i feel they give a better release when surfing waves
dale then shaped the down turned nose a different way that then lent its self to a more streamline nose planeshape. more similar to this

this shape is fast and is one of the few boards i can hop on after my oc1 and it feels good. i paddled with dale on the 12'6 and it keeps pace with the red rocket

some more views

despite flattening the bottom- its fast and i reckon the new more narrower nose is part of the reason

the stability and handling is first rate. i took the board out in the front of alley rocks and paddled up wind. heaps of backwash and it was easy- even went a lot closer than normal

Chookman78
NSW, 72 posts
30 Sep 2010 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Looks sweet Lacey. Can't wait to get mine next week.

Minkee
QLD, 225 posts
30 Sep 2010 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

screw the red thumbs, nothing wrong with promoting "made in Australia" products!

wazza66
QLD, 611 posts
30 Sep 2010 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

Better jump on the plane and get over to the BOP and use the bloody thing now

What do the letters under the DC decals mean

Looks good Mark, well done to you and Dale.

Waz

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
30 Sep 2010 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

your an innovator Lacey , you have obvious passion for sport , that or to much time on your hands.

looks the goods

your not a lefty are you?

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
30 Sep 2010 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Chookman78 said...

Looks sweet Lacey. Can't wait to get mine next week.

dale was so happy with the outcome, he put the next block up, machined it and shaped it the same. i guess they will all be this way now. he did a fantasic job. the nose job was totally his and i believe it's made the board. i guess that next board is yours
in the flats and paddle outs- i stand right over the handle. in the waves and etc, behind it
cheers

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
30 Sep 2010 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

teatrea said...

your an innovator Lacey , you have obvious passion for sport , that or to much time on your hands.

looks the goods

your not a lefty are you?

haha, actually, i have been more busier than i've been for a while

when you train with the guns, you sorta work out what doesn't work and what can be better. pain makes you think of easier ways

i have some ideas and i've got a tradesmans eye and can see things, but dale makes it happen- make no mistake about that
cheers

DavidJohn
VIC, 17460 posts
30 Sep 2010 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

Nice looking board.. Will anyone at the BOP this w/e be using one?

Re that second last pic.. What's going on with the paddle shaft being bent and it's not even in the water?

DJ

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
30 Sep 2010 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

DavidJohn said...

Nice looking board.. Will anyone at the BOP this w/e be using one?

Re that second last pic.. What's going on with the paddle shaft being bent and it's not even in the water?

DJ

it doesn't look like it dj. some body made some noises, but it was all to late.

it's my paddle rate, the camera's shutter speed wasn't fast enough i don't know why, but it looked interesting
cheers

Scotty Mac
SA, 2055 posts
30 Sep 2010 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Green for me.

aus301
QLD, 2039 posts
30 Sep 2010 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Mark, do you think this would be stable enough for a beginner thats only interest ever would be to paddle on flat water?

(he asks thinking the wife may need one)

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
30 Sep 2010 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

aus301 said...

Mark, do you think this would be stable enough for a beginner thats only interest ever would be to paddle on flat water?

(he asks thinking the wife may need one)

hi,they come out of the machine at 29", after shaping- about 28 and 3/4" give or take. dale worked the rails down a bit more for me as i believe the stability would be good enough to do that. so with a v2 left at bit more wider width, yeah i reckon no worries after the first go. alains wife has one that is not as flat bottomed as mine and loves it. also would like the 11.4 kg weight part of it too.
cheers

Adapt
QLD, 723 posts
30 Sep 2010 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

Nice board lacey!

CMC
QLD, 3954 posts
30 Sep 2010 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

I need one of these things..... Great in and out of the surf and has glide in the flats.

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
30 Sep 2010 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

CMC said...

I need one of these things..... Great in and out of the surf and has glide in the flats.

i need to win lotto so i can buy all of these sic toys.

Nice
18 posts
1 Oct 2010 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

milko
NSW, 604 posts
1 Oct 2010 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

Nice board Lacey.. Can i buy that one of you next week when you upgrade

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
1 Oct 2010 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

" the deck features a double concave scoop- lowers centre and strenghtens the board "

how does the double concave scoop strengthen the board?

Serg

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
1 Oct 2010 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

husq2100 said...

" the deck features a double concave scoop- lowers centre and strenghtens the board "

how does the double concave scoop strengthen the board?

Serg

hi, the overlays of glass on the rails form a beam so to speak. when a scoop is done on a deck, that beam gets to curve down forming more beam. when the scoop comes up in the centre again, that forms another ridge or angle which is stronger then flat. sort of like metal roof sheets with ribs is stronger than flat metal
cheers

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
1 Oct 2010 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

did a short dw run on the board this afternoon- pretty good fun. unexpectingly i found i had to move back and off set my feet- this board liked to plane/ surf

this the difference from flat to dw/surf

i move back more if needed

i enjoyed doing this different style of dw ing.

to me there seems to be two styles of dw suping- a oc1/ski style and the planing/surfboard style, it's fun to be able to mix em up
cheers

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
1 Oct 2010 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

milko said...

I was going to say the same the other day

Bets,how long before its on the market,1 2 3 4 weeks

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
2 Oct 2010 7:55AM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

milko said...

I was going to say the same the other day

Bets,how long before its on the market,1 2 3 4 weeks

haha, we'll see. don't think this one could be bettered

mac, you were saying you are looking at a paddler. the dc14'er x 28.5 is a really nice board- a good all rounder. i had a quick go on one the other morning. i reckon that would be the go for you
cheers

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
3 Oct 2010 10:52PM
Thumbs Up

Smick Looking board Mark

Well we see one at Mambo?

Phill

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
3 Oct 2010 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

OG SUP said...

Smick Looking board Mark

Well we see one at Mambo?

Phill

not sure what the go is yet phill. i'll check up

cheers

aus301
QLD, 2039 posts
4 Oct 2010 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

I might be able to volunteer to take a DC downwind board down to Mambo.

Looks like there is three 14'ers on the roof so far, so plenty of room for another.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"red thumb alert- dc12'6 v2 bop race board" started by laceys lane