Forums > Surfing Longboarding

AFL Season 2013

Created by Simondo > 9 months ago, 26 Mar 2013
Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
28 Sep 2013 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

Well done TD. Freo really only have themselves to blame - they just failed to kick straight all game - even with 6 mins to go Valantine had several opportunities to cut the lead right back.

As for Buddy - it would be great for GWS if he did make it up that way but I wonder why he would leave just yet....surely the Hawks have a good chance to win again next yr and GWS will just get stronger and stronger so why not wait just one more year.

Tassiedevel
TAS, 2249 posts
28 Sep 2013 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

Reckon it comes down to what's more important Ted the money or the glory .the money they are talking would be really hard to knock back for anybody .

Reckon the hawks got a bit lucky today might have been a different story if some of those early kicks had been straight and Freo got out to an early lead .

Twimby
WA, 483 posts
28 Sep 2013 11:43PM
Thumbs Up

Gutted

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
29 Sep 2013 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

EOPek__

Tassiedevel
TAS, 2249 posts
30 Sep 2013 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

trophys in devonport today

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
1 Oct 2013 6:18AM
Thumbs Up

Big News

THE Swans have made a $7m bid to steal Hawthorn??s premiership winner Lance Franklin from cross-town rivals, the GWS Giants.

Blues not in race for Buddy
How your club traded last year

News Limited can reveal that the move, which will stun the AFL world and enrage Melbourne clubs, involves a five-year, $1.4m per season to lure Franklin to the 2012 premiers.

Franklin won his second premiership with the Hawks on Saturday but the superstar???s transfer to the AFL???s newest franchise, GWS, has been widely reported as a certainty all season.

What your club did at last year's trade and draft table

The Hawks have cobbled together $1.1m a year to entice the goalkicking sensation to stay. and while the Swans??? 11th hour offer is left in the shade by the Giants??? $2m a season deal, there are a host of reasons that could win over Franklin.

Tassiedevel
TAS, 2249 posts
1 Oct 2013 8:28AM
Thumbs Up

Don't get how the swans in a fair playing field can afford to table an offer like that .

Check out their list , pretty impressive , so much for the draft , salary cap creating even teams .

And this on top of the Kurt Tippett saga last year with the crows .

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
1 Oct 2013 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

Space in the salary cap has been created by the retirement of three 2012 premiership players Jude Bolton, Marty Mattner and Mitch Morton.

SYdney also get a 9% loading for cost of living adjustments.........

Tassiedevel
TAS, 2249 posts
1 Oct 2013 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..

Space in the salary cap has been created by the retirement of three 2012 premiership players Jude Bolton, Marty Mattner and Mitch Morton.

SYdney also get a 9% loading for cost of living adjustments.........

Reckon that 9 percent loading is a load of cr>p , ask the demon supporters how they would like to be getting the same headstart .

From what I am seeing the hawks are planning for life without him , have been for a while .

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
1 Oct 2013 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

You can also fiddle the books a little bit, with the veteran playing list...

www.afl.com.au/about-afl/veteran-players

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
1 Oct 2013 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

The 9% or 10% uplift for Sydney is totally justified. Go to work and live in Eastern Sydney and try renting a nice place! It is bloody expensive.
Western Sydney is cheap! Because it is not very nice... 1/10 Aussies lives in Western Sydney, and 1/10 live in Eastern Sydney...

For the Sydney Swans guys, pick suburbs near their main base, The SCG.... Randwick Median House Price - $1.5M!! I'm not joking! Bondi, $1.8M, and some quarters it hit $2.0M !!! Fark! Balmain is slightly more affordable at $1.3M, but typically Balmain has smaller houses, on average... Annandale, about $1.0M.

Hawthorn Vic, about $1.2M. Caulfield, about $1.0M or under. Carnegie, about $750k. Bentleigh, $800k. Albert Park, $1.3M. Port Melbourne, under $1.0M. Collingwood, $750k. Carlton, about $1.0M.

(The Eastern Sydney uplift should be at least 5%, and 6% to 8% is easy to justify, and 9-10% is a slight stretch... but justifiable)

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
1 Oct 2013 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

LANCE Franklin appears set to join the Swans after the GWS Giants withdrew their offer on advice the Hawk will join Sydney.

The news comes after News Limited today revealed that the Sydney Swans had launched a last-minute offer to snare Franklin, with the offer believed to be in the vicinity of $7 million across five seasons.

The Giants sensationally tweeted today that they had taken their offer to Franklin, believed to be worth $2 million a season, off the table.

Franklin is believed to today be telling teammates and friends of his departure, telling them he wants to live in Bondi next year.

The Herald Sun understands the Hawks superstar is poised to meet with coach Alastair Clarkson today, where it is expected he will tell him of his plans to move to Sydney.

It is believed Franklin has revealed plans to buy a house in the trendy Sydney suburb of Bondi.

NewScotty
2350 posts
1 Oct 2013 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

Bad career move.
He'll be on the coke in no time.

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
1 Oct 2013 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

Sessions over lock this thread

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
1 Oct 2013 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

Mac & Scotty, get back into your NRL thread!

Tassiedevel
TAS, 2249 posts
1 Oct 2013 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

still reckon the 9 percent loading is very very very very very unfair . Players are free to choose what suburb to live in same as the rest of us .

imagine if the Sydney clubs tried to pull the same on the Broncos in the NRL .

sounds like your mail on Buddy is on the money Ted , just came on the radio , wonder which full forward for the swans will be in the reserves - Buddy , Tippet ?

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
1 Oct 2013 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

Ross Lyon is choker...I cannot believe he took Zak Clarke off...He should of dragged Pearce in the second quarter and put Neale on...I told my old man at the start of the year that he knows how to get there but he sure don't know how to win 'em...sucked in Freo

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
1 Oct 2013 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

Harsh Tux - I do not blame him for that fact that his boys CHOKED under pressure in front of goal. That was cause of the loss in my opinion. It took an eternity for them to get on the scoreboard and then in the last quarter after doing so well in the third they were unable to put any score board pressure on in the last 12 mins with lots of missed opportunities. Perhaps he could have prepared them better but those were fundamental weaknesses for pro footballers. He has only been there two yrs and done something no one else has done before him. I am prepared to cut him a bit more slack

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
2 Oct 2013 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

Cost Of Living Allowance or COLA, for Sydney players... It is just 'code' for their Coke Allowance! Buddy wants Coke!

Coke is better than Pepsi!

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
2 Oct 2013 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..

Harsh Tux - I do not blame him for that fact that his boys CHOKED under pressure in front of goal. That was cause of the loss in my opinion. It took an eternity for them to get on the scoreboard and then in the last quarter after doing so well in the third they were unable to put any score board pressure on in the last 12 mins with lots of missed opportunities. Perhaps he could have prepared them better but those were fundamental weaknesses for pro footballers. He has only been there two yrs and done something no one else has done before him. I am prepared to cut him a bit more slack

I dunno bro...Ross Lyon is noted as possibly the hardest task master in the AFL and while he can milk the best out of the average player his style of playing and training is too taxing and not flexible enough to go all the way in my opinion...his game plan is so structured rigid it takes away form the players ability to think for themselves...you see it in really good teams and you will here the coach say in the pressers that they didn't say anything they just trusted the players to get the job done (Geelong is a great example of this) when the pressure is only in the last quater...Ross's players are so drilled its makes teh average player look good but when the heat come and they have to think for themselves they can't

dotcomdotau
WA, 505 posts
2 Oct 2013 7:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..

Yeah, not the best game we played this year but look at the teams, Freo. ... was the first GF for many of them up against numerous for the Hawks.
I don't think too many would have played in front of that crowd except the Hawks boys.
Freo. could not get the ball inside 50 cleanly and when they did missed set shots as did the Hawks but they got inside more times and marked the ball closer to goal.
I say good on them and no excuses, we came to play and got beaten by the better team on the day. The Hawks played with more pressure on our boys and took their chances.

Hodgy summed it up at the end I reckon .... Heaps of respect for the boys from Fremantle in the football world and he knows we'll be back

Tassiedevel
TAS, 2249 posts
2 Oct 2013 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

I am amazed at how far freo has come under Lyons .

Watched them play at Launy last season and they got a real touch up by the hawks .they have a superstar in that young number 17? Fythe ? .

Headlines in the paper today Buddy deal will mark the end of cost of living allowance .

thePup
13831 posts
4 Oct 2013 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

Swans IF they grab Buddy will be a huge threat next year ..... pity no-one else will be getting paid a dime for 10 years as a result hahaha

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
4 Oct 2013 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

Buddy's manager Liam Pickering was mentioning that if he retires early (before the 9 years is up), the contract stops...
Smells fishy!

thePup
13831 posts
4 Oct 2013 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^
mmmmmm big big bucks brother - the manager did extraordinarily well for him !!

Geez the player movements are coming thick and fast be a few new look sides in 2014

SP
10979 posts
5 Oct 2013 8:49AM
Thumbs Up

Haha pup, the manager was quoted in the paper as " being very happy with the deal"...

Course he is, he is on a %.....

And how can it be a cost of living subsidy if Perth, freo etc don't get it....

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
5 Oct 2013 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SP said..

Because it takes less time to end up in a sh!tty cheap suburb in Perf... Subiaco>cheap.property v's SCG>cheap.property !! Just kidding!

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
5 Oct 2013 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SP said..

Haha pup, the manager was quoted in the paper as " being very happy with the deal"...

Course he is, he is on a %.....

5% cut...???
$1M per season x 5% = $50k... for 4 hours of phones calls, 10 hours reviewing contracts, and 10 hours of meetings, and maybe 1 dedicated flight/trip... Raw of cost of maybe $5-10k tops??? $40k profit...??

thePup
13831 posts
5 Oct 2013 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Nice Simo funny

Tassiedevel
TAS, 2249 posts
6 Oct 2013 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SP said..

Agree totally SP , means in the real world the AFL is paying buddies wage

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"AFL Season 2013" started by Simondo