Forums > Surfing Longboarding

Where did you surf today?

Created by Simondo > 9 months ago, 23 Mar 2013
Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
6 Jun 2013 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Small Rincon today. Really fun. Went back to show Matteo after Kinder. Wind had picked up.
But you get the idea. Fun clean sliders. Wind has backed off again, and gone perfect NW again. So the late arvo crew will be having fun!!
The short board crew are all on their fun boards, eggs, and fishy things... Not a single "normal" shortboard! Finally, some common sense prevailing!

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
6 Jun 2013 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

To celebrate 4 brilliant surf sessions in succession, I'm sucking on a healthy Organic Pilsner from The Otways.

You'll live longer with Organic Beer!

boofy
NSW, 2110 posts
6 Jun 2013 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Simondo said..

Small Rincon today. Really fun. Went back to show Matteo after Kinder. Wind had picked up.
But you get the idea. Fun clean sliders. Wind has backed off again, and gone perfect NW again. So the late arvo crew will be having fun!!
The short board crew are all on their fun boards, eggs, and fishy things... Not a single "normal" shortboard! Finally, some common sense prevailing!

Beautiful waves and a beautiful little fella Simo but get the Knitted vest off him now before it is to late get him a hoodie with the vest he has got accountant written all over him

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
6 Jun 2013 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

That's funny Boof!
And Al Green who started Quiksilver, he was/is actually an accountant. That's what he did at Uni... But yeah good advice! The wife bought that!
He usually wears "Dad" clothes. But not today.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
6 Jun 2013 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

boofy, glad you really didn't knock the wind out of the little scone grabber and say 'estimator written all over him'

haha

cheers boys

boofy
NSW, 2110 posts
6 Jun 2013 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Simondo said..

That's funny Boof!
And Al Green who started Quiksilver, he was/is actually an accountant. That's what he did at Uni... But yeah good advice! The wife bought that!

Gorgeous kid mate and with a dad like you headed for a life of adventure I am sure I love the new KTM to mate very envious
Lacey have you got your coconut oil spray tan booth organised for the boys at Byron this weekend
I am headed for Corindi and Arrawarra meeting Asea down there he is going to show me some real longboarding waves

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
6 Jun 2013 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

Boof, Asea is a good bloke, and don't let anyone else (Mac) tell you otherwise!
Enjoy the trip.

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
6 Jun 2013 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Boof, here's my Al Green Accountancy Skills;
My favorite board, my 9'6 Pintail from Bob... only about $1200 or $1250 including freight. Brand new. On sale. Seems that people were scared of the lovely pin tail... but in truth I'm lucky to have the point breaks to bring it some justice... Sorry I digress!

$1250 Pintail - surfed probably 50+ times already. Say 80 hours of surfing. Condition is 99/100. This board could last me 300 surfs, or 500 hours....
That's $25 per surf so far. Might end up at $3-$5 per surf session... $20 would cover fuel, wetsuits, wax, and a banana...

The KTM - probably 6 rides per year, at roughly $750 to $1250/year = probably $200 per session.
I know other guys who do more riding, but they would spend $6,000 over 3 years, with 40 session... still $150 per session.

boofy
NSW, 2110 posts
6 Jun 2013 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Simondo said..

Boof, here's my Al Green Accountancy Skills;
My favorite board, my 9'6 Pintail from Bob... only about $1200 or $1250 including freight. Brand new. On sale. Seems that people were scared of the lovely pin tail... but in truth I'm lucky to have the point breaks to bring it some justice... Sorry I digress!

$1250 Pintail - surfed probably 50+ times already. Say 80 hours of surfing. Condition is 99/100. This board could last me 300 surfs, or 500 hours....
That's $25 per surf so far. Might end up at $3-$5 per surf session... $20 would cover fuel, wetsuits, wax, and a banana...

The KTM - probably 6 rides per year, at roughly $750 to $1250/year = probably $200 per session.
I know other guys who do more riding, but they would spend $6,000 over 3 years, with 40 session... still $150 per session.

Ha I love it when you are activated into your estimator role and can produce figures like this I can hear your brain ticking over as I read it
I am a big fan of the pintail and could have easy bought one and there are plenty of waves that would warrant having one up here to maybe waves like greenmount when its big.
My wifes boss leaves for Cape York on Friday for a 3 week adventure with six of his mates he is on a BMW 650 he asked me to come with them but with uni commitments at the moment and the fact that I dont have a bike I had to decline would be the trip of a lifetime and something I have always wanted to do

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
6 Jun 2013 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, the 650's eat up the bitumen and quality dirt road k's. A KTM 450 is better for shorter rides... Fire trails, Desert tracks, and some single track thrown in.

boofy
NSW, 2110 posts
6 Jun 2013 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Simondo said..

Yeah, the 650's eat up the bitumen and quality dirt road k's. A KTM 450 is better for shorter rides... Fire trails, Desert tracks, and some single track thrown in.

Simo a pic of my old KTM 620 LC4 left hand kick responsible for more near death experiences than any other bike I have had

kadilak
QLD, 605 posts
6 Jun 2013 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

How far is that from Barwon Heads Simondo? I have a free accommodation offer at Barwon Heads. Nice shot of the young fella too, hope he has a little board?

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
6 Jun 2013 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

Nice work Simondo.....I ordered a new board today and my justification to the minister of war was essentially $3 a week based on selling one of my sticks for $350 and having a changeover cost of $450 - I estimate the board will last me 3 years......it will get a lot of use the first yr...less the second and even less the third....but the thing is we adopt a straight line depreciation Method in this household despite its limitations.....Al Green would know these as well ....so that's where I get $3 a week from....some weeks it will be used 5 or more times.....so a per surf outing will be less than a dollar a session and on a good day the wave count will be high so it might only cost me 5 cents a wave - so its great value! I have not based my calculations on the board having any value at the end of its three yr life.....but it will have residual value....I just choose to bank this for now as its eessentially a tax free benefit for use at a later date.....why is life so complicated? I should just be able to go and spend my money as ia see fit!

SP
10979 posts
6 Jun 2013 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..

Nice work Simondo.....I ordered a new board today and my justification to the minister of war was essentially $3 a week based on selling one of my sticks for $350 and having a changeover cost of $450 - I estimate the board will last me 3 years......it will get a lot of use the first yr...less the second and even less the third....but the thing is we adopt a straight line depreciation Method in this household despite its limitations.....Al Green would know these as well ....so that's where I get $3 a week from....some weeks it will be used 5 or more times.....so a per surf outing will be less than a dollar a session and on a good day the wave count will be high so it might only cost me 5 cents a wave - so its great value! I have not based my calculations on the board having any value at the end of its three yr life.....but it will have residual value....I just choose to bank this for now as its eessentially a tax free benefit for use at a later date.....why is life so complicated? I should just be able to go and spend my money as ia see fit!

But what did you order??

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
6 Jun 2013 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

New short board.......no interest in this room it's my new one board quiver for taking away....sick of taking several boards - too much hassle.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
6 Jun 2013 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
boofy said..

Simondo said..

That's funny Boof!

Gorgeous kid mate and with a dad like you headed for a life of adventure I am sure I love the new KTM to mate very envious
Lacey have you got your coconut oil spray tan booth organised for the boys at Byron this weekend
I am headed for Corindi and Arrawarra meeting Asea down there he is going to show me some real longboarding waves

i hear one of the lads has packed the usual 'gear' for saturday night.

i wonder what its for!!

i'm not going to be there to find out

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
9 Jun 2013 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome work Boof & Ted!
Lacey, we love you too, even when we're on the 'gear'!
Kadi, yeah The Head is really close. My good buddy OG Phil lives close to there at Ocean Grove.

The surf has been pumping down here. 6's and 7's on Swellnet don't do it justice. My sessions have been more like 8's minimum, mostly 9's, and my last session just now at Winki was a 10 !! Refuelling just now with a health conscience Aussie Pizza, chased down with silky healthy Organic Pilsner with pure Otways Water and other beautiful pure healthy ingredients!

Tux
VIC, 3829 posts
11 Jun 2013 8:49AM
Thumbs Up

Like tha man said pumping down here...surfed for over 3hrs on Sat on a nice left 3-4 foot with the odd 5-6 thrown in 6 guys on it...Surfed a rifling right hander for 2hrs on Sunday with no one else out...I guess the 4C air temp kept 'em in bed....and had a fun 2 foot session on Monday with 2 other guys....good times down here...

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
11 Jun 2013 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

Stop showing off Tux You can have yr 4 degree air temp!!!

chrispychru
QLD, 7932 posts
11 Jun 2013 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

Surfed the local and it was firing. The surf was not me today. Bit overhead on the good ones and perfect peaky a frames everywhere. Am buying a knubster tomorrow before I give this quad game away. Or maybe I have just been on a longboard too much and have lost my way

Simondo
VIC, 8020 posts
12 Jun 2013 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

Our golden run of surf has come to an abrupt end!! 5 days of dreaded Summer South Easterly Onshore Crap... (Unseasonal South Easterlies)...

As they say, all good things must come to an end....

chrispychru
QLD, 7932 posts
13 Jun 2013 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

I surfed today. I like to surf. I'm sick off people who pretend to surf. See ya later gents been a pleasure YEEEEEEEW

weiry
QLD, 5396 posts
13 Jun 2013 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

^^ pretend

Whats going on chrispy
wheres the love and stoke gone mate

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
14 Jun 2013 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

I can not tell you where I surfed today as its a secret .........but I had 2 sessions and it was close to all time. The morning was semi crowded with 10 in the water spread over 3 peaks and the lunchtime was less crowded with 4 of us but the offshore was slightly stronger making life a little tricky at times. I am almost hoping that the swell does not kick in as forecast so I can get another session in early tom morning before the crowd. I may take the camera down tom morning and share a few snaps. Hope you all getting some.

SP
10979 posts
14 Jun 2013 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..

I can not tell you where I surfed today as its a secret .........but I had 2 sessions and it was close to all time. The morning was semi crowded with 10 in the water spread over 3 peaks and the lunchtime was less crowded with 4 of us but the offshore was slightly stronger making life a little tricky at times. I am almost hoping that the swell does not kick in as forecast so I can get another session in early tom morning before the crowd. I may take the camera down tom morning and share a few snaps. Hope you all getting some.

I'm in the car at 5... Going north for the weekend..... I may take a camera.... Hopefully look like this....again...

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
14 Jun 2013 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

I know where you are going and wish I was coming !!!! I will be stuck at home working this w/e - too much on next week and not enough hours in the day. ENjoy SP - hope you get some good ones - your timing is perfect. Are you klamping?

MickPC
8266 posts
14 Jun 2013 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Simondo said..

Wow I expected Rincon would be packed on any kinda surfable conditions...but that looks fun & quiet. Hava good1

SP
10979 posts
14 Jun 2013 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..

I know where you are going and wish I was coming !!!! I will be stuck at home working this w/e - too much on next week and not enough hours in the day. ENjoy SP - hope you get some good ones - your timing is perfect. Are you klamping?

Na a mate has moved up there been making regular visits.. Yeah hopefully we will get a few, the reports are looking good..

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
15 Jun 2013 7:56AM
Thumbs Up

swell is starting to kick in but its as messy as all hell with the 20 knot southerly.....the southern corners are not yet getting much action so I think we have to wait till later in the sad sadly. Good conditions for LL to do a DW today.

SP
10979 posts
19 Jun 2013 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ted the Kiwi said..

swell is starting to kick in but its as messy as all hell with the 20 knot southerly.....the southern corners are not yet getting much action so I think we have to wait till later in the sad sadly. Good conditions for LL to do a DW today.

Picking correctly was the key....

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"Where did you surf today?" started by Simondo