SP
10979 posts
18 Jul 2012 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

Ted the Kiwi said...

SP said...

Ted the Kiwi said...

Who is this?

Am I allowed to answer? I get the email 2?

Initals VC

Yes - she is a good friend of mine - I was going to put her in the punch room actually as I am so envious! She went last yr on the same trip with Joel and loved it so she had to go back.

Ahhhhh They are on the flash boat that Simondo is going on with Bob.

Geez, lucky Maldives two years in a row, there's a word for that bi***.

That boat is awesome

weiry
QLD, 5396 posts
18 Jul 2012 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

beerssup said...

weiry said...

beerssup said...

weiry said...

same initials as this guy

My all time favorite surfer Larry Bertleman even had my 666 custom sprayed in his old design.

Was it Town & country, or was that buttons.

Good man now i can sleep

Scotty88
4214 posts
18 Jul 2012 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Camel toe I think they call it.

SP
10979 posts
19 Jul 2012 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

SP said...

Don't know if anyone will get this one but thought I'd put the photo up anyway.

He's Californian

John H. "Doc" Ball, at age 94, was the oldest living American surfer when he passed away in December of 2001. Throughout his final years, he continued to skateboard and surf without a wetsuit in Shelter Cove in Northern California.
SURFING LEGENDS - Doc Ball

Doc Ball The First Surfing Photographer

"Early California Surfriders:
A Tribute to Doc Ball"

John Heath Ball was born in 1907, the same year that George Freeth became the first California surfer. His interest in photography began in Redlands, California when as a kid he was given an old folding autographic camera to take pictures of his family and friends.

Jack Ball first started surfing in a canoe in 1929 at Hermosa Beach while attending USC as a dental student. During this period of time he saw a picture of Tom Blake riding a wave in a Los Angeles Times article. "That was what really stoked me on surfing," said Jack. Later. Jack met Tom Blake and they became good friends. Soon Jack bought a redwood plank four feet wide and 24 feet long. From this he shaped his first board, ten feet long and four inches thick, which weighed 125 pounds. He named it "Na Ali'i" - Hawaiian for "The King." In 1929 there were only 18 to 25 surfers who surfed at Palos Verdes Cove. Long Beach and San Onofre. In between surfing, Jack took pictures of all facets of surfing, from riding the waves to just hanging out and partying at the beach. Jack soon discovered he needed to build a special camera box to waterproof his camera while he was shooting pictures in the water.
By 1935 Jack Ball had become "Doc" Ball while practicing dentistry in Los Angeles. He was also one of the first surfers to form the Palos Verdes Surf Club. In fact, when the waves were really good, Doc would close his dentist office early and go surfing. Now he laughs as he tells this story of angry patients calling to ask where he was and why the office was closed. Doc Ball is best known for his book, California Surfriders, published in 1946, which consisted of 510 copies whose sole purpose was to present pictorially "the thrills, spills, personalities, and places of California surfing." Today it is being reprinted to present a history and testimony of how it was to ride back in the pioneer days.
This irrepressible surfer/skateboarder remained ever youthful in spirit until he passed away on December 5, 2001.

Doc had been riding waves since 1929 and wrote the classic photo book about early California surfing, CALIFORNIA SURFRIDERS (1946). A dentist and perhaps the best-known surf photographer who ever lived, he captured more classic surf images from the 1930s through the '50s than any other photographer. He co-founded the State's first surf club in Palos Verdes, was a great storyteller, a legend among surfers (and surf photographers) and a warm and generous spirit, who remained "stoked" about life until his final days. In addition to loving the ocean's waves, he loved the camaraderie of surfing, beachcombing and gathering driftwood to carve. His woodcarving speciality was eagles. As the partriarch of American surfers, he opens and closes SURFING FOR LIFE. His ashes were spread at sea in dual memorials at both Shelter Cove and Palos Verdes Cove. Doc is survived by his wife, Evelyn and son Norm.

SP
10979 posts
19 Jul 2012 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

DUDE said...

beerssup said...

DUDE said...

I reckon that DUDE was wrong as well............

no one has got this one yet....

Wounded Seagull

Not a Gull......

Looks old, is it someone like Peter Cole or Pat Curren

Prawnhead
NSW, 1317 posts
19 Jul 2012 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

SP said...

DUDE said...

beerssup said...

DUDE said...

I reckon that DUDE was wrong as well............

no one has got this one yet....

Wounded Seagull

Not a Gull......

Looks old, is it someone like Peter Cole or Pat Curren

or even crazy jose angel

DUDE
NSW, 1132 posts
19 Jul 2012 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

Nope,no one has it.........

beerssup
NSW, 513 posts
19 Jul 2012 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

DUDE said...

Nope,no one has it.........

Mark Warren

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
19 Jul 2012 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Reno Abelleira?

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
19 Jul 2012 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

Got it.

Owl Chapman.

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
19 Jul 2012 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

next

DUDE
NSW, 1132 posts
19 Jul 2012 11:14PM
Thumbs Up

smicko said...

Got it.

Owl Chapman.

Craig Elmer "Owl" Chapman

SP
10979 posts
19 Jul 2012 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

smicko said...

next

Would he GO.

Eddie?

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
19 Jul 2012 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

Yup c'mon post one up SP.

DUDE
NSW, 1132 posts
19 Jul 2012 11:51PM
Thumbs Up

First one should be easy......

SP
10979 posts
19 Jul 2012 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

smicko said...

Easy one..

Hard one, clues are. as influential as the duke. Just different hemispheres..

DUDE
NSW, 1132 posts
20 Jul 2012 12:09AM
Thumbs Up

Jack London

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
19 Jul 2012 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

SP said...

smicko said...

Easy one..

Hard one, clues are. as influential as the duke. Just different hemispheres..

Lisa Anderson

SP
10979 posts
19 Jul 2012 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

Yep Smicko, to easy I know.

DUDE said...

Jack London

That's so close Dude. But no...
He is Hawaiian.

And your first one is Nat, the second one I've seen but can't think of it at the moment.

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
19 Jul 2012 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

DUDE said...

Dora??
and
Mark Warren

SP
10979 posts
19 Jul 2012 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

You could be right Smicko, that does look like Mark Warren, top one is definitely Nat

Next one

DUDE
NSW, 1132 posts
20 Jul 2012 12:24AM
Thumbs Up

nope...not

M Warren
Dora
Nat

DUDE
NSW, 1132 posts
20 Jul 2012 12:32AM
Thumbs Up

SP said...

DUDE said...

Jack London

That's so close Dude. But no...
He is Hawaiian.

George Freeth............

DUDE
NSW, 1132 posts
20 Jul 2012 12:41AM
Thumbs Up

SP said...

You could be right Smicko, that does look like Mark Warren, top one is definitely Nat

Next one

Bernard "Midget" Farrelly

SP
10979 posts
19 Jul 2012 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

Dude on fire 2 from 2

George freeth was an interesting bloke.

George Freeth (November 8, 1883-April 7, 1919)

It doesn't take much to be a pro surfer these days. With the ASP's World Qualifying Series ratings a mile long, it's clear that every half-grown fish from every small pond calls himself a pro. But who was the true pro surfing pioneer? Don't let Peter Townend and the boys tell you it was the Bronzed Aussies in 1976. In order to find the Prodigal Pro, you have to turn the clock back -- way back.

In a 1907 travel piece in Woman's Home Companion -- of all places -- Jack London tipped the world off to a secret. He depicted a small group of Hawaiian beach boys who took part in what he called, "a royal sport for the natural kings of earth." Through journalist and Outrigger Canoe Club founder Alexander Hume Ford, London was introduced to a 23-year-old Irish-Hawaiian named George Freeth. London recollects his first vision of Freeth: "Shaking the water from my eyes as I emerged from one wave and peered ahead to see what the next one looked like, I saw him tearing in on the back of it, standing upright with his board, carelessly poised, a young god bronzed with sunburn." Thanks to London's grandiose promotion, Freeth soon made history.

California's Pacific Electric Railway and Henry E. Huntington needed a gimmick. They were having trouble selling seats on the Los Angeles-Redondo route that boasted a new saltwater plunge at its terminus. After reading London's Hawaiian encounters, they hired Freeth as the world's first professional surfer. He conducted demonstrations at Redondo Beach during the spring of 1907, establishing himself as Southern California's first surfer. (A trio of Hawaiian princes, attending military school in San Mateo, had surfed Santa Cruz in 1885). He continued to amaze spectators along the coast at spots from Balboa Beach to Palos Verdes.

Freeth stayed in California, becoming the first official lifeguard in the United States and inventing a lifesaving device still used today. He saved 78 lives with his bravery, including seven Japanese fishermen whose boat was being swept to sea during a winter storm in the Santa Monica Bay. In recognition, he was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor, the Carnegie Medal for Bravery and the U.S. Life Saving Corps Gold Medal. A fishing village near Port Angeles in Washington was even named after him.

Freeth's life came to an abrupt end after several rescues during a winter storm in Oceanside in 1919. He contracted influenza and died at 35. In 1977, sculptor Terry O'Donnell created a bust for the City of Redondo Beach as a way of honoring the historic figure who "revived the lost Polynesian art of surfing" as a sport and a culture in the South Bay. The small bust of Freeth lived at the boardwalk in Redondo Beach until it was stolen in 2008. A $5000 dollar reward still stands for its return, resulting in an ironic the cash-for-icon metaphor. Today, thanks to Freeth's surfer-for-hire roots have, surfers regularly sell their image for millions each year.

DUDE
NSW, 1132 posts
22 Jul 2012 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

DUDE said...

Surprised no one has guessed the first one.....

Second one has something to do with the leggie................

DUDE
NSW, 1132 posts
22 Jul 2012 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

Who is?..........

Ronie "poks" Esquivel

www.mylifeonboard.net/2012/07/22/ronie-poks-esquivel-a-tribute-to-a-remarkable-surfer/

R.I.P

SP
10979 posts
22 Jul 2012 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

First one is Nat.

Nah it's Mctavish.... Sorry dude...

SP
10979 posts
22 Jul 2012 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

Is the second one Gordon Merchant?