arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
28 Aug 2012 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^ha ha very similar jb...deck goes on now..2 layers of six ounce

first layer is trimed to the rail apex

second layer is trimed past the tape up as per bottom

nice clean cut line again

I like to use a little styrene monomer to thin this mix to make it easier to wet out...some say styrene weakens the laminate...I beg to differ...if its an easier wet out the laminate has a better resin to cloth ratio and will be less brittle imo,

let it tac off as you did the bottom

a nice clean trim line...I like to leave the deck overnight...next job is to float on the decals and brush on a fill coat.

BulldogPup
6657 posts
28 Aug 2012 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for tonight's masterclass RG - I reckon this section here is where the nightmares start for the bloke at home , years of seasoned experience I'm seeing!

LadyHawk looks better and better and better each day

Tassiedevel
TAS, 2249 posts
29 Aug 2012 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

BulldogPup said...

Thanks for tonight's masterclass RG - I reckon this section here is where the nightmares start for the bloke at home , years of seasoned experience I'm seeing!

Looks great Pup

I see the red testicles have been removed they would have shrunk pretty quick in the cold water here anyway

BulldogPup
6657 posts
29 Aug 2012 7:28AM
Thumbs Up

Tassiedevel said...

BulldogPup said...

Looks great Pup

I see the red testicles have been removed they would have shrunk pretty quick in the cold water here anyway

LadyHawk does - inspired choice .... have you seen Big Lance's sister Bianca mate???? - smoking hot my friend

My love spuds would indeed shrink in that water temp , we've still got 19 degrees in ours over here - sweet

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
29 Aug 2012 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Loving this thread even more......Ladyhawk did you say? As in this kiwi chick?

BulldogPup
6657 posts
29 Aug 2012 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

Paddle out on that Taz ??????

Tassiedevel
TAS, 2249 posts
29 Aug 2012 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

BulldogPup said...

Unfortunately can't open the video

19 degrees would be like a spa bath Pup

BulldogPup
6657 posts
29 Aug 2012 10:28AM
Thumbs Up

Tassiedevel said...

BulldogPup said...

Unfortunately can't open the video

not quite - but warmer in the water than the bloody cold wind out of it mate for sure , still - we get away with a 3/2

Tassiedevel
TAS, 2249 posts
29 Aug 2012 2:06PM
Thumbs Up

BulldogPup said...

Tassiedevel said...

Select to expand quote
BulldogPup said...

Paddle out on that

not quite - but warmer in the water than the bloody cold wind out of it mate for sure , still - we get away with a 3/2

same here pup at the moment the wind is the killer . Been trying ti find some nice little protected bays so its not so bad

SP
10979 posts
29 Aug 2012 12:24PM
Thumbs Up

Great weather here, 25 degrees and sunny, almost summery, even got shorts on.water is still a bit cold though! Id guess 17. But no waves, I'd gladly drop 10 degrees in air temp for 4 ft of groundswell.. Looks like it might have a foot or 2 on Sunday and that is as good as it gets at the moment

Great post RG, the glassing process was awesome to see, you made it look all to easy.

Tassiedevel
TAS, 2249 posts
29 Aug 2012 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

SP said...

Great weather here, 25 degrees and sunny, almost summery, even got shorts on.water is still a bit cold though! Id guess 17. But no waves, I'd gladly drop 10 degrees in air temp for 4 ft of groundswell.. Looks like it might have a foot or 2 on Sunday and that is as good as it gets at the moment

Great post RG, the glassing process was awesome to see, you made it look all to easy.

Same here SP ,

also find the colder it is then smaller the crowds , worth putting up with the cold .

SP
10979 posts
29 Aug 2012 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

I'm keener than these girls for RGs next post...

towball
4627 posts
30 Aug 2012 3:14AM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^^ me to

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
30 Aug 2012 6:21AM
Thumbs Up

I think RG is warming up the router as we speak......

Tassiedevel
TAS, 2249 posts
30 Aug 2012 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

SP said...

I'm keener than these girls for RGs next post...

Hehehe

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
30 Aug 2012 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

ok skins on, now the resin edge through the tail is taped up...because the cloth wont go around hard edges without bubbles...the edge is rounded off pre glass and now we have to put it back on with a little filler resin...I also like to put a little on the lap so as I can fair the lap edge in pre filler coat

when thats dry enough to sand I fair in and make good all the edges...very tricky and good control over the machine is of paramount importance...one slip and its a nasty sand through

when the edges are all good I like to put some extra glass around where all the boxes are..I use the scrap off the corners here...rather put it on the board than in land fill...surfboard manufactures eco foot print is allready yetti size

float the decals on next...most laminaters will roll the glass back and put them down as they laminate..this is fraught with danger imo...little longer to do it this way but I'm in no hurry

the fill coat is just brushed... on its whole job is as the name implies...it fills the weave of the cloth to give a surface that can be sanded smooth...its just normal polyester resin with wax added...parafin wax suspended in styrene....the wax surfaces just before it goes off and leaves the surface dry...unlike unwaxed resin it will go off and remain tacky...thats so the next coat will stick with a mechanical bond....so filler resin must be sanded so as the next coat will stick...basically what I am saying is... if its tacky it will stick if it aint you have to sand it

boxes fin plugs and leg rope plugs go in next...with an assortment of jigs routers and drills...check my behemouth router...its a dinosaur..its been with me from the start...total overkill but nothing can stop it

all holes cut neatly then masked up ready to insert

resin is mixed with a little chopped up cloth and in they go...this is probably the worst time for the customer to see their board...they are diamonds in the rough here and its hard for some people to see the finished product...next hat I don is that of the sander...imo the unsung hero of the whole build...a good sander will fine tune a board a bad sander can ruin everything

BulldogPup
6657 posts
30 Aug 2012 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Thats mighty bloody impressive RG , so well described - cheers for tonights tuition

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
30 Aug 2012 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

WOW this is clearly the BEST ALL TIME post in seabreeze longboard history.

RG feel free to touch base,I'm hooked wonderful I clap my hands

smh
NSW, 7269 posts
30 Aug 2012 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

Nice looking board. I like the colour.

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
30 Aug 2012 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

welcome back

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
30 Aug 2012 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

smh said...

Nice looking board. I like the colour.

its more gold in the flesh...I tnink the neon lights are making it look different.

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
30 Aug 2012 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

BulldogPup said...

Thats mighty bloody impressive RG , so well described - cheers for tonights tuition

your next mate

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
30 Aug 2012 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

arkgee said...

62mac said...

welcome back

So when's my home grown hand made by the one guy coming

Seriously loving this thread and thanks RG.

PS bump PUP I want mine NOW

BulldogPup
6657 posts
30 Aug 2012 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

arkgee said...

62mac said...

welcome back

So when's my home grown hand made by the one guy coming

Seriously loving this thread and thanks RG.

PS bump PUP I want mine NOW

We can do this for you Lege - we'll see the other big man from Coffs and sort you righteous , pretty easy & simple choice really ask Taz

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
30 Aug 2012 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

Bob is going to be so piss-d

BulldogPup
6657 posts
30 Aug 2012 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

Bob is going to be so piss-d

Dunno bout that mate - think Bob would give an arm and a leg (and probbly half his pecker ) to have RG in his bay "a-shapin and a tintin" ...... wait till you see these sweet sweet fins mate geez

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
30 Aug 2012 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

and so are the days of my life,I can't wait for the finish and the PUP start

GPA
WA, 2519 posts
30 Aug 2012 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

+1 really enjoying this thread - learning heaps, and although I'll probably never put it to practice, I am glad to know how it is done - and done well !!

towball
4627 posts
31 Aug 2012 3:40AM
Thumbs Up

Being a bit of a pig here RG be great if you post some of Pups too (I know pain in the arse )) bloody great post mate

arkgee said...

BulldogPup said...

your next mate

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"whats happening in the Goddard shed" started by arkgee