31 Aug 2012 7:47PM
Thumbs Up

wifes got me jumping through hoops...will post soon

BulldogPup
6657 posts
31 Aug 2012 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

towball said...

Being a bit of a pig here RG be great if you post some of Pups too (I know pain in the arse )) bloody great post mate
arkgee said...

BulldogPup said...

Thats mighty bloody impressive RG , so well described - cheers for tonights tuition

your next mate

they is a coming TB Taz's ladyhawk takes priority ..... then there might just be someone else's to follow just might be you know ,,, hehehehehe

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
31 Aug 2012 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

Yours is next pup

Daneli
QLD, 1538 posts
31 Aug 2012 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

arkgee said...

"Surfs up" would have been a much better reply !

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
31 Aug 2012 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Just received an email from RG with a picture of my new fin - I am super excited about it so thought I should stick it in this thread.....now I just need to hurry up and get onto making my board! It was made by his mate and is based on their summercloud template. Top bloke to deal with.

BulldogPup
6657 posts
31 Aug 2012 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

Ted the Kiwi said...

Just received an email from RG with a picture of my new fin - I am super excited about it so thought I should stick it in this thread.....now I just need to hurry up and get onto making my board! It was made by his mate and is based on their summercloud template. Top bloke to deal with.

yeah superb aren't they mate - I'm having one too

Tassiedevel
TAS, 2249 posts
31 Aug 2012 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

Nice Ted what size did you get?

chrispychru
QLD, 7932 posts
31 Aug 2012 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^that is beautiful

Tassiedevel
TAS, 2249 posts
31 Aug 2012 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

BulldogPup said...

Select to expand quote
62mac said...

arkgee said...

62mac said...

So when's my home grown hand made by the one guy coming

Seriously loving this thread and thanks RG.

PS bump PUP I want mine NOW
pretty easy & simple choice really ask Taz

Horto11
202 posts
31 Aug 2012 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

arkgee said...

^^^^^ha ha very similar jb...deck goes on now..2 layers of six ounce

Loving the thread - still wondering what the gimble things hanging on the wall are. They are in the first shot where RG is starting the glassing and trimming the nearly cured glass.....

BulldogPup
6657 posts
31 Aug 2012 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

Tassiedevel said...

BulldogPup said...

Select to expand quote
62mac said...

arkgee said...

62mac said...

So when's my home grown hand made by the one guy coming

Seriously loving this thread and thanks RG.

PS bump PUP I want mine NOW
pretty easy & simple choice really ask Taz

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
31 Aug 2012 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Pup free please

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
31 Aug 2012 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

what we have now is an uncut diamond..so all the facets have to be shaped...like I said before a bad sander can totally ruin the board at this stage and all the computer nerds in the world have not come up with a machine to do this stage...not to my knowledge anyway....I attack it with 30grit on the grinder first...this is a bit gung ho if your just starting out...I just take off the bulk of the excess resin around the fin box and plugs

then a medium density sanding pad with 60grit paper...again a bit gung ho if your not used to the machine...I love the way the 60grit rips into it it will take of any high spots in one swipe...I have my stands set up so I can hold the board on about a 45 degree angle...I find it easier to see the shiny spots, and thats what sanding is all about...much like shadows in the shaping...shiny spots play the same role in sanding...when all the shiny's are gone the board is true

here is what I mean...in this shot I have sanded up to my chine rail...you can see the edge of the chine real easy because the filler is still shiny on the other side of the chine

now in this shot I have sanded up to the chine from the rail inwards...you can see where I have left the little shiny line to show me where the chine is...all done with mirrors....and shadows

its all about control of the tools...everyone I have taught to shape over the years...I have said the same when we start...I can show you my technique...but its all in how well you can use the tools...together with a shipload of patience...like the planer this baby becomes an extension to your arm after awhile

this machine is a lot more user friendly and is the one you should do the most with...the orbital I will put finer paper on this to finish off

I even use it to rough out the rails

then the last bit and the most grueling...the hand sanding...this is where we fine tune all the edges and get all the machine swirls out notice I am using my left hand...Im right handed but over the years I have taught myself to use both..it works really well for keeping things symetrical...I can look down both rails from the same angle both sides, it has helped my shaping heaps over the years and is now something I dont even think about...reminds me of the joke..." I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous"...thats it...ready for pinlines, then finish coat and polish...not long now Tassie

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
31 Aug 2012 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

Horto11 said...

arkgee said...

^^^^^ha ha very similar jb...deck goes on now..2 layers of six ounce

Loving the thread - still wondering what the gimble things hanging on the wall are. They are in the first shot where RG is starting the glassing and trimming the nearly cured glass.....

sorry horto Ive been too busy to answer...and besides that could be a whole other thread... they are moulds for laying up the bazaar looking fin (white) thats on top of them....a crazy tunnel fin I was playing with a few years back.

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
31 Aug 2012 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Daneli said...

arkgee said...

"Surfs up" would have been a much better reply !

if the surfs up you will get no reply

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
31 Aug 2012 9:50PM
Thumbs Up

here you go pup...managed to rough yours out today

thats me doing the human lamington personation

security were on their break...gotta love a good spoon

BulldogPup
6657 posts
31 Aug 2012 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

arkgee said...

here you go pup...managed to rough yours out today

thats me doing the human lamington personation

security were on their break...gotta love a good spoon

man that looks like the shizzz RG - I do love that shape , fark I got it right first go , geez if you had tits mate I'd give ya a good roll in the sack......

Sensational stuff RG - thanks heaps mate & good to speak to you this arvo again too!

Pup D

Horto11
202 posts
31 Aug 2012 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Ron. Did not mean to give you a hurry along sorry, you are super busy I can see. Was just thinking my post might have got a bit buried in all the cool photos

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
31 Aug 2012 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

Going the pin Pupwhat dims againTint or spray what size centre fin

BulldogPup
6657 posts
31 Aug 2012 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Yes rounded > 903 x 22 1/2" x 2 3/4" > one of RG's delicious nice Resin art sprays (tint log next) > yummy 7 or 8 inch tinted woodie

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
31 Aug 2012 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

BulldogPup said...

Yes rounded > 903 x 22 1/2" x 2 3/4" > one of RG's delicious nice Resin art sprays (tint log next) > yummy 7 or 8 inch tinted woodie

Go 7 1/2 Pup

BulldogPup
6657 posts
31 Aug 2012 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

done then go the Islander with tweaks mate

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
3 Sep 2012 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

arkgee
NSW, 639 posts
3 Sep 2012 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

getting close now thrill seekers time to lay down the tape for the pinline...run one down both sides...smooth long lines no bumps

follow that line...I have a thickness that I am comfortable with so I will normally stick to that one width...actually its more comfortable for me to taper the width from nose to tail dont know why it just is

roll down the edges of the tape...very important...masking tape is pressure sensitive...it needs some pressure to stop paint from bleeding underneath...then mask off with masking paper...you will still get over spray...I just take it back into the sanding room and sand it off

mix required colour...turn gun pressure down and spray two coats

this is the best part...peel the tape

gold tint brown pinline (still looks yellow?)

dimensions for the dimension freaks and its ready for my mate John to gloss and polish...its off on a little adventure tomorrow...over the other side of the mountain
I love the next bit

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
3 Sep 2012 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic so what's riders weight

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
3 Sep 2012 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

Oh RG that is starting to look like one hell of a nice board.....loving this thread even more now - Tassie must be frothing

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
3 Sep 2012 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

62mac said...

Fantastic so what's riders weight

not much by the look of it

BulldogPup
6657 posts
3 Sep 2012 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

wonderful RG - nice tip with the pinline tape roller , must admit I've been waiting for your mate John's part in the play .... should be interesting bloody interesting

Edit : bet taz has a fat

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Longboarding

"whats happening in the Goddard shed" started by arkgee