Forums > Surfing Shortboards

Dolphin killed at Mettams

Created by Zuke > 9 months ago, 2 Jan 2013
Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
7 Jan 2013 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

subasurf said...
Google scholar is great, but it's hardly a drop in the ocean with what it gives you access too. Most of the peer reviewed papers require authorized (expensive) access to view them.

There are so many papers on shark research out there that are not available through google scholar. Personally I wish peer reviewed journal papers were free for all to view, but sadly, they aren't.

Sometimes you can get copies of journal papers just by googling the title, but google scholar certainly doesn't give you access to a whole lot. But it's an awesome concept.

Suba if you are logged on under your University servers / on campus you should be able to see almost all the papers on google scholar if your library is a subscriber to those journals. Free press is a nice concept but is littered with other issues.....I use scholar all day long and pretty much never have an issue downloading anything I want / need. If I can not get access to a particular journal I normally fire off an email to a mate at another Uni and they can get it for me immediately. You can always do inter-library loans but thats so yesterday

Instead of using the old fashioned lIbrary search engines scholar makes life a 1,000 times more efficient and it also allows you to download your ref's straight into Endnote - which makes referencing at least a 1,000 times faster than the old days. Google Scholar has to be one of the best things I have come across for my work. Get involved

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
7 Jan 2013 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Ted, yeah my uni pass works on google scholar

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
7 Jan 2013 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

subasurf said...

FARK it's like been at friggin school again

rbl
WA, 153 posts
7 Jan 2013 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

The people can have the information they desire. Most good papers will be published. Scholar google is awesome. Papers will have a summary description so you know what you're getting.

It's not just the uni lecturers that can get this info, you can too. Papers from all countries can be published meaning you're not restricted to WA scientific papers

If someone disagrees then it is their desire to keep the masses in the dark.

Stuba will be using scholar to get some of his researched info.

If you can't get some papers through a uni try through work or just pay some $

Haven't checked spelling again stuba

soleman
WA, 280 posts
7 Jan 2013 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

doggie said...
subasurf said...

FARK it's like been at friggin school again

yeah no s**t ey, plenty of good points thrown around but amazing what a couple (or maybe one ) person with tunnel vision sunnies can do to f**k a reasonable conversation, does anything else happen in WA apart from sharks, shark sightings, arguing about sharks and shark sightings and shark growth and shark and shark and shark and shark.........

bakesy
WA, 682 posts
7 Jan 2013 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

hey soley went fishing offshore today, know what we caught? Yes Doggie bit like school, hope we don't have to do the cross country course or get caned for not doing our homework

beastsurf
WA, 902 posts
7 Jan 2013 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Personally I think any money spent on research patrols towers pools and anything that enhances the beach is money well spent. It might not be the right solution but I suppose they are trying. The more people become involved the better. I must admit some of my comments have been reactive. Apparently there was confirmed sightings at Trigg and Scabs again today. Surely its the same group of tigers that has been hanging around?

soleman
WA, 280 posts
7 Jan 2013 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

bakesy said...
hey soley went fishing offshore today, know what we caught? Yes Doggie bit like school, hope we don't have to do the cross country course or get caned for not doing our homework

Dolphin?? haha what type of shark? hopefully for you a small brozie or gummie

bakesy
WA, 682 posts
7 Jan 2013 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

HD for you and you didn't use Google scholar either

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1403 posts
7 Jan 2013 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

Is it my phone or is something strange going on with some peoples avatars. Mine seems to have changed to mickpc's and his seems to have changed to jb shacks....?!!!

Mask
WA, 293 posts
7 Jan 2013 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

Guess who???

soleman
WA, 280 posts
8 Jan 2013 6:59AM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^^^^pretty funny!!!!!

rbl
WA, 153 posts
8 Jan 2013 7:53AM
Thumbs Up

lets drop the shark discussions. If you want marine ecosystem information try scholar google. If you venture to the kite surf forum they are doing down winders from Lanno to Wedge and surfing (well sort of) all the offshore reefs and beaches along the way; while this forum rants about sharks like a bunch of old women.
Flame away.

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
8 Jan 2013 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

Sad thing is, if it weren't for sharks, the seabreeze shortboards forum wouldn't even still be alive. Nothing else ever gets discussed except for people posting in the daily report section and red thumbing everyone who had a good sesh.

anyhoo:

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
8 Jan 2013 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

subasurf said...
Sad thing is, if it weren't for sharks, the seabreeze shortboards forum wouldn't even still be alive.

You could always bitch about longboarders

True tho,but this topic is a good read.
I'm sure ACA reported there were more shark attacks on the east coast than the west.

bakesy
WA, 682 posts
8 Jan 2013 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

cull order issued for Dunsborough, drum lines in the water and mixed feelings for me.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
8 Jan 2013 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

bakesy said...
Yes Doggie bit like school, hope we don't have to do the cross country course or get caned for not doing our homework

far king cross country, hated that!!

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
8 Jan 2013 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

bakesy said...
cull order issued for Dunsborough, drum lines in the water and mixed feelings for me.

Where did you read that?

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
8 Jan 2013 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

mickeeH said...
doggie said...
bakesy said...

Where did you read that?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/15781202/first-kill-order-for-sw-sharks/

Cheers Mick

I wonder how many other species are going to be killed as well

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
8 Jan 2013 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

This is what I don't get;
"Senior fisheries officials have previously made it clear that the capture/kill orders were being used as a last resort, when all other measures to protect members of the public had been exhausted."

So, closing the beach to swimmers isn't an option?
I can understand killing a shark that has chased swimmers/surfers in, circled people or is still posing an immediate threat to people in the water...but given that there risk can easily be avoided now, why go ahead with a kill order? There clearly isn't an imminent threat now.

Instead, they set baited lines that will only lure sharks towards the coast. Also, really, what are the chances that they will catch the exact shark(s) they are after? Dolphins are commonly caught on these kind of baited lines; how would the general beach goers react if that happened. If it did, I doubt the public would be informed.

Seems to me that if you have been made aware of a shark in the area for some time, and no one has been immediately threatened by it, then a kill order is over the top.

EDIT: Even the report prepared for the Dept. of Fisheries recommends against it:
"Due to the environmental impacts of shark control activities, it is not recommended that either shark
nets of drum-lines be introduced into Western Australia. "

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
8 Jan 2013 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

subasurf said...
This is what I don't get;
"Senior fisheries officials have previously made it clear that the capture/kill orders were being used as a last resort, when all other measures to protect members of the public had been exhausted."

So, closing the beach to swimmers isn't an option?
I can understand killing a shark that has chased swimmers/surfers in, circled people or is still posing an immediate threat to people in the water...but given that there risk can easily be avoided now, why go ahead with a kill order? There clearly isn't an imminent threat now.

Instead, they set baited lines that will only lure sharks towards the coast. Also, really, what are the chances that they will catch the exact shark(s) they are after? Dolphins are commonly caught on these kind of baited lines; how would the general beach goers react if that happened. If it did, I doubt the public would be informed.

Seems to me that if you have been made aware of a shark in the area for some time, and no one has been immediately threatened by it, then a kill order is over the top.

I think drum lines are the worst method they could possibly think of, there must be a better way

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
8 Jan 2013 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

I'm not familiar with the actual drum line setup they use here, but ones have been developed that send out an alert when an animal has been hooked.

IF we had those then we could set the drum lines, attempt to free by catch, and even get a good opportunity to tag the White Sharks and then attempt to drive them out of the area.

Setting baited hooks and just waiting to see what happens isn't going to really be all that effective at protecting swimmers in the long run and just, in my opinion, represents a wasted opportunity and is potentially destructive in the process.

beastsurf
WA, 902 posts
8 Jan 2013 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

Well we cant winge about the government not doing anything anymore. Lucky we can still winge about what they are doing. Hopefully this action will spread to other areas populated by humans that use the ocean and require protection.

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
8 Jan 2013 11:43AM
Thumbs Up

Tony Capuletti?? from fisheries was on the radio this morning explaining the kill order. The justification given was that a group of Whites have been hanging in close off unpatrolled beaches in the northern capes region and due to the fact that the beaches are unpatrolled and heavily utilised, authorities are unable to clear the water when the shark(s) are a threat.

I have no problem with knocking a couple on the head as long as the carcase is put to good use and studied.

And once again the shark in question was quoted as being in the 3-4m size range.....
maybe I'm not the only one who thinks we may have a "problem" shark?

rbl
WA, 153 posts
8 Jan 2013 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

Suba, the man with a spear gun in his left hand and a bow in his right hand, shouting conservation and animal cruelty.

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
8 Jan 2013 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

RBL, the man with an IQ lower than his age, shouting typically pointless rubbish and failing to contribute to any discussions on seabreeze.

rbl
WA, 153 posts
8 Jan 2013 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

Scuba, surely u can see that u may appear hypocritical???
If you can't then maybe you're throwing stones in glass houses re IQ

I'm over the shark topic so stop blowing your own trumpet.

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
8 Jan 2013 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

If you're over the topic, why the **** do you keep posting in it?

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1403 posts
8 Jan 2013 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

subasurf said...
RBL, the man with an IQ lower than his age, shouting typically pointless rubbish and failing to contribute to any discussions on seabreeze.

IQ's aside, even if you do have a high IQ Suba (which I seriously doubt) you will still remain a twat.
Get over yourself.

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
8 Jan 2013 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

Just yesterday were you not having a sook about people not playing nice? [}:)]

No you're right. We should all just be like RBL and contribute little one sentence pieces of dribble that are neither coherent nor relevant.

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"Dolphin killed at Mettams" started by Zuke