Forums > Surfing Shortboards

First trip to Bali - Feb 2011

Created by raynef2005 > 9 months ago, 14 Jan 2011
raynef2005
QLD, 159 posts
14 Jan 2011 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys, I'm heading over to Bali with my girlfriend for the first time in Feb. Three questions,

Should we hire a car?

Should we hop over to Sumbawa to find better, less crowded waves? Yo yo's looks the goods as it's super consistent. Are the reefs that side super sharp/shallow? gotto take into account my intermediate-level girlfriend

Can anyone also reccommend good, cheap accomm in bali and in the South-West of Sumbawa?

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
14 Jan 2011 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

Yea you can hire a car, the traffic mad compared to here tho!!

You can still find uncrowded waves in Bali and if you have a car or bike you will find them.

Cant answer #3 sorry...

spot1
WA, 1588 posts
14 Jan 2011 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

Frist trip to bali
1) get a driver ... you want get lost THEY ARE CHEAP AND GOOD FUN
2)wrong time of the year for sumb
3)east coast at that time of the year ask the driver were
4)dont do drugs or ride scooters
5) bali green hotel in tuban is well priced but what the hell stay at the holiday inn
your girl will love you long time for it
6) base yourselfs in tuban makes it easy for KR or a trip up the east coast

raynef2005
QLD, 159 posts
14 Jan 2011 3:58PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys, good advice. So spot, you reckon it will be rubbish at Sumbawa? West wind or something destroy it? I really just want to get away from the chaos of Bali. Unless you reckon the waves will be the best this way

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
14 Jan 2011 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

spot1 said...

Frist trip to bali
5) bali green hotel in tuban is well priced but what the hell stay at the holiday inn

Who knows? Spot knows

spot1
WA, 1588 posts
14 Jan 2011 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

www.baliwaves.com

did i say dont do drugs and dont drive or ride scooters
also when at the airport in bali let the boys take your bags you will get out faster and will only cost 50,000rp
good thing about bali SERVICE SERVICE somthing you dont get here so it will feel strange at first but just go with it

1joe
WA, 156 posts
14 Jan 2011 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

spot1 said...

Frist trip to bali

WTF is wrong with the drugs and scooters in Bali?????

1joe
WA, 156 posts
14 Jan 2011 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Doggie, when did you go?
Did ya visit the spot i PM'ed ya bout?

Torch
WA, 521 posts
15 Jan 2011 7:08AM
Thumbs Up

AP inn on poppies lane $20 a night. basic popular with young backpackers, has a pool, bar and breakfast included, but like the other guys said, spend the $40 a night at nice hotel and she'll be nuzzling your scrotum for the whole trip.

I havnt had a problem with riding the scooters around Bali, would rather ride than drive, but I know alot of people who have been hurt because of scooters....

The wet season so monsoon swell from the East, hit up nusa dua and places on that side

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
15 Jan 2011 9:41AM
Thumbs Up

1joe said...

Hey Doggie, when did you go?
Did ya visit the spot i PM'ed ya bout?

Na, that was probably the worst trip to Bali that I've done, small swell x-shore alot, did alot of drinking & jigy jig tho so that made up for it I guess!! Goin to surfers at the end of Feb so that should be fun.

newguy
654 posts
15 Jan 2011 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

Watch your food and hygeine over there mate. Just on the news -> outbreak of legionaires disease from ppl coming home from bali...

Yeh nothing beats the news when your pulling off a fruity colored deckgrip off your new secondhand board...

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
16 Jan 2011 6:50AM
Thumbs Up

On your first trip I would suggest your use a driver,you wont get lost and they know where to go,cost can be 300.000 for the day,hire a scooter for your around town trips you'll save a heap of time and can pull over whenever you like,cost 30.000 per day.

As others have said the traffic around town can be a pain, specially around sunset.

You best option is the east coast but you will find a wave on the west side as well.

For a good Sunday session,hit up Echo Beach,like the old beer garden day's and at the turn off you will see a new building called Duece which has a great shop,live music and top food on Friday Saturday nights.

I was over there Dec and as newguy mentioned,take care,I picked up something as I have felt crock since my return.
I'll be over there from the 11th to the 25 Feb.

Enjoy

Enjoy

theDoctor
NSW, 5778 posts
16 Jan 2011 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

lombok, jump ferry to kuta lombok, less people, heaps of waves, cheaper, lots of 'shrooms

then stop at gilli on the way back, good vibe, awesome parties, no paddys bar type bogan aussies chanting oi oi oi, cheap accom, good diving, fickle but fun waves, lots more 'shrooms

Torch
WA, 521 posts
18 Jan 2011 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

theDoctor said...

lombok, jump ferry to kuta lombok, less people, heaps of waves, cheaper, lots of 'shrooms

then stop at gilli on the way back, good vibe, awesome parties, no paddys bar type bogan aussies chanting oi oi oi, cheap accom, good diving, fickle but fun waves, lots more 'shrooms

Yep you nailed it Doc!, doing it all again this July

thommo 000
1670 posts
18 Jan 2011 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

^^hehehe
you can also fly with Merpati airline from Bali to Lombok and get a ferry over to Sumbawa. There's a good hotel where you can stay that's close to yoyo's and a couple of other breaks..can't remember the name but it's right near the beach.

trevor1
WA, 598 posts
18 Jan 2011 2:45PM
Thumbs Up

Torch said...

AP inn on poppies lane $20 a night. basic popular with young backpackers, has a pool, bar and breakfast included, but like the other guys said, spend the $40 a night at nice hotel and she'll be nuzzling your scrotum for the whole trip.

I havnt had a problem with riding the scooters around Bali, would rather ride than drive, but I know alot of people who have been hurt because of scooters....

The wet season so monsoon swell from the East, hit up nusa dua and places on that side

Hotel won't make a difference. She is either a scrotum-nuzzler, or she isn't!!!

1joe
WA, 156 posts
18 Jan 2011 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Hotel won't make a difference. She is either a scrotum-nuzzler, or she isn't!!!

Im not sure, but I think I like chicks who scrotum nuzzle...
Those are smiley faces that have had thier scrotum's nuzzled!

Def grab a scooter. They are gold over there. Make sure you dont leave any stones unturned. Have a very good look around and remember tides are important over there. A spot can look like crap in the morning but then is firing in the arvo!!

roachy
NSW, 383 posts
22 Jan 2011 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

Do you need an international licence, for bike and car there

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
22 Jan 2011 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

sure do

1joe
WA, 156 posts
22 Jan 2011 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

green menace said...

Do you need an international licence, for bike and car there

The bribe is cheaper than the cost of the int. drivers licence!

Not if you get done 3 times in 1 trip tho....

Anyone know where you can get the visa's from in perth? I know you can gettem here, just dont know exactly where. Then there's no long cues to look forward to at the visa counter when you get there.

raynef2005
QLD, 159 posts
22 Jan 2011 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

Do you need visas for bali? Can't you just rock up and pay at the counter when you get to the other side?

1joe
WA, 156 posts
22 Jan 2011 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah you can, but if theres been a few planes that have come in at the same time the cue to buy one can be a f'ken nightmare.
You can buy one from somewhere, I'm presuming the indo embassy or something, then you can skip that stage and go straight to customs.
I've never done it before but I have talked to people in Indo that have.

spot1
WA, 1588 posts
25 Jan 2011 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

saw this in the GD
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/General-Discussion/Chat/surfing-sumbawa-indonesia/

raynef2005
QLD, 159 posts
27 Jan 2011 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks mate that sounds really good. $5 a night haha awesome. I'm getting excited!

raynef2005
QLD, 159 posts
2 Feb 2011 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

So, I keep frothing over this on google earth. I know its unlikely that I will get a lot of swell while I am over there, but I need to visit this little gem. It's on the South coast of sumbawa. It's apparently quite hard to get to. The only information I have found is that the town has a 'great righthander'. has anyone explored the depths of sumbawa this far?

raynef2005
QLD, 159 posts
28 Feb 2011 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

So, just got home from the indo trip last week. Pics to follow soon.

You guys were right, nothing to see in Sumbawa in the off season. Keep moving

raynef2005
QLD, 159 posts
1 Mar 2011 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

Here we go

Ados
WA, 421 posts
1 Mar 2011 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

That is sick. especially the last few. the color of the water is awesome.

well done!!

raynef2005
QLD, 159 posts
2 Mar 2011 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks mate, was well worth it! That left is so much fun

Ados
WA, 421 posts
2 Mar 2011 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

If you dont mind me asking, where did you stay and did you take the missus?

Me and the better half are looking to go in August/Sept (depending on leave situation)
and wondered if you stayed in a nice place. I showed her your photos and she got fired up and suggested our trip - so I owe you one there too

cheers

Ado

raynef2005
QLD, 159 posts
2 Mar 2011 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

PM sent Ados

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"First trip to Bali - Feb 2011" started by raynef2005