Forums > Surfing Shortboards

Legions surf report :: Daily updates..

Created by doggie > 9 months ago, 23 Apr 2010
Buster fin
WA, 2573 posts
2 Sep 2012 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

Indeed Mocha! Quite a nice crew of surfers out today (apart from Mr Nearly-take-my-head-off-as-take-off-goes-pear-shaped-drop-in-long-boarder).
I wonder if any Bweezers happened to be around... we need Free-masonesque secret Seabreeze body language and corresponding response.

sparki
WA, 410 posts
2 Sep 2012 11:30PM
Thumbs Up

had a what you might call, 'pleasant' session today. went to a (slightly) offshore metro reef to see if i could manage a reefie barrel. i have a sup, so i know what its like from both shortboard and sup perspectives to be in the same lineup. i generally try to catch the smaller and stuff thats forming a different way - away from the middle of the lineup if im on a sup. these sups were catching a wave from every set, and often catching it far earlier out and flying through the lineup! there about 3 or 4 of them vs about 6-8 shortboards. and im pretty sure the sups were getting a way higher wave count that all of us put together. im certain i was not the only frustrated/pissed off surfer in that lineup. some etiquette really goes a lonnggggg way!

i gave up and paddled in to the reef near beach the and had much more fun in the shifting peaks. shame the northerly came in so early. it was also simply amazing how many bodies were out between the cott groins. didnt see the northern beachies but they must have been insane too.

Souwester
WA, 1259 posts
3 Sep 2012 1:39PM
Thumbs Up

Was north of the big smoke over the weekend doinga bit of fishing and drinking with mates, was very surprised to see a wave on the beach that I have never really seen break before.

A lucky few had over head wedgy beach break bliss all to them selves til the eventual onshore took hold, was fun to watch. Some crackers coming through between the straightish ones. Saw a few beatings as well.

sparki
WA, 410 posts
3 Sep 2012 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone game for tomorrow??

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
3 Sep 2012 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

sparki said...

Have fun with that.

Hamsta
505 posts
3 Sep 2012 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

1st Groyne, Rous Head, Cott Main or Ocean Reef Marina?

Zuke
901 posts
3 Sep 2012 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

sparki said...

I'll let you know if I see suba in his boardies at Trigg 2nds.

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
3 Sep 2012 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Hamsta said...

Spots

WTF?

mocha1
WA, 932 posts
3 Sep 2012 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

not really that secret are they

Torch
WA, 521 posts
3 Sep 2012 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

This a photo that my mate took on Saturday of un-named surfer

ps apparently he didnt make it and got a serious flogging

soleman
WA, 280 posts
3 Sep 2012 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Siick photo torch, i woke up still a bit dizzy from friday night and missed it. had to put on my leavers bar tab. (300 bucks for four blokes on happy hour/s) uuuuurrrrggghh!!! Faaark got a story to tell from that night another day!!

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
3 Sep 2012 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

mocha1 said...

Sometimes there are novelty spots right under people's noses that only work a day or two a year or for a couple of hours in certain conditions and that you can still score uncrowded. When I was a grom, the place I met doggie the other day you could get with one, two others mid day on a weekend. Nowadays it's 20+ mid week. If a place is like Scabs or Trigg and works hundreds of days a year with plenty of peaks no problem. If it's like inner Mindarie marina boatramps and only works on a rare north-circling-west-circling-south swell with a SSE wind then best to keep things quiet.

E.g. I'm regretting working today - there would've been a couple of places firing about lunchtime for an hour or two. I've already said too much.

bakesy
WA, 682 posts
3 Sep 2012 10:16PM
Thumbs Up

inner Mindarie marina boatramps, that would go down as the rarest of all Legion, nice work mate, I reckon a few might actually believe you Had a look on Fathers Day under the premise of going for a walk with the kids, spotted a rare convergence of conditions at a spot I'd surfed a few years back, went back for the board and upon return(15mins) three guys were on it, all Dad's with an arvo leave pass!!

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
3 Sep 2012 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

sparki said...

Yep. Except I'm gonna chuck a sail up

Hamsta
505 posts
3 Sep 2012 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Legion said...

Hamsta said...

Spots

WTF?

Well, I didn't mention the 3 other options.

Spots I mentioned are not secret, by any stretch of the imagination, and one will probably be closed to swimmers and surfers by the Ranger and teh others will probably have more weed floating around the place than a Crosby, Stills and Nash concert.

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
4 Sep 2012 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

sparki said...

I'll be checking out some spots this evening assuming I get enough work done today.
There's gotta be some spots that offer some okay shelter from the wind.

Otherwise I wont be in the water till Thursday

Hamsta
505 posts
4 Sep 2012 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

mocha1 said...

No..they are not and they haven't been for 15+ years

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
4 Sep 2012 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

bakesy said...

inner Mindarie marina boatramps, that would go down as the rarest of all Legion, nice work mate, I reckon a few might actually believe you Had a look on Fathers Day under the premise of going for a walk with the kids, spotted a rare convergence of conditions at a spot I'd surfed a few years back, went back for the board and upon return(15mins) three guys were on it, all Dad's with an arvo leave pass!!

Watch out for GW's in the Mindarie marina

katana
WA, 644 posts
4 Sep 2012 1:17PM
Thumbs Up

hey jb where and when was that shot taken

Torch
WA, 521 posts
4 Sep 2012 2:09PM
Thumbs Up

mako...

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
4 Sep 2012 2:18PM
Thumbs Up

katana said...

hey jb where and when was that shot taken

20th January this year. Just to the East of A and B gate house. Or just about 100 meters west of the Ramp. It was a Great White and was actually chasing around the Mullet. It was just doing a 18o degree turn. The manager of the marina took the shot on his phone. Only about 2.5 mtrs but still put chills up his spine

About the same time we had a few seals hanging around on the rocks as well..

Mdsurf
WA, 25 posts
4 Sep 2012 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

Rotto swell at 6m. Looking pretty harsh out there in howling on shores.

Hamsta
505 posts
4 Sep 2012 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

If the wind swings SW a certain place that rarely breaks could be great fun tomorrow. Need a bicycle though.

PaddlePig
WA, 421 posts
4 Sep 2012 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Really? The only place I know that's near me that used to crank in winds this strong but swells this big got filled in by sand. Literally.

Hamsta
505 posts
4 Sep 2012 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

Hey PaddlePig, totally off topic but you avatar always cracks me up. Something about the expression on the pigs face, or a case of 'small things amuse [my] small minds'

PaddlePig
WA, 421 posts
4 Sep 2012 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

Haha cheers bloke.

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
4 Sep 2012 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

There were some rideable waves on the Ch7 news in the river ...

sparki
WA, 410 posts
4 Sep 2012 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Legion said...

probably had more shape than your average perth beachie too.

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
4 Sep 2012 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

Legion said...

Lucky SUPers eh.

sparki
WA, 410 posts
5 Sep 2012 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

checked out cott today. no one there and rightly so. no banks. would love to be updated if it gets better at all!

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"Legions surf report :: Daily updates.." started by doggie