Forums > Surfing Shortboards

Legions surf report :: Daily updates..

Created by doggie > 9 months ago, 23 Apr 2010
smicko
WA, 2503 posts
2 Feb 2013 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Wish I'd had a lobby on me in retrospect, would've been worth $20 to sit in airconditioned comfort with a coldie whilst those boobies massaged the Landy.

LateStarter
WA, 589 posts
7 Feb 2013 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

Did a half hour this morning at Perth's favourite Beachie.

Was sloppy and waist high at best, closing out in water less than a foot deep. 50-odd blokes out and angry little men on boogie boards challenging others to fights on the beach.

The Summer Bummer continues...

sparki
WA, 410 posts
7 Feb 2013 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

LateStarter said...
angry little men on boogie boards challenging others to fights on the beach.

haha, it's quite nice on occasions like this not to have to work. got down at 9.30, still not great waves, but better than we've had recently. i was slightly further down from the point for a few hours. seems the unwritten rules have specifically changed for the point.

You either:
1). Drop in on someone and then check behind to see if they're still there. If they are, do a half assed attempt at bailing - almost wiping out the other guy anyway. Meanwhile the wave has run off into the distance either way.

2). Drop in on someone, but don't check behind. Keep on pumping, just trying to avoid the noses of oncoming potential dropper inners boards.

Just my observations.

LateStarter
WA, 589 posts
7 Feb 2013 6:10PM
Thumbs Up

sparki said...

Just my observations.

You forgot one:

3). Rock up to the beach and pay no attention to the blokes waiting patiently in the lineup for the last hour. Paddle straight to the inside. Take off on the first wave that comes and hurl abuse at anyone who drops in. Paddle back to the inside and repeat.

sparki
WA, 410 posts
7 Feb 2013 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

LateStarter said...
sparki said...

Just my observations.

waiting patiently in the lineup for the last hour

no one waits matey. it's the one furthest out on the shoulder that rides the wave to the end (what little end there is left). which is usually a closeout...

or am i being a little harsh?

i actually don't think i am. for this time of year anyway. at the beginning of my session, there were three body boarders to my right (when facing the beach). i caught a right hander (in their direction). the two of them see me coming and third one doesn't seem to/doesn't want to. the two of them actively urge him not to go in the fear of him getting a plank of fibreglass to the head. he goes anyway. the wave goes for about 5 metres before petering out. the entire time i'm there on his heels. no chance he couldn't tell i was there. wave ends, i paddle back up to where i was with not a word from him. cheeky d*ck. lucky i'm a tolerant guy.

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
8 Feb 2013 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

My favourite manoeuvre in that situation is "hungry lion leaps on gazelle". However, the same thing happened to me last night with an ancient bodysurfer and hungry lion let it slide.

I can't really comment on these topics since I'm one of the greediest, most selfish surfers in the water. However, whatever I do say you can take as gospel because I'm always correct.

There's one young guy who rips who was out last night, a former club champ. He never pushes for priority and always sits on the shoulder or further in or down the beach a bit. And yet, he gets heaps of waves and tears them to bits. I wish I was like him.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
8 Feb 2013 12:26PM
Thumbs Up

sparki said...
LateStarter said...
sparki said...

Just my observations.

waiting patiently in the lineup for the last hour

no one waits matey. it's the one furthest out on the shoulder that rides the wave to the end (what little end there is left). which is usually a closeout...

or am i being a little harsh?

i actually don't think i am. for this time of year anyway. at the beginning of my session, there were three body boarders to my right (when facing the beach). i caught a right hander (in their direction). the two of them see me coming and third one doesn't seem to/doesn't want to. the two of them actively urge him not to go in the fear of him getting a plank of fibreglass to the head. he goes anyway. the wave goes for about 5 metres before petering out. the entire time i'm there on his heels. no chance he couldn't tell i was there. wave ends, i paddle back up to where i was with not a word from him. cheeky d*ck. lucky i'm a tolerant guy.

A few weeks back i jumped onto a Boogers back. Not whole body just arms and torso onto him as he dropped in on me after i'd been going for a while already..Im not sure who got the bigger shock. Him or his mates I just laughed it off and said haha caught ya Paddled back out laughing and it didn't happen again. To be far for this guy he was new and it was a genuine mistake but everyone saw it and got the hint

I havnt surfed for a week so even a bit of agro in the water would be nice

thommo 000
1670 posts
8 Feb 2013 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

Just a heads up to any kiters, windsurfers, sups, divers, surfers and anyone else.

The last couple of days there's been a big white pointer (17') spotted feeding of the Bowes River mouth and some crew fishing in a runabout hooked one (accidentally) the same size just up the track off Horrocks and got towed around for a while. I don't know if this sighting has been reported. I've just heard it from a reliable source. So keep an eye out.

Zuke
901 posts
8 Feb 2013 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^ Good on you Thommo.

Don't know what the red was for but I greened it.

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
8 Feb 2013 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

So mocha1 and/or smicko, do you remember what was happening with the swell that day? I seem to remember it was small. Tossing up which direction to drive on Sunday and the swell's a bit bigger than I would usually go to Bikini Wash's. Banks look like they might not be world-class either, with a gutter closer in? I'm tempted to go the other way instead, but not excited about the extra drive time. Feel free to pm me.

GPA
WA, 2519 posts
8 Feb 2013 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

^^^
G'day Legion - it was very small - cos I decided it was not worth going 3/4 way to the bikini wash destination... and metro was snorkelling conditions. I know cos I opted to spend most of the day studying instead...

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
8 Feb 2013 11:50PM
Thumbs Up

Legion, Rotto was 0.8, I'd reckon Sunday will be miles too big where Mocha and I were, mind you there's plenty of other options in the area.
1.5ish is about the absolute max for that beachie. We're going for a drive with the kids on Sunday, but not that far this time.

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
9 Feb 2013 12:21AM
Thumbs Up

thommo 000 said...
Just a heads up to any kiters, windsurfers, sups, divers, surfers and anyone else.

The last couple of days there's been a big white pointer (17') spotted feeding of the Bowes River mouth and some crew fishing in a runabout hooked one (accidentally) the same size just up the track off Horrocks and got towed around for a while. I don't know if this sighting has been reported. I've just heard it from a reliable source. So keep an eye out.

Geez that's a bit freaky Thommo, seems to be a bit out of it's range for this time of year. In saying that I do reckon water temps have dropped a bit over the last couple of weeks. I'm getting a bit sick of these damn things, even the "safe" months are farked now.

GPA
WA, 2519 posts
9 Feb 2013 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

Metro = don't bother.

Small swell trying to produce a wave on northern beachies, but the tide is low and the SE strong (whitecapping)... so combined with some back-wash it's thigh high dumpers.... with 10 paddling for each wave

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
9 Feb 2013 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

Getting plenty.

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1402 posts
9 Feb 2013 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
subasurf said...
Getting plenty.

Of male on male action? good on you.
(Not that there's anything wrong with that if that's what your into)

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
9 Feb 2013 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

Ctngoodvibes said...
subasurf said...
Getting plenty.

Of male on male action? good on you.
(Not that there's anything wrong with that if that's what your into)

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1402 posts
9 Feb 2013 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
9 Feb 2013 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

subasurf said...
Getting plenty.

Nice work mate

Andy T
WA, 325 posts
9 Feb 2013 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Suba,
While the debate rages of east vs west and we all reminisce of the good old days when we were 4ft tall and the waves appeared massive everywhere in WA...You're actually getting some... good for you mate. Enjoy

Andy T
WA, 325 posts
9 Feb 2013 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

Ps.... more footage please

Buster fin
WA, 2573 posts
9 Feb 2013 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

I surprised myself by enjoying tiddlers off the rocks at city beach between the flags. Twas very nice to get wet.

Andy T
WA, 325 posts
9 Feb 2013 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

Nice avatar buster... that you on the ground then?

Buster fin
WA, 2573 posts
9 Feb 2013 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Andy T said...
Nice avatar buster... that you on the ground then?

No. One of my ex-neighbours. At least he almost made it home that night.

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
9 Feb 2013 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

Andy T said...
Hey Suba,
While the debate rages of east vs west and we all reminisce of the good old days when we were 4ft tall and the waves appeared massive everywhere in WA...You're actually getting some... good for you mate. Enjoy

Yep. Island hopping through Indo for the past couple weeks for work, so can't complain. Waves have been so consistent and a few days of almost double overhead.

Hopefully get a short edited video together soon.

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
10 Feb 2013 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

Another clip. The render came out a bit crappy so its pixelated, but the raw footage is great. When I've got time to cut something together I'll upload a full 1080p HD video.

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1402 posts
10 Feb 2013 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

Looks fun Suba.

rbl
WA, 153 posts
10 Feb 2013 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

Saw a rabbit at Hilda st today

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
10 Feb 2013 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

4' today where I was. 20kt offshore followed by calm followed by a light onshore. Lots of people though.

Zuke
901 posts
10 Feb 2013 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

The conditions were too good to ignore today so Buster Leggy and myself put in the miles and scored. The first pic is Buster paddling back out after a wave and I'm not even in the water yet! It had some size today and did I mention Buster snapped his leggy

This pic is how we left it, still plenty of good ones coming through but we were exhausted and totally stoked.

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"Legions surf report :: Daily updates.." started by doggie