Forums > Surfing Shortboards

Legions surf report :: Daily updates..

Created by doggie > 9 months ago, 23 Apr 2010
Andy T
WA, 325 posts
14 Jul 2013 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

^^^ best surf report I've read all week Zuke. Pity I'm stuck at work again.

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1403 posts
14 Jul 2013 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

Why no pics lately zuke....?? You still hitting your outer reefs?

Zuke
901 posts
14 Jul 2013 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ctngoodvibes said..

Why no pics lately zuke....?? You still hitting your outer reefs?

I've committed to a long term project with no full days off and with my spots requiring most of the day to get to the boat's out for a while. After it's over I should be able to hit my spots up more than before so that's the light at the end of the tunnel for me. But for now it's just early quick sessions locally.

Here's a (not very good) pic from my last outing, I took one quick pic as I was leaving. Some of the best barrels I've had for years, really deep and hollow.

PS: Bad luck Andy. I think it would have only been good for the very early, I was in at 6:45 and out at 7:20.

GPA
WA, 2519 posts
14 Jul 2013 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

^^^
Really - 35min? It takes me that long to get into it some days...

I can't surf to the clock - I had a 90min window last Friday morning and although I got a few never felt settled as I knew I had somewhere else to be... that's why I struggle with the pre-work surf I guess.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
14 Jul 2013 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GPA said..

^^^

I can't surf to the clock - I had a 90min window last Friday morning and although I got a few never felt settled as I knew I had somewhere else to be... that's why I struggle with the pre-work surf I guess.

You just break it down and do it, remember its better than not getting a surf..

Andy T
WA, 325 posts
14 Jul 2013 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Right JB, one good ride and I'm stoked whether its a 2hr or 10min session.
Quality far out ways quantity for me

P co
WA, 457 posts
14 Jul 2013 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

I surf most days of the week but am lucky to get more than 30 minutes. If I am pressed for time, which is usually the case, I might go out and get 6 waves. Might take 15 minutes, might take 45. Always feel better for it.

GPA
WA, 2519 posts
14 Jul 2013 2:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
P co said..
I surf most days of the week but am lucky to get more than 30 minutes. If I am pressed for time, which is usually the case, I might go out and get 6 waves. Might take 15 minutes, might take 45. Always feel better for it.

Easy when your office is right in front of the beach!

Zuke
901 posts
14 Jul 2013 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
GPA said..

^^^

Any time in the water is good for me GPA, at least it's keeping me sane.

P co
WA, 457 posts
14 Jul 2013 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah, a nice luxury to be 100m from the waves all day. Sometimes glad I can't actually see it as it would send you crazy not being able to get out.

Ctngoodvibes
WA, 1403 posts
14 Jul 2013 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

30 mins during a lunch break has kept me sane on occasions

bolgo
WA, 881 posts
17 Jul 2013 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

arto's smoking this am
no one out
long paddle and many shark alarma recently :-)

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
17 Jul 2013 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Within gunshot distance of bolgo. Apparently the go-to once secret place in these conditions had 100 out (probably exaggeration). Much less where I was, and fun. Antarctic wind.

I just couldn't bring myself to paddle out yesterday. Inside artos was OK but I didn't particularly want to go solo and it would've been a gamble to be in the right spot at the right time.

Today's place had a handful yesterday but it was a struggle. I could've but I piked.

Shame about the swell.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
17 Jul 2013 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

Junky waves and raining. Geez I love surfing in the rain.

Shamansurfer
14 posts
17 Jul 2013 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Legion said..

Apparently the go-to once secret place in these conditions had 100 out (probably exaggeration).

No, not an exaggeration at all! The most crowded ive ever seen it! Maybe because the usual storm spot is gone :(

Shamansurfer
14 posts
17 Jul 2013 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

From a couple weeks ago

PaddlePig
WA, 421 posts
17 Jul 2013 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

I personally find the place a bit of a joke. It's great when you jag it and not many are out. But at the end of the day, it is usually small. Even in big swell, it is still not that big. It's a bit over rated. The problem is also that every wanna be pro goes there in the storms, and every learner/longboarder/SUP also think they have right to the place. Massively crowded at times.

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
17 Jul 2013 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

Surfed it one day last year 4', biggest ever for me. One of the bigger storms of the winter, four guys out.

Always dirty, diseasey water. Dead sheep's heads on one occasion last year. You feel wrong when you get out, like you need a movie-style radiation scrub-down.

smicko
WA, 2503 posts
17 Jul 2013 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

I know I sound like a broken record, going on about the "good old days" but that joint used to get so good. Just A frames up and down the beach. And Tearooms? Sheeeeez, big bowling lefts from out past the groyne to the pylon. Had a share house in John street for a couple of winters in my late teens and that joint was nuts.

sparki
WA, 410 posts
17 Jul 2013 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
smicko said..

I know I sound like a broken record, going on about the "good old days" but that joint used to get so good. Just A frames up and down the beach. And Tearooms? Sheeeeez, big bowling lefts from out past the groyne to the pylon. Had a share house in John street for a couple of winters in my late teens and that joint was nuts.

wow, if there's one thing that's reminded me of why i need to get the hell out of perth and stay out, it's that. it's almost too hard to imagine 'big bowling lefts' when now the only thing that can awake the sleeping giant (groin take off) is a 7 metre swell, gale force onshore winds and a rip worth an 18 wheeler full of sand. slight exaggeration, but the point remains.

speaking of cott, a friend reminded me the other day that there used to be a little bit of reef sort of halfway between the pylon and the halfway point of the groin. how time (sand movement) has changed things....

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
17 Jul 2013 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

No exaggeration this winter. There's no sandbanks.

The reef is Dummies. It's still there in summer. Was there about a month ago. I think it's covered now.

moohan
WA, 147 posts
18 Jul 2013 12:20AM
Thumbs Up

smicko, scored days like those described into the late 90's. Checked that storm spot around 11, car park was full, and the road was lined up with parked cars too. Looked chest high at best. Scored some fun hollow bigger wind wedges further north and only had to share with my brother.

PaddlePig
WA, 421 posts
18 Jul 2013 7:49AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I agree with above. It seems if the car park is packed there's every chance it's only chest high sometimes and every dog is having a sniff.

Souwester
WA, 1258 posts
18 Jul 2013 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Blooody freeeezing this morning, sprinted to the water to defrost the feet!

Beautiful conditions, waves were a bit poo but still had fun and bugger me, in metro areas thats what it is all about!

Better than the gym - I sprint down the beach, mindful not to stub the toe , paddle out, get about 45min in , get out and sprint to the car, get changed while the car is warming up and then shoot to work - could do that everyday conditions permitting

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
18 Jul 2013 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

^ was there much size? Checked the Rotto buoy early, only 2m.

Souwester
WA, 1258 posts
18 Jul 2013 4:25PM
Thumbs Up

Not as big as I thought, was a lot of South in the swell and it was dropping fast.

Combination of conditions made it not as good as I thought, still worth a punt and a quick wave though.

Mustg admit I felt like a pussy when I was running down with my feet numb and an elderly couple in speedos and one peice swim suit were casually strolling past me with a big grin on there face!

supman123
WA, 17 posts
18 Jul 2013 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bene313 said..

^ was there much size? Checked the Rotto buoy early, only 2m.

checked a few places this morning, problem was the tide.

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
18 Jul 2013 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Perth sucks

mocha1
WA, 932 posts
18 Jul 2013 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Wow, I haven't surfed for 12 days before today-I thought it was ok!
Amazing what a forced drought will do to perception of "**** Perth waves"
Any day surfing better than a day not surfing-unless it involves a derby win and Jen hawkins

Hamsta
505 posts
18 Jul 2013 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Legion said..

No exaggeration this winter. There's no sandbanks.

The reef is Dummies. It's still there in summer. Was there about a month ago. I think it's covered now.

So true Legion. A place that had some smoking banks last year after the massive Sunday afternoon storm (woot) now is 80% straight handers. What is going on.........I've been away most of the winter but everyone I have spoken with seems to say the same thing....despite NW then SW winds there are straight banks everywhere and the swells have had no stroke. I don't surf in Perth but it seems a bit weird how the sand isn't there. Where is all the sand going?

I also found out that the gate has been shut again on another wave that used to be worth a winter punt.

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"Legions surf report :: Daily updates.." started by doggie