Forums > Surfing Shortboards

Legions surf report :: Daily updates..

Created by doggie > 9 months ago, 23 Apr 2010
Woodo
WA, 792 posts
14 Aug 2013 12:44PM
Thumbs Up

Sure it just wasn't you who made the water brown when you saw the fin?

agnak
311 posts
14 Aug 2013 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

Make the most of it, because when a few crew get these electronic shark repelling thingos you`ll see sweet FA.

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
14 Aug 2013 1:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
agnak said..
Make the most of it, because when a few crew get these electronic shark repelling thingos you`ll see sweet FA.

Dolphins go by sound dont they?

agnak
311 posts
14 Aug 2013 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

Yep think so, they use pingers on some shark nets to keep`em away.

Surfs been pumping lately hope you all been getting amongst it.

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
14 Aug 2013 2:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
agnak said..
Yep, they use pingers on some shark nets to keep`em away

So the shark sheilds wont bother them, unlike sonar.

agnak
311 posts
14 Aug 2013 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Righto that`s good. Been heaps of dolphins around.

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
14 Aug 2013 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
agnak said..

Yep, I see them almost every time I surf. Not much local but out of town they seem to be evrywhere.

Smicko and I saw the biggest dolphin I have ever seen. Mick thought it was a shark at first as it charged a young fella that was about 20m away from him and I was another 20-30m from him.

Never seen one that even came close to how big it was, it then dissapeared and a another came to keep us company, surfing all the time and put on a bit of an air show.

Love seeing them in the water, amazing

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
14 Aug 2013 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WA71 said..

agnak said..

Yep, I see them almost every time I surf. Not much local but out of town they seem to be evrywhere.

Smicko and I saw the biggest dolphin I have ever seen. Mick thought it was a shark at first as it charged a young fella that was about 20m away from him and I was another 20-30m from him.

Never seen one that even came close to how big it was, it then dissapeared and a another came to keep us company, surfing all the time and put on a bit of an air show.

Love seeing them in the water, amazing

The air show was the best. This thing just shot down the wave, 180 turn and shot straight back up. Side ways and big slap in to the water A guy paddled up to me from down the beach and he said from a distance it looked like it was going to land on me

Woodo my heart stopped as i saw it i was paddling out and a wave blocked its view for a second. Came over the top and it was still their..Heart definitely skipped

Has anyone else seen a brown Dolphin, in the ocean? The fin was absolute chocolate brown..

Boothie88
161 posts
14 Aug 2013 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said..

Has anyone else seen a brown Dolphin, in the ocean? The fin was absolute chocolate brown..

I Have JB, two of them- were only baby ones really goldy brown colour- Could of been the angle/sun??

Weren't shy at all breached within 2m of me, tried to get a photo but they were too quick.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
14 Aug 2013 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Boothie88 said..

jbshack said..

I Have JB, two of them- were only baby ones really goldy brown colour- Could of been the angle/sun??

Weren't shy at all breached within 2m of me, tried to get a photo but they were too quick.

It was early, like 6;45 but still it was brown, it hung around a bit and another guy actually commented it to me, maybe it was my eyes as later on another guy said have you seen the white one Sure enough less than a meter and almost all white

The thing about the colour was the contrast to the others, they were grey as grey and these two stood out like dogs balls

bakesy
WA, 682 posts
14 Aug 2013 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

same down here JB, I'm told that when they hang out mainly in a river system they will go this colour. What you may have seen is one that has been a river dweller for most of its life then moved out to the ocean for some reason. The same happens with our tailor, for some reason a school or two stay in the system and they have a rusty/brownish tinge to them but the greenbacks or juveniles that come in during summer are silvery.

agnak
311 posts
14 Aug 2013 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

Couple from the other day, sorry bout the quality of the pics. Was some good size sets!

bakesy
WA, 682 posts
14 Aug 2013 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

in the top photo please don't tell me that's a dude dropping in! Great pics mate.

agnak
311 posts
15 Aug 2013 12:56AM
Thumbs Up

Yep, try and be friendly and see what happens... lol

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
15 Aug 2013 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

Even if they pull out, at that point they've already snowballed the lip and trashed the wave.
W@nkers

Woodo
WA, 792 posts
15 Aug 2013 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

That's solid and they're bout to get slotted

sls
WA, 179 posts
15 Aug 2013 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

Some quick phone snaps from Wednesday morning, taken after a nice before work session.
No dolphins seen, brown or otherwise.

surferstu
1011 posts
16 Aug 2013 1:11AM
Thumbs Up

Why is that tard stomping around on the dunes drinking coffee, I wonder sometimes if there is a fkn magic wave viewing platform or something in there

sporto
WA, 47 posts
16 Aug 2013 8:53AM
Thumbs Up

Maybe the brown dolphins are porpoises? They are a dark brown/black colour and look almost exactly like dolphins.

Legion
WA, 2222 posts
16 Aug 2013 10:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surferstu said..

Why is that tard stomping around on the dunes drinking coffee, I wonder sometimes if there is a fkn magic wave viewing platform or something in there

It's suba. He's just picked up a coffee from yelo and stopped by to look at the surf on his way to read a book on fishes. He forgot his boardies and snapped his fourth board this week so he's not going out.

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
16 Aug 2013 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

In reality I'm hung over as **** on the couch watching chopes live.
Taj just got eliminated by the way.

sparki
WA, 410 posts
18 Aug 2013 1:01PM
Thumbs Up

The banks seemed super fickle today. Dunno if it's just me or what but the first hour of my surf was spent paddling my arms off trying to find a consistent bank. Found a good one for the last hour to get some good stoke happening. Managed to get some nice big carves in - which is what you'd expect to be able to do after a week of big swell and onshores I suppose. There were a few fantastic little sections for a vertical snaps or an air. Tagged the lip nicely a few times, but then when I tried to go for an air I just can't seem to get the technique right. Got into the air, but the board won't stick! Anyone got tips? I've watched a few vids on the technique - seems pretty much like an ollie, but it just doesn't feel that simple.

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
18 Aug 2013 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

The only thing I know about trying to stay with the board in the air is getting the right angle with the wind. It's bull5hit hard (well, for me it is) which I guess explains why I'm useless at it.

chrispy
WA, 9675 posts
18 Aug 2013 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Legion said...
surferstu said..

It's suba. He's just picked up a coffee from yelo and stopped by to look at the surf on his way to read a book on fishes. He forgot his boardies and snapped his fourth board this week so he's not going out.

You just made me spit my decaf soy one shot of vanilla with a **** me I'm fancy design latte all over my am I not.the most off beaten adventurous surfer to hit the world.........well seabreeze at least.

bakesy
WA, 682 posts
18 Aug 2013 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

finally got a wave in between an ath's carnival and a birthday party, plenty of power in the swell with a crisp offshore to hold it up.

MickPC
8266 posts
18 Aug 2013 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bakesy said..

finally got a wave in between an ath's carnival and a birthday party, plenty of power in the swell with a crisp offshore to hold it up.

Ahh thats what that thing was, I passed it on my way North. Then was spewing as I went a little further, I could see how good it was & I was stuck going to the Home Expo to choose bricks n stuff for a new build before heading to my sisters birthday bbq in Doubleview. Looked good just now on the way home too, hopefully something left over for me tomorrow

LateStarter
WA, 589 posts
18 Aug 2013 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

Scored an empty southern reefie today for an hour with my mate, had a blast!

After that hour 2 sups turned up with their groms (8-10 year olds) on surfboards. They said they found the spot on google earth and were checking it out for the first time!

The vibe in the water was unreal, the sups were spotting sets before we could see them, then calling us in! Everyone was taking turns and we all had more than our fill, with plenty of hooting and hollering going on when the groms started pulling into the sets.

With all the wank going on in the 'unfriendly surfers' thread, I thought I'd take the time to remind you all why we should be surfing in the first place!

Oh and by the way, if any of you are wondering where my southern reefie is, check out google earth, somewhere between freo and Albany

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
18 Aug 2013 11:53PM
Thumbs Up

^
That's how it should be done.
You and you're mate had the place to yourselves then a group rock up and crash it...BUT...they don't be dicks about it and thus the good vibe is created.

That sounds like a great sesh!

WA71
WA, 1382 posts
19 Aug 2013 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

Got some nice fast lefts yesterday, got smashed as well

Andy T
WA, 325 posts
19 Aug 2013 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

Perth beachies pretty fat today and size dropped. Still some fun ones if ya waited

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"Legions surf report :: Daily updates.." started by doggie