Created by DUDE > 9 months ago, 14 Aug 2012
DUDE
NSW, 1132 posts
14 Aug 2012 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

Teahupo'o 2012 starts in two days.

The trails have started.

Will the swell hit like in Fiji?

Will the pro's take "big" boards for this contest?

Who's going to win?

Parko's all sorted I think...

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
14 Aug 2012 4:32PM
Thumbs Up

Fricken hell, I wonder what is in all that lot

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
14 Aug 2012 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

Still not the same without AI

newguy
654 posts
14 Aug 2012 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

Hoping the coverage improves compared to other webcasts previously.

Zuke
901 posts
14 Aug 2012 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

doggie said...

Fricken hell, I wonder what is in all that lot

They look like ironing boards.

swalkington
WA, 401 posts
14 Aug 2012 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

subasurf said...

green thumb from me suba :-)

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
14 Aug 2012 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

swalkington said...

subasurf said...

green thumb from me suba :-)

+1

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
14 Aug 2012 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

soleman
WA, 280 posts
14 Aug 2012 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

DUDE said...

The trails have started.

Who's going to win?

Not sure about the swell, could be a John florence, ace buchan owen or kelly win, Pros will probably just pack heaps of boards up to about 6'8, hopin Mick or Joel get the points to stay on top or thereabouts. Heres hoping for some sick waves and some great surfing at the sickest left! Yeeewww

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
15 Aug 2012 6:34AM
Thumbs Up

I think JJF or Kelly will go close. Shame the swell charts look so barren this next week

Dawn Patrol
WA, 1991 posts
15 Aug 2012 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

Slater has some good runs at Teapuhoo.

Mainly because all you gotta do is just stand there and get a barrel (his words while he had a broken foot, if I remember correctly).

subasurf
WA, 2153 posts
15 Aug 2012 2:00PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah but NO ONE had the same backside tube riding style as AI. The way he throws his arse and knee into the face to control his speed and position is just awesome...not so much on the Teahupoo big days ofcourse.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
17 Aug 2012 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

Australian Joel Parkinson is through to round three of the Billabong Pro in Tahiti

JOEL Parkinson and an on-song Kelly Slater have both surfed their way directly into round three of the Billabong Pro at the famous Teahupoo break in Tahiti.
Parkinson, chasing his maiden world title and fresh from paddling the famous Molokai to Oahu a race in a team with ironman Wes Berg, started slowly but found his form later in the heat.

''There were only a few good waves,'' Parkinson said after winning his opening heat of the ASP World Tour event.

Famous for its monster, heavy waves, this morning the swell was smaller and milder but big enough for the top surfers in the world to strut their stuff.

Slater, well positioned for a 12th world crown this year if he opts to surf on for the entire season, easily advanced into the third round with local wildcard Alain Riou and South African Travis Logie.

Earlier a last-minute wave shot Australian world title contender Taj Burrow directly into round three at the Billabong Pro but compatriot Mick Fanning was sent into the do-or-die second round.

Burrow, Hawaiian rising star John John Florence and American Taylor Knox were all early winners with the latter defeating current world No.1 Fanning in their match-up.

Fanning must now win his round two heat to advance in the ASP World Tour event.

Florence kicked off the action, advancing directly into the third round of the competition with his definitive win over Brazilian Miguel Pupo and American Patrick

The Billabong Pro is the fifth stop of the 10-event ASP World Tour.

www.perthnow.com.au/news/nsw/australian-joel-parkinson-is-through-to-round-three-of-the-billabong-pro-in-tahiti-ng-f8b569a00922afef26803889e5487e15

SP
10979 posts
17 Aug 2012 2:58PM
Thumbs Up

soleman said...

DUDE said...

The trails have started.

Who's going to win?

Not sure about the swell, could be a John florence, ace buchan owen or kelly win, Pros will probably just pack heaps of boards up to about 6'8, hopin Mick or Joel get the points to stay on top or thereabouts. Heres hoping for some sick waves and some great surfing at the sickest left! Yeeewww

Saw this today on Parko..

We count at least 20 boards on the back of the truck. Do you?

To the recreational surfer, this many boards for two weeks in Tahiti might appear excessive, but if we do the math it suddenly kind of makes sense.

Okay, let's assume …

The contest can run in waves ranging anywhere from 2ft to 12ft.
Parko has five different board lengths he likes, ensuring he is equipped for anything in that size range, and each board will likely differ by two or three inches. So we'll say he has asked for a 5'11, 6'1, 6'3, 6'6 and 6'9. Total 5 surfboards
Teahupo'o breaks boards at any size, so he will need a replica of every board, just in case. Total 10 surfboards
But what if the surf is the same size and he's required to ride the same size model for the entire two weeks? Two boards is not enough! Heck, sometimes an unlucky surfer will break two boards in 10 minutes at Teahupo'o! So that means he needs at minimum, three in each size! Total 15 surfboards.
But what if it's eight foot the day he gets off the plane and he does break, or damage, three boards in a row? Better throw in a few extra, just in case … Total 18 surfboards.
And hang on, what if some of those boards simply don't perform to his liking? What if he is experimenting with boards of the same length but with slightly different widths, or tail configurations? Total 20+ surfboards.
You get the drift.

Don't even get us started on the stickers …

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
17 Aug 2012 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

Channel islands on FB often will send picks of the quivers ordered by the pros for a comp. But Kelly's for this event was only about 5 boards and i think that might not actually be 100% correct

soleman
WA, 280 posts
17 Aug 2012 5:27PM
Thumbs Up

subasurf said...

Yeah but NO ONE had the same backside tube riding style as AI. The way he throws his arse and knee into the face to control his speed and position is just awesome...not so much on the Teahupoo big days ofcourse.

Granted but he's not here anymore suba, time to look forward. If you want to see a similar style / attack watch John Florence, Andy was his hero and his style shows through a little.

soleman
WA, 280 posts
17 Aug 2012 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

SP said...

soleman said...

DUDE said...

The trails have started.

Who's going to win?

Saw this today on Parko..

We count at least 20 boards on the back of the truck. Do you?

To the recreational surfer, this many boards for two weeks in Tahiti might appear excessive, but if we do the math it suddenly kind of makes sense.

Okay, let's assume …

The contest can run in waves ranging anywhere from 2ft to 12ft.
Parko has five different board lengths he likes, ensuring he is equipped for anything in that size range, and each board will likely differ by two or three inches. So we'll say he has asked for a 5'11, 6'1, 6'3, 6'6 and 6'9. Total 5 surfboards
Teahupo'o breaks boards at any size, so he will need a replica of every board, just in case. Total 10 surfboards
But what if the surf is the same size and he's required to ride the same size model for the entire two weeks? Two boards is not enough! Heck, sometimes an unlucky surfer will break two boards in 10 minutes at Teahupo'o! So that means he needs at minimum, three in each size! Total 15 surfboards.
But what if it's eight foot the day he gets off the plane and he does break, or damage, three boards in a row? Better throw in a few extra, just in case … Total 18 surfboards.
And hang on, what if some of those boards simply don't perform to his liking? What if he is experimenting with boards of the same length but with slightly different widths, or tail configurations? Total 20+ surfboards.
You get the drift.

Don't even get us started on the stickers …

Too right SP not a bad way to look at it. wouldn't it be nice to cop a 20 board quiver even just once a year or two let alone once an event!!

DrD
64 posts
17 Aug 2012 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Its a shame the forecast isn't a bit bigger, its always nice to see the men sorted from the boys.
I'm suprised Kolohi Andino didn't call in sick, or injured, it seems like he is always missing when it starts getting solid. Some of those Brazzo boys are a bit the same.
They had their chance to prove themselves a few times over the last year or two and never took it.

John John has to be one of the favourites in hollow reef break lefts, but I would really like to see Michel Bourez win in his home town.

soleman
WA, 280 posts
17 Aug 2012 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

dont quote me dr d but i think kolohe is out with an injury untill late august

DrD
64 posts
18 Aug 2012 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Too late, I'm quoting you

soleman said...

dont quote me dr d but i think kolohe is out with an injury untill late august

DrD
64 posts
18 Aug 2012 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

This was lifted from the ASP website.
Coincidence or not? hmmmmm any conspiricy theorists out there? Is he plain unlucky or dodging chopes?

Teething on one's rookie year is hardly an original story, and Andino's dominance at the ASP Prime and Star events had maintained (he currently sits at No. 18 on the ASP World Rankings). However, following the Volcom Fiji Pro, Andino suffered a serious ankle injury while training in San Clemente that has sidelined him for several weeks.

A serious blow to his rookie year campaign and a loss to fans around the globe who love seeing him throw down regularly, Andino is now rehabbing at home and the ASP called into the 18-year-old to see where his head's at:

Describe for us how this injury happened:

“Basically, I was taking five days off because I had a small twinge in my right hip. During those five days, I was doing a juicing diet. On the sixth day, my hip felt good, the sun was out and I was all juiced up from a ginger, kale, spinach, jalapeño, carrot, garlic and lemon juice. I was frothing. There were little shoulder-high wedges on the shore at Riviera. Fun in the sun. I paddled out with my Dad, Morgan Maassen and Dylan Goodale, which gets me even more psyched because I love surfing with my Dad. It was a full froth fest. About ten waves in, a little left comes my way and I race down the line thinking, “John John (Florence)…John John…John John…full rotation…Rio de Janeiro…Final Against Parko.” I hit it, go in the air, do a 360 and land way too far in the flats. I heard a significant popping noise and started to scream. Froth fest over…”

What is the official diagnosis?

“Grade-3 high ankle sprain, Grade 2-3 Lisfranc ligament torn. I'm meant to be out of the water 8 – 10 weeks from June 21st at the earliest, but I am waiting until I am 100% before I put a jersey on. At that point, I will be really excited to compete again, but for the time being I am working as hard as I can. I'm 100% committed to doing everything in my power to aid in a speedy recovery.”

soleman
WA, 280 posts
18 Aug 2012 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

dunno about conspiracy but definately would not have done too well at chopes, not his cuppa tea, funny how he will be raring to go for trestles and steamer lane. may be a touch cocky for the rookie unless he is actually quite badly hurt

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
27 Aug 2012 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

Event is finally back on this morning with Slater losing his third round heat. Taj is back on his firewires by the look of it.

2 16.44 Kelly Slater USA
1 18.34 Ricardo Dos Santos BRA

surferstu
1011 posts
27 Aug 2012 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

Absolutely pumping now

10 by Flores earlier now another by medina

swalkington
WA, 401 posts
27 Aug 2012 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

Conditions at chopes are average at the moment by its standards,...but imagine surfing those waves with one other guy! heaven!

TimKay
752 posts
27 Aug 2012 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

$100 bucks on Parko

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
28 Aug 2012 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

into the semi's now and its absolutely pumping.

swalkington
WA, 401 posts
28 Aug 2012 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

Red thumb be-otch....
Stop being a schlong toker and go and have an actual surf....
Might mean you chill a little
Love swalk

chrispychru
QLD, 7932 posts
28 Aug 2012 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

swalkington said...

Red thumb be-otch....
Love swalk

green thumb for the word be-otch

TimKay
752 posts
28 Aug 2012 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

chrispychru said...

swalkington said...

Red thumb be-otch....
Love swalk

green thumb for the word be-otch

I thought it was supposed to be Biatch or is that word banned

DUDE
NSW, 1132 posts
28 Aug 2012 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

Mick Fanning defeats Joel Parkinson in the final claiming the 2012 Billabong Pro Tahiti win!

First Aussie win in 12 years.....

http://instagram.com/p/O2keE3KPDI/

Subscribe

Forums > Surfing Shortboards

"Teahupo'o 2012" started by DUDE