Forums > Windsurfing General

1980's u joint and mast foot

Created by loginmame > 9 months ago, 10 Nov 2013
loginmame
3 posts
10 Nov 2013 11:51PM
Thumbs Up

I just purchased a 1980's Magnum Nova for $150. Great deal I thought until the u joint busted clean off 20 mins into my first sesh with it - shame as I was enjoying the sailing.
Any pointers as to finding a replacement greatly appreciated... tried ebay etc - can't believe a good board and sail could be rendered useless by a piece of rubber.
Any help appreciated,
Thanks Ricardo

pierrec45
NSW, 2005 posts
11 Nov 2013 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
loginmame said..

I just purchased a 1980's Magnum Nova for $150. Great deal I thought until the u joint busted clean off 20 mins into my first sesh with it - shame as I was enjoying the sailing.
Any pointers as to finding a replacement greatly appreciated... tried ebay etc - can't believe a good board and sail could be rendered useless by a piece of rubber.
Any help appreciated,
Thanks Ricardo

Post a pic. Perhaps someone will come up with a genius idea, usually not me...
Sometimes shops have a bin at the back with old parts, one never knows.

clarence
TAS, 979 posts
11 Nov 2013 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

If it is only the rubber universal joint that is busted, top and bottom connections can be recovered and reused in a standard universal joint (not tendon type) as the threads are generally standard- even from a 1980s board. As pierre said, post a picture.

Clarence

sigmar
QLD, 86 posts
11 Nov 2013 12:26PM
Thumbs Up

jes plenty of boge joint available where abouts are you located

loginmame
3 posts
11 Nov 2013 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

thanks for replying. I'm in Qld - Gold Coast. Here's a photo

FormulaNova
WA, 14560 posts
11 Nov 2013 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
loginmame said..

thanks for replying. I'm in Qld - Gold Coast. Here's a photo

Okay, so does the joint in the middle which has broken unscrew?

If its a normal boge joint, you might be in luck.

loginmame
3 posts
11 Nov 2013 1:10PM
Thumbs Up

no unfortunately it appears to be all one unit. I have found a replacement on ebay - it might be the last one on the planet. Thanks for your help.

clarence
TAS, 979 posts
11 Nov 2013 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

I would be almost certain that there is a bolt inside the knurled knob of the bottom (deck insert) part. You'd have to take the expanding rubber sleeve bit off to get to a nut if there is one. If not there would be a captive female thread that a threaded pin on the base of the joint would screw in to.

I worked in a windsurf shop during that era and we fixed lots of uni joints. Nearly all of them from the era could be fixed/modified to take a boge style joint.

I'd get rid of the mast cup fitting completely and get a generic base (tyronsea for example), as it should fit most masts. Hydrodynamix sells them on ebay.

If the mast base and joint you buy off ebay is used, it may have corrosion in the plate inside the joint, or perishing of the rubber (given it is 20 years old) and could be prone to fail at any time, so do be aware.

Clarence

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"1980's u joint and mast foot" started by loginmame