Forums > Windsurfing General

1985 PWA Video

Created by Old Salty > 9 months ago, 11 Jun 2008
Old Salty
VIC, 1271 posts
11 Jun 2008 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

Hey
Been on hols and found a Video store closing down. Talk about a find. Given a freebee of the 1985 PWA Video held in the Canary Islands.
They show cased freestyle, salom and triangular racing
Apart from a few neckeed women the free style was a hoot. The big maneourve was to sail your board on its edge or upside down!
My, haven't we progressed
They where all using Mistral long boards with a dagger board and and triangular sails as well as showcasing the new Mistral Funboard - about 6 inches shorter than the long boards with a concave bottom to the board.
Anyone want to have a look - happy to post it to you for free - as long as you post it onto the next interested person for free also

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
11 Jun 2008 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

You ought to convert it to digital or get someone to do it for you. Then make it available via the interweb or something like that.

That way its saved for future generations to view the days when windsurfing ruled the world.

I don't think the PWA was around back then. I think it was the PBA.

Old Salty
VIC, 1271 posts
12 Jun 2008 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

The video is around 50 minutes long. If I could convert to digital it may be a little long to put up on youtube etc. Happy to post it free of charge to anyone who has the gear to convert to digital then perhaps excerts of it could be posted

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
12 Jun 2008 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

Old Salty said...

The video is around 50 minutes long. If I could convert to digital it may be a little long to put up on youtube etc. Happy to post it free of charge to anyone who has the gear to convert to digital then perhaps excerts of it could be posted

Burn it to DVD via a DVD recorder, you know one that's conected to a TV, cheaper to post

Also it'll only take one crapy video player along the way to root it

OceanBlue64
VIC, 980 posts
12 Jun 2008 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

I have all the DVD conversion equipment available. One of the companies I do work for convert films and tapes to DVD so I can slip it in there any time. Just PM me if you want it done and I will give you my postal address. I can then do multiple copies for anyone that wants them.

red
VIC, 738 posts
12 Jun 2008 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

OB64 you sound a bit sick.... you want to bring you some chicken soup in case your sick tomorrow

OceanBlue64
VIC, 980 posts
12 Jun 2008 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

red said...

OB64 you sound a bit sick.... you want to bring you some chicken soup in case your sick tomorrow

I just looked at forecast again *cough* *cough*. I think I will need more than chicken soup lol. I have already told boss I wouldnt be in and that I would go and do some work on Sat instead

red
VIC, 738 posts
12 Jun 2008 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

Steve, Marcus and I are meeting at the lake at 9am .. could be a tad windy!!!

Bring plenty of coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS I'm sure I be sick (more sore) at work on Sat

Wet Willy
TAS, 2316 posts
12 Jun 2008 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

Me want! Me want! I LOVE vintage windsurfing!!!!!

You could put it on YouTube in segments, as many people do with longer vids.

Really looking forward to seeing it!!!!!!!!!!!!

OceanBlue64
VIC, 980 posts
12 Jun 2008 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Wet Willy said...

Actually that would be quite easy to do once we capture it. Instead of rendering it for dvd I can just split the files and load em on you-tube. I will PM Old Salty and see if he will to send me the vid.

pierrec45
NSW, 2005 posts
12 Jun 2008 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,

I'd be happy to do the splittiing and all that if I had DVD (or better, a DVD of the MPEG that result from the capture). For freestyle, we could use the LBWS site (perhaps) to point to proper features, etc.

Ocean guy: I'm in to get a copy and pay for shipment if you do the capture!

Cheers,
P.

PS: BTW, there's so much better than YouTube, this is the last site you wanna use for qual.

Old Salty
VIC, 1271 posts
12 Jun 2008 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

Glad this has created some interest. I will post the vid off to Ocean blue Friday. Just keep us posted when you get it up to public space

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
12 Jun 2008 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

OceanBlue64 said...

Wet Willy said...

Actually that would be quite easy to do once we capture it. Instead of rendering it for dvd I can just split the files and load em on you-tube. I will PM Old Salty and see if he will to send me the vid.

I'd love a DVD copy OB64 rather than watching via Youtube etc, let me know if pos and where to cough up the dough.
Hope this doesn't get bigger than Ben Hur for you

snides8
WA, 1730 posts
12 Jun 2008 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Old Salty said...

Hey
Been on hols and found a Video store closing down. Talk about a find. Given a freebee of the 1985 PWA Video held in the Canary Islands.
They show cased freestyle, salom and triangular racing
Apart from a few neckeed women the free style was a hoot. The big maneourve was to sail your board on its edge or upside down!

They where all using Mistral long boards with a dagger board and and triangular sails as well as showcasing the new Mistral Funboard - about 6 inches shorter than the long boards with a concave bottom to the board.
Anyone want to have a look - happy to post it to you for free - as long as you post it onto the next interested person for free also

i would like to see how many guys could rail ride today if they where given the equipment to do it on!

Chris 249
NSW, 3353 posts
12 Jun 2008 11:18PM
Thumbs Up

It doesn't sound like the Pro Tour of 1985; at that time the World Cup was run by the manufacturer's association, the WSMA (????) or something similar; I should still have an '85 rulebook I kept from the Worlds that year.

Your vid is probably a Mistral Competition (one design) worlds. By '85, Robby, Peter Cabrinha etc were going for loops on sinkers in World Cup comps and using cambered sails, not rail riding. However, in '85 the Sony had a fun freestyle comp on Windsurfers in a light wind day, on the spot where the lagoon runs onto Long Reef beach. We saw Matt Schweitzer (who was brilliant and much more graceful than any of today's longboard windsurfers) and many other legends on the Wallies in the comp, but Robby couldn't compete as he was sponsored my Mistral. Then, after the fun comp was over and the crowds had gone away and only a few of us were left, he crept onto the Wally and pulled out his old freestyle routine - great stuff.

We may not have progressed in some ways; assuming the vid is actually a Mistral Worlds one, we have to remember that those boards would actually be quicker than a modern board a lot of the time on the average Oz day. We may be the only sport where on a typical day, the average bit of new gear is slower than the average bit of old gear.

But we'd LOVE to get the video to show it at the Windusrfer One Design/Raceboard nationals this year!

Chris 249
NSW, 3353 posts
12 Jun 2008 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snides8 said...

i would like to see how many guys could rail ride today if they where given the equipment to do it on!

Some people still can, even in about 1-2 knots of fluky offshore wind!

Red5
VIC, 51 posts
13 Jun 2008 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

Still reminiscing about the 1980’s eh? The good old days when windsurfing and Commodore 64 computers were cool and the dude’s on this sorry forum still had a full head of hair.

pierrec45
NSW, 2005 posts
13 Jun 2008 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

> My, haven't we progressed

> i would like to see how many guys could rail ride today if
> they where given the equipment to do it on!

'suppose you was tongue in cheek, but will still try to guess.

Given that in the early 80s many who wanted to rail could learn within the same season, then I would say most that are good today could as well. Given the right equipment. There are still many modern railrides being ridden - Kona site, the Jersey comp this very weekend, the Bonaire guys, in Florida, and here. On Starboards, Mistral and Konas, as well as older boards. So it's not lost.

I don't think that that many modern freestylists could perform the top, more complicated compound rail and longboard tricks. That's a belief, that's all. In thems days, lots of very agile competitors were trying full-time and still couldn't. Would be the same kind of ratio today. In other words, I don't think doing the ballet thing we see in modern flat water freestyle would give the upper hand for fancier moves.

The equipment has progressed indeed. Freestyle has taken different turns. But more athletic? Not sure - just different.

BTW, if you wanted to try:

http://www.knowledge.lbwindsurfing.com/longboard-freestyle/longboard-freestyle-on-the-railride-rail-ride/

www.knowledge.lbwindsurfing.com/longboard-freestyle/longboard-freestyle-%e2%80%93-the-basic-forward-railride/

Works on many a modern board too. And a closet door of mine once, with a properly fitted fin.

Wet Willy
TAS, 2316 posts
13 Jun 2008 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

Old Salty said...

...The big maneourve was to sail your board on its edge or upside down!

O-KAAAY...are you SURE they were sailing the boards upside down????

[}:)]

Old Salty
VIC, 1271 posts
13 Jun 2008 1:02PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Wet Boy - doubter of Man from the eighties that is jealous of all the mullets going around in the vid. Wait for the vid and it will be shown the dagger board is pointing skywards

Chris 249
NSW, 3353 posts
13 Jun 2008 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

Wet Willy said...

Old Salty said...

...The big maneourve was to sail your board on its edge or upside down!

O-KAAAY...are you SURE they were sailing the boards upside down????

Sailing the board upside down is called an "Everoll". You can see Dennis doing it here.

About 20 seconds in, he does a 180 degree turn standing on the bottom of the board. At 1 minute 40 seconds, he does a piroutte on the rail and then moves into a duck gybe while standing on the bottom of the board.

When you're watching this stuff, remember that it's 1-3 knots or so of fluky wind. It's not too exciting, but no other board could even be out there competing.

Wet Willy
TAS, 2316 posts
13 Jun 2008 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

Holy fluck!

I'm impressed!!

P.C_simpson
NSW, 1489 posts
13 Jun 2008 4:47PM
Thumbs Up

the memories of playing on a long board, love it, that guys uni would be hating life.

NotWal
QLD, 7428 posts
13 Jun 2008 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

Some of them had rope unis didn't they.

85 doesn't seem so long ago, but those vids look ancient.

pierrec45
NSW, 2005 posts
13 Jun 2008 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

> Board upside down.

Here's a Tube on that move. No biggie.

Note that the wind is not that light, for those who still confuse longboard freestyle with the so-called lightwind freestyle...

Chris 249
NSW, 3353 posts
13 Jun 2008 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

NotWal said...

Some of them had rope unis didn't they.

85 doesn't seem so long ago, but those vids look ancient.

One Designs, like Grange, just get better with age. The vid I posted was taken at last year's nationals. I agree, the everolls seem hard on the uni and board and I still remember delaming my first ever board, which is one reason I don't do them myself. The other is the fact that I'm crap at them!

Sadly for me, two-thirds of judges think that Dennis is the top longboard freestyler around. Even sadder is the fact that I think they are right (until next year).

Problem is, if Pierre comes back home the competition will get even harder.

Old Salty
VIC, 1271 posts
14 Jun 2008 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Chris

Happy to post a copy of Vid or dvd to you just PM me with your mailing address. As soon as I get it back I will post it to you

pierrec45
NSW, 2005 posts
15 Jun 2008 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

Chris, could you please take the offer (would cost me yappies for the shipping here) and digitalize, perhaps through Rob if you don't have the litlle VHS-to-USB capture box. There are soooo few tapes of such freestyle event, all we have is memories...

My financial contribution will be to buy you a schooner or two when we meet and you clean my pants in a freestyle comp (next year??).

OceanBlue64
VIC, 980 posts
15 Jun 2008 3:06PM
Thumbs Up

pierrec45 said...

Chris, could you please take the offer (would cost me yappies for the shipping here) and digitalize, perhaps through Rob if you don't have the litlle VHS-to-USB capture box. There are soooo few tapes of such freestyle event, all we have is memories...

My financial contribution will be to buy you a schooner or two when we meet and you clean my pants in a freestyle comp (next year??).

As I will be running off a few copies I would be more than happy to send one to you. Just let me know what format would you like it in i.e. DVD format or mpeg file on a disc. That goes for anyone wanting a copy. Once its done copies are no extra hassle.

Wet Willy
TAS, 2316 posts
16 Jun 2008 12:20AM
Thumbs Up

I'd love to get a copy. Please please please! I promise you my firstborn child, and furthermore I'll leave you all my old sails when I die!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"1985 PWA Video" started by Old Salty