WA, 966 posts
14 May 2008 2:06PM
Thumbs Up

Place your orders........

mr plod
49 posts
14 May 2008 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

ah I see you be checkin the spanish sites. All the new gears lookin good, cant wait to get a twinny this year. I think the jp in the photo looks like a custom though , too much aditional writing on the tail.
Anyone know any other sites to see the 09 gear on? ( apart from windsurf journal and totalwind)

Gonewindsurfing247
WA, 966 posts
14 May 2008 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

With a name like "Garcia" what do expect?

trebuchet
NSW, 32 posts
14 May 2008 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

Can't wait! All this new gear will be SO much cheaper with our strong Aussie Dollar...

Wet Willy
TAS, 2316 posts
14 May 2008 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

I dig those new North sails with the bright swirly colours...too bad they're not made by Ezzy, otherwise I'd buy one!

MavericK040
WA, 583 posts
14 May 2008 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

I really really want the Mistral Twinzer. it looks sweeeeet!!!!

WINDY MILLER
WA, 3183 posts
14 May 2008 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

rrd most pleasing to the eye - as per usual.

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
15 May 2008 12:36AM
Thumbs Up

you can tell the jp board is ridden by a pro.....the footstraps look like inchworms!

nobody
NSW, 437 posts
15 May 2008 1:26AM
Thumbs Up

I don't know how they don't break their ankles etc.

Bladez
NSW, 95 posts
15 May 2008 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Sexy new gear, hopefully I'll have some cash to spend for next season.
1 question though about the twin fins, does it make it easier to sail backwards? ie strong surf and light wind I tend to fall off alot when heading out because I get pushed backwards and the board turns a random direction.

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
15 May 2008 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

trebuchet said...

Can't wait! All this new gear will be SO much cheaper with our strong Aussie Dollar...

You would hope, but unfortunately it means the us dollar is weaker. Which means some of the materials etc. which are purchase in USD cost more! And the relation between the Euro and AUD is pretty much the same, so not much difference there. At the end of the day it all pretty much evens out in the end and costs what it costs. But where you will find a cost difference is a lot of factories are raising their prices, so I wouldn't get your heart set on cheaper gear, it will most likely be more expensive. We haven't received all our pricing yet, but it is pretty clear there are going to be some increases in price across the board.

JB

trebuchet
NSW, 32 posts
15 May 2008 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

Yep. I'm a realist. That clown face meant that I was joking.

stehsegler
WA, 3472 posts
15 May 2008 8:32AM
Thumbs Up

You would hope, but unfortunately it means the us dollar is weaker. Which means some of the materials etc. which are purchase in USD cost more! And the relation between the Euro and AUD is pretty much the same, so not much difference there. At the end of the day it all pretty much evens out in the end and costs what it costs.

So how come a board is about US$1400 (approx AU$1600) when bought in US vs. $2400 when bought in Australia? I know it's due to the strength of the Ozzie dollar but the question remains who pockets the difference... and AU$ 800 is a big difference in my book.

892 posts
15 May 2008 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

stehsegler said...

You would hope, but unfortunately it means the us dollar is weaker. Which means some of the materials etc. which are purchase in USD cost more! And the relation between the Euro and AUD is pretty much the same, so not much difference there. At the end of the day it all pretty much evens out in the end and costs what it costs.

So how come a board is about US$1400 (approx AU$1600) when bought in US vs. $2400 when bought in Australia? I know it's due to the strength of the Ozzie dollar but the question remains who pockets the difference... and AU$ 800 is a big difference in my book.

Hey Decrepit.... roughly how much do materials cost (thinking about Benders new board...) Obviously your labour, and expertise is worth a small fortune on top of materials, plus the fact that it's a custom board, but the materials must be a fairly constant baseline cost?

JEZ
WA, 395 posts
15 May 2008 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

I will have a new mistral twin fin here soon for your demo pleasure. As soon as they arrive we will let you know, and anyone interested is free to try it. Should also have the starboard evil twin soon to try.
cheers
Jez
2ndwind 08 9317 2916

elmo
WA, 8732 posts
15 May 2008 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

stehsegler said...

Cost of Goods
Plus
Freight
Multiply that by
Import Duty
Then multiply that by
Any other Tax (luxury goods?)
Then Multiply that by
Shop Mark up
Then Multiply the whole lot by
GST

Just remember when you think about complaining about how much you think the shops are hooking into you.

Go into the shop and lovingly caress the latest to which you want to play with, then once you've gotten all excited and rubbed your nether regions against it take a look around you a do some rough calculations as to what money has to be spent for you to have that privilege of being able to that.
  • The building you just walked into costs money to rent(or buy)

• The people you talk to all have to be paid

• The stock you just rubbed yourself up against has to be paid for upon receipt by the shop. Don't forget everything in that shop apart from shop fixtures is stock. It gets really scary when you get down to s/s nuts bolts and screws levels.

• What stock the shop has on the shelf at Tax return time has a value on it and subsequently the store gets taxed for that as well.

• There is the insurance on the whole shebang, plus possible liability insurance.

• The accountants have to be paid, unless the shop owner has so much spare time they can do it themselves, else the ATO will get them.

• Bank interest has to be paid

• Then after all that the shop owner would like to make a little profit

As I've never seen a shop owner running in a limo, I'm assuming they don't make a huge amount of money on the kit.

892 posts
15 May 2008 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

elmo said...

Cost of Goods
Plus
Freight
Multiply that by
Import Duty
Then multiply that by
Then Multiply that by
Shop Mark up
GST

• The stock you just rubbed yourself up against has to be paid for upon receipt by the shop. Don't forget everything in that shop apart from shop fixtures is stock. It gets really scary when you get down to s/s nuts bolts and screws levels.

• What stock the shop has on the shelf at Tax return time has a value on it and subsequently the store gets taxed for that as well.

• There is the insurance on the whole shebang, plus possible liability insurance.

• The accountants have to be paid, unless the shop owner has so much spare time they can do it themselves, else the ATO IRS will get them.

As I've never seen a shop owner running in a limo, I'm assuming they don't make a huge amount of money on the kit.

Apart from the additional freight to Australia, all of those things are also true of the shop in the US.. which still leaves the original question!

elmo
WA, 8732 posts
15 May 2008 12:10PM
Thumbs Up

555 said...

elmo said...

Cost of Goods
Plus
Freight
Multiply that by
Import Duty
Then multiply that by
Then Multiply that by
Shop Mark up
GST

• The accountants have to be paid, unless the shop owner has so much spare time they can do it themselves, else the ATO IRS will get them.

Apart from the additional freight to Australia, all of those things are also true of the shop in the US.. which still leaves the original question!

Some of the Tax's maybe but I have strong belief that we suffer a few more tax's over here which doesn't help the cause

Wet Willy
TAS, 2316 posts
15 May 2008 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

TAXES, Elmo, TAXES. Unless you are a Taxee driver...

stehsegler
WA, 3472 posts
15 May 2008 12:31PM
Thumbs Up

Some of the Tax's maybe but I have strong belief that we suffer a few more tax's over here which doesn't help the cause

what additional taxes? they would be not much different to any import taxes the US has... especially when the product originates from an Asian country.

Oh, and market size doesn't count either. While the US has 360 million people if you go 50 kms north or south from the Gorge for example people have never heard of windsurfing. If you ask someone in Portland (a mere 150 kms away) you get puzzled looks.

Windsurfing itself at the Gorge is no bigger than what you would find in WA.

Now if the shops are saying they aren't making that much on the product I can only assume that the importer is adding a nice profit margin.

stehsegler
WA, 3472 posts
15 May 2008 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

oh and let's bless the fact that parallels imports have been made legal due to the efforts of the ACCC.

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
15 May 2008 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

stehsegler said...

oh and let's bless the fact that parallels imports have been made legal due to the efforts of the ACCC.

No one is stopping you or anyone else from buying stuff overseas and bringing it into Australia yourself. People do it all the time with digital projectors, witness websites like pricejapan.

Volume would be pretty low on many windsurfing items so low volumes means high markup to make decent money.

Crash Landing
NSW, 1173 posts
15 May 2008 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

Mobydisc said...
No one is stopping you or anyone else from buying stuff overseas and bringing it into Australia yourself. People do it all the time with digital projectors, witness websites like pricejapan.

This is true, i have just ordered a snow board, bindings and boots from the US for $411 Aus, where the boots alone cost me $65 and they're retailing in Sydney for $299!* I had to pay for postage $110 aus for the lot, but that's INCLUDED in the $411.

Major problem is I've never seen this stuff in the flesh and I just hope I got the right size boots - if not they'll go on Ebay where I should be easily able to recover costs.

*this isn't the best example because the US is obviously at the end of it's 2007/8 ski season and there are 70% off sales... but i'm still stoked!

bc
QLD, 701 posts
15 May 2008 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

Mobydisc said...

stehsegler said...

Volume would be pretty low on many windsurfing items so low volumes means high markup to make decent money.

I dont think you could say sailboard retailers make a high margin, at full retail on a board there might be $400-$500 in it but most shops offer discounts of to regular customers even a 10 percent discount will mean you might only make $200 to $300 on a $2000 board . compared to alot of industries that work on 80 to 100% mark up. Thenm you.ve got trades which really can burden the shops as more than their profit can be sitting on the rack in the form of a trade.

Mobydisc
NSW, 9029 posts
15 May 2008 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

bc said...

I dont think you could say sailboard retailers make a high margin, at full retail on a board there might be $400-$500 in it but most shops offer discounts of to regular customers even a 10 percent discount will mean you might only make $200 to $300 on a $2000 board . compared to alot of industries that work on 80 to 100% mark up. Thenm you.ve got trades which really can burden the shops as more than their profit can be sitting on the rack in the form of a trade.

Thats really the point I want to make. Most windsurfer retailers probably don't do it for the money but because they enjoy the sport and want to be part of the industry. The only way they will make decent money is to markup their prices a fair bit. When you take into account warranty replacements, discounts, upkeep, marketing, wages, GST, insurance, rent etc etc etc, it would be hard make a decent profit.

Back on topic, the new gear looks good. However it seems to be fashion lead. One sailor starts using twinzers and everyone starts making them. I would have thought a good thruster would be the go for wavesailing anyway.

Wet Willy
TAS, 2316 posts
15 May 2008 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

So...perhaps windsurf shops ought to carry staples like bread, milk, fish n chips, frozen pizzas, timtams, etc, so we could support them with our grocery money as well as our windsurfing money!

Also... fresh vegies, condoms, toothpaste, a range of local and imported chocolates, bottled water, and of course PET FOOD!!

Whaddya reckon??

hoop
1979 posts
15 May 2008 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

You forgot beer

patsken
WA, 706 posts
15 May 2008 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

It's all flash gear.... looks great but I don't think my sailing will improve THAT much if I buy it now.

Think I might buy last years models for a good discount or wait until next year to get this years models --- Oh my God, I've confused myself !!!!

Mind you those Twinnies are tempting

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"2009 Toys" started by Gonewindsurfing247