Forums > Windsurfing General

2012 Wave Nationals — its happening!

Created by Willaus0001 > 9 months ago, 7 Feb 2012
Willaus0001
QLD, 333 posts
7 Feb 2012 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

After the disappointment and frustration recently over the announcement that the Wave Nats were cancelled at the Gold Coast, it is my great great pleasure to announce that the 2012 Wave Nationals WILL take place at Woolgoolga, NSW on the dates of (28/9 - 5/10).

A massive thanks must go out to Warren Holder and Tim Williams and the NSWWA for coming to the table and offering expertise and support to make this happen!

Anyway, this is obviously great news and the spring dates mean everyone (including the organisers) have plenty of time to make sure we all make this an incredible event. More details about sponsors coming soon!

Cheers.
Will

northsail
NSW, 97 posts
8 Feb 2012 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

I will be there. School holidays.

Carantoc
WA, 6666 posts
8 Feb 2012 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Carantoc
WA, 6666 posts
8 Feb 2012 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

Great for anyone who lives in Woolgooga

(oh wait - that's me )

and can actually sail in the waves

(oh wait, that's not me)

peto
NSW, 406 posts
10 Feb 2012 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

Good work Will, Waz and Tim. I think maybe 'advertising' it bigger in the Wave Forum would be good... Are these the set dates? I would be looking at coming up and booking accom soon. Fully understand if there is more changes to dates/venues, just curious as I would like to head up for it. Thanks.

Donk
NSW, 390 posts
10 Feb 2012 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

Is the state round being held immediately after the Nationals?

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
10 Feb 2012 11:14PM
Thumbs Up

Carantoc said...

Great for anyone who lives in Woolgooga

(oh wait - that's me )

and can actually sail in the waves

(oh wait, that's not me)

Oh my god,,,for once I totally agree with you.
See, we can agree on some things.LOL

Good news on the comp in Woopi,, as long as they dont leave a big mess as in previous years and none of the crew think its dounut time when they are on the beach in their 4x4 as the year before last.Was poor form by older crew that should know better.

The biggest problem is there is only room for 5 or so cars to park, then a National comp gets held and 50 odd cars make their own car park spots off the access track by driving into the bush and grass.
The local volenteer landcare/dunecare groups were not too impressed.Years of bush regeneration gets destroyed in one weekend.
Maybe a mini bus shuttle from the main road would be a good idea.?

bobjc
14 posts
13 Feb 2012 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

really a nice information to share thanks for posting

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
14 Feb 2012 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Id guess that being a big National event that the local councils have approved at this public beach,
surely they would come to the party and supply a porta loo so no one is doing their bussiness in the dunes, a wheelie bin and maybe go halves in the mini bus to help protect the area?
The comp will bring money to the local bussiness, hotels, bowls club pokies so the local council should help out?
Wouldnt they?

Long Reef
SA, 582 posts
15 Feb 2012 1:56PM
Thumbs Up

Great infrastructure suggestions. You are quite corrrect about the parking issues for the Northside venue (Southerly winds). All these factors will need consideration for the council submission. I'm sure sailors will be responsible - the Marine Parks Authority are particularly protective of the little terns (birds) that nest in the area.

dism
NSW, 660 posts
16 Feb 2012 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Woopi is amazing.

Most important to the successful Flat Top nats - organise a foolproof environmental plan to protect the Marine Reserve, beach, Little Tern colony

Start talking to Coffs NPWS early, the birds will be turning up towards the end/just after of the event window - www.environment.nsw.gov.au/newsroom

Hint - issue is mainly with kiters presenting a predator like shape near terns - so Ws not issue, as long as stay away from nesting site (map below)

Enviro Zones
www.coffsharbour.nsw.gov.au/moving-around/Documents/WoolgoolgaBackBeach4WD.pdf

Glad someones taking up running the event - sing out if need a hand with an enviro applications - i'm sure NSWWA is on top of this after states there

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
16 Feb 2012 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

The little terns wont be a problem that time of year,its just before they arrive.
The main complaints were from volunteer groups about no amenties for a large event(dunny paper and crap in the dunes) and the destruction of the vegetation from lack of parking area for a large event.
Surely the council would provide some sort of amenities? And go halves in a shuttle bus for the weekend?
Im guessing you guys probly pay the local council a bit of coin to use the public area for the nationals for permission to set up tents, liability etc, you would think you would get something back from them?
I have a mate in the local council,will ask how this stuff works tomorrow.

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
16 Feb 2012 11:49PM
Thumbs Up

"LARGE EVENT!" lol

a couple of windsurfers don't sh!t in the dunes! they get angels to take their poos away in bags after the volleyball!

Donk
NSW, 390 posts
17 Feb 2012 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Mr Levy can't believe his luck. Those angels.......

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
17 Feb 2012 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

greenleader said...

"LARGE EVENT!" lol
a couple of windsurfers don't sh!t in the dunes! they get angels to take their poos away in bags after the volleyball!

I think the above pic was from the last kitesurfing comp.
This is a pic from the last windsurfers comp, that poor little angel.

My mate from the council said there was a ratio of ,so many porta loos per competiters/spectators,
but wasnt sure on the exact number but is looking into it.
Also said that pervisions have to be made for parking/extra traffic for events expecting more than usual parking issues and accessibility for the event.
More than likely, just a way for the local council to charge more for the use of a public area,,,party poopers,,,but more of a reason to try and screw them to the wall to help and provide these things, for the extra money comming into town.

Stuthepirate
SA, 3589 posts
17 Feb 2012 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

lotofwind said...
This is a pic from the last windsurfers comp, that poor little angel.

Looks like the old blokes having the most fun.
In the other pic, looks like the young blokes just sitting there too afraid of what his mates would think.

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
17 Feb 2012 11:29PM
Thumbs Up

I know,
dont you know who that is????

mitchritz
22 posts
18 Feb 2012 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

nice place i will be traveling in my holidays

Subscribe