Forums > Windsurfing General

Burrum Windfest 2012 Latest News

Created by Gestalt > 9 months ago, 21 Jan 2012
Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
21 Jan 2012 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

I have some very big news for the Burrum Windfest 2012.

I can now confirm that Col Leonhardt from www.windsurfaustralia.com will be covering the Burrum Wiindfest event in march.
This is a first for this type of event on the east coast and is very exciting news.

Col's work is world class and we are very proud to be able to have him as part of the event. Col's has been widely publicised worldwide covering events like the Cervantes speed event and the australian wavesailing titles.

for those not familiar with col, his latest work can be found at http://www.windsurfermag.com/magazine/cervantes-speed-2011-helicopter-shoot/?params=MjV8MzEwfDA=
don't forget to check out the video.

additionally, having col at the event allows us to take advantage of his helicopter chase photography. This is an opportunity not to be missed and i would encourage everyone to take up this option.

this will see an extra cost over the entrance fee for those keen to participate but i highly recommend it. If you are interested in having a helicopter chase session please contact me to get your name on the list. How this will work is that the helicopter will chase you down and back up the speed course taking your choice of aerial still photos or video or both if you sign up for 2 runs.

my email is windwanderers at netspace.net.au

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
21 Jan 2012 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

That is very big news Justin, huge in fact

I was very lucky to see Col in action at Cervantes last year, I can tell you it's a bloody awesome sight seeing that chopper chasing sailors on their run and about as exciting as it can get having it up your tail as you're going for it Because I was unprepared and didn't put two and two together I never signed up, I was spewing when I realised I missed out, I won't make that mistake again. I was lucky to find Col had a short video of me so I scabbed that off him, now my family and friends mistakenly think I'm a windsurfing rock star, money well spent. I'll be signing up this time

Here's a couple of photos I took of Col in action, posted before...

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
21 Jan 2012 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

great photos firie,
i'm really excited about this part of the event.

i've got you on the list, plus a couple of others already as well.

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
21 Jan 2012 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

Gestalt said...

i've got you on the list, plus a couple of others already as well.

Thanks mate, saves me the email

F2
QLD, 209 posts
21 Jan 2012 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

Justin, put my name down please, this is really great news for the contest, i will give you a call next week, Geoff

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
22 Jan 2012 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

good stuff geoff.

HF
WA, 167 posts
23 Jan 2012 8:24AM
Thumbs Up

As Justin has mentioned we will be coming over for this years event to make a video like the one below and we will also be offering everyone the opportunity to have their photo taken from the helicopter, video as well. This is the first time we've done this outside of W.A and is a great way of getting some unique images of yourself sailing.
Cost: Still Photography - $150.00 We will follow you on the entire speed run and back and you get all photos taken (approx. 50-80 photos).
Video - $150 Same as above and you will receive all video shot plus a copy in slow motion.

Feel free to ask either myself or Justin any questions, my contact www.windsurfaustralia.com/ www.helifotos.com.au/ and Justins windwanderers at netspace.net.au

Ellobuddha
NSW, 625 posts
23 Jan 2012 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

Wow - thats really cheap!!!!!! Great opportunity!

Haggar
QLD, 1664 posts
23 Jan 2012 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome Gesty !

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
23 Jan 2012 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Col, buddha and Haggar,

it is a great opportunity. very happy indeed.

Col deserves a special thankyou for this. he is going above and beyond to make this happen.

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
23 Jan 2012 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

Latest news to hand!

the Seven Network have confirmed they will be attending this years event.

Haircut
QLD, 6481 posts
23 Jan 2012 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

ONYA COL!

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/d8f/db6/d8fdb623-c3ef-41ea-ab42-cb6105a1b0bf

out of curiosity, how to you get the chopper over here? do you transport it by road, fly it etc?

firiebob
WA, 3145 posts
23 Jan 2012 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Haircut said...

out of curiosity, how to you get the chopper over here? do you transport it by road, fly it etc?

I believe he's organised a chopper and pilot from Qld

F2
QLD, 209 posts
23 Jan 2012 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

Chopper from Hervey Bay,. things are looking good for the speed event,best yet.

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
1 Feb 2012 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

hi guys latest updates and flyer

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
1 Feb 2012 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

Event Details, Sponsors and Prizes

2012 Burrum Windfest prize pool

KA Sail 2012 Koncept giveaway
weekend accomodation package
windsurfing mast
chinook boom
select fin
gun gear bags
windsurfing lessons
seabreeze merchandise

2012 Burrum Windfest Sponsors

Gold sponsors for the event are

KA Sail
Burrum Sands Holiday Units

KA sail are once again providing full support for the event and providing a 2012 KA Koncept of choice (and availability) as a giveaway for one of the lucky entrants.

KA are also providing a KA flyer to each competitor and visitor that includes a KA webshop redeemable voucher allowing generous discount for online purchases.

Burrum Sands have offered us use of their fascilites to host the end of event Ceremony/bbq and use their property on the beach overlooking the speed run as event HQ.

Burrum Sands have also included a weekend accomodation to the prize pool.

Silver sponsors for the event are

caloundra wind and surf - mast prize
sunshine coast sailboards - select fin prize
surfconnect - chinook boom and 2 x windsurifng lessons prizes
windsurfingsales - gun gear bags
seabreeze - seabreeze merchandise
KA72 Speed reader - event timing
burrum heads butchery - end of event ceremony sponsor

Classes are.

Open division
5x10 + NM
Womens Division
5x10 + NM
Youth Division (under 18)
5x10
Legends Division (over 60)
5x10

note, Womens, Youth & Legends are also able to include their results within the open division. minimum 2 competitors per class.

all competitors must wear a buoyancy vert and hold current AWA insurance.

no wind limit is in place. max board width of 85cm. p.s. don't forget your bigger gear.

Event Program

Friday morning signon
Saturday night party at Burrum Hotel (courtesy busses provided)
Sunday night Official end of event BBQ
(bbq is part of competitors entry fees)

Event Entry Fee

$55

insurance can be purchased at the event for $25

Accomodation
For all accommodation please contact
Burrum Sands Holiday Units - www.burrumsands.com.au/
Elders Real Estate Burrum Heads - burrumheads.eldersrealestate.com.au/

Travel

Burrum Heads is 5 hours drive north of Brisbane and 30 minutes drive north of Hervey Bay.
Hervey Bay also has Airport facilities which receive daily flights from Brisbane, Sydney and Lady Elliot Island. Via Virgin and Qantas.
www.frasercoastairport.com.au/index.php?page=flight-information-schedules
Both Shuttles and Hire Cars are available at the Hervey Bay Airport.
www.frasercoastairport.com.au/index.php?page=transport-services

NB: Burrum Windfest is an official WindWanderers Inc Event.

ka72
QLD, 580 posts
2 Feb 2012 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds great Justin, cant wait

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
6 Feb 2012 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

More Friendly Sponsor and Prizes Updates

The guys at SurfFX on the gold coast are joining in the support of the event as sponsors.

they've been long time supporters of the windwanderers over the years and i'm really happy to have their involvement again. there is a rumour, but not confirmed, that they are trying to come along also.

SurfFX support adds a really good boost to the prize pool by donating a naish boom plus dakine harness lines.

as some further prizes the Windwanders have "acquired" a copy of windrider plus 2 copies of Wild Tracks to include as prizes and or giveaways. 2 classic aussie windsurf movies.

so now the total prize pool sits at.

KA Sail 2012 Koncept giveaway
weekend accomodation package
windsurfing mast
chinook boom
naish boom
select fin
gun gear bags
dakine harness lines
windsurfing lessons
seabreeze sunglasses
dvd's

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
6 Feb 2012 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

with an update to the sponsors list comes a new flyer.

AusMoz
QLD, 1451 posts
8 Feb 2012 12:37PM
Thumbs Up

I like it ! Sounds Like a bloody good weekend ahead!!!!

GCmoz

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
8 Feb 2012 5:21PM
Thumbs Up

cheers Moz!

i have one more big announcement to make but it's not over the line as yet. fingers crossed in the next few days the details get sorted out.

JonesySail
QLD, 1083 posts
8 Feb 2012 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds great, and yes to Photo and or Video Shoot, presuming the Burrum Heads Caravan Park is the most likely camp ground near to the sailing spot?
Rumor has it its a 'better speed run' than Elliot heads, big call, especially as Elliot always attracts wind....look forward to it, hope its windy.

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
9 Feb 2012 2:31AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Michael,

name added to the list for the photo shoot.

it's interesting with elliot heads. it does get good wind and it doesn't have fraser to windward in a SE. i'm not sure if it gets better wind than burrum though and the runs at burrum are much much better. the main run at burrum is out a fair way so doesn't have land to mess things up plus burrum works in almost any wind direction.
both great spots but burrum is just a whole lot bigger with way more options.

the permits cover 3 areas at burrum, the main 4.5km run, the 2km northern run along burrum point and the northern bank of the main run probably about 1km.
depending on conditions on the day we will set the course for any one of those 3 options.

there is a good group of people staying at the Burrum Heads Beachfront Caravan park. it's right near the main shops and walking distance to burrum sands. from there you can drive your gear to torbanlea street to rig up. it's only about 2 minutes drive if that (2 blocks). most people that rent houses etc around town park in torbanlea street. it is on the beach and 50m from Speed HQ.

there is a post in this thread about the caravan park.
let me know if you need any more info and i'll help you out.

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Gps/Burrum-Heads-2012-Book-Now/?page=-2?src=rss

AusMoz
QLD, 1451 posts
9 Feb 2012 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

Add me for the photo/video shoot too!

cheers

GCmoz

JonesySail
QLD, 1083 posts
9 Feb 2012 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info,

Lookinforward to it...the photos look great, bit embarrassed to say have never sailed there!..

Mux
QLD, 226 posts
9 Feb 2012 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

Is it a rock up and register or pre register on the net, thinking of going up but undecided leaning to the going up

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
9 Feb 2012 11:35PM
Thumbs Up

@moz, cheers mate, name is on the list.

@Mux, Hi Andrew, we will start registration next week. i like pre register as it gives me an idea of numbers. but you are more than welcome to rock up on the day.
there are a lot of people that go regardless of forecast as it's part of their holidays, so no matter what happens you'll have a great time.

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
10 Feb 2012 12:04AM
Thumbs Up

Burrum Windfest 2012 very big news No.2 can be explained in 4 words.

The Barge Is Back!

This year the Hervey Bay MV DayTripper has joined the event as a gold sponsor. This has been no mean feat and has only been made possible with a high level of support from the Hervey Bay Daytripper team. Personally i am very happy and appreciative to have them joining us. The daytripper team hope to help make the barge a permanent part of the event moving forward and are also hoping to assist with future sponsor connections with local bussinesses.

The Barge provides us with numerous positive outcomes including

a bbq on the bank,
tea and coffee facilities,
transport for spare gear,
spectator support,
a remote HQ,

If we have any days with too light winds the barge will be able to drop us off across the river providing access to burrum point for the day to sup, bbq, swim and explore the area.

the barge is also licensed!

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
10 Feb 2012 12:12AM
Thumbs Up

not to bombard the flyer postings, but with a new sponsor comes a new flyer.
if a mod can delete the previous flyers i would appreciate it. unfortunately i don't have that abilbity.

Windxtasy
WA, 4014 posts
10 Feb 2012 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a great event.
I hope your wind is more reliable than ours this season.

Gestalt
QLD, 14393 posts
10 Feb 2012 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

cheers Anita,

fingers crossed.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Burrum Windfest 2012 Latest News" started by Gestalt