Created by Gestalt > 9 months ago, 6 Jan 2013
Gestalt
QLD, 14377 posts
6 Jan 2013 11:21PM
Thumbs Up

/images/misc/forum-image-missing.gif

Hi Guys

it's on again, BURRUM WINDFEST 2013!!

big news for this year is the event will now be held over a full week. running from march 9th-15th.

the format will remain similar to previous years, so bring your speed kit, your sups, the fishing rods and most importantly your family and friends.

For those new to the event the format involves gps speed sailing along 1 of two prime locations. the first being a 4.5km sand bank and the second a 2.5km bank. the setup is a sight to behold and allows us flexibility with prevailing wind patterns during the event.

the event is geared towards both serious speed competitors and funsters plus their families. during the day we make the most of what's at hand. if it's windy then we open the course. each competitor at the end of the day lodges their gps data with the race officials to allow tallying of results within respective classes. classes, like previous years will include, masters, womens, youth and gps champ with prizes and giveaways for all lucky competitors. Burrum is the best speed sailing location in qld and has previously held the Australian gps nautical mile speed record

for those times when it's not so windy, we enjoy the social side of windsurfing with lessons for beginner, sup races, bbq's or just lazing in the sun and sharing a beer with the rods in the water.

continuing on the traditions of previous years 2013 will include the end of event bbq at the burrum sands as well as the mid event catchup at the burrum hotel.

entrance fees this year have increased slightly to take into account the additional days of competition and the need for additional rescue craft to facilitate this. to help reduce the costs this year we are providing a discount for competitors who chose to sign on early. details can be found on the windwanderers site
www.windwanderers.org.au/Events/BurrumWindfest2013.aspx

this year dylan has greatly improved the registration process by creating an online payments process. (thanks dylan).

The Burrum Sands Holiday Units will once again be event HQ as well as event sponsors. the location of Burrum Sands overlooking the course and proximity to the water makes it the ideal place to stage the event. It is also the location of the end of event bbq and presentation ceremony. during the event a blackboard will be placed at the beach steps to the burrum sands to help keep everyone informed of weather conditions and event outlines.

accommodation can be found at
the burrum sands holiday units,
www.burrumsands.com.au/
elders burrum heads
burrumheads.eldersrealestate.com.au/
burrum heads beachfront caravan park.
http://www.beachfronttouristparks.com.au/index.php?page=burrum-heads-beachfront-caravan-park

there is a multitude of accommodation to rent from houses to units to tents spaces.

Burrum Heads is a picturesque qld beachfront town. it centres it's lifestyle around the connection with the water. it's quiet and perfect for a windsurfing based holiday.

for those not windsurfing literate, Hervey Bay is only 30mins south, ideal for a daytrip. hervey bay has shops, waterpark, restaurants and hotels plus has access to fraser island and surrounds.
www.discoverherveybay.com/

further event details will be advertised over the following 4 weeks, including full prize/giveaway pool, event sponsors and event details.

each year the event sees between 60-70 family and friends return to burrum heads for the event. i look forward to catching up with old friends and making new ones.

best regards
Justin.

sailpilot
QLD, 783 posts
7 Jan 2013 11:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hmmm, a week of Burrum. Now that'd have be twice as good as a half week at Burrum !

OK you've convinced me....again

Gestalt
QLD, 14377 posts
7 Jan 2013 11:57PM
Thumbs Up

cheers phil,

be good to see you there again and catch up.

Rolz
QLD, 161 posts
15 Jan 2013 12:31PM
Thumbs Up

Been hearing really good things about this event and hope to make it up there this year :)

Gestalt
QLD, 14377 posts
15 Jan 2013 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

that's great to hear greentwig.

i'm always keen to encourage people to the event.

cheers
Justin.

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
15 Jan 2013 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

count me in!

S018
SA, 338 posts
16 Jan 2013 12:29AM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic Event on the calender
Sadly I'll miss this year and see you all the year after !
Good luck with the event
I'll be watching from way back here in SA, this time.

Rolz
QLD, 161 posts
17 Jan 2013 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

Just paid my registration... locked in week off work and just about to book accommodation...

Can't wait!

Rolz (was GreenTwig, changed to get consistency between GPSTeamChallenge.com.au and SeaBreeze.com.au)

Gestalt
QLD, 14377 posts
18 Jan 2013 12:02AM
Thumbs Up

will see you there rolz!

cheers david, thanks for the kind words. will definitely catch up next year.

hey ian, will do.....

Gestalt
QLD, 14377 posts
18 Jan 2013 12:10AM
Thumbs Up

so guys, a quick update.

i can now confirm that the neil pryde, JP trailer will be attending this years event!!!!!!!

that is fantastic news as everyone that knows the trailer will agree.

at last years event the trailer was in use every day. it contains jp sups, rs ones, jp freeride, slalom and wave boards and a full array of neil pryde rigs, and, it's there for all to take advantage of. the rs ones were used to explore the area and the sups got everyone including family and friends out on the water.

so....sup races will be on again!!!

big thanks to neil pryde jp australia and the team at surf fx for access to the trailer.

Gestalt
QLD, 14377 posts
7 Feb 2013 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

classes announced for Windfest

EVENT DISCIPLINES

Open Division Champ – 5x10 sec
Open Division Nautical Mile Title
Open Division 2 sec peak

legends Division Champ – 5x10 sec
(over 60 years of age)
legends Division Nautical Mile
(over 60 years of age)

Women's Division Champ – 5x10 Sec
Women's Division Nautical Mile

Youth Champ – 5x10 sec (min 2 competitors needed)
(A youth shall not have had their 19th birthday on or before competition dates.

** master class is for over 60 and will be referred to as legends.

winddude
WA, 92 posts
7 Feb 2013 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

Over 65 years? Wow.
Is there anyone that old. Maybe 50 plus would be better?

Gestalt
QLD, 14377 posts
7 Feb 2013 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

there is a quite a few. it is highly contested.

but, done, dropped a little.

F2
QLD, 209 posts
7 Feb 2013 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

Count me in, just paid should be great.

Rolz
QLD, 161 posts
3 Mar 2013 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

How's things travelling? We all good to go? Just haven't seen any updates in a little bit and being my first time up there just touching base

da vecta
QLD, 2512 posts
3 Mar 2013 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

greenleader said...
count me in!

When we're out sailing will there be on-the-shore activities for Wives, Girlfriends and Greenleader this year?

Rolz
QLD, 161 posts
3 Mar 2013 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

da vecta said...
greenleader said...
count me in!

When we're out sailing will there be on-the-shore activities for Wives, Girlfriends and Greenleader this year?

That would prove most useful if there were some extra activities for non-sailors... I'm bringing up my learner gear so the GF can practice, but if there is other stuff that would be most awesome :)

ka72
QLD, 580 posts
3 Mar 2013 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

Non windsurfers should have plenty to keep them busy. JP/Neil Pryde trailer will have SUPs to try out. There is a pool table/table tennis/ darts board/swimming pool/kaykays/low tide golf driving platform at The Sands Motel. Fishing, beachcombing at low tide, shopping 25 minutes down the road at Hervey Bay. Social night at the pub (sat 9 March). BBQ end of event party (15 March)

I'm happy to give any one a windsurfing lesson, we will also have the Starboard (Windwanderers club)small kids rig there so able to cater for any.
going to be great
See you all up there
Kellie

da vecta
QLD, 2512 posts
4 Mar 2013 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Kellie. That lesson sounds enticing. Might have to take you up on that.

sailpilot
QLD, 783 posts
4 Mar 2013 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Re non-sailing activities, I'll be taking a trailbike down for some Fraser Island riding if any other riders or 4wders are interested in doing a trip, give me a yell.
Of course having non sailing activities ready is bound to encourage the wind gods !

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
4 Mar 2013 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

Actually Phil, it'd be really appreciated if you didn't bring any sailing gear at all. Come on someone's gotta make the sacrifice

Gestalt
QLD, 14377 posts
4 Mar 2013 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

it seems to be working phil [}:)]
must say i do like how the colours match my helmet.

Little Jon
NSW, 2115 posts
5 Mar 2013 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

Wish I was going

sailpilot
QLD, 783 posts
5 Mar 2013 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

sausage said...
Actually Phil, it'd be really appreciated if you didn't bring any sailing gear at all. Come on someone's gotta make the sacrifice

I'll only bring it if you promise to show me how to use it again ! but sober this time

Gestalt
QLD, 14377 posts
5 Mar 2013 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

Little Jon said...
Wish I was going

i understand your pain little jon,

i'd love to get to more events then i do also. especially green island......

Gestalt
QLD, 14377 posts
7 Mar 2013 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

Burrum windfest update! guys with only 2 days left until event kick off i would like to give all of the event sponsors a plug.

the sponsors for the 6th annual windfest 2013 are..........

gold sponsors..

caloundra wind and surf
burrum sands holiday units

silver sponsors...

surf fx
sunshine coast sailboards
windsurfing sales
jordans boat hire
surf connect

thankyou very much to all sponsors for their continued support of the event. in this years prize pool we have fins, boom, quiver/gear bags, harnesses and accessories, dvd's , weekend accomodation and more. plus new to the event this year are trophies for place getters.

as well, this year the major prize lucky draw is an nxs speed/slalom board to the value of $2000 from caloundra wind and surf.

so once again thankyou to all of the sponsors and for continuing to provide a fantastic prize pool. it is also great news that we will again be joined at the event by the guys sponsoring the event.

now for the weather update.....

the forecast is outstanding, with a low doing a tour of the coral sea and soon expected to become a cyclone we are confident of some very decent winds. the bom is forecasting 20-25 knots for the first 3 days of the event. it has been blowing 20-25knots for the last 3-4 days at burrum so the lead up is also excellent.

beyond the first 3 days all of the models i have viewed are suggesting increasing winds with 30-40 knots possible by mid week. directions vary from ESE to SSE which will all work for either the northern run or the main run. but ultimately the position and timing of the potential cyclone will determine the outcome.

some models are forecasting the low/cyclone to move south, but stay east of the qld coastline. this would be an ideal scenario for the event. it means the rainfall will be kept to a minimum and provide strong SE winds to the competition area. fingers crossed for this outcome.

there are also 2 models suggesting an eventual western track with the low/cyclone making landfall around central queensland or sunshine coast. with coral sea cyclones anything and everything is possible.

i will be providing updates every night of the competiition on seabreeze to keep everyone up to date.

Gestalt
QLD, 14377 posts
8 Mar 2013 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

At burrum now. Wind is 20kn sse, white caps across the bay bank is out and water is glassy. Perfect direction for the main run. Sun is out, cloudy in spots with blue skies poking through. Water is not as brown as expected after the 2 months of rain.
On mobile with patchy reception but will update daily. :-)

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Burrum Windfest 2013" started by Gestalt