Forums > Windsurfing General

Coronation beach-Today 03/02/2010

Created by jh2703 > 9 months ago, 3 Feb 2010
jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
4 Feb 2010 12:20AM
Thumbs Up

I'm on holiday in the west and happen to enjoy a bit of photograpy, I snapped these today while out at Coronation.

Hope you all enjoy...Was an epic day and a joy to photograph.

Cheers...Jase.

Note:If your not at all happy with showing of your awesome talent let me know and i'll pull your pic down and burn the evidence.

AUS1111
WA, 3619 posts
3 Feb 2010 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

NIce work Jase - keep the pics and coming. Sounds like you're having the time of your life up there

raggy
VIC, 564 posts
4 Feb 2010 12:46AM
Thumbs Up

jh2703 said...

I'm on holiday in the west and happen to enjoy a bit of photograpy, I snapped these today while out at Coronation.

Hope you all enjoy...Was an epic day and a joy to photograph.

Cheers...Jase.

Note:If your not at all happy with showing of your awesome talent let me know and i'll pull your pic down and burn the evidence.

nice photos mate i only get the fun of work enjoy your self bro

petermac33
WA, 6415 posts
4 Feb 2010 6:47AM
Thumbs Up

not a race sail in sight....

pierrec45
NSW, 2005 posts
4 Feb 2010 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

Nice swell.

What was the equipment and zoom ?
How many did you chuck out for each good one for reasons of bluriness?
Just curious.

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
4 Feb 2010 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

pierrec45 said...

Nice swell.

What was the equipment and zoom ?
How many did you chuck out for each good one for reasons of bluriness?
Just curious.

pierrec45,

I used a Canon 400D digital SLR with a 100-400mm zoom, Thanks to the inbuilt image stabilizer you don't get too many dodgy photos. I did shoot over 8GB of shots in that afternoon, it's just a matter of going through them all and picking the ones you like....There will be a lot that never see the light of day, but i keep them anyway.

Cheers.

pierrec45
NSW, 2005 posts
4 Feb 2010 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

Stabilisers are way more efficient with SLRs than cheapos for sports shots, not sure why.
Good stuff anyways.

stehsegler
WA, 3465 posts
4 Feb 2010 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

there is no image stabilizer build into the 400D. It's actually inside the lens...

... as to why that would work better? Well you little compact digi cam cost all of $500 and has enough electronics crammed in to power Apollo 13. In a large size lens in comparison (like the 100-400 Canon IS) the majority of the lens is used up by a optical system ie the lenses. That construction then allows for either an electronic and/or a fluid stabilization system. I could bore you to death with more details for hour but leave it at that... just remember the golden rule... with optical systems you always get what you pay for.

BTW, the shots you showed would be without motion blur because there was a truck load of light around. It looks like most of the shots where taken around mid day... I assume the lens was shooting at 5.6 and about 400 ISO... at that setting you'd be shooting with a minimum shutter speed of a 1/1000th or a sec (probably more). You really have to have a shaky hand to motion blur photos at those shutter speeds.

A tip for shooting anything out towards the ocean. Try and keep the horizon straight. Otherwise the image looks unbalanced. Kind a like the ocean is about to drain out of the photo...

Luck bastard! Would love to stay Corros in those conditions right now...

Trousers
SA, 565 posts
4 Feb 2010 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

hey Jase,

good to see you're having fun and the conditions are coming through for you. keep with the updates and photos.

jumping/gybing on waves/overpowered! - i am currently sitting in my office wishing I was you.

cheers,
Shane.

Kokopelli
VIC, 35 posts
4 Feb 2010 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

Excellent photos, Well done! Thumbs up for optical stabilisers, making better photographers out of all of us. Now if I could just get my wife to catch me doing something cool instead of getting me crashing all the time........

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
4 Feb 2010 4:13PM
Thumbs Up

stehsegler said...

BTW, the shots you showed would be without motion blur because there was a truck load of light around. It looks like most of the shots where taken around mid day... I assume the lens was shooting at 5.6 and about 400 ISO... at that setting you'd be shooting with a minimum shutter speed of a 1/1000th or a sec (probably more). You really have to have a shaky hand to motion blur photos at those shutter speeds.

Sorry....way to much information for me to take in, I just point and shoot and hope for the best.

Thanks for the tips though, I'll take them on board and hopefully I'll get some top quality pics before the trips over. Like most males I don't read instructions so if you have anymore tips on how to capture good windsurfing action, Please forward it on.

Cheers...Jase.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Coronation beach-Today 03/02/2010" started by jh2703