Forums > Windsurfing General

Dolphin slaughter - The Cove (ABC1 830PM Sunday)

Created by WindWarrior > 9 months ago, 28 Aug 2011
WindWarrior
NSW, 1019 posts
28 Aug 2011 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone see it ???
I am truly amazed this type of thing can be allowed to occur.

As the Doco stated...
"you're either an activist or a non-activist"

Where do you stand ?

Windxtasy
WA, 4014 posts
28 Aug 2011 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

What a well produced and compelling program. I had no intention of watching it but couldn't drag myself away.
The dedication and bravery of those activists in collecting their video and audio evidence is amazing.

dan berry
WA, 2562 posts
29 Aug 2011 6:57AM
Thumbs Up

My favorite bit was at the whaling commission where the Japanese delegate said the reason there are less fish in the ocean is due to the whales and dolphins eating them all!!!! Therefore we should cull them to fix the problem. I propose the reason there are less whales and dolphins in the ocean due to nations such as Japan fishing them into extinction. Maybe we should fix that problem by culling the Japanese fishing fleets.
Was also disturbing listening to the tales of the older Japanese butchers telling of the old days where they would see horizon to horizon full of whales, then proceed to kill them all and laugh.

Jens
WA, 342 posts
29 Aug 2011 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

Certainly was a powerful film. Being a slickly produced American doco I kept expecting the good news kicker at the end that since this film has been made the dolphin slaughter has been outlawed by the outraged Japanese population. Didn't happen, and Berry's efforts with the walking monitor are testament to that. That work is still to be done...

Al McLeod
VIC, 633 posts
29 Aug 2011 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Pretty nasty stuff.
Not about Japanese slaughters or anything but dolphins all the same - www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080610092720.htm
The primary source of mercury is from wastewater that then settles in the sediment in the bay - interestingly the biggest contributor to mercury in waste water is dentistry!

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
29 Aug 2011 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

I hope they all get mercury poisoning, turned my gut but I had to make myself watch it.

Mark _australia
WA, 22238 posts
29 Aug 2011 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

As I sit here eating my dolphin steak I now wonder that it may not have been an enironmentally friendly choice.

Missed the Cove, worth watching is it?

busterwa
3777 posts
29 Aug 2011 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Its very disturbing well i found it to be. Pretty cowardly of the slaughterers. but hey im not a vegetarian.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
29 Aug 2011 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

Culture, diet choices, politics and propaganda aside, it was a fairly brutal method of despatching them, it makes the Indonesian abbattoirs look pretty good.

MikeyS
VIC, 1506 posts
29 Aug 2011 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

Didn't see it but have seen a few scenes in the past. Enough to make you cry.

Having had several dolphin encounters in the wild, both sailboarding and boating, where these critters fearlessly approach you just to check you out and have a play, I can't comprehend how people can club them to death. Never had any kind of "kindred spirit" experience with a cow or a sheep.

I think I'm probably like most people though- an inactive activist.

sideskirt
328 posts
29 Aug 2011 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

felixdcat
WA, 3519 posts
29 Aug 2011 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

I am not even sure they consume the meat, they do not eat a lot of whale meat and they have a stockpile of it, it is not traditional food I heard they started to eat it during the war cause they had no choice.
The Jap gov. try not to upset the whalers.

Mark _australia
WA, 22238 posts
29 Aug 2011 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

MikeyS said...

Never had any kind of "kindred spirit" experience with a sheep.

Not from N.Z huh?

ginger pom
VIC, 1745 posts
29 Aug 2011 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

I'm an inactive activist too. It wouldn't take much though.

We've got two Japanese cars. It's not been made unacceptable for me to do this yet but if a few adverts, t shirts etc

Sitting behind a bumper sticker in traffic that says

"I drive a Holden cos Yanks don't kill whales..."

"Ford - real men don't kill dolphins"

"Holden made in a country where people watch documentaries about how the Toyota-making country kills whales"

and other more creative things...

then I'd pause for thought when I bought my next one... by which time Toyota would have lobbied the Japanese government into submission and no one would be whaling.

Holden play the "Australian cars designed by Australians who watch Australian TV whilst drinking Australian beer from their eskis just before going surfing on Australian waves in Australia"

maybe they should talk down the Japanese a bit more....

MikeyS
VIC, 1506 posts
29 Aug 2011 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

Mark _australia said...

Not from N.Z huh?

and I'm thinking....no, I don't need to say "No New Zealander jokes", but i was wrong.

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
29 Aug 2011 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

In that Doco there was a statement made that even if the whalers where paid the same amont of money to stay home, they wouldnt accept it and would still go out to kill the whales.

dan berry
WA, 2562 posts
30 Aug 2011 1:26AM
Thumbs Up

It was a " matter of getting rid of vermin " according to them. Apparently a large part of the problem is they dont regard whales and dolphin as intelligent mammals, they regard them as fish.

WindWarrior
NSW, 1019 posts
31 Aug 2011 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

Sad reality is that it starts again in a few days with the 'season' running from September through to March.

Maybe it's time for a revival of the 'Save the Whale' type campaign that resulted in the initial banning of whale hunting and the establishment of the IWC.
This was when the IWC actually had power and conviction... there was no shameless corruption and the buying out of votes with a Japanese Government created slush fund had not begun)

Or maybe greater support to the likes of Sea Shepperd could help put an end to the practice of slaughtering whales and dolphins ?

gooey
NSW, 89 posts
31 Aug 2011 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

Now im a dolphin hugger like most and watched the Cove with disgust, but when you consider the issue from the point of view of the Japanese fisherman maybe you can see some logic. Here is a very populated country with minimal land for agriculture or livestock. The majority of Japenese consume fish as their major source of protien (185kg per head per year compared to the Australian population consuming just 19.8 kg per head per year) so the desire to protect their food source is understandable. Kinda like us culling Kangaroos because they are a pest in the National Parks or killing dingos because they are into our sheep.
So killing Dophins to protect your food source is logical but bloody hard to watch from your couch for a dolphin hugger like me.

stehsegler
WA, 3456 posts
31 Aug 2011 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

gooey said...
Kinda like us culling Kangaroos because they are a pest in the National Parks

This practice is seen in line with killing dolphins and whales by many overseas activist groups. The argument is that many of the animals are killed in an inhumane way. In particular the Joes found in the mothers pouch.

Apparently the kangaroo skin trade is worth about $33 million per year. Adidas, Nike and Puma apparently all use kangaroo skin exported from Australian in the manufacturing of their shoes. The skin is valued for it's high strength and relatively low cost.

David Beckham ditched his multi-million dollar Adidas contract in 2007 to protest against the practice. Other supporters include Paul McCartney and our very own Steve Irwin, may he rest in peace.

So I guess in the end there are two questions that need to be answered:

- is the way the dolphins are killed, as portrait in the documentary, cruel

- should dolphins be harvested for consumption in first place

Answer to the first question is definite a yes, it's cruel.

In regards to the second question when you look at the argument the Japanese are brining forward you'd have to say a big no. All arguments are invalid.

Windxtasy
WA, 4014 posts
31 Aug 2011 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

Regardless of whether it is acceptable to kill dolphins, this method of slaughter is inhumane and unacceptable. It looked like the corralled dolphins were stabbed indiscriminately until they bled out. The amount of blood staining in the water of that cove would support that. It takes a lot of blood to colour a whole cove blood red. Death would have been slow and agonising, and the terror conveyed to the other captive dolphins unimaginable. These are intelligent creatures with vocal communication. Such a primitive killing method in such a technologically sophisticated society is unacceptable.

poor relative
WA, 9089 posts
31 Aug 2011 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

Dolphins, Whales, Tigers, Sharks - as humans its all game.
Its just Whales and Dolphins are intelligent and cute.

Video is a bit disturbing but should be watched.

barn
WA, 2960 posts
31 Aug 2011 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

gooey said...

Here is a very populated country with minimal land for agriculture or livestock.

There is a wonderful book called 'Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed' where it describes Japans conscious effort to shift their reliance onto the oceans and away from the land. They were suffering habitat loss, erosion and basically environmental disaster due to overpopulation. It's their culture to live off the sea, and we can thank this culture for the pristine wilderness that survives in Japan..

We can hope they will change, meanwhile lets look in our own backyard.. It's quite embarrassing to rag on the Japs for killing dolphins when we are still doing this.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
31 Aug 2011 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

barn said...

gooey said...

Here is a very populated country with minimal land for agriculture or livestock.

There is a wonderful book called 'Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed' where it describes Japans conscious effort to shift their reliance onto the oceans and away from the land. They were suffering habitat loss, erosion and basically environmental disaster due to overpopulation. It's their culture to live off the sea, and we can thank this culture for the pristine wilderness that survives in Japan..

We can hope they will change, meanwhile lets look in our own backyard.. It's quite embarrassing to rag on the Japs for killing dolphins when we are still doing this.

Um they have been doing this for centurys and like the turtle they kill them for food one at a time. They dont heard them all into a little cove and kill them on mass for school lunches.

barn
WA, 2960 posts
31 Aug 2011 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

doggie said...

Um they have been doing this for centurys and like the turtle they kill them for food one at a time. They dont heard them all into a little cove and kill them on mass for school lunches.

More than a few centuries, closer to 40,000 years. They also practiced a far bit of infanticide, tribal warfare, and running around without any pants.. (most of those same years Europeans were doing exactly the same thing)

The difference is, that the Aboriginals are quite skillful at sending a species to extinction, and considering the dugong is endangered, and one of our last surviving Megafauna, it reeks of double standards for us to allow this while looking down upon the Japanese for hunting dolphins, which they have also hunted for thousands of years..

They don't heard dugongs and turtles into a little cove, they chase them in speed boats..

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
31 Aug 2011 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

barn said...

doggie said...

More than a few centuries, closer to 40,000 years. They also practiced a far bit of infanticide, tribal warfare, and running around without any pants.. (most of those same years Europeans were doing exactly the same thing)

The difference is, that the Aboriginals are quite skillful at sending a species to extinction, and considering the dugong is endangered, and one of our last surviving Megafauna, it reeks of double standards for us to allow this while looking down upon the Japanese for hunting dolphins, which they have also hunted for thousands of years..

They don't heard dugongs and turtles into a little cove, they chase them in speed boats..

Any facts and figures on how many they kill?

qldnacra
QLD, 455 posts
31 Aug 2011 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

barn said...

doggie said...

I totally agree with what Barn says, in this quote anyway. Although i think that both practices are barbaric and unacceptable. They may have been doing it for thousands of years but the speed boat reduces the Dugong's chances significantly and also increases the hunting area by a huge amount.

barn
WA, 2960 posts
31 Aug 2011 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

^^ www.abc.net.au/news/2008-02-06/fisherman-raises-alarm-on-indigenous-dugong-hunt/1034052

According to that link 1600 Dugongs per year, ten years ago..

I would say for an endangered, slow breeding, life time partnering mammal thats 1600 too many..

www.theage.com.au/national/hunting-for-dugong-turtles-cruel-20100414-se6q.html#ixzz1WaNXeVBg

Mr Beatty said that, when hunted, green sea turtles often had their flippers cut off while they were still alive and were then left on beaches in the sun. He said live dugongs were often tied to wharves and had parts of their flesh cut off intermittently to keep the meat fresh.

''In this day and age with refrigeration and freezing, you don't need to be as cruel as that,'' Mr Beatty said.

I don't really care if they are traditional food, if white fella not allowed to hunt dugong, nobody hunt dugong..

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
31 Aug 2011 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

barn said...

^^ www.abc.net.au/news/2008-02-06/fisherman-raises-alarm-on-indigenous-dugong-hunt/1034052

According to that link 1600 Dugongs per year, ten years ago..

I would say for an endangered, slow breeding, life time partnering mammal thats 1600 too many..

www.theage.com.au/national/hunting-for-dugong-turtles-cruel-20100414-se6q.html#ixzz1WaNXeVBg

Mr Beatty said that, when hunted, green sea turtles often had their flippers cut off while they were still alive and were then left on beaches in the sun. He said live dugongs were often tied to wharves and had parts of their flesh cut off intermittently to keep the meat fresh.

''In this day and age with refrigeration and freezing, you don't need to be as cruel as that,'' Mr Beatty said.

I don't really care if they are traditional food, if white fella not allowed to hunt dugong, nobody hunt dugong..

Personally I dont have a problem with Natives eating native food. If you do, do something about it. Nothing will come of it so it will be a waste of your time, not mine....

barn
WA, 2960 posts
31 Aug 2011 4:32PM
Thumbs Up

Native Papuan New Guineans ate native human for food.. Japanese are Native, killing Native animals..

The only reason Dugongs have survived 40000 years of introduced Homo sapiens, is simply because they couldn't catch them in bark rafts.. If they had tinnies with 20hp outboards dugongs would already be extinct..

We are unsustainably hunting Dugongs, we don't have a leg to stand on telling the Japanese they can't cull dolphins.. Which is unfortunate..

felixdcat
WA, 3519 posts
31 Aug 2011 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

barn said...

Native Papuan New Guineans ate native human for food.. Japanese are Native animals, killing Native animals..

The only reason Dugongs have survived 40000 years of introduced Homo sapiens, is simply because they couldn't catch them in bark rafts.. If they had tinnies with 20hp outboards dugongs would already be extinct..

We are unsustainably hunting Dugongs, we don't have a leg to stand on telling the Japanese they can't cull dolphins.. Which is unfortunate..

Do not agree barn.... 2 wrongs do not make 1 right!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Dolphin slaughter - The Cove (ABC1 830PM Sunday)" started by WindWarrior