Forums > Windsurfing General

FIJI - Speedweek August 14-28 2010

Created by Warren Francis > 9 months ago, 25 Jan 2010
Warren Francis
NSW, 206 posts
25 Jan 2010 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

FIJI Speed Week August 14-28th

For those wanting to come and have some fun this year, the above two weeks are dedicated for GPS Windsurfing and Kiting along our 2km Downwinder, as per the following map.

Tony from Melbourne recorded some great times last time he was here and wants to challenge anyone to beat his times!

Email or PM me for more information..

Rgds

Warren Francis

RAL INN
SA, 2884 posts
25 Jan 2010 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

I was thinking starting at the 17-20'-6" line would be more fun.
and perhaps a few bombie markers this time, please Warren.

4Nm single straight run bearing 110 degrees from 30+ kts of wind, on the Missile. should be a laugh.

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
25 Jan 2010 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like a great spot. I assume first prize is that little island to the south west of the speed run.

PS - E5 is my guess for spot the kitesurfer - he's hanging out in the public toilets near the beach

jsr
NSW, 44 posts
26 Jan 2010 9:53AM
Thumbs Up

What is the format and logistics involved if I was interested?

izaak
TAS, 1972 posts
26 Jan 2010 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

sounds great when i was in Fiji it was blowing a constant 25 knots off shore for nearly the whole time i was there, was going to head out with the gear they had at the resort but was very old and fragile gear so went out in a hobbie cat,sheeted out.

whats are some of the speeds recorded there ?? any site ??

choco
SA, 4029 posts
26 Jan 2010 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

I'm keen Jens been bugging me for a holiday to Fiji haven't been there in years....this will work out just fine

Mobydisc
NSW, 9028 posts
26 Jan 2010 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

What sort of costs are we looking at and can they be broken down?
IE: board and sail hire, accomodation, food, local transport and possibly airfares from major cities.

Its on at definately the right time of year.

RAL INN
SA, 2884 posts
27 Jan 2010 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

At this stage we are working on a full package price the includes the following.

1. Transfers from airport.
2. Dorm accom that can be upgraded.
3. Meals
4. no wind activities such as outer reef fishing and snorkelling.
5. 2 support boats and drivers to ferry gear out to reefs.
6. Video footage of the carnage.

We will get to watch said video each night on the 120" projector screen.

As for Gear hire, I will find out. I plan to take my Missile 11 and 5.8Koncept.

Bearing in mind that each reef run session will finish with a downwind blast back to resort. with maybe 2 such session per day if Tide allow. Speaking of Tides, the timing of our trip is such as to match the lunar cycle that gives the lowest low tides which exposes the reef to give a foot highish barrier to the water so imagine 4-5nm of Shallow Inlet speed run smooth water but without any sand dunes.

Travelling with family is great as they only need a couple of pairs of Boardies each coupla T's and Togs, so you get to spread the baggage limit around.

choco
SA, 4029 posts
27 Jan 2010 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

RAL INN said...

At this stage we are working on a full package price the includes the following.

1. Transfers from airport.
2. Dorm accom that can be upgraded.
3. Meals
4. no wind activities such as outer reef fishing and snorkelling.
5. 2 support boats and drivers to ferry gear out to reefs.
6. Video footage of the carnage.

We will get to watch said video each night on the 120" projector screen.

As for Gear hire, I will find out. I plan to take my Missile 11 and 5.8Koncept.

Bearing in mind that each reef run session will finish with a downwind blast back to resort. with maybe 2 such session per day if Tide allow. Speaking of Tides, the timing of our trip is such as to match the lunar cycle that gives the lowest low tides which exposes the reef to give a foot highish barrier to the water so imagine 4-5nm of Shallow Inlet speed run smooth water but without any sand dunes.

Travelling with family is great as they only need a couple of pairs of Boardies each coupla T's and Togs, so you get to spread the baggage limit around.

Sounds great!

Mobydisc
NSW, 9028 posts
27 Jan 2010 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah it does sound great. Rail Inn, I guess you are working this out ex Melbourne. Would it be possible to work out costs from other major cities?

A question about the location, is it suitable for beginner windsurfers, ie flat and not too much wind in the morning? My wife is at the begnner stage, she can sail out and back in light winds on her big board for a few hours in the local lake. She wants to go on a beach holiday where you don't have to pack everything up at the end of the day.

RAL INN
SA, 2884 posts
27 Jan 2010 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

It is the norm that those than come on our Fiji trips to Safari Lodge come from far and wide. At one dinner we actually did a count. 22 people 8 nationalities.

when we quote you your trip the only things that are not included are Airfares and snacks and drinks. A cordial is always included with meals. and a kiosk there that warren sets up each guest with a tab.

So with that considered, it doesn't matter when in Australia you leave from.
Last time I was on a flight leaving Melbourne but with a change over in Brisbane. that was because i used my Frequent flyer points. Lo and behold the plane that I had to go to Brisbane on was delayed in Sydney and it soon became apparent it would land in Brisbane 30+mins after the Fiji one left. Mad panic and shock horror gasp I end up on the direct Melb-nadi flight. the one I wanted in the first place but was told was booked out.

Any way we are encouraging early booking by offering a $500 discount on the 2nd weeks cost to those who book and pay their deposit prior to the end of Feb. Which coincidentally fits right in with the timing for getting the best prices for airfares.

RAL INN
SA, 2884 posts
27 Jan 2010 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

Mobydisc said...

Yeah it does sound great. Rail Inn, I guess you are working this out ex Melbourne. Would it be possible to work out costs from other major cities?

A question about the location, is it suitable for beginner windsurfers, ie flat and not too much wind in the morning? My wife is at the begnner stage, she can sail out and back in light winds on her big board for a few hours in the local lake. She wants to go on a beach holiday where you don't have to pack everything up at the end of the day.

Opps . warren has a few wide body boards and there is a area called something newbie related, that is great for learning. Also at the risk of even further swelling his head, Warren is one of the best windsurfing instructors there is, my wife only gets lessons from him, and I still grab him when I can for a Gybe iron out the bad habits session. we already have one returning family with a 2yo and 9mther coming because of the facilities on offer. But family and couple accom is limited so these should be quicker to act than singles.

I also use an area we call the mud flats, at high tide which gives literally square Kilometers of water waist deep to sail and kite in for beginners. chop is say 30cm in 30 kts. So progression from first time touching a board to freestlye and GPS runs are all right there.

Please make sure you book a lesson with Warren at the same time as we are out on the speed/Flat water course. He only gets in the way out there.

jsr
NSW, 44 posts
27 Jan 2010 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Ral Inn,
I went on to your link, could not conect to your email!!!
I am keen to get more info for N.Z. crew, Will this be a mix of kites and windsurfers?
The more info you can post ASAP will give a bigger window for people to plan ahead.
I am going to Fiji this winter, but on my own, (Same island).(been going for several years).
Now I am keen to join an "event" and mix it with a group of sailors..
Cheers,
Jim

RAL INN
SA, 2884 posts
27 Jan 2010 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

jsr said...

Hi Ral Inn,
I went on to your link, could not conect to your email!!!
I am keen to get more info for N.Z. crew, Will this be a mix of kites and windsurfers?
The more info you can post ASAP will give a bigger window for people to plan ahead.
I am going to Fiji this winter, but on my own, (Same island).(been going for several years).
Now I am keen to join an "event" and mix it with a group of sailors..
Cheers,
Jim

Every year we we have taken a kiting group and this year there will be some kiters for sure. But our kiters this year are all self sufficient and the best kiting spots on the reefs are set in semi circular baylettes in the reef so a trip out would involve Kiters launching from one side of boat into their area. Slalom boarders and floaters off the other side and a short downwind flat water blast onto the upper end of the speed course. the sinkers/ speed boards would wait and launch at the start of the speed run then go for it for a few hours until tide gained some hieght then choose to blast back to Safari lodge or back in boat.

Kiters only leave their baylettes at end for downwind run back to Lodge.So in effect only get to the speed course as a rearguard to the leaving sailboards, or if they are doing a genuine GPS run. the boats cruise back at rear in support of worn out sailors and kiters.

Of course only so many can fit onto the boats and there are just so many beds which means this is a relatively small group so if you are talking a group then and that group are all sailboarders then it is feasible the whole group could be sailboarders.

Let me just say that those with Families need to act quick as the inquiries today have all been Family groups so accommodation is being sucked up.

the email if the link didn't work for you is kites@ralkiteboarding.com

Warren Francis
NSW, 206 posts
2 Feb 2010 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

Howdy

Peter Johnson from Burwood, VIC couldn't wait until August and he and his lovely wife Larisa are here now....she is perfecting the Flare Gybe while Peter is plotting his first speed run.

His GPS and lovely 63 litre board all await ready..

Today they are on a lonely beach celebrating his wife's 40th Birthday! Congratulations Larisa!

Rgds

Warren

RAL INN
SA, 2884 posts
2 Feb 2010 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

That was yesterday Warren. Have you forgot to pick them up?

Old Salty
VIC, 1271 posts
2 Feb 2010 11:39PM
Thumbs Up

Hope you have fun Pete. I certainly did. Want to hear about the speed runs when you get back

Old Salty
VIC, 1271 posts
2 Feb 2010 11:41PM
Thumbs Up

BTW - Give Warren heaps as he never falls off in Fiji only on my equipment at Inverloch Said something about wanting to check out the changing sands in the water

Warren Francis
NSW, 206 posts
3 Feb 2010 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Doug

You make me laugh! Can't believe you remembered Inverloch! I was checking to see the tidal movements on the sandbar on the otherside....he he he!!!!! That's my story and i'm sticking to it! Yep, haven't got my knees wet for a long time!

Smiling!

Warren

AG1
NSW, 24 posts
12 Feb 2010 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

Bula Warren, long time since we've seen each other.
What is the current top speed or GPS results so far at the speed run??
Also which direction is the fastest runs ie. right hand forward on the boom or the other tack?? I ask this because I am running assymetrical fins.
Allan Gleeson

pedro e
VIC, 257 posts
12 Feb 2010 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, Lari and I had a great time. Lari had a great birthday and we were lucky to get some gentle wind days for her to learn early in our 10 day stay, then an early taste of trade winds for the later part. Not quite enough for much speed on the speed run though.

The run has great potential with a good 25 knot+ wind and a lower tide. The day we went out there it was a 0.8m tide whereas the week before it had been 0.2m - ie 60cm more water over the coral reef.

We had only about 18 knots of wind in the gusts so it was often a struggle to get my speed needle planing. (support crew forgetting to take off my fin cover didn't help either! ). I was underpowered on the 5.7m Hellcat sail I used. Although Warren has a great range of 2010 JP and NP gear, he doesn't yet have any speed gear.

Pacific Blue are quite good for bringing sports equipment though without extra charges so in future I would bring speed sails also.

ps - thanks to Nino for the photos - an Italian guest who came out on the boat with us as paparazzi.

RAL INN
SA, 2884 posts
12 Feb 2010 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

AG1 said...

Also which direction is the fastest runs ie. right hand forward on the boom or the other tack?? I ask this because I am running assymetrical fins.
Allan Gleeson

Starboard tack, same as Sandy Point.

FormulaNova
WA, 14560 posts
12 Feb 2010 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

pedro e said...

The run has great potential with a good 25 knot+ wind and a lower tide. The day we went out there it was a 0.8m tide whereas the week before it had been 0.2m - ie 60cm more water over the coral reef.

We had only about 18 knots of wind in the gusts so it was often a struggle to get my speed needle planing. (support crew forgetting to take off my fin cover didn't help either! ). I was underpowered on the 5.7m Hellcat sail I used. Although Warren has a great range of 2010 JP and NP gear, he doesn't yet have any speed gear.

Hi Peter, it sounds like it was great. I bet its a lot warmer than you guys see down there in Sandy Point. You guys want a dream speed strip where it is fast AND warm?

Was it affordable? There was another guy on another posting that said:

'However, with the Aussie dollar strong as it is and the annual lull in the down season, the whole thing was a lot more affordable'

- but on their website it says all prices are in Australian Dollars.

How does that work when they are charging in AUD, you are paying in AUD and the AUD has gone up compared to the the FJD? I can't figure it out.

It would be good to know as I hate it when you go somewhere and you are never sure about the prices. I am hopeless with money and I hate to lose track. I know I should stop drinking, but hey, that's what holidays are all about

mr love
VIC, 2348 posts
12 Feb 2010 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

Flash looking vest Peter!!! It looks like chainmail, must be for protection from those big Tiger shark teeth, Ha!

RAL INN
SA, 2884 posts
12 Feb 2010 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

Formula Nova, When we organise our groups and in this instance we are calling this whole program Fiji Speedweek, we are doing so as an Australian business, from Australia. So irregardless of what is on the Safari Lodge website, you have to check out our pricing, to get the amount.
The Fiji dollar V's the AUD only comes into what you spend in Fiji$ in Fiji for such things as beer and snacks.

FormulaNova
WA, 14560 posts
12 Feb 2010 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

RAL INN said...

Formula Nova, When we organise our groups and in this instance we are calling this whole program Fiji Speedweek, we are doing so as an Australian business, from Australia. So irregardless of what is on the Safari Lodge website, you have to check out our pricing, to get the amount.
The Fiji dollar V's the AUD only comes into what you spend in Fiji$ in Fiji for such things as beer and snacks.

Thanks Tony!

Just as a ball park, what would it cost me if I came for a week or two as either a kitesurfer or windsurfer?

I guess I need to organise my own airfares, but how much for the rest of it? A rough idea is okay.

RAL INN
SA, 2884 posts
12 Feb 2010 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

You have to pm me, as posting prices is deemed commercial and that offends Laurie.

FormulaNova
WA, 14560 posts
12 Feb 2010 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

RAL INN said...

You have to pm me, as posting prices is deemed commercial and that offends Laurie.

Fair enough, I didn't realize you guys weren't forum sponsors.

jsr
NSW, 44 posts
12 Feb 2010 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

I checked the pricing!
Maybe my maths is bad but one sailor and one non sailing partner worked out to Approx $8k for the two weeks? Is this Air fares/ food,board/and all extras???
Can someone enlighten me if I am way off on costs!!!
Thanks.
If I was to make my own way to the island could I join in the event and pay a boat fee each day to get to the spped strip???

RAL INN
SA, 2884 posts
13 Feb 2010 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

jsr said...

I checked the pricing!
Maybe my maths is bad but one sailor and one non sailing partner worked out to Approx $8k for the two weeks? Is this Air fares/ food,board/and all extras???
Can someone enlighten me if I am way off on costs!!!
Thanks.
If I was to make my own way to the island could I join in the event and pay a boat fee each day to get to the spped strip???

I have revised the info on our site to make it easier to do the maths.

and for these 2 weeks our group has all the support boats booked, So in answer to your question about paying a boat fee. NO.

we are about having fun and sharing the experience as a group, it's that group teamwork urging on each other to improve and reveling in each others successes, type of thing.

Old Salty
VIC, 1271 posts
13 Feb 2010 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

Can we all hold hands and dance in circles around Warren with flowers in our hair?

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"FIJI - Speedweek August 14-28 2010" started by Warren Francis