Forums > Windsurfing General

HiFly 320 mast extension

Created by PhilSWR > 9 months ago, 17 Sep 2012
PhilSWR
NSW, 1104 posts
17 Sep 2012 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe one of you guys can help me. I just recently got given an old HiFly 320 Pro for the kids to play / learn on. It's in great nick and should float them well. Thankfully it came with the base plate and mast extension, but I only have RDM mast and the old alloy extension is for standard size. Is there any adaptors or the like so I can use my mast? Or is it a case of simply track down an old standard diameter mast?

Cheers for any info.

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
17 Sep 2012 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

post up a photo, i can solve your problem.

PhilSWR
NSW, 1104 posts
18 Sep 2012 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

Here's a few pics that may help.

Paul Kelf
WA, 678 posts
18 Sep 2012 11:14AM
Thumbs Up

Phil,
Remove the fitting below the uni joint & fit it to any modern base then you can use a modern rig.

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
18 Sep 2012 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

or remove the top bolt and replace with a euro or quick pin using a piece of 8mm threaded rod, you might need a good vice or a pipe wrench. be very careful if removing the bottom pin or fitting as the threaded bit can tend to snap off with these 25 year old bases. if you have any issues you can post it to me on the gold coast, it will take 2 days and i have done dozens of those. cheers ian.

Mobydisc
NSW, 9028 posts
18 Sep 2012 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like you got a good board there Phil.

PhilSWR
NSW, 1104 posts
18 Sep 2012 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

Mobydisc said...

Looks like you got a good board there Phil.

Thanks Karl,

Here's a decent pic of the old girl. It's 6 meters long and weight 58 kilos () but in great nic, has the three fins, (25 year old thruster??) so should be fun for the kids, and fun for me too.

Paul,

I easily removed the bottom pin, the large stainless bolt that runs up the centre of the brass sleeve seems in very good condition. And the brass pin that plugs into the board is fine too. What modern base (brand / shop?) is it liable to screw back into? Sorry, bit confused about this sort of stuff.

Hi Ian,

If I can't work out what base to attached the bottom pin into, I may be sending it up your way. Thanks for the offer mate.

Cheers

greenleader
QLD, 5283 posts
18 Sep 2012 5:27PM
Thumbs Up

you can get a boge uni and a quickpin from surf fx overnite give them a call 0755611360

nosinkanow
NSW, 441 posts
20 Sep 2012 12:49AM
Thumbs Up

Or bring the mast foot/extension over on Saturday and I'll see what I've got to make it work. The most economical is to just fit a Euro pin to the top of the UJ so you can use your gear as suggested, MarkJ would have them in stock. Or use the odd 2-piece SDM that I have as a spare. Tin lids won't notice and it's learner proof.

PhilSWR
NSW, 1104 posts
20 Sep 2012 9:03AM
Thumbs Up

nosinkanow said...

Or bring the mast foot/extension over on Saturday and I'll see what I've got to make it work. The most economical is to just fit a Euro pin to the top of the UJ so you can use your gear as suggested, MarkJ would have them in stock. Or use the odd 2-piece SDM that I have as a spare. Tin lids won't notice and it's learner proof.

Cheers Raf,

I'll bring the UJ and extension down on Saturday and rig up a small sail and see how she looks. Hanging to take the super tanker for a run. Kids are harping me also.
Thanks again mate.

MartinF2
QLD, 484 posts
22 Oct 2012 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

Hello Phil. I think you have my old board there. Did Barry give it to you?
Cheers
Marty

PhilSWR
NSW, 1104 posts
22 Oct 2012 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

MartinF2 said...
Hello Phil. I think you have my old board there. Did Barry give it to you?
Cheers
Marty

Hey Marty,

I take it you're Barrys' son? Think I remember sailing with you at Trail Bay in a cyclonic south-wester. I was getting flogged and you we doing all the sailing...lol Anyway, yep, Barry kindly passed it on, and the kids (6 and 9) are just starting to get keen. I'm hoping the Hi Fly will get them up and running and into the sport.

MartinF2
QLD, 484 posts
22 Oct 2012 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Yes Phil I'm Barry's son. I never used that board much back in it's day. I ended up on a Bombora X-IT pretty much straight away so that thing has been in storage for about 20 years (maybe longer). Hope you can put it to good use with the kids.

Hope to have a sail down that way again some time. Nice spot.

Cheers
Marty

PhilSWR
NSW, 1104 posts
22 Oct 2012 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

MartinF2 said...
Yes Phil I'm Barry's son. I never used that board much back in it's day. I ended up on a Bombora X-IT pretty much straight away so that thing has been in storage for about 20 years (maybe longer). Hope you can put it to good use with the kids.

Hope to have a sail down that way again some time. Nice spot.

Cheers
Marty

Hi Marty,

Yeah, if the kids get up and running on it, then the board has served it's purpose. I've had a few runs on it now, feels crazy compared to a modern short board. Had it in 20 knots at Yamba, I remember water spraying me in the face from the centre board slot...lol

PS- You Dad has been out few times during his holiday to SWR's. Seems to be having fun and enjoying life.

PPS-Let me know next time you're heading down, would be good to have a sail with ya.

Cheers

MartinF2
QLD, 484 posts
23 Oct 2012 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

I'll sing out next time I'm heading your way. Looks like yesterday/today might have been like when we sailed at Easter time. Dad said he wished I was there for it. Does this bring back memories?
Cheers
Marty

PhilSWR
NSW, 1104 posts
23 Oct 2012 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

MartinF2 said...
I'll sing out next time I'm heading your way. Looks like yesterday/today might have been like when we sailed at Easter time. Dad said he wished I was there for it. Does this bring back memories?
Cheers
Marty

Hey Marty,

Yeah, good flash back pic! But where's me floundering in the shallows???? I sailed the bay today, and whilst the wind was a touch more south, it looked pretty well like the pic- solid 15 to 20 plus knots. Yesterday was nuking- around 30 knots, I hit Queens Lake and your Dad sailed the bay- too effort at his age. I couldn't get him out for round two today though.

Catch ya

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"HiFly 320 mast extension" started by PhilSWR