Forums > Windsurfing General

ISAF Selects Kiteboarding For Rio 2016

Created by jusavina > 9 months ago, 5 May 2012
lao shi
SA, 1299 posts
19 May 2012 12:07AM
Thumbs Up

Nevin Sayre
Sayre has 20 national and international titles to his name and is a five-time U.S. National Windsurfing Champion.
from www.sail-world.com/UK/Calling-out-to-U.S.-Sailing-to-explain-their-Olympic-vote/97327
Dear U.S. Sailing,

Every class chosen for the Olympics has a pathway from young kid to Olympic champion. As yet, Kitesurf racing has no such pipeline. As an avid kitesurfer, windsurfer, sailor, U.S. Sailing member, and also someone who has been very involved in youth sailing development, I would like U.S. Sailing to explain their actions.

The ISAF General Council voted 19-17 to overrule the recommendation of their own 'experts' on the Events Committee, and include kitesurf course racing in the 2016 Olympic Games. This decision comes at the expense of windsurfing, which is easily one of the two most popular classes at the Games, and has a huge junior pipeline. ISAF's own Events Committee and Windsurfing/kitesurfing Committee, which held an ISAF sponsored equipment evaluation, did not recommend kiteboarding over windsurfing for the 2016 Olympic Games. Why did U.S. Sailing place their 3 votes (more than any other country) in favor of kitesurf racing?

What is U.S. Sailing's plan to safely include kitesurfing into Junior Sailing Programs, the Olympic Youth Development Team, Youth Worlds Team, the Junior Olympic events, and all the pathways that leads to the Olympics? There are over 110 reported kitesurfing deaths in the last 10 years. That should be compared with an excellent safety record in windsurfing's 40 year history. I am personally very lucky not to be on the fatality list, and suffered a head wound with 150 stitches from kitesurfing. And I consider myself a decent kiter, and knowledgeable about the wind. There is no way I would allow my kids to kitesurf.

In a year when U.S. Sailing has expressed deep concern over the sudden uptick in tragic sailing deaths from Annapolis to San Francisco, what is U.S. Sailing's safety plan here? Is U.S. Sailing aware that insurance companies, citing grave safety concerns, have refused to cover sailing programs which include kitesurfing?

Can you see kitesurfing at your junior program and/or sailing club?

Kitesurfing is evolving, and the very small percentage of kitesurfers who race, are clearly on the cutting edge. I welcome inclusion in the Olympics when the safety, equipment, logistics, and formats are ready. When instructional and competitive programs are developing young kitesurf racers, and safely channeling them toward their Olympic dreams, let's go. We are clearly not there yet for 2016 Olympic Games.

Meanwhile the ISAF vote itself is a sham. The President of the Royal Spanish Federation (RFEV) has issued a formal apology that their ISAF vote was wrongly placed for kitesurfing over windsurfing, and the RFEV supports the process to overturn the vote. The President of the Venezuelan Federation has informed ISAF that their Venezuelan countryman (who voted for kitesurfing) did not represent the judgement of their Federation. The Chairman of the Israeli Federation is quoted in Reuters: 'The delegates were probably confused or didn't understand the motion fully because of language difficulties, or some may have been napping at the presentations and then cast their votes without realizing the implications.' Whatever conditions enabled kitesurfing to prevail in the first round of balloting, there are compelling reasons for the issue to be put to a proper vote.

I'm concerned as a U.S. Sailing menber that USA also doesn't understand the implications. Will U.S. Sailing please publicly explain why they cast their three votes against ISAF's own Events Committee recommendation, and in favor of choosing kitesurfing over windsurfing for 2016?

Maybe he is just not very good at kiting

Te Hau
480 posts
19 May 2012 7:27AM
Thumbs Up

lao shi said...

Nevin Sayre
Sayre has 20 national and international titles to his name and is a five-time U.S. National Windsurfing Champion.
from www.sail-world.com/UK/Calling-out-to-U.S.-Sailing-to-explain-their-Olympic-vote/97327
Dear U.S. Sailing,

Every class chosen for the Olympics has a pathway from young kid to Olympic champion. As yet, Kitesurf racing has no such pipeline. As an avid kitesurfer, windsurfer, sailor, U.S. Sailing member, and also someone who has been very involved in youth sailing development, I would like U.S. Sailing to explain their actions.

The ISAF General Council voted 19-17 to overrule the recommendation of their own 'experts' on the Events Committee, and include kitesurf course racing in the 2016 Olympic Games. This decision comes at the expense of windsurfing, which is easily one of the two most popular classes at the Games, and has a huge junior pipeline. ISAF's own Events Committee and Windsurfing/kitesurfing Committee, which held an ISAF sponsored equipment evaluation, did not recommend kiteboarding over windsurfing for the 2016 Olympic Games. Why did U.S. Sailing place their 3 votes (more than any other country) in favor of kitesurf racing?

What is U.S. Sailing's plan to safely include kitesurfing into Junior Sailing Programs, the Olympic Youth Development Team, Youth Worlds Team, the Junior Olympic events, and all the pathways that leads to the Olympics? There are over 110 reported kitesurfing deaths in the last 10 years. That should be compared with an excellent safety record in windsurfing's 40 year history. I am personally very lucky not to be on the fatality list, and suffered a head wound with 150 stitches from kitesurfing. And I consider myself a decent kiter, and knowledgeable about the wind. There is no way I would allow my kids to kitesurf.

In a year when U.S. Sailing has expressed deep concern over the sudden uptick in tragic sailing deaths from Annapolis to San Francisco, what is U.S. Sailing's safety plan here? Is U.S. Sailing aware that insurance companies, citing grave safety concerns, have refused to cover sailing programs which include kitesurfing?

Can you see kitesurfing at your junior program and/or sailing club?

Kitesurfing is evolving, and the very small percentage of kitesurfers who race, are clearly on the cutting edge. I welcome inclusion in the Olympics when the safety, equipment, logistics, and formats are ready. When instructional and competitive programs are developing young kitesurf racers, and safely channeling them toward their Olympic dreams, let's go. We are clearly not there yet for 2016 Olympic Games.

Meanwhile the ISAF vote itself is a sham. The President of the Royal Spanish Federation (RFEV) has issued a formal apology that their ISAF vote was wrongly placed for kitesurfing over windsurfing, and the RFEV supports the process to overturn the vote. The President of the Venezuelan Federation has informed ISAF that their Venezuelan countryman (who voted for kitesurfing) did not represent the judgement of their Federation. The Chairman of the Israeli Federation is quoted in Reuters: 'The delegates were probably confused or didn't understand the motion fully because of language difficulties, or some may have been napping at the presentations and then cast their votes without realizing the implications.' Whatever conditions enabled kitesurfing to prevail in the first round of balloting, there are compelling reasons for the issue to be put to a proper vote.

I'm concerned as a U.S. Sailing menber that USA also doesn't understand the implications. Will U.S. Sailing please publicly explain why they cast their three votes against ISAF's own Events Committee recommendation, and in favor of choosing kitesurfing over windsurfing for 2016?

Maybe he is just not very good at kiting

Nevin knows the answer ....San Francisco Yacht Club.
Lots of clout, strong kite course racing community.

SugarQube
WA, 490 posts
19 May 2012 11:37AM
Thumbs Up

155 posts on this topic, why dont you guys get over it?
OK windsurfing can be radical and exiting, but how are you ever going to integrate cutting edge windsurfing into the Olypics.
No one wants to see windsurfers racing, its dead.

fanatic02
NSW, 300 posts
19 May 2012 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

SugarQube said...

OK windsurfing can be radical and exiting, but how are you ever going to integrate cutting edge windsurfing into the Olypics.

You are a clown

Mark _australia
WA, 22423 posts
19 May 2012 2:05PM
Thumbs Up

SugarQube said...

Yeah, your sport will get in and it will be course racing that hardly anyone does. All the people will turn up to see dangly twisties, and when they see course racing 500m offshore they will switch off.

Congrats.

BTW kiting ain't in yet, not till a final vote in Novemeber and then the IOC has to agree.

terminal
1421 posts
19 May 2012 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

hardie said...

Sterlings said...

Seems pretty accurate really. Kitesurfing - the all dancing, singing bear. See below
from the Women's rep on the ISAF committee:

Mrs. Fiona Kidd letter - This is Part 2 of the Mid Year Meeting Summary and the most controversial one so far, the RSX and/or Kiteboarding decision. It is important to understand how the meeting and voting unfolded on this issue.

As you have all been aware, kiteboarding has been pushing pretty hard for several years now to become an Olympic event, which ultimately cumulated in the Format Evaluation Trials that were held in March in Santander, Spain. The result of that trial was extremely positive and proved to be very successful. There were no real negatives highlighted in the report. Safety has been an issue, but it was reported that safety systems have improved should continue to be developed by the classes and the industry. It was basically a glowing report.

However, in order to put all of this into context, it is important to understand the dynamics of the Council Meeting as it is not just simply everyone sitting around the table and just voting. There are many forces at play. Hopefully I can paint the picture.

Upon tabling the Evaluation Report at Council, the President was asked to go to the IOC to ask for 2 more medals as it was clear that the Kiteboarding and Windsurfing did not want to put one up against the other. In my view, the President should have accepted this challenge as he is an IOC member and currently has some influence. This would have meant that the decision would be deferred until November and that we would all have more information in our hands in order to make a decision. I was certainly in support of this strategy. However, the President did not support this initiative as he felt that he would probably not be successful, and that it would mean the remaining events would be diluted in numbers as sailing only has 380 athletes. At this point in the meeting, it was then suddenly declared that we had to make a decision on one or the other.

Due to the fact that we had to make a decision between the RSX or kiteboarding, the debate became very dynamic and changed considerably in terms of its focus. Almost everyone spoke on the issue. The discussion was more of a debate about the future vision of the sport of sailing, not about the RSX. It was strongly articulated that this was the time for ISAF to lead the sport and not to follow. It was about the opportunity in front of us to inspire a whole new generation of people into the sport from all across the globe and to showcase the sport in Rio and not to wait until 2020. As the Kiteboarding Evaluation report stated “ with a total number of kiteboarders world wide estimated at 1.5 million persons,..... the emerging nations have kiteboarding on almost every beach and it has the capacity to bring more new people into the sport of sailing than all other Olympic classes together”. Many members of Council argued that we(as in the sport) were at a critical crossroads and that it was the time for ISAF to lead the sport and to work with Kiteboarding early in its development to become an Olympic sport, rather than try and catch up with them in 4 to 8+ years time and see the opportunity pass by. This was very much a strategic decision that was viewed to be in the best interest of the future of the sport.

The regions that spoke passionately about the change were IRL, USA, AUS, FIN, SWE, and RSA, etc – a mixture of small and large sailing nations. This group felt that introducing the event in 2020 was just too far away. This group that voted for Kiteboarding represents approximately 78 MNA's within their groupings.

Those nations that spoke for windsurfing were currently strong in the event, FRA, POL NZ, GRE, BRA, etc all supported it for 2016. So as you can see it was very split. This group that voted for the windsurfer represents about 59 MNA's.

That does not include 5 out of the 7 voting VP's who supported Kiteboarding. It also includes the Chair of the Windsurfing and Kiteboarding Committee voting for Kiteboarding. King Constantine, an IOC member, also strongly voiced his support for Kiteboarding.

Personally, I was very torn. It became clear that this was never going to be a Windsurfing and Kiteboarding decision. I supported the RSX in the Events Committee and then based on the arguments at Council and how the situation unfolded and how voting took place, I changed my vote to Kiteboarding.

Rightly or wrongly, the reason for my vote for Kiteboarding was to seize the opportunity to bring new women to the sport of sailing, and for those members of ISAF that have limited access to the Olympics in our sport today due to cost and accessibility, to have an opportunity to become engaged. Council had made the decision earlier in the meeting to accept equipment that was for 2 new elite sailing events, the Women's Skiff and Mixed Mulithull, which in reality shut the door on the emerging nations,. As a result, the discussion around the Council table moved towards introducing an event that has huge media and youthful appeal and that could inspire a whole new generation to our sport from around the globe.

I apologize to all of you if I have not represented the best interests of women in sailing. I am certainly willing to change my vote in support of the RSX for the November Meeting if that is the will of the Women's Forum.

Kind Regards,
Fiona

Who does Fiona represent?
If she represents women in windsurfing or current sailing members she did a poor job. But this is all about politics and numbers, therefore if you want women's windsurfing or windsurfing to be heard, then you need large numbers of windsurfing being political and loud. If windsurfers cant be political and loud in large numbers, then dont whinge about Kitesurfing, and let them have the future, they seem to want it more IMHO

Edit: PS Fiona sounds like a political animal, not sum1 who represents her constituents, she will go with numbers, therefore bombard her with numbers if you want her to act on your behalf The IOC is for the IOC they dont care about windsurfing, The IOC is prepared to abandon all those that have invested years and decades of their lives to compete in windsurfing in the Olympics, because the profile of the Olympics is the most impt thing to them

One number is the total number of women entered in the current PKRA Course Racing World Cup event in Holland. Three. Well its enough to fill the podium.

Fiona will have to hope that a lot more women will get into Course Racing to make her dream come true.

SugarQube
WA, 490 posts
19 May 2012 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

fanatic02 said...

SugarQube said...

You are a clown

Glad I could make you happy for a few minutes or so...

pierrec45
NSW, 2005 posts
19 May 2012 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

terminal said...
One number is the total number of women entered in the current PKRA Course Racing World Cup event in Holland. Three. Well its enough to fill the podium.

Sounds like some of those Special Olympics events (non-PC observation).

AUS4
NSW, 1259 posts
20 May 2012 12:04AM
Thumbs Up

SugarQube said...

What would you know about the Olympics you idiot....you cant even spell it !!!!!!

AUS4
NSW, 1259 posts
20 May 2012 12:48AM
Thumbs Up

Bring back the Mistral Competition Superlight, 260 lts,
16kgs sailable in 0 - 30 knots the best ONE DESIGN racing. Race it anywhere anytime.

pierrec45
NSW, 2005 posts
20 May 2012 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

Sorta agree with you AUS4, but how is that different from the modern WOD which is also 0-30 and half the price ? (and more Aussie contents?)

fanatic02
NSW, 300 posts
20 May 2012 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

SugarQube said...

fanatic02 said...

SugarQube said...

You are a clown

Yes thanks for the laugh , you must just be here for a bit of a wind up !!!!1
Why would a kiter like yourself bother reading our forums ?
I have never considered reading yours .
Not interested in kiting one bit ,

AUS4
NSW, 1259 posts
20 May 2012 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

pierrec45 said...

Sorta agree with you AUS4, but how is that different from the modern WOD which is also 0-30 and half the price ? (and more Aussie contents?)

Lighter, stiffer, cant alter shape ( bend to alter rocker line etc ) more volume, so it is less sailor weight sensative, fully retracting centreboard etc etc. Much faster board. We used to get over 300 at the Mistral World Championship.

Richiefish
QLD, 5610 posts
20 May 2012 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

Mark _australia said...

SugarQube said...

Yeah, your sport will get in and it will be course racing that hardly anyone does. All the people will turn up to see dangly twisties, and when they see course racing 500m offshore they will switch off.

Congrats.

BTW kiting ain't in yet, not till a final vote in Novemeber and then the IOC has to agree.

Thats true Mark. The "High dangle with board twistie" is the best bit in Kitesurfing.

pierrec45
NSW, 2005 posts
20 May 2012 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

AUS4 said...

pierrec45 said...

Lighter, stiffer, cant alter shape ( bend to alter rocker line etc ) more volume, so it is less sailor weight sensative, fully retracting centreboard etc etc. Much faster board. We used to get over 300 at the Mistral World Championship.

I know watcha sayin', but WOD was 600 participants at Kingston in '83, past 1984 included retractible too. Faster cannot be a criteria, since then a D2 or RSX are faster too under the right conditions. The modern WOD is not that alterable, as opposed to the 30yo Windsurfers. Just draw boards by lottery in morning and no alterations then.

An olympic class should be the most accessible plank that allows 0-30, IMO.
Kona falls too under that pretense, not that they're considered...

But yeah I hear you, the Mistral Comp - great board.

SailCoothara
VIC, 137 posts
20 May 2012 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

For me the inherent issue is classifying kite surfing as true sailing. A windsurfer is fundamentally still a sailing vessel. It has a boom, a mast, a down haul, outhaul, centreboard, a fin, a sail with battens and functions in a similar way to modern sailing skiffs. It has a well developed history as a competitive course racing class and will continue to do so. The question is whether kite surfing offers the same contribution to 'sailing' at the olympics and around the world. There is no traditional aspect to it. You blow up the 'sail' and are attached to it like an acrobat. I don't know the details but I cant see any relation to traditional course racing skills either. You arent changing which side the wind is on the sail or aiming for those loose covers on your competitors. Maybe in the future as it develops a more solid historical foundation kitesurfing will emerge as a better option. But for now it lacks the very correlation with traditional sailing that windsurfing still boasts.

SugarQube
WA, 490 posts
20 May 2012 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

fanatic02 said...

SugarQube said...

fanatic02 said...

SugarQube said...

You are a clown

Yes thanks for the laugh , you must just be here for a bit of a wind up !!!!1
Why would a kiter like yourself bother reading our forums ?
I have never considered reading yours .
Not interested in kiting one bit ,

I guess your missing out, Mark Aus is over in the kiters department all the time grovling for sympathy.

But I windsurfed myself up to 2000, did Gnaraloo etc, still got some gear but not realy tempted any more, it was the best of watersports back then.

But then kite surfing came along and wind surfing comes second now in anything but over head waves.

I dont see any one doing the racing thing around Perth anymore, last I heard of it was some Swede with a mullet living in Mullaloo driving a Ferrari ( hope I got the spelling right) and Niel Sheltema was making boards, was around 1995.

These days when I go to the tip and find Niels negatives, piles of windsurfers and booms and as far as metro windsurfing inc racing goes, thats where it belongs.

Probably where AUS 4 took that picture.

Hausey
NSW, 325 posts
20 May 2012 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

mmm.... the last 6 pages are very interesting stuff

Having grown up sailing and following sailing and windsurfing for 35 years and competed at the top level in both those sports; and now having given up those sports to only surf and kitesurf nowadays.....

Well, in my opinion regarding Olympic Sailing:

Kiteboarding should NOT be included (WTF were ISAF thinking)

Windsurfing should be on a modern kind of light wind board with a modern soft sail that would make it a sport that worked in any conditions, and any strong wind racing a real physical test.

I definately think the Olympics is living up to become a 5 ringed circus if it brings kiting into it.

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
21 May 2012 12:44AM
Thumbs Up

Lots of interesting points here. I'll venture my 2c.

Like Nevin and Hausey (g'day old chap!) I used to race sailboards at the top level and am now a kiter. I share their opinions that kite racing is not yet ready for the Olympics for many of the reasons already listed.

Is the Olympics ready for kiting, and if so, what discipline (freestyle being far more developed than racing at the moment)? Does the Olympics want to compete with the X Games for the adrenaline side of things? The Olympics seems to have some big questions to ask about it's own identity: Is it a commercial enterprise, a TV spectacle, a platform for international community-building, a test of basic athletic skill, a vehicle for thousands of advisers, lobbyists and other cogs-in-the-machine to feather their own nests? All of the above?

Depending on the answer to that question, you'll also get a different answer to the question of what class sailboard to include. I'd rather the tactical intensity of Lechners, and stop trying to please all the people all the time with what looks like a worst-of-both-worlds compromise to me.

As for the idea that kiting is not sailing ... I've sailed boats (competitively), sailboards (professionally) and kites (recreationally) and the "kiting isn't sailing" thing really strikes me as arbitrary. It could as well be twisted around to "sailing involves mast stays so therefore sailboards and lasers aren't sailing craft but kites are because they have stays supporting their inflatable mast." I could also say my kite-sail has an inflatable mast, inflatable battens, and a very compact boom (zero length, 50cm width) that's got a pair of 25m inhaul lines attaching it to the mast and 25m outhaul lines attaching it to the two clews.

Decades ago traditionalist yachties were appalled that small recreational catamarans could whoop their expensive keelboats in some conditions and decried it as "not proper sailing." Now we've had multihulls in the America's cup for some years and somehow the world hasn't fallen apart. Kiting is sailing; get used to it.

That kiting (and most obviously kite-racing) is a form of sailing does not mean it should be in the Olympics though, and I'd prefer that the powers that be reconsidered, at least for a few more years.

Roar
NSW, 471 posts
21 May 2012 1:50AM
Thumbs Up

got to love wiki :)

A kite is a tethered aircraft. (as quoted in Beginner's Guide to Aeronautics, NASA).

so technichally a kite surfer is a wakeboarder pulled along by a tethered aircraft

Hausey
NSW, 325 posts
21 May 2012 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

To clarify my thoughts on kiteboarding (something I've actively done for over 9 yrs and now prefer over sailing or windsurfing)

Kiteboarding:
can be very dangerous
is best done in open areas away from others
doesn't make for a good racing sport
racing results will be decided by equipment and luck
competitions would be better in freestyle

Looking at the video of the kiteboarding race on this post, the riders stance looked completely unnatural and uncomfortable. Olympic games are awarded to cities, and sailing venues could be a distance away, however can you imagine the chaos if it was a sport in Sydney harbour during the Sydney Olympics. How would launching and landing work, offshore winds etc.. It would make the headlines for all the wrong reasons! It isn't a sport that kids can safely learn and practice, or work towards racing in the olympics one day - like a sailing class should

Windsurfing has steadily declined over the last 15+ years. A lot of vested interest in selling new things every year, change for the sake of change. It was a sport that was at its best and most fun when people had the same equipment, the original Windsurfer class days for example.

If there was a modern board and rig that worked in light winds, could be bought new by anyone with a couple of thousand dollars, sailed anywhere by anyone, stayed a constant with no development allowed year after year.... windsurfing might become popular again! I'd get one and go race with my old mate djdojo or the ferrari driving Swedish mullet (who should have an Olympic medal)!

SugarQube
WA, 490 posts
21 May 2012 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

There is a profound differance between Windsurfing and Kitesurfing,

Windsurfing started out on big boards, big sails, easy to learn for all. Then boards got shorter and shorter, you had to spend a year on a clunker to get close to what you realy wanted to do, so it moved away from mainstream.

Kitesurfing started out on dangerous gear, plenty of accidents, deaths etc. Gear got safer and easier to use, to the point where any office geek can learn the sport within days, so totaly mainstream.

So why dont you guys invent some thing new, like draging your gear over 5 Kms of land, with a rifle strapped to your back, you have to shoot your competitor with a paint gun and sail away over the line.

Now that would be good for a laugh at least.

Chris 249
NSW, 3353 posts
22 May 2012 12:34AM
Thumbs Up

djdojo said...

Lots of interesting points here. I'll venture my 2c.

Like Nevin and Hausey (g'day old chap!) I used to race sailboards at the top level and am now a kiter. I share their opinions that kite racing is not yet ready for the Olympics for many of the reasons already listed.

Is the Olympics ready for kiting, and if so, what discipline (freestyle being far more developed than racing at the moment)? Does the Olympics want to compete with the X Games for the adrenaline side of things? The Olympics seems to have some big questions to ask about it's own identity: Is it a commercial enterprise, a TV spectacle, a platform for international community-building, a test of basic athletic skill, a vehicle for thousands of advisers, lobbyists and other cogs-in-the-machine to feather their own nests? All of the above?

Depending on the answer to that question, you'll also get a different answer to the question of what class sailboard to include. I'd rather the tactical intensity of Lechners, and stop trying to please all the people all the time with what looks like a worst-of-both-worlds compromise to me.

As for the idea that kiting is not sailing ... I've sailed boats (competitively), sailboards (professionally) and kites (recreationally) and the "kiting isn't sailing" thing really strikes me as arbitrary. It could as well be twisted around to "sailing involves mast stays so therefore sailboards and lasers aren't sailing craft but kites are because they have stays supporting their inflatable mast." I could also say my kite-sail has an inflatable mast, inflatable battens, and a very compact boom (zero length, 50cm width) that's got a pair of 25m inhaul lines attaching it to the mast and 25m outhaul lines attaching it to the two clews.

Decades ago traditionalist yachties were appalled that small recreational catamarans could whoop their expensive keelboats in some conditions and decried it as "not proper sailing." Now we've had multihulls in the America's cup for some years and somehow the world hasn't fallen apart. Kiting is sailing; get used to it.

That kiting (and most obviously kite-racing) is a form of sailing does not mean it should be in the Olympics though, and I'd prefer that the powers that be reconsidered, at least for a few more years.

Cool post, but just one point. The bit I highlighted above about the cats isn't, with respect, true if you're thinking of the popular story that Herreshoff invented cats but that they were banned. That's a myth that has been passed down and one that research (simple now thanks to internet archives) shows to be simply untrue. Cats were accepted by "yachties" about as much as any other type...even the New York Yacht Club allowed the cats in way back in the 1800s. There's heaps of reports of cat racing in the literature of the time. Sure, a few people grumbled at times, but it's also a fact that over 20 people were killed on tris in 18 months at one stage in the South Pacific, so a bit of grumbling wasn't exactly out of order.

The reason I bring this up is to highlight that there are a lot of myths running around in sailing about "conservatives" who stop "progress", but almost every time you dig deeply into those stories you find that they are untrue. A lot of the time there was no strong anti-development movement, or (on the other hand) their concerns were actually sensible and correct!

In this situation, where we windsurfers are being seen by some as the "conservatives" who are against the "progressive" move to kites, it just seems that it should be pointed out that there's not so much a battle between stick-in-the-mud conservatives and enlightened progressives, but actually there are normally pretty damn reasonable people all round.

If we windsurfers had listened to the "conservative" boat sailors year ago when they were talking about things like having strong clubs and classes and not dumping everything to go and play in the surf, maybe we'd be in a much better position today.

PS - completely agree about just about everything else you've said - excellent post! The thing that gets me about the people who want Olympic sailing to be all about the spectacle is that NO ONE WATCHES SPECTACULAR OLYMPIC SPORTS. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration but the official IOC figures are clear. Sports like swimming get vastly more viewers than fast sports. Whitewater kayaking, for example, gets far fewer viewers than flat water kayaks, and road bikes get more watchers than BMX or MTB.

So the IOC has put the new sports in to try to get viewers, but they aren't getting bums on couches because people prefer to watch slower old sports. They've tried to prostitute the Games, only to find that the fishnets and short skirts look is leaving everyone cold.

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
22 May 2012 1:06AM
Thumbs Up

^^^ I 'm ignorant of the bigger historical picture, so thanks for that more extended account. My own experience as a kid sailing VJs and the like was that many senior members of my local clubs took a dim view of hobies (perhaps in line with your point, as they made it easy for idiots to get into trouble, and I concede that kites share this problem) but some even scorned lasers for being "too simple," and this could only be construed as stick-in-mud bigotry. My point in mentioning this was simply that kiting is sailing, regardless of the other issues like safety, fleet sizes etc.

As for having strong clubs, the issues are hotly debated on the kiting pages and we are yet to find anything remotely like consensus regarding the appropriate role of clubs/organisations regarding beach access, insurance, events etc. Especially on the access and safety fronts we kiters face different issues than sailboarders.

Still, the lack of sailboarding clubs as strong as might be good for Olympic lobbying is also a healthy sign that for many sailboarders (and kiters) it's simply about the stoke of getting out in the elements on whatever gear you enjoy.

Happy Sailing!

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
22 May 2012 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

AUS126
NSW, 197 posts
22 May 2012 8:52PM
Thumbs Up

If I was 20, had an open cheque book and wanted to represent Australia I would choose kiteracing over RSX. You traditionalist have to get with the times. I'm sure your issues can be addressed. The idea of kiting in the Olympics gets me excited and I am supprised other kiters aren't as enthusiastic. It's a great opportunity to develop the sport.

Victor B
WA, 130 posts
22 May 2012 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

SugarQube said...

There is a profound differance between Windsurfing and Kitesurfing,

Windsurfing started out on big boards, big sails, easy to learn for all. Then boards got shorter and shorter, you had to spend a year on a clunker to get close to what you realy wanted to do, so it moved away from mainstream.

Kitesurfing started out on dangerous gear, plenty of accidents, deaths etc. Gear got safer and easier to use, to the point where any office geek can learn the sport within days, so totaly mainstream.

So why dont you guys invent some thing new, like draging your gear over 5 Kms of land, with a rifle strapped to your back, you have to shoot your competitor with a paint gun and sail away over the line.

Now that would be good for a laugh at least.

Mainstream?

There's nothing mainstream about kiting or windsurfing. Both require money, fitness, time on water/dedication. Just a pity this whole thing has been turned into an 'us vs them' debate.

Goodluck with the kite racing...appears to be massive in Perth, have seen one person on the swan with one about 3 months ago. Huge popularity...bit like the RSX.

Mark _australia
WA, 22423 posts
22 May 2012 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

AUS126 said...

If I was 20, had an open cheque book and wanted to represent Australia I would choose kiteracing over RSX. You traditionalist have to get with the times. I'm sure your issues can be addressed. The idea of kiting in the Olympics gets me excited and I am supprised other kiters aren't as enthusiastic. It's a great opportunity to develop the sport.

Spot on.

But why throw out windsurfing to do it?

Especially when the Pres. of ISAF didn't even ask the IOC if they could add a class, he just culled it anyway.

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
24 May 2012 11:54AM
Thumbs Up

i can not see how local sailing clubs can support kite racing

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"ISAF Selects Kiteboarding For Rio 2016" started by jusavina