Forums > Windsurfing General

Is windsurfing popularity still declining?

Created by SWS > 9 months ago, 11 Aug 2011
Sailhack
VIC, 5000 posts
16 Aug 2011 9:24AM
Thumbs Up

dinsdale said...

There's plenty of really good 2nd had gear out there at reasonable prices for beginners.

At Windsurfing Perth, if you buy your beginners' gear there then Reg will trade it back for the same money on your upgrades as you improve. This on the assumption that the gear is in roughly the same condition as when you bought it. My son got started on about $1,000 worth of 2nd hand stuff, but then had only small incremental steps as he wanted better gear.

If that was the norm everywhere then it'd make it quite a cheap sport.

Definitely declined here over past 2 years, but that's more to do with the lack of wind!

Btw, not all of us can afford $1k for our kids to 'try' w/surfing. I'd love to get my kids into it, time will see. Very tough in Vic weather to get mum to allow kids <8 out in the ocean - starting by getting them interested in surfing & hope it will progress to w/surfing.

SWS
SA, 196 posts
16 Aug 2011 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

Maybe we need so climate change to get the wind back!

Zed
WA, 1243 posts
16 Aug 2011 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah definitely declining in WA. I think a lot of guys have jumped ship to Kiting.I think it's probably stabilised now though.

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
16 Aug 2011 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

Someone should invest in creating a mainstream game for windsurfing now that there is interactive technology (xbox kinect, wii, ps3 move). More kids would get exposure to windsurfing. I can imagine how cool it would be.

Also there is really standout no hero for the sport. Ask a anyone thats not a windsurfer to name one and they will draw a blank. Ask them about Skateboarders they will say Tony Hawk.

Guys like Brawzonhio and Golito could really get it out there, and because they are so young they can appeal and relate to the young kids.

Windxtasy
WA, 4014 posts
16 Aug 2011 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Obelix said...

I counted 30+ sails at Melville yesterday afternoon....and 2 kites.

As Obelix said, windsurfing is not declining on the river, and it's the middle of winter - come summer, it's going to be hard to get a parking spot!
I'd say windsurfer numbers are going up.

Sailhack
VIC, 5000 posts
16 Aug 2011 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

jermaldan said...

Also there is really standout no hero for the sport. Ask a anyone thats not a windsurfer to name one and they will draw a blank. Ask them about Skateboarders they will say Tony Hawk.

Guys like Brawzonhio and Golito could really get it out there, and because they are so young they can appeal and relate to the young kids.

You're right there - the popularity of most 'mainstream' sports is due to TV coverage, advertising sponsorship and as with AFL, the players have to 'get out there' and spend time encouraging kids into the sport. All this is to guarantee the future of the sports. W/surfing isn't doing that!

Also, most sports are a case of 'turn up & play'. Unfortunately the cost of a w/surf setup as an initial investment would scare off most people...(and to be honest, it's not the most sociable sport - hours on the water, only to catch up at the end of the session for a brag-fest!)

SWS
SA, 196 posts
16 Aug 2011 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

jermaldan said...

Someone should invest in creating a mainstream game for windsurfing now that there is interactive technology (xbox kinect, wii, ps3 move). More kids would get exposure to windsurfing. I can imagine how cool it would be.

Been done...did not take off!

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
16 Aug 2011 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

SWS said...

jermaldan said...

Been done...did not take off!

I am not suprised it didnt take off.

There needs to be a name backing it Like 'Golitos Estredo PWA windsurfing tour or something'.

And it has to be interactive like the wii so you are actually jumping around and moving when playing. Maybe a boom accessory and a use of the balance board?

It can be done so much better with new technology.

You could play as any one of the stars - be, Levi, Kai, Jason or Robbie. You need all discipline's of the PWA as well.

If you have ever played a Tony Hawk Staking or Shaun White Snowboarding you know what I mean.

Maybe an extreme watersports game or something?

K Dog
VIC, 1847 posts
16 Aug 2011 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

How about all those teachers who windsurf hook up with their state associations and have it as a free sporting activity type for students????

SWS
SA, 196 posts
16 Aug 2011 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

I think you would need to be able to add weapons to the board in the game so you can take out other windsurfers. Maybe you could add longer sharper fins and you have to jump and take out other windsurfers with your fin like they did in those Neil Pryde videos back in the late eighties.

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
16 Aug 2011 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

SWS said...

I think you would need to be able to add weapons to the board in the game so you can take out other windsurfers. Maybe you could add longer sharper fins and you have to jump and take out other windsurfers with your fin like they did in those Neil Pryde videos back in the late eighties.

It it could be called Windsurfing Apocolypse, and the action happens in a post apocolyptic water world after the ice caps have melted and the world is covered in water.

Yep weapons and sharp fins are the go!

OK, who here is a games programmer?

sideskirt
328 posts
16 Aug 2011 3:05PM
Thumbs Up

Perhaps noone noticesd this one?

www.windsurfing-the-game.com/downloads/

Sailhack
VIC, 5000 posts
16 Aug 2011 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ Sideskirt - I downloaded that game a couple of years ago, was a bit 'meh' - looks like they've made some improvements!

gesper
NSW, 517 posts
16 Aug 2011 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

At 2.33 what a move , gybe in the air and straight into a forward into the wind and landing it with you on leeward side of sail and then onto a gybe into the wind. I bags that guy when I get the game.

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
16 Aug 2011 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Can't everyone do that?????

albers
NSW, 1737 posts
16 Aug 2011 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

lotofwind said...

Sorry guys but You cant polish a turd

Did you just offend two nationalities in one statement?

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
16 Aug 2011 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Just dont mention da germans.

Windsurfing was all cool and new in the early 80's , 30 years ago,where did the time go.
You have no chance of making kids think its still "cool" like you think it is or want it to be.
If the youth of today want to get into it, they will, no matter what it costs or how hard you claim it to be.Nothing has changed since you were teenages except their are more options.
In 30 years time kiteing will be retro old school like windsurfing is now,,,,,thats just how life turns,,,and then I will be on the forums saying""how can we get the sport popular and cool again like the old days" sniff sniff
Enjoy what your doing,stop worrying if others dont think its cool anymore.
And be thankfull its NOT popular, like surfng with 100 crew fighting for waves when its going off.
Think about it,,,,most surfers,kiter,SUP's all hate that the sports are popular and crowded,,,,,,why are you guy wanting that?????

DrJ
ACT, 481 posts
16 Aug 2011 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

lotofwind said...

I could ...... If only you would stay still for long enough !

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
16 Aug 2011 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

DrJ said...

lotofwind said...

Yeah...sorry,,Im feeling at bit cruel dodging and jumping around ,,,
When your mobility scooter has only a 4 meter turning circle

pierrec45
NSW, 2005 posts
16 Aug 2011 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

lotofwind said...
Windsurfing was all cool and new in the early 80's , 30 years ago,where did the time go.
You have no chance of making kids think its still "cool" like you think it is or want it to be.
If the youth of today want to get into it, they will, no matter what it costs or how hard you claim it to be. Nothing has changed since you were teenages except their are more options.

Enjoy what your doing,stop worrying if others dont think its cool anymore.
And be thankfull its NOT popular, like surfng with 100 crew fighting for waves when its going off.
Think about it,,,,most surfers,kiter,SUP's all hate that the sports are popular and crowded,,,,,,why are you guy wanting that??

Good points there Mr. polished, plus one easy question to answer.

Don't know who brought the cool thing, cetainly wasn't me. I agree that the sport is mostly passe - it has killed itself, plus it doesn't correspond to the I-want-it-easy generation.

I don't care that the sport has gone down, except to the extent that they still make boards and that prices don't go up too much as a result.

However, I do care about my fellow peers in general, and I do want people to take it up - chosen ones at least. The reason is that it is a real sport, it is a passion, a thrill. It is an excellent exercise, it even cured me of my serious orthopedic pre-windsurfing problems. It's got a very small footprint on the water, so it doesn't get into other people's arses.

And not that expensive if you don't get into the Tupperware aspect of it.
As to the cost of teaching newbies: I teach on banged-up Windsurfers from the Classifieds. They're cheap, students don't mind, they learn fast anyways and move on from there. So no Tupperware there either.

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
16 Aug 2011 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Nah I'm good with crowded waves, cuts down on the likelihood of getting bitten lol

dinsdale
WA, 1227 posts
17 Aug 2011 1:05AM
Thumbs Up

lotofwind said...
If the youth of today want to get into it, they will, no matter what it costs or how hard you claim it to be.Nothing has changed since you were teenages except their are more options.
In 30 years time kiteing will be retro old school like windsurfing is now,,,,,thats just how life turns,,,and then I will be on the forums saying""how can we get the sport popular and cool again like the old days" sniff sniff

My mates and I were using skate boards 45 years ago. We ratted my sister's skates and made our own skate boards. I believe that skate boards are still "cool" now aren't they, albeit quite advanced. Windsurfing could still be "cool", despite the 30 years. I don't believe time is the salient factor here.

Al Planet
TAS, 1546 posts
17 Aug 2011 11:27AM
Thumbs Up

Windsurfing could still be cool? how can I tell, who would know?

Wikipedia says a lot about cool including some interesting stuff about the Yoruba civilization of Western Africa but in the end they quote The Simpsons

Homer: So, I realized that being with my family is more important
than being cool.
Bart: Dad, what you just said was powerfully uncool.
Homer: You know what the song says: "It's hip to be square".
Lisa: That song is so lame.
Homer: So lame that it's... cool?
Bart+Lisa: No.
Marge: Am I cool, kids?
Marge: Good. I'm glad. And that's what makes me cool, not caring,
right?
Marge: Well, how the hell do you be cool? I feel like we've tried
everything here.
Homer: Wait, Marge. Maybe if you're truly cool, you don't need to
be told you're cool.
Bart: Well, sure you do.
Lisa: How else would you know?

Zed
WA, 1243 posts
17 Aug 2011 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

Does cool come into it? I don't think people kite because it's cooler than w/surfing. I think they have chosen kiting as it;'s easier & cheaper to get into. But it will never take over w/surfing for one primary factor - their boards don't float. Which kind of restricts what they do and where they go. i.e I've been 2 - 3 kms off the WA coast and had the wind drop on me and had breakages etc no worries, bit of a paddle, but with a kite.. and all those biteys.. Sharks are our friends There were some kiters starting to appear at my local a few years back, but after a few off them spotted Maureen they rarely venture out there.

felixdcat
WA, 3519 posts
17 Aug 2011 11:27AM
Thumbs Up

I don't care if it is cool or popular! I windsurf because I enjoy it and it gives me kicks and adrenaline rushes, I do not want it to become extremely popular. What will I gain for it; more peeps doing it = less parking space, less water space, more gear getting stolen, more agro .....
Love it to stay the way it is.
Young peeps stay out of my sport!

stehsegler
WA, 3472 posts
17 Aug 2011 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

of course the advantage of a "sport not being cool anymore" is that all the d***heads have moved on to the next big thing. I am guessing this will happen to kiteboarding eventually as well.

sick_em_rex
NSW, 1600 posts
17 Aug 2011 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

DrJ said...

lotofwind said...

Actually, on Mythbusters last week they showed you could indeed polish a turd....

sboardcrazy
NSW, 8023 posts
17 Aug 2011 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

Windxtasy said...

Obelix said...

I counted 30+ sails at Melville yesterday afternoon....and 2 kites.

As Obelix said, windsurfing is not declining on the river, and it's the middle of winter - come summer, it's going to be hard to get a parking spot!
I'd say windsurfer numbers are going up.

Depends where you live. If you get consistent winds it's probably stable or rising but if the seasons have been fickle for a few years more people are prob taking up kiting.
Re last video game..if only sailing were that easy! Mind you I got a bit bored with all the loops.

albentley
NSW, 297 posts
17 Aug 2011 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

trends.google.com/trends/?q=windsurfing

Yes I would say so, if you add kiting then you can see it hasn't changed much in comparison whereas windsurf has declined.

trends.google.com/trends/?q=windsurfing%2C+kitesurf&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

the levels are normalised so you can't really compare actual popularity

Al

Zed
WA, 1243 posts
17 Aug 2011 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

I think within 2 - 3 years kiting numbers will drop.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Is windsurfing popularity still declining?" started by SWS