Forums > Windsurfing General

Is windsurfing popularity still declining?

Created by SWS > 9 months ago, 11 Aug 2011
Alberto
WA, 213 posts
31 Aug 2011 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

whatever...

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
31 Aug 2011 11:17PM
Thumbs Up

yep I'm just about at the whatever stage, we have barn saying that its all high wind and a lot of people saying that getting wet is good enough. Truth is that I have been surfing for the past 36 years and I would say that I have earnt the right to have a say. So here it is, this post really needs to stop who gives a **** as long as your having fun. Go and get wet and stop the whinging. Really you sound like a mob of poms. So lets just agree we are all over it. Barn if you only want to sail in macking breezes and tell everyone else they are wrong so be it. If someone else just wants to sail in 5 knots but they are having a good time who the **** are you to tell them they are wrong.

pierrec45
NSW, 2005 posts
1 Sep 2011 12:12AM
Thumbs Up

What other sport do we see participants trying to convince others enjoying themselves, that only their level and what they're doing can possibly be fun?
Hard to think of other examples... Not skiing (I ski a little bit and local 'pros' are happy with beginners - you seldom hear anything bar a few jokes).

Not kiting, that I've seen. Not biking - plenty of guys with expensive bikes, and they're not trying to convince the world that only what they do is fun, or else. Not hockey (can you imagine comparing jockstraps like some compare their brand new boards??). Rugby: doesn't apply, never seen. Not running. Tennis: haven't seen, perhaps a few remarks tops.

Seen only at windsurfing, though never by the top guys. What we read from a few here, I've seen often - 'pro' walks out of his way to tell beginners that it's not fun if not 5 boards and 30 knots.

Heck, if I'm happy with people kiting (which is better than watching TV), sure as hell I'm proud of people getting out windsurfing, learning, getting used to the sport, improving, eventually getting good, all that stuff.

Strange phenom...

(Actually one exception: that show 'what not to wear', the missus watches sometimes.
A couple of dingbats laughing at the way other people dress. I suspect she's the alpha-male in that couple...)

BIGKYM
SA, 127 posts
1 Sep 2011 12:21AM
Thumbs Up

For those of you who have forgot what PASSION for your sport is...Have a look at what Mike Vallely as done over the years for the skateboarding community and his motivation behind the series "DRIVE" very inspirational and the lengths people go to just to ride there skateboards..some people dont have perfect conditions they just love the ride......

Imagine sailing at your local and JP or a similar profile person rocked up, rigged up and sailed with the crew out of the blue, it might not bring new people to the sport....but it sure would be cool

Windxtasy
WA, 4014 posts
31 Aug 2011 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Windsurfing popularity may be declining but this thread certainly isn't...

barn
WA, 2960 posts
1 Sep 2011 7:45AM
Thumbs Up

gregc said...

Barn if you only want to sail in macking breezes and tell everyone else they are wrong so be it. If someone else just wants to sail in 5 knots but they are having a good time who the **** are you to tell them they are wrong.

Can you quote where I actually said people sailing in flat water are wrong to do so?

I know I said plodding was boring, and implied it was Faux Windsurfing, and the people who spend hours on end at it are weirdos.. There was a comparison with alternative dance, and ballett also.. But never did I claim people who still spend hours a week displacing water wrong.. That doesn't even make sense!..

Nothing I said was incorrect, and I think some people here are taking what somebody said on the internet a little bit too seriously...

I still believe it's strange that we call both the following activities Windsurfing.. They are completely different, one is like dinghy sailing with a bendy mast, the other is like surfing the wind..

confused
NSW, 175 posts
1 Sep 2011 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

barn said...

gregc said...

Barn if you only want to sail in macking breezes and tell everyone else they are wrong so be it. If someone else just wants to sail in 5 knots but they are having a good time who the **** are you to tell them they are wrong.

I still believe it's strange that we call both the following activities Windsurfing.. They are completely different, one is like dinghy sailing with a bendy mast, the other is like surfing the wind..

One is what I can do, the other is what I dream of being able to do but am realistic that its not going to happen!!!!

confused
NSW, 175 posts
1 Sep 2011 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

One thing that might help windsurfing is if people didn't sell a beginner formula gear (another thread on this forum), wtf?

busterwa
3777 posts
1 Sep 2011 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

I think that alot of people who try and windsurf find it very difficult and frustrating.Most people who do there first lessons end up with dead arms blisters and a very low sense of accomplishment. Those that have perseverance and time will become windsurfers 4 life!

example...
To be a good windsurfer, you need 3-4 years
to be a good kite surfer takes 5 weeks.

The other main consideration is gear storage and transportation.
The pros and cons are a never ending topic.

Other sports have the same like
bmx vs mountain bike for tricks & dirt-jumping

One big advantage of windsurfing is windsurfers have a good principle understanding of sailing. (Yacht)

KenHo
NSW, 1353 posts
1 Sep 2011 11:44AM
Thumbs Up

confused said...

barn said...

gregc said...

One is what I can do, the other is what I dream of being able to do but am realistic that its not going to happen!!!!

Yeah, I wanna learn the one-handed rail-ride as well.........

SWS
SA, 196 posts
1 Sep 2011 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

KenHo said...

confused said...

barn said...

gregc said...

Don't think it is a rail ride!

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
1 Sep 2011 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

barn said...
Can you quote where I actually said people sailing in flat water are wrong to do so?

We can try...

I know I said plodding was boring, and implied it was Faux Windsurfing, and the people who spend hours on end at it are weirdos.. There was a comparison with alternative dance, and ballett also..

That was easy.

But never did I claim people who still spend hours a week displacing water wrong.. That doesn't even make sense!..

Now I'm confused.

Nothing I said was incorrect...

Dude, where can I get some too? Amsterdam?

, and I think some people here are taking what somebody said on the internet a little bit too seriously...

Meh, it's all cool.

confused
NSW, 175 posts
1 Sep 2011 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

No problem, I can teach you that one.... although it only ever seems to last for about 3 seconds and ends in a swim!!

barn
WA, 2960 posts
1 Sep 2011 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

haha still don't see where I said people were wrong to sail in 5knots.. All those other things I definitely said, and stand by them.. Nothing strictly wrong with interpretive dance either.

It doesn't make sense either, calling something wrong..

fjdoug
ACT, 548 posts
1 Sep 2011 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

what that dude is doing one handed on the wally sure beats what everyone in the background is doing

KenHo
NSW, 1353 posts
1 Sep 2011 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

SWS said...

KenHo said...

confused said...

barn said...

gregc said...

Don't think it is a rail ride!

Um, read my comment again, and interpret.
There is a small joke hidden in there for the observant.

gregc
VIC, 1298 posts
3 Sep 2011 8:50AM
Thumbs Up

Does no one find it strange that in the SUP forum the longest thread is a heap of pics of girls in not much on SUP and here we mustered 3 pages, but this thread has taken over completely. Did anyone watch Grumpy Old Men the TV series? I reckon we have Grumpy Old Forum here

pierrec45
NSW, 2005 posts
3 Sep 2011 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

Shoulda kept quiet - the thread was dead for one day in a row !

barn
WA, 2960 posts
3 Sep 2011 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

This thread has been going since the the internet was forged..

The question was first penned in 1973 when to everyones disbelief a 'complete windsurfer, including wetsuit and zink' was posted for sale on a notice board..

It will never die, it will come back in another form.. Some predictions..

'boards are too expensive, turning people away from the sport'

'Is Kitesurfing becoming less popular (Ergo; windsurfing cool again?)'

'Where is the wind?'

'Alternative sports'

'Help!, Rats ate my wetsuit'

'Help!, Rats ate the foam out of my Bic Veloce'

'Will hollow boards make a comeback?'

'How to replace the foam in a Bic Veloce?'

shear tip
NSW, 1125 posts
3 Sep 2011 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

*bump*

(enjoying my popcorn and waiting for this arvo's seabreeze to kick in)

SWS
SA, 196 posts
3 Sep 2011 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

Once you have see a girl do the splits while doing a rail ride you know what a rail ride is. Revers tilting a board and standing with one foot on the dagger board and the other pulling the rail up is not a rail ride. However the wind in the picture would make it impossible to do a rail ride so his one handed board tip is about as much as one could do in the conditions.

Considering you can still buy a new one design windsurfer is a pretty good effort no other board model comes close to having lasted as long. But then with a black bin bag and a hot day you could make adjustments to its rocker!

Chris 249
NSW, 3330 posts
4 Sep 2011 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Barn

I mentioned my results because at the time I was narked by you insulting me, many of my friends and some of my family with your arrogant claim that anyone who enjoyed light wind dinghy sailing was a weird.

The point was not that I'm some legend, because I am certainly not, but to show that many of us who think that it's wrong to put limits on the sport and say that only planing is "real" windsurfing actually DO know quite a bit about planing windsurfing. There is no great chasm between one type and the other; just as an original Windsurfer in a planing breeze feels different to a modern waveboard, but a rally car on a winding track feels different to a Formula One car on the straight, but they are both still cars.

Just because you don't enjoy something, whether it's scrabble or light winds, does not mean that it's boring. To call it boring IS an insult, just as slagging off someone just because they dare to find other things enjoyable is an insult.

I don't know why you have to slag off people who enjoy things you don't enjoy, but I assume that is why you are so hostile to my basic point which is that the sport may be harming itself by having a narrow focus. The fact that high wind high performance windsurfing is fantastic doesn't mean that other windsurfing isn't great, just like the fact that there are F1 cars doesn't mean that driving other cars isn't fun, just like the fact that the existence of tow-in surfing at Jaws doesn't mean that a clean 4' at North Narra isn't fun.

Don't bother replying because it's not worth reading posts from someone who thinks that he is the sole judge of what a sport ism why its name has to change, and what is boring or not.

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
4 Sep 2011 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Barn asked me to tell you that the above post is boring and no one should participate in the reading of it and if they do they are an idiotLOL

Chris 249
NSW, 3330 posts
4 Sep 2011 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

KenHo said...

Well, I went to Canada for 2 weeks and came back cannilingual.
Musta been cos I was on one of those wankers ski-ing holidays.
Call myself a skier ?? Hmmffff !! Get off my lawn !!

I prefer the term "board-sailing" for the slow stuff. I don't think you can say "windsurfing" unless there is a chance of a wave, or a least a chop-hop.

Let's face it. BArn is right. It's a pig of a sport to learn, and is total pants compared to the endless other options on offer.
Chris is right too, when he says simple is more appealing to he LCD. It's bleeding obvious when he points it out. He's still wrong about it more gear oriented than other sports though.
Is not the correct number of bicyles to own "n+1" where "n" is the number currently owned ??

Can't agree about the sport not being "windsurfing" unless there's waves; it's not what the term was meant by those who created the word and sport, and it also means that the world slalom and Formula champs aren't "windsurfing" if the water is flat, nor are speed attempts in the Trench or at Sandy. Nor would spocks or flakas be "windsurfing" in flat water.

Secondly, I can't recall any other sport where people say that the original style of doing that sport has to be called by a new name. Lots of sports develop, but the original style is still called by the same name.

It's not a pig of a sport to learn unless we define what the sport is in a way that "learning to windsurf" means learning how to do the harder things like carve gybes or sailing in waves, and then you could say the same about any sport.

As I mentioned earlier, I may not have been clear enough about the bike analogy. While some cyclists can be snobby, very few of them try to limit the sport like some windsurfers do. I've never met any rider who said that "low performance" or old-style cycling (i.e. riding a '70s Malvern Star to the shops) isn't bike riding, or that downhill MTBing is cycling but track isn't.

And the main point was that almost every bike is designed to be so versatile that it can be used almost every day. You can ride a time trial bike with Zipps to work any day if you want to, and my mother-in-law could almost certainly get around the block on Cadel's TT bike. That's a far cry from some limited visiions of windsurfing, where it's said that the only real windsurfing involves gear most people couldn't use or that can't be used on many days.

Anyway, since saying "this is a great and versatile sport with lots of wonderful ways to have fun" apparently annoys many people, I'm outa here.

Mrgob
116 posts
4 Sep 2011 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

A fact of life is that most people grow up, and suffer the seven year itch. (Or, in the case of windsurfing, the 30 year, been there, done that, itch!)

The enduring thing to me is the longboard. It's what first brought many into windsurfing only to be discarded in the stampede for high octane action, which so rarely happens because the wind doesn't oblige. The long board memories patiently tug away in the back of our jaded minds, and we veterans eventually succumb to their magic once again.

I've never been without a long board for the last 30 years, but was far too focussed on the short board action for too many years. Over the last four years, the longboard enthusiasm has re built, and it now equals the short board in time on the water.There is no other board so versatile, in such a range of 'average' winds and sea states. If it blows up my Kona 1 will happily blast along in the mid 20m.p.h. range, and if the breeze backs off I glide along and GO somewhere. (Cruise.) There is no danger of not being able to get back with a daggerboard, and If cruising, I carry split kayak paddles on deck just in case the breeze dies.

My latest buy is the Mahalo tandem board for carrying minimal camping gear on 2 to 3 day journeys.Those who appreciate the long board 'feel' will see where I'm coming from. Those who have only ever been short board high octane windsurfers will eventually become bored after long enough, and move on to other sports. Seen it happen to far too many others!

SWS
SA, 196 posts
7 Sep 2011 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

Mrgob said...

My latest buy is the Mahalo tandem board for carrying minimal camping gear on 2 to 3 day journeys.Those who appreciate the long board 'feel' will see where I'm coming from. Those who have only ever been short board high octane windsurfers will eventually become bored after long enough, and move on to other sports. Seen it happen to far too many others!

2 to 3 day journeys is that out on the sea?

Have to agree time on the water is what counts regardless of the conditions and a long board helps you do that.

jermaldan
VIC, 1572 posts
7 Sep 2011 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

I cant believe that this thread is still going on. are we going for a seabreeze record or something?

felixdcat
WA, 3519 posts
7 Sep 2011 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

12 yet ?
trying to push it!

barn
WA, 2960 posts
7 Sep 2011 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Chris 249 said...

Barn

Don't bother replying because it's not worth reading posts from someone who thinks that he is the sole judge of what a sport ism why its name has to change, and what is boring or not.

Windsurfer falling off the plane is a Windsurfer that has stopped working..

Everybody gets annoyed when their windsurfer stops working..

Longboarding was once extremely popular, and died in the ass, everybody got bored.. Longboarding hasn't changed since we sacked it off eons ago... It's delusional to think that a sport people gave up 30 years ago that has remained unchanged will suddenly become popular again..

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
7 Sep 2011 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

felixdcat said...

12 yet ?
trying to push it!

Shortboard forum has longer threads than this, and this thread is pants on a massive scale!!

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Is windsurfing popularity still declining?" started by SWS